PDA

View Full Version : Sionics - Upper received fit

JediGuy
05-30-18, 07:56
I’ve read on here of BCM’s upper receivers’ intentionally tight fitment with a barrel. Normally, I wouldn’t particularly care, but I am putting together more of a precision rifle. How does Sionics’ upper fitment compare? I plan to purchase most parts from there anyway but have hesitated on the upper.

opngrnd
05-30-18, 08:54
I don't know, but I don't imagine they would cut any corners that would detract from the accuracy of their barrels.

Duffy
05-30-18, 10:13
The more we work with the guys at Sionics, the more we regard them, from Josh (the owner) on down, to be craftsmen that take pride in their work, there's no other way to explain the kind of professionalism with which they do every single thing related to building an AR.

Sionics will do the lion's share of work on our production SBCG (pre-production units were based on a different carrier, these sold out in 2 days). Sionics did the gas key torquing and staking for us, as well as firing pin protrusion testing and live fire testing. I asked an obscure question about whether they used Permatex between the gas key and carrier, the answer came back swiftly in the affirmative.

Example of the expert gas key staking Sionics does on a daily basis, this is on one of our pre-production SBCGs:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/fcd07_zpsem4tlluk.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Duffypoo/media/fcd07_zpsem4tlluk.jpg.html)

Little things are everything. If you pay attention to little things, you pay attention to everything else.

I suggest you pick up the phone, and Josh will probably answer it. I've known him since 2011 or so, he's a straight shooter and I suspect he already has the answer to your question.

Iraggunz can answer this question as well.

drtywk
05-30-18, 10:49
I’ve read on here of BCM’s upper receivers’ intentionally tight fitment with a barrel. Normally, I wouldn’t particularly care, but I am putting together more of a precision rifle. How does Sionics’ upper fitment compare? I plan to purchase most parts from there anyway but have hesitated on the upper.

They aren't as tight as the last BCM I built, but they are on par. Mine is a sample of two though, so YMMV. Like Duffy said, Sionics is a solid company and I really like what they are doing and their outstanding products.

RobertTheTexan
05-30-18, 11:35
I can second Duffy’s comment on dedication to customer service. I recently contacted them about bolt fitment on one of their BCG completion kits. Sent late in the afternoon. CST but they responded very promptly and not with a one-liner, but a super polite, very informative answer.
I can tell you that some guys in the business respond like they don’t have the time of day for you and drip in condescension. Not Sionics. And this is not my only contact with them. By the by the BCG completion kit is a very well made parts kit. Excellent execution is how I’d describe their products.

Vegasshooter
05-30-18, 15:15
Josh is, without question, one of the absolute BEST in the industry. He not only answers his phone, but he has an answer for you when he does. Josh, and of course the very solid products they put out, is a BIG reason that Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Dept. has approved Sionics rifles for the Officers to use. LVMPD has approximately 1500 rifle carriers, and Sionics is on the approved list, and are growing in popularity.
I am not affiliated with Kosh and Sionics except through work, but their kit is top shelf all the way.

Duffy
05-30-18, 15:20
Yep he'd be a great member here, but he's pretty busy. Every time I ever called or emailed, he always responds quickly. I remember there was a time when Bill Geissele used to answer the phones back in 2010 lol, that was the one and only time I spoke to him. Josh, on a weekly basis for the projects Sionics is helping us with. Their reputation is well deserved, sound, solid performers without any of the hipster fashion lifestyle nonsense that floods social media.

SteveL
05-30-18, 20:22
I can't say whether a Sionics upper is quite as tight as a BCM upper, but I can say that anything you get from Sionics is of the utmost quality. They have some of the best customer service I've ever experienced as well. Buy from them with confidence.

Mr. Goodtimes
05-30-18, 21:35

Don’t mess around with hobby grade stuff, just go with Salient and buy with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffy
05-30-18, 22:01
Not sure if the above is a joke? :confused: If so, you got me lol.

Torquetard
06-02-18, 14:29
Good company, I emailed them about an order and they tried calling me back. Missed the call but they tried. Anyway, I swapped rails on a Sionics upper and it had the same POI after reinstalling the barrel (it was snug but not gucci aerospace tolerances).

Heres a 100 yd sample from their medium profile. 62gr 223 hornady black, I believe they use 5.56 chambers on their barrels though

https://i.imgur.com/WrbsnsD.jpg

JediGuy
06-02-18, 15:14
Thanks Torque (or do you prefer to go by “tard?”).
That’s really what I was looking for. Looking for something that is on the lower (tighter) side of tolerances.
I certainly believe all the good feedback on Sionics in general. I’ll be getting the NP3 BCG and all small parts there. Just looking to build out the rifle for the highest precision-type work possible, so it’s worth my asking about something as inane as the receiver fit, as BCM seems to be particularly tight.