PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 or CD D-M4LE

CrawGator
10-23-08, 17:20
The Colt costs $260 more than the CD and will take several weeks longer to get in.

Is the Colt worth the difference? If so, what makes that so? I notice the Colt has a few features different than the CD, but the CD has lifetime warranty and the Colt only 1 year.

They both seem to be very similar in features. I do not have any local that I can go check out personally.

Thanks!

Buck
10-23-08, 17:29
IMHO, CD makes a great AR, but a Colt is a Colt...

Hope this helps

B

CrawGator
10-23-08, 17:35
IMHO, CD makes a great AR, but a Colt is a Colt...

Hope this helps

B

Can you elaborate? I'm new to the scene and trying to learn all I can. I have read as much as I can here and other places but actual owners opinions help. Especially those who may have both of these models!

spamsammich
10-23-08, 17:42
Read the sticky at the top of this discussion forum, the comparison chart.

Better yet, read both of the stickies and all the threads associated with them.

JBnTX
10-23-08, 17:54
I just bought two Colt 6920s and both are absolutely perfect in every way.
Fit and finish is flawless with very little wobble between the upper and lower
receivers.

A common problem with ARs is that many require excessive windage adjustment to zero.
It's just the nature of the design.

Both of my Colt 6920s required no windage adjustment to zero.
They both hit dead on at 200 yds with the windage knob perfectly centered.
This means that the barrel/receiver assembly was put together properly
by someone who knew what they were doing.

Colt has a greater re-sell value. A local gunshop has about 10 used ARs for sale on consignment.
They have DPMS, Armalite, Bushmaster and just about every AR maker you can name, except Colt.

I asked the salesman why no Colts, he replied, "cause Colts sell".

Why are all those ARs for sale?

What company has made more M-16s/AR-15s longer than the rest?

Be leery of those that cheer about other AR brands just to be different
or make you think they have some special insight as to the quality of ARs.

The Colt 6920 is the gold standard by which all the others are judged.

Why is everything always compared to a Colt?
You never hear of any other brand being constantly compared to?

RogerinTPA
10-23-08, 18:17
Colt is the gold standard for M4geries, but...if you have a tight budget, and or have no need for all the mil spec stuff, you will be well served to get a CD M-4. It is well built and the only AR I would consider outside the top 3, Colt, Noveske and LMT.

OCTAVIOUS
10-23-08, 18:28
Hi all, this is my first post on this site. I must say that this thread is right up my alley from last week.

I went through the same question in my mind for the last 3 weeks.

I had the money for either but I decided on the M4Le-Daly.

(ordered it monday the 20th)

I went for the Value ratio. and spent the extra on Ammo.

re-sale pushes you to Colt but I went for the underdog.

Colt is certainly a prize but not worth the extra to me.

I thank you for this great site.

bullitt5172
10-23-08, 19:53
I own both and honestly it's a toss up. Yes, the Colt is "worth" more and may have a few more checkmarks on the "list" but the CD is one hell of a gun. If I ground off the rollmark and handed them both to someone it would be very hard to tell them apart.

Get what you want as they are both top quality AR's.

jakerudy
10-23-08, 22:44
My local dealer - who I would trust with anything - has sold me 2 S&W M&P's and a Colt 6920. All 3 cycle every time I pull the trigger and seem to be reasonably accurate.

He is also a part time gunsmith so has worked on many AR's through the years and said you see the differences in materials and over time. Again this info is according to a person I trust but not my experience. He has cut a few 20" barrels down and says the Colt barrels are much more difficult to cut due to hardness. Also a local guy runs some training classes and has an old SP-1 that my dealer has put 4 barrels on. 2 of the barrels have been Colt and 2 of other manufacture ( he didn't say what brand). According to him the Colt barrels lasted a lot longer - don't know how many rounds was a lot but do know this customer shoots extensively.

I'm real close to buying another AR before the election and if I do it will be another Colt. Hope this helps some.

