PDA

View Full Version : Avengers Infinity War (Review)

WillBrink
05-30-18, 10:01
It's rare I go to see a movie still in theaters, but I was assured this one I needed to see in a theater, so I went having been caught up to date on the saga by watching Black Panther recently. Infinity War is action from start to finish, has a lot of moving parts, and some fun dialogue, and great CGI. Without any spoilers, let's just say it's not a good day for the Avengers. Best part of the movie is Thanos himself, who is cast more an empathic sort of super bad guy vs just evil through and through per se. Just a big misunderstood lug who happens to have the power to alter time, space, and pretty much what ever he wants who only wants to take out half the universe. Pretty much every Marvel character who even had a cameo in a past movie can be found in this movie, to the point it gets annoying and distracting at times.

Was it worth going to the movies to see? Not really, unless you're really into the Marvel saga. Worth seeing when it comes out on rental? Yes, but not my favorite recent super hero movie. B+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0e3TXkSd4Q

WillBrink
05-31-18, 16:19
No one saw this movie? :dirol:

daddyusmaximus
05-31-18, 18:02
He could have snapped his fingers and made more resources...

In all honesty I wasn't prepared for them to lose as many of the good guys in the end. Curious as to how they will handle this in the next one. They're running out of troops. I don't know enough about that universe to know who they're gonna bring in to help. Are the Green Arrow, and Luke Cage and them in this world? Maybe a crossover event with Dr Who coming in to trick that big stupid idiot... lol.

Impressed that Loki went out fighting... I liked that he came to the rescue in Ragnarok as well. It's like he was growing up at the end.

Boy Scout
05-31-18, 20:33
Reading the Infinity War memes makes the movie even better.

As to a solution, I have a feeling they’ll be going time travel/alternate universe traversing, along with Hawkeye and Ant-Man, and Cap pulls his head out of his keister and starts whooping some arse with Mjolnir (Thor’s hammer... I know, trust me).

Either that, or John Wick III is due out at the same time, so the “snap” could have taken out John’s new dog and thus the end of Thanos, he just doesn’t know it yet.

VIP3R 237
05-31-18, 21:39
#teamthanos all the way

I haven’t seen a bunch of the other marvel movies so I was kind of lost on some of the characters, but overall I really liked it.

kwelz
05-31-18, 22:58
No one saw this movie? :dirol:

Yep. Saw it. Liked it.

I am tired of the big evil character trying to take over the world/universe. Not having that kind of antagonist is why I liked Black Panther and it is why I like Infinity war.

Thanos is more nuanced. His entire world was facing annihilation and he proposed what he saw as the only solution to save it. They ignored him and then banished him for it. And in the end the entire world died. That broke him. So his crusade is to make sure it doesn't happen to other worlds.

He didn't snap his fingers and create more resources because he has gone to far down the rabbit hole. He is broken and hyper focused on his goal to the point of excluding any other possibility. He will do anything and sacrifice anyone to achieve that goal. And when he achieves it he doesn't gloat or celebrate, he sits down and rests. I actually find this version of Thanos even more compelling than the Comic Book version in his reasoning.

As for the movie overall, I thought it was good. Screen time was low on the characters I liked but that is kind of a must when you have this big of a cast. The deaths of some of the characters really hit me. But that is the point of it.

Thor is finally getting to show how much of a badass he is which I really like. Lore wise he is the strongest of the Avengers we have seen on screen so far and he has been short changed too often in my option.

kwelz
05-31-18, 23:02

In all honesty I wasn't prepared for them to lose as many of the good guys in the end. Curious as to how they will handle this in the next one. They're running out of troops. I don't know enough about that universe to know who they're gonna bring in to help. Are the Green Arrow, and Luke Cage and them in this world? Maybe a crossover event with Dr Who coming in to trick that big stupid idiot... lol.

Impressed that Loki went out fighting... I liked that he came to the rescue in Ragnarok as well. It's like he was growing up at the end.

Ms Marvel to the rescue. Think Superman with tits, the ability to absorb and project various forms of energy and without the whole being a pansy part.

m1a_scoutguy
05-31-18, 23:59
Ms Marvel to the rescue. Think Superman with tits, the ability to absorb and project various forms of energy and without the whole being a pansy part.

Oh yea,saw the flic,haven't missed any of them actually ! I always take/go with my Son and Grandson so any Marvel movie is a must see ! Yea I thought it was a good flic for sure, always fun to see where Stan Lee fits in,LOL Most peeps know ya always stay to the very end but I was a bit worried on this one,,,they really waited till the very end to show the final clip. Capt Marvel to the rescue ! Pretty concerned with everyone turning to dust,,kinda sucked,,BUT we will see. Maybe time can be turned back and all will be fine,,LOL ! ;) Overall I enjoyed it and will look forward to the next one !

