PDA

View Full Version : Full Auto BCG in SemiAuto AR15??

daved
10-23-08, 13:47
I've been unable to find an LMT S/A BCG to complete my build but have found a retailer with a F/A version in stock. Are there any problems using this in my S/A build?

Boss302
10-23-08, 13:57
the heavier F/A M16 BCG is usually preferred over the Semi carrier. I have two BCM F/A BCGs and an LMT F/A BCG in my rifles, not a hiccup.

markm
10-23-08, 14:11
I wouldn't use anything BUT the F/A... even if I had to wait to get one.

MassMark
10-23-08, 14:13
Buy a BCM M-16 BCG and live a happy, happy life.....

Txs
10-23-08, 15:41
These are the weight of BCG that Eugene Stoner originally designed this rifle to use. Each derivative of the semiauto version became lighter, causing greater and greater compromises in functional performance.

Now that installing one in a non-F/A has been decriminalized they're the only way to go.

krichbaum
10-23-08, 15:56
I wouldn't use anything BUT the F/A... even if I had to wait to get one.

Can I ask what the reasons are behind that? I've heard a few people say that, but I'd like to know why. Is it because you can run a standard carbine buffer and get proper operation with most ammo? FWIW, I use the F/A version in all my carbines because it seems to be recommended.

Or...I could search :)

austinN4
10-23-08, 16:01
I would if I could find one in stock somewhere!

Boss302
10-23-08, 16:05
I would if I could find one in stock somewhere!

Global Tactical has LMT M16 BCG in stock.

http://global-tactical.com/lmtm16orar15boltcarriergroupscomplete.aspx

austinN4
10-23-08, 16:21
Global Tactical has LMT M16 BCG in stock.
LMT yes, BMC, no.

Boss302
10-23-08, 16:23
LMT yes, BMC, no.

It's the next best thing. It all depends on how patient you are willing to be. LMT now or wait for BCM.

austinN4
10-23-08, 16:30
It's the next best thing.Says it all. :D

MassMark
10-23-08, 17:53
Have you checked G&R? It's where I got mine - is Grant out?

rykyard
10-23-08, 18:03
Have you checked G&R? It's where I got mine - is Grant out?

BCM F/A BCG out of stock, so says the website

markm
10-23-08, 18:23
Can I ask what the reasons are behind that? I've heard a few people say that, but I'd like to know why. Is it because you can run a standard carbine buffer and get proper operation with most ammo? FWIW, I use the F/A version in all my carbines because it seems to be recommended.

It's the original and correct part for one. The carrier cocks the hammer for two. On the emasculated carriers the firing pin cocks the hammer. You get more retaining pin damage and such.

The weight has nothing to do with it for me. If I need more weight, I'll change buffers. I have guns that run like champs with the wimped out carrier. But if I'm buying/building something new, I always go with the correct and original part.

daved
10-23-08, 18:53
Looks like I lucked out finding the F/A version of the LMT.

Out of curiosity, why is the BCM more desirable than LMT?

krichbaum
10-23-08, 19:19
It's the original and correct part for one. The carrier cocks the hammer for two. On the emasculated carriers the firing pin cocks the hammer. You get more retaining pin damage and such.

The weight has nothing to do with it for me. If I need more weight, I'll change buffers. I have guns that run like champs with the wimped out carrier. But if I'm buying/building something new, I always go with the correct and original part.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

mtk
10-23-08, 19:38
Another reason is downstream compatibility.

While I don't yet own an M16, I will eventually. This way, all my uppers will interchange. Every one is ready to go.

God bless Stag for making a Lefty M16 bolt carrier to go with their lefty upper. ;)