DarrinD
10-24-08, 01:32
Until FN starts making civilian M4's, I have and would only consider Colts. Call it brand loyalty. Call it devotion to the post above that, along with my M&P, it goes bang every time I pull the trigger even under high rate of fire, high heat conditions. It's just a joy to shoot and own.

DarrinD
10-24-08, 02:27
Colt is the gold standard for M4geries, but....
I know the term M4gery is used all the time, but still question its applicability to some of the brands, especially the Colt 6920 which shares nearly all of the same components as the .mil version except for barrel length and a selector switch. It's even marketed in many places as a Colt LE M4. Just thinking out loud, but forgery brings "fake collapsying stock" to mind and similar oddities.

jchen012
10-24-08, 06:08
Colt may be the best, but only by a little. I think CD makes a grat product. Also it is a pain (for me) when it comes to getting parts for a Colt. For example, if I wanted to upgrade the trigger, the pin size would be different than all the other AR brands. Why oh why can't they just conform to everyone else...

JBnTX
10-24-08, 10:43
.... Also it is a pain (for me) when it comes to getting parts for a Colt.... Why oh why can't they just conform to everyone else...

Because they're Colt.

If they conformed to everyone else's standard, then they would be just
like everyone else.

Once again, we have Colt and all the rest.

Colt is clearly the standard.

CrawGator
10-24-08, 11:48
Colt may be the best, but only by a little. I think CD makes a grat product. Also it is a pain (for me) when it comes to getting parts for a Colt. For example, if I wanted to upgrade the trigger, the pin size would be different than all the other AR brands. Why oh why can't they just conform to everyone else...

That is one of my concerns. I am told that most companies will offer a Colt version but haven't verified that yet. I am leaning toward the CD for the simple fact it seems a good quality weapon and is a good chunk cheaper. I could get it and a case of ammo for the cost of the Colt. I'm not totally convinced yet but the CD seems to have alot going for it.

A bit off the original topic, but several have recommended LMT. I'll have to check into them more closely.

JBnTX
10-24-08, 12:18
That is one of my concerns. I am told that most companies will offer a Colt version but haven't verified that yet. ...

I've never understood this thing about oversized Colt pins.

The pins that come with the gun will more than likely last the life
of the rifle. If you should encounter a problem, why not just replace them
with Colt pins? One replacement set of Colt pins will undoubtedly ensure
the functionality of the rifle far beyond it's expected life span.

Anyway, Have you seen this?
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410

Those could very well be pictures of the Colt 6920.
Looks like a good alternative to the Colt.

Honu
10-24-08, 12:31
$260 over say 10 years or 20 years is nothing if you really want the colt but its price just get the colt

I would say if the two guns were there laying on a table and were a gift which one would you pick up ;)

personally I might only buy Noveske,LMT and Colt (in no particular order) those are the top 3 IMHO and many others so why even look at anything else when there are 3 better choices ???

LMT Pistons and the MRP are unique and the basic LMT is quite reasonable on cost

Colt is a Colt its top notch has a top notch name and holds its value

Noveske has the barrels and top notch build going for them
you wil always hear people say Noveske Barrels are top notch !!

ToeCutter
10-25-08, 03:13
C D should stick to Fudd guns! They are late to the AR-15 party as far as I am concerned.:p

ralph
10-25-08, 03:39
C D should stick to Fudd guns! They are late to the AR-15 party as far as I am concerned.:p

Would you care to elaborate??

austinN4
10-25-08, 07:38
The Colt costs $260 more than the CD and will take several weeks longer to get in. Is the Colt worth the difference? If so, what makes that so? I notice the Colt has a few features different than the CD, but the CD has lifetime warranty and the Colt only 1 year. They both seem to be very similar in features. I do not have any local that I can go check out personally.
Only $260 difference? I am seeing the CDDM4LE steet priced around $900 and have read reports of the them priced around $850. Assuming a $900 price for the CD, where are you finding 6920s for $1,160?