WillBrink
06-01-18, 08:57

Well there is that! :cool:

MistWolf
06-01-18, 09:47
I didn't get why Thanos wanted to do what he did or why. It wasn't explained very well and didn't make enough sense for me to fill in the blanks for them.

The good guys didn't lose because Thanos was more powerful, or because they were out-maneuvered. They lost because they beat themselves. The good guys used a couple of clever tricks, but completely ignored the one that guaranteed success. They are going to have to pull one helluva rabbit out of the hat to explain why Dr. Strange let Thanos achieve his goal to set up that one in fourteen million chance to save the future.

The deaths of the superheroes had no impact because, well, they killed off Superman once and that didn't last very long, did it?

It wasn't all bad, however. I did enjoy the movie and it was fun to watch the joy on the face of Bruce Banner fighting in the Hulk Buster armor and to see Thor get to really fight. This movie was much better than Civil War.

WillBrink
06-01-18, 10:38
I didn't get why Thanos wanted to do what he did or why. It wasn't explained very well and didn't make enough sense for me to fill in the blanks for them.

The good guys didn't lose because Thanos was more powerful, or because they were out-maneuvered. They lost because they beat themselves. The good guys used a couple of clever tricks, but completely ignored the one that guaranteed success. They are going to have to pull one helluva rabbit out of the hat to explain why Dr. Strange let Thanos achieve his goal to set up that one in fourteen million chance to save the future.

The deaths of the superheroes had no impact because, well, they killed off Superman once and that didn't last very long, did it?

It wasn't all bad, however. I did enjoy the movie and it was fun to watch the joy on the face of Bruce Banner fighting in the Hulk Buster armor and to see Thor get to really fight. This movie was much better than Civil War.

Civil War was meh, but not a big fan of the Avengers movies in general. I find Thor far better when he's on his own, or almost on his own, and the Thor movies, especially the last one, much more entertaining and well done. I thought Ragnarok was the best in the genre in recent memory.

MountainRaven
06-01-18, 13:23

Death became meaningless in the MCU between the beginning of the first The Avengers movie and the beginning of the first season of Agents of SHIELD.

Loki has been dead (end of Thor), Captain Steve "America" Rogers has been dead (right before the end of Captain America: The First Avenger), and Agent Phil Coulson has been dead (beginning of the third act of The Avengers), Dr. Stephen Strange has been dead (in Doctor Strange). All of them have come back - in one case, before the end of their first movie, and another multiple times during their first movie (Dr. Strange).

kwelz
06-01-18, 18:53
Death became meaningless in the MCU between the beginning of the first The Avengers movie and the beginning of the first season of Agents of SHIELD.

Loki has been dead (end of Thor), Captain Steve "America" Rogers has been dead (right before the end of Captain America: The First Avenger), and Agent Phil Coulson has been dead (beginning of the third act of The Avengers), Dr. Stephen Strange has been dead (in Doctor Strange). All of them have come back - in one case, before the end of their first movie, and another multiple times during their first movie (Dr. Strange).

Welcome to comics.

Endur
06-01-18, 21:04
I liked it a lot, but Winter Soldier is still my favorite Marvel movie to date.

I see someone (most likely Captain Marvel) taking down Thanos with those still alive and using the gauntlet to turn back time and bring everyone back.

daddyusmaximus
06-01-18, 23:32
One other thing that pissed me off... when they were fighting with Thanos for the gauntlet, why the hell didn't they just cut his damn arm off? This is why movies get me mad.

MistWolf
06-02-18, 03:33
One other thing that pissed me off... when they were fighting with Thanos for the gauntlet, why the hell didn't they just cut his damn arm off?

Exactly. Spidey grabs the arm, pulls it through a portal and Dr. Strange closes it at the elbow. Done.

jesuvuah
08-25-18, 09:44
Finally watched this movie. Didn't enjoy it much. It was ok, but I am getting bored with the series. Too many characters fighting for screen time. I honestly felt happy that the bad guy won.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

hotrodder636
08-25-18, 11:30
Exactly what I yelled at the tv when I was watching. it was done at the beginning to save Ironman, why not durong the battle with Thanos....yeah, I know, plot development and stuff.

Exactly. Spidey grabs the arm, pulls it through a portal and Dr. Strange closes it at the elbow. Done.

titsonritz
08-25-18, 20:17
I suspect the space stone disrupts the portals. :ph34r: