PDA

View Full Version : Grip reduction process?

theJanitor
10-23-08, 16:33
what does a gunsmith actually do when reducing the grip on a glock. i'm debating buying a G17 and having it done, but i want to know what the actual process is.

Do they fill up the gap in the frame with a polymer and then cut the grip down? or do they section a portion of the backstrap out and "weld" the two sides back together?

John Fettes
10-23-08, 16:41
Do they fill up the gap in the frame with a polymer and then cut the grip down?

I think that is basically what some folks do. Others carefully heat the backstrap and reshape it.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=381

John

senorlinc
10-24-08, 22:04
the "robarising" precess seems to be popular

http://www.robarguns.com/glock.htm

Business_Casual
10-24-08, 22:37
Have you looked at the M&P 9? The backstraps come in three sizes and the grip angle is closer to the 1911. Just a thought.

M_P

wahoo95
10-24-08, 23:48
Most will fill the gap and then reduce. I HIGHLY recommend Wendell Tactical Concepts!!!! I have two pistols done by him......my OD Green G24 is pictured on his website:

http://www.wendelltacticalconcepts.com/Examples.htm

bigghoss
10-27-08, 21:20
do you absolutely HAVE to have a glock? I'd recommend finding a gun the comes with a grip more to your liking to start with rather than spending all that extra money. but if thats what you really want then go for it.

Abraxas
10-27-08, 21:50
do you absolutely HAVE to have a glock? I'd recommend finding a gun the comes with a grip more to your liking to start with rather than spending all that extra money. but if thats what you really want then go for it.

I agree with your sentiment, but some agency's , for example the US Marshall's, you can have any gun you want as long as it is a .40 Glock, or whatever gun it is that they want you to have. If you don't like how the glock feels they do allow you to have it reshaped (by approved business) but that is it you have to have a glock. But for everyone who does not have agency requirements then I agree with you

bigghoss
10-27-08, 21:54
true, thats what I meant when I asked if he had to have a glock. I should have slipped an "if not" in there. thats how it sounded in my head. but anywho...

Gutshot John
10-27-08, 22:24

Many people, myself included, have bought guns that "felt" good, only to shoot like shit.

There is no such thing as a perfect pistol. For myriad reasons some people have been known to like the Glock, a lot.

I'm not sure what "extra" money you're talking about. I had a grip reduction, reliability/trigger job, half moon cutouts, fiber-optic front sight, stippling/radiused frame for about 2 bills. Still cheaper than a new HK or Sig. Few guns are as cheap to customize as the Glock.

The process used was to cut a swage out of the bankstrap and then reattach, mold it smaller. He also squared it of slightly. Combined with the stippling, the my modified 19 and 34 don't "spin" in my hand anymore when it gets sweaty.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/GutshotJohn/DSC_0540.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/GutshotJohn/DSC_1087.jpg

ToddG
10-27-08, 22:37
I'm not sure what "extra" money you're talking about. I had a grip reduction, reliability/trigger job, half moon cutouts, fiber-optic front sight, stippling/radiused frame for about 2 bills.

I'm just guessing, but I'd assume that "extra" money he was talking about is the $200 you're talking about.

Did that include shipping charges, if any?

Still cheaper than a new HK or Sig.

Really? I'm pretty sure I can find a SIG or HK for about $200 more than a Glock. But admittedly, I don't pay enough attention to retail prices so correct me if my assumption is wrong.

I can certainly find an M&P or XDM for that money, and still have plenty left over.

If a chopped and remolded Glock floats someone's boat, more power to him. But let's not pretend it's free of charge, and let's not ignore the fact that there are other stock guns out there that can achieve similar results for similar (or less) money.

bigghoss
10-27-08, 22:39
Many people, myself included, have bought guns that "felt" good, only to shoot like shit.

well if the possibility exists he should try before he buys. he mentioned he's THINKING about getting the glock. if he doesn't need or really want a glock the he'd probly be better off getting something that fits his hand better to start.

I'm not sure what "extra" money you're talking about. I had a grip reduction, reliability/trigger job, half moon cutouts, fiber-optic front sight, stippling/radiused frame for about 2 bills. Still cheaper than a new HK or Sig. Few guns are as cheap to customize as the Glock.

thats still more than an XD or M&P

on another note I've just realized that I've circumvented the OP's original question and turned the thread into more of a debate of weather or not to get the process done when all he wanted to know was how it was done.
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/hijack/Hijack-Punk.jpg
I would like to appologize for this. sorry for the unitentional hijack

Gutshot John
10-27-08, 22:46
I'm just guessing, but I'd assume that "extra" money he was talking about is the $200 you're talking about.