FWIW, the Colt should hold its value better than the CD. Also, I wouldn't let the Colt 1 year warranty bother me. Colt has been buillding them a lot longer than CD.

CrawGator
10-25-08, 10:10

That statement makes no sense. Can you explain?

I by no means am an expert in the AR platform but I did carry several versions during a 10 year stint in the military.
I don't think late to the game matters. Especially in this case when it seems the builder researched what makes a quality weapon and offer one that seems to compete with weapons from folks that have been in the game for a while at a cost that is considerably less.

I am not one to be a fan boy of anything just for the sake of brand loyalty. I search out the facts as best I can and make a decision based on those facts.

CrawGator
10-25-08, 10:14
Only $260 difference? I am seeing the CDDM4LE steet priced around $900 and have read reports of the them priced around $850. Assuming a $900 price for the CD, where are you finding 6920s for $1,160?

FWIW, the Colt should hold its value better than the CD. Also, I wouldn't let the Colt 1 year warranty bother me. Colt has been buillding them a lot longer than CD.

Suffice to say that is the price difference between the 2 for me. :D

I don't doubt it will have a higher resale value. It should as it costs more! Everyone has the same argument over diesel vs gas truck motors. The question is is the higher cost justified in actual weapon performance and reliability.

austinN4
10-25-08, 10:22
I don't doubt it will have a higher resale value. It should as it costs more!
No, not because it costs more. I am referring to resale value as a percentage of original cost. The Colt, because its high desirablility and status to some as a collector item, will result in a resale of a higher percentage of original cost. The CD does not enjoy that status.

bullitt5172
10-25-08, 10:24

Try doing some research before you make ignorant statements about a site sponsor :rolleyes:

mario
10-25-08, 10:47
The CD is very, very nice weapon and you should be able to get one for 350. to 400. less than a Colt. If I needed another AR it would be a CD

Skyviking
10-25-08, 11:44
I would buy the Colt LE6920 or a Noveske Light Recce 16 Basic. Those two have mil-spec or better parts. Most AR15 cloners put out a fairly decent rifle, but the price difference between them isn't necessarily due to the "Name Factor". Read the sticky about the quality of the parts that go in the various mfgr's ARs -and their level of inspection/proofing. For military or LE use, give me a Colt, Noveske, or LMT. I was recently told by someone held in high esteem by the small arms and SpecOps cognescenti - as well as the people on these boards - that Daniel Defense is getting ready to make a run at becoming the premier AR mfgr. Their current stuff is pretty GTG, so we'll see.

I just voted with my money. While I have 3 Colts, I just ordered a couple of the above-styled Noveskes instead of LE6920s since they come with a Troy BUIS in place of the carry hande I would normally ditch/sell. They will go to Grant for Daniel Defense Lite Rails and BFG's improved RediMags. YMMV, but when the "mileage" is measured in your lifespan, a few more bucks spent now is the best life insurance you'll ever live to see collected.

Regards,
Skyviking

Shihan
10-25-08, 13:04
With the times being the way they are if I didnt own any others I would use the differance in $ and buy 2 CD's with some added$.

CrawGator
10-25-08, 14:52
No, not because it costs more. I am referring to resale value as a percentage of original cost. The Colt, because its high desirablility and status to some as a collector item, will result in a resale of a higher percentage of original cost. The CD does not enjoy that status.

Ahhh, Gotcha! :)

texasyid
10-25-08, 18:47
$260 over say 10 years or 20 years is nothing if you really want the colt but its price just get the colt
+1
Colt was the only game in town when I started shooting these things. I have always stuck with Colt and have never been disappointed. I don't have every one of the latest gadgets hanging off my Colts ( although there are some that are worthwhile) and I don't have a tactical visor or anything it's just my humble opinion.

JBnTX
10-25-08, 18:56
+1
Colt was the only game in town when I started shooting these things. I have always stuck with Colt and have never been disappointed. I don't have every one of the latest gadgets hanging off my Colts ( although there are some that are worthwhile) and I don't have a tactical visor or anything it's just my humble opinion.

