PDA

View Full Version : "Law Enforcement" marked handguns

Slater
05-31-18, 20:04
Glock, Smith & Wesson, FN, and many other manufacturers have "LE" versions of their handguns. I always thought that the only difference between the LE model and the regular commercial model was a label on the box, the price, and maybe (depending on the gun) an extra mag. Someone at work today remarked that LE guns receive a little extra care in assembly/final inspection. I never thought that was the case. Thoughts?

soulezoo
05