PDA

View Full Version : Ladder Style Rail Covers

No Bananas
10-23-08, 12:15
Just slapped on a pair of MI's tactical rail handgaurds (two-piece non-free float type). Like em. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting some rail covers to protect em. I'm not planning on taking any couses at present, and don't plan on beating the tar out of it. Maybe someday when I have more time. I pretty much got the rails so I could put a VFG on it.

So, I don't think I need any heavy tudy covers. How's about the low Profile Rail Cover Ladder Style? Get the job done?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Rail%20Cover%20Low%20Pro%20Black-2.jpg

chadbag
10-23-08, 12:29
Just a note: whenever you see these ladder rails, in my experience, they are all from Ergo (Falcon Industries), even when sold by Magpul, DD, Mako, etc. May help in your shopping since they are really all the same thing.

One exception seems to be Surefire ladder rails. They look different than the others though I have not had them in hand, only in a pic

markm
10-23-08, 12:32
That's what I run on my MI free float rail. The MI rail is so friggin wide that I couldn't put KAC panals on it. The ladder things work good enough.

CDDM416
10-23-08, 12:50
one more vote for da ladders,
i like the way i can trim them to fit for any accy.
i dont know that you can with the cover type.

i do not like the price though,,:mad:

markm
10-23-08, 13:04
i dont know that you can with the cover type.

You can depending on the kind. But the ladders you can do with your pocket knife.

RWK
10-23-08, 13:42
Just a note: whenever you see these ladder rails, in my experience, they are all from Ergo (Falcon Industries), even when sold by Magpul, DD, Mako, etc. May help in your shopping since they are really all the same thing.

Even the SureFire ladders? They seem to be a different animal than the others.

chadbag
10-23-08, 13:46
I have not seen the Surefire ladder rails, but everyone else I have seen that has them are just reselling the Ergo ones. Surefire does not show them on their website so I could not take a look. Do you have a pic?

RWK
10-23-08, 14:32
I have not seen the Surefire ladder rails, but everyone else I have seen that has them are just reselling the Ergo ones. Surefire does not show them on their website so I could not take a look. Do you have a pic?

Here's a link to a photo on Grant's site: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=Z70

chadbag
10-23-08, 14:37
Here's a link to a photo on Grant's site: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=Z70

Yes, those are different. I will amend my original post. Almost all the ladder rails out there being sold by different companies (Magpul, etc) are made by Ergo/Falcon. Surefire seems to be an exception, and there may be others.

CDDM416
10-23-08, 15:10

thats a hell of better price then what i paid. 12.00ea

austinN4
10-23-08, 16:04
I use the ladder style rail covers that came with my DD Omega and have not felt the need to replace them.

beavo451
10-23-08, 20:09
The SF ladder covers are also more flexible and easier to put on than the Ergo ones.

Joe_Friday
10-23-08, 20:21
+1 on the Surefires!

chadbag
10-23-08, 20:27
I use the ladder style rail covers that came with my DD Omega and have not felt the need to replace them.

Those are the Ergo/Falcon Industries ones and are the same ones Magpul sells as ladder rails. (The other Magpul rails are not the same as Ergo ones AFAICT)

Abraxas
10-23-08, 20:35

Same here, though my DD is not an Omega

Azrael2004
10-23-08, 22:05
I prefer the ladder covers as they don't add as much bulk to the rail diameter.
I have used the Surefire, Falcon and Ergo ladders. The Falcon ladders are even marked ErgoGrips on the bottom.
The Ergo's offer much better protection for the rails than the Surefire's do.
The Surefire ladders will protect your hands from sharp rail edges, but aren't going to protect the rails from much of a hit.
Once I went to the Ergo ladders I got rid of the Surefire's on all but my top rails