I thought I was the only one here with a resume' like that.

The only "gadget" I have is a TA-01 NSN ACOG.

Sage
10-25-08, 20:12
I've looked for a long time at the AR's, and knowing the Colt to be everything they claim to be, I was still hesitant about getting one. Then I saw the CD's, and began following the reports of their test guns. I was hooked. I now own one, and couldn't be any happier. They are a very well built piece of armory.

Valhalla79
10-26-08, 08:26
Just to clarify a little because I am slow.... which one did you purchase again?

Walkalong
10-26-08, 09:29
I am no expert for sure, but I was having trouble getting a LMT lower right now, so I bought a CD complete lower and I am very pleased with it. :D

I can always buy a LMT etc later. (I hope :()

CrawGator
10-26-08, 09:44
Just to clarify a little because I am slow.... which one did you purchase again?

I haven't purchased yet.

Valhalla79
10-26-08, 10:58
Which one did you decide on then?

CrawGator
10-26-08, 11:04
Which one did you decide on then?

I haven't yet. Leaning toward the CD. Several suggested I look at the LMT so I am doing that as well.

I plan to buy next week. :D

texasyid
10-26-08, 14:59
Whichever you choose enjoy shooting it. That's what it's all about.

Submariner
10-26-08, 20:42
+1
Colt was the only game in town when I started shooting these things. I have always stuck with Colt and have never been disappointed.

I, too, started with Colts back in '85. Stocks and barrels have been replaced with other Colt parts since '98 (anyone remember YTM?) After taking Dean Caputo's class, I was pleasantly surprised that I made a good choice.

austinN4
10-26-08, 20:52
I haven't yet. Leaning toward the CD. Several suggested I look at the LMT so I am doing that as well.Seriously, CrawGator, if the price diff for you between the CD D-M4LE and the 6920 is only $260 I would go with the Colt. That is just too close not to go top tier.

Skyviking
10-27-08, 16:56
"With the times being the way they are if I didnt own any others I would use the differance in $ and buy 2 CD's with some added$."

Splendid idea! You might be able to keep one running until both bolts break...

Regards,
Skyviking

CrawGator
10-27-08, 17:43
Seriously, CrawGator, if the price diff for you between the CD D-M4LE and the 6920 is only $260 I would go with the Colt. That is just too close not to go top tier.

I was thinking the same thing. :D Issue is I have been looking at LMT's now! Really good spec's and everyone seems to love theirs.

I'll decide tonight and order tomorrow. I'll post what I end up with. You folks have been great!

CrawGator
10-27-08, 17:44
"With the times being the way they are if I didnt own any others I would use the differance in $ and buy 2 CD's with some added$."

Regards,
Skyviking

Why? I haven't read of any problems with the bolts. What have you seen? Can you give info to back this up?

bullitt5172
10-27-08, 18:05

Regards,
Skyviking

:rolleyes:

ralph
10-27-08, 18:45
Why? I haven't read of any problems with the bolts. What have you seen? Can you give info to back this up?

Don't worry about it...Bolts in general are a wear item.. when they break you pull them out and replace. They'll break in his Colts or Noveske's too, that's if he shoots more than a couple hundred rounds a year........There is nothing wrong with CD bolts..

bullitt5172
10-27-08, 18:57
Don't worry about it...Bolts in general are a wear item.. when they break you pull them out and replace. They'll break in his Colts or Noveske's too, that's if he shoots them enough....There is nothing wrong with CD bolts..

Exactly, just because it isn't MPI tested doesn't mean it isn't worth owning. I'm all for buying MPI bolts if the one I have goes down. I have Colt, LMT, BCM bolts and I have non-MPI'd bolts. To rule out the CD because the bolt isn't MPI'd is just plain dumb. Bolts are $50. If you really want the MPI bolt, buy one and sell the stocker for $35-40.

CrawGator
10-27-08, 20:40
Once again good info folks. Thanks for helping a noob learn! :D