Did that include shipping charges, if any?

Nope, I handed it to him, and he handed it back, but I concede someone might have to pay shipping.

Really? I'm pretty sure I can find a SIG or HK or about $200 more than a Glock. But admittedly, I don't pay enough attention to retail prices so correct me if my assumption is wrong.

Maybe right, maybe wrong, but most I see seem to run in the 800-900 dollar range. I'm sure a top-notch shooter/industry pro like you can find better prices than I can.

I can certainly find an M&P or XDM for that money, and still have plenty left over.

I'm sure you can, and while the M&P might be a decent choice, good luck finding parts on the XDM without sending it to the factory, oops and better tack on shipping. Most custom gunsmithing I see on the M&P remains in the 2-300 range.

If a chopped and remolded Glock floats someone's boat, more power to him. But let's not pretend it's free of charge, and let's not ignore the fact that there are other stock guns out there that can achieve similar results for similar (or less) money.

Nobody said it was "free" of charge, so I'm not sure where you're getting that.

I'm sure others can achieve similar results but that doesn't mean you should pick a gun based on feel.

bigghoss
10-27-08, 22:49
since this is pretty much my fault I'll do what I can...

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/hijack/Hijack-No.gif

what does a gunsmith actually do when reducing the grip on a glock. i'm debating buying a G17 and having it done, but i want to know what the actual process is.

Do they fill up the gap in the frame with a polymer and then cut the grip down? or do they section a portion of the backstrap out and "weld" the two sides back together?

theJanitor
10-27-08, 23:06
bigghoss, no biggie. the discussion has everything to do with the glock grip reduction ;)

bigghoss
10-27-08, 23:11
bigghoss, no biggie. the discussion has everything to do with the glock grip reduction ;)

oh good. I know somtimes when I'm trying to make a decision and ask a specific question it's annoying when a bunch of people chime in with things I've already considered and didn't ask about, wich is what I did.

well I've already chimed in, just make sure you consider all your options before you spend the money. though I doubt you'll have remorse over a glock!

ToddG
10-27-08, 23:12
Maybe right, maybe wrong, but most I see seem to run in the 800-900 dollar range.

Yeesh! If anyone is paying $900 for a box stock standard SIG, he gets what he deserves.

I'm sure you can, and while the M&P might be a decent choice, good luck finding parts on the XDM without sending it to the factory, oops and better tack on shipping. Most custom gunsmithing I see on the M&P remains in the 2-300 range.

I was unclear, sorry. My point is that if the M&P as is or the XDM as is fits the bill, it's substantially less expensive than a Glock + $200 for work.

I think most action jobs on the M&P go for less than $100, but if you're including grip re-shaping, texturing, etc. then I'm sure it's every bit as expensive as doing the same to a Glock.

Nobody said it was "free" of charge, so I'm not sure where you're getting that.

From your response to bigghoss, to whit: "I'm not sure what 'extra' money you're talking about."

I'm sure others can achieve similar results but that doesn't mean you should pick a gun based on feel.

I'd agree with that absolutely, and in fact I think there was a thread here not too long ago about that. We talk about it on the mp-pistol forum all the time. People choose the grip strap that feels best rather than the one that shoots best.

Gutshot John
10-27-08, 23:23
I was unclear, sorry. My point is that if the M&P as is or the XDM as is fits the bill, it's substantially less expensive than a Glock + $200 for work.

Perhaps I was unclear, my point was that you're assuming the M&P "as is" fits the bill for everyone, but you still see people who send the M&P in for custom gunsmithing. Some people like the Glock as is, some don't. Some like the M&P as is, some don't.

I think most action jobs on the M&P go for less than $100, but if you're including grip re-shaping, texturing, etc. then I'm sure it's every bit as expensive as doing the same to a Glock.

I was talking about doing the mods I listed.

From your response to bigghoss, to whit: "I'm not sure what 'extra' money you're talking about."

Understood, but I was talking thinking more about a stock Sig/Hk. Customizing an M&P makes the prices approx equal so there really isn't "extra" money.

