PDA

View Full Version : need advice / steel mags

fudd
05-30-18, 16:10
I have a decent quality M4 that I maintain well, and it has never been fussy about mags. I shoot 55 grain fmj in 30 round mags. I have not purchased mags in MANY years. My old ones are Fusil, the Brownells military ones, and Pmags.

I have done much reading about the current state of affairs in mags. I have decided to order some generation 3 Pmags, some Lancer AWMs, and some of the Brownells with the Magpul follower. If anyone feels I need some advice on these selections, please have at it.

When it comes to steel, I REALLY need some advice. I went to find and order new Fusils and quickly learned that was a no-go. I then started looking for other steel mags and started reading as much as I could about current-production steel mags. Truth is, after all the reading, I didn't come away with any clear choices. I saw the HK models (about 50 bucks or so), and just did not see the value. I also saw the FN models, but I was not able to find any material on folks who had used the heck out of 'em. And then I found some other brands that I read a little good-n-bad about.

If there is anyone here who finds a place for steel mags in their shooting activities, I would welcome your opinions and advice.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Pappabear
05-30-18, 16:19
I run a lot of steel mags. The Okay industries are considered to be real mil spec mags used by the military. NHMT are also considered by many as good togo.

Brownells did good in some test and reviews years gone past. Gen 3 Pmags are very good.

Okay / NHMT !

Others maybe available to offer more insight I'm sure.

PB

bamashooter
05-30-18, 16:57
I run D&H (aluminum) and have never had an issue. Excellent alternative if needing metallic. They also make them for other manufacturers. Decent sale now:http://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-5-56-30rd-aluminum-magazine-8416.html

Okay are good too. Make sure they include the anti-tilt follower. Both brands are gtg imo.

vicious_cb
05-30-18, 17:07
Don't waste your money on steel mags. They offer nothing over quality polymer or aluminum mags.

markm
05-30-18, 17:18
I don't know why you'd want steel mags. They're heavy and more prone to dent damage because of it. I have a few old Brit surplus steel 30s that have held up well for many years. I only own them because they were a ban era option.

HeruMew
05-30-18, 17:22
Bought some Okays / Surefeeds they work flawlessly.

Have a bunch of D&H with the same results.

I would go aluminum though. The steels really are heavier.

YMMV.

markm
05-30-18, 17:36
I would go aluminum though. The steels really are heavier.

A 3 mag pouch loaded with Steel mags is noticeably heavier.

Butch
05-30-18, 18:28
I have a few steel mags from Beretta. They are of the highest quality and have been flawless. Frequently go on sale. Get some when they are.

hk_shootr
05-30-18, 18:37
I have some of the heavy as crap HK mags. They are in my SHTF bag.

pag23
05-30-18, 19:59
The Beretta steel mags are pretty sturdy and you can beat someone with it...

I have a few, but have a primary mix of GI and polymer variants...

wanderson
05-30-18, 20:38
I use E-Landers, the only steel bodied mag available in 20 rounders. They run fine in both my 5.56 carbine & pistol as well as my .300bo carbine & pistol. Usually not hard to find for $10-$12.

CDNN also has ‘extreme duty’ AR mags, supposedly leftovers from an asian military contract, for $9. I’ve never used them but I’ve seen two separate threads claiming they’re good. Green followers, steel bodies.

HeruMew
05-30-18, 21:23
A 3 mag pouch loaded with Steel mags is noticeably heavier.

Without a doubt. I notice it in the hand and on the rifle for sure.

I'm not a "high speed" type. But if I was loading a cummerbund, I would be reaching for Aluminum or Polymer.

Ounces to Pounds. It really does make a difference. Not that I am an expert. But I do okay arithmetic.

fourcorners
05-30-18, 22:14
Mags are disposable items. Use them, let them drop, let them damage, replace when needed. Given those circumstances, pmags are perfect. They handle the abuse a little better while saving you a little weight. And for what it matters, they don't make a cringing sound like you broke something when you let them drop free and hit concrete. However, if you really do want metal mags then Okay are what would be realistically recommend.

elephant
05-30-18, 22:40
I bought like 200 aluminum USGI mags a few years ago, most of them have green followers, some black. All of the mags have patina on them, Teflon has wore off completely, surface rust and some are dented. I paid $1 each for them at fort hood. Never the less, every single one of them works like a champ. I have never had a single problem with a single one. And I have testes each and every single one. They are dated 91-2003. Manufactures include, Okay, Sanchez, Colt, Crane, Labelle, D&H, NHMTG and a few others than are not marked at all.

I have maybe 50 Pmags, I don't know what generation they are, I got them between 2011 and 2014, they all have grey followers. I have never had a problem with any of them either.

I would stay away from steel, If you absolutely need to form an opinion on your own, PM me and I will send you a steel magazine. IMO, aluminum is the best all around, Pmags are great just as any other manufacture these days but I have personally had to repair an aluminum mag out in the country with my multi tool. I don't know if you can do that with polymer.

ucrt
05-30-18, 23:00
Mags are disposable items. Use them, let them drop, let them damage, replace when needed. Given those circumstances, pmags are perfect. They handle the abuse a little better while saving you a little weight. And for what it matters, they don't make a cringing sound like you broke something when you let them drop free and hit concrete. However, if you really do want steel mags then Okay are what would be realistically recommend.

Are you saying that Okay magazines are steel?

556Cliff
05-30-18, 23:09
Okay/NHMTG/Colt = aluminum.

For steel mags go Beretta.

seb5
05-31-18, 05:29
If you're talking true steel mags, why waste your time? If someone gave them to me I'd either give them away or trade them. I use almost all D and H and USGI. I have about 2 dozen P Mags but they're safe queens. I've used them and they worked great but I just prefer aluminum.

fourcorners
05-31-18, 06:03
Are you saying that Okay magazines are steel?

Was meaning to say metal, but had steel on the mind from the subject title. Fixed it. Thanks for catching that.

Slater
05-31-18, 07:26
The Beretta steel mags have gotten favorable reviews despite their weight. They're stamped with an NSN and are evidently Italian military mags.

Hammer_Man
05-31-18, 08:08
I find steel mags are tempting due to the potential durability increase over aluminum, but I find they're too heavy so I just stick with aluminum. Okay Surefeeds are my go to.

bamashooter
05-31-18, 13:35
Just ordered a lot of 10ea D&H from PSA for 8.99 per and free shipping. Too good to pass up.

Spiff_AR
05-31-18, 14:38
Just ordered a lot of 10ea D&H from PSA for 8.99 per and free shipping. Too good to pass up.
Did the same thing this morning as well. It’ll be nice to have some aluminum mags to go with my Lancers and PMags.

tim808
06-03-18, 21:54
I bought about 20 of the e-lander steel mags following sandy hook because pmags were not available. I haven't had any issues with the ones I've used at the range.

I started with an AK so the weight of steel mags wasn't a big concern. (I use a keyboard for a living and don't expect to carry more than 2 mags for most events)

I can fit 6 of them in a bandoleer vs only 3 pmags, so my first 3 bandoleers are filled with e-lander mags. That will change when I get bandoleers that can fit 6 pmags

Dr. Bullseye
06-04-18, 12:20
ASC steel mags for everyday shooting are great. Absolutely nothing wrong with them.

MistWolf
06-04-18, 23:57
ASC steel mags for everyday shooting are great. Absolutely nothing wrong with them.

...except the ones that come with the S&W MP-10.