I'd agree with that absolutely, and in fact I think there was a thread here not too long ago about that. We talk about it on the mp-pistol forum all the time. People choose the grip strap that feels best rather than the one that shoots best.

See we can agree. :)

bigghoss
10-27-08, 23:25
why can't we all just get a long-neck?
http://www.hollandbymail.nl/item_list/heineken/longneck.jpg:D

ToddG
10-27-08, 23:29
why can't we all just get a long-neck?
http://www.hollandbymail.nl/item_list/heineken/longneck.jpg:D

I don't drink.

Perhaps I was unclear, my point was that you're assuming the M&P "as is" fits the bill for everyone,

Nooooooooo, that's why I specifically used the word IF in front of the statement. To quote: "if the M&P as is or the XDM as is fits the bill ... "(emphasis added)

Understood, but I was talking thinking more about a stock Sig/Hk. Customizing an M&P makes the prices approx equal so there really isn't "extra" money.

That's where the disconnect continues. I'm not saying they're inequal if you spend the same amount of money on the gun and then spend an equal amount of money on mods. In the context of this thread, which is about reducing the grip size of the Glock, the point is that other guns can achieve that reduced grip size without the added expense of a grip reduction.

bigghoss
10-27-08, 23:37
how about this?:

if he really wants/has to get a glock and he doesn't like the feel he can get the reduction

if he isn't particularly attached/required to get a glock then he can try something else.

I don't drink either but after seeing the direction this is heading I could use a beer.

Gutshot John
10-27-08, 23:47
In the context of this thread, which is about reducing the grip size of the Glock, the point is that other guns can achieve that reduced grip size without the added expense of a grip reduction.

We may be talking in circles.

Is the point to achieve a reduced grip? or is the point to make the gun fit the individual?

Lots of people chose the Glock (or any other handgun) for myriad reasons...just like I said at the beginning. Too big a grip is not going to be a disqualifying factor for someone who prefers the Glock.

Would the Glock be improved with an interchangeable backstrap? I'd agree, but then their sales don't seem to be suffering.

theJanitor
10-28-08, 00:13
lol, i'm definitely going to get Todd's M&P when it's available...

I'm a 1911 guy and i've never given the glock a fair shake as it's felt "slippery" in my sweaty paws and seem to turn in my grip as i squeeze harder. i'm pretty sure i'm going to get one to train with and maybe compete with it. i just wanted to know what the process was if i wasn't completely happy with the gun and i wanted to mod it (a habit with my 1911's).

ToddG
10-28-08, 01:22
Tinkering with a 1911 is almost a rite of passage. Not for the shooter, but for the gun. A 1911 isn't a real 1911 until it's been tweaked or personalized in some way. :cool:

A modern service gun shouldn't require that. But that doesn't mean it's wrong to change grips, sights, etc.

While I'm certainly no Glock cheerleader, if the only problem you're having is traction I'd recommend getting some skateboard tape as a start. Tacky up the gripping surfaces and see if the gun runs to your satisfaction. If so, you can either leave the tape on or, if you're going to be carrying it, you might want to have someone stipple the grip frame for you to make it coarser.

bigghoss
10-28-08, 09:45
I did the grip tape on my 2 rugers and it's the best thing I've found to improve grip on the gun. you can usually find it in the paint section of the hardware store in 1-6" widths

markm
10-28-08, 09:56
I've never seen any of these Glock, hack grip mods that didn't look like a meth head with a soldering iron went ape shit on the frame.

There's just too many special needs shooters in this world.

andre3k
10-28-08, 10:25
I think the guy that did mine did a decent job. Had him add in a magwell and beavertail. May not be everyones cup of tea but it fits my hand perfect now and grips better. At least it doesn't look like a gallon of bedliner was poured on it.

http://i26.tinypic.com/fe2hz5.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/11l1w8y.jpg

http://i32.tinypic.com/rr6qf8.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/11hudmg.jpg

Gutshot John
10-28-08, 13:19
I've never seen any of these Glock, hack grip mods that didn't look like a meth head with a soldering iron went ape shit on the frame.

Pretty is as pretty does. Heat stippling works. Nothing pretty about the Glock to begin with.

There's just too many special needs shooters in this world.

Spoken like a true right-handed, left-brained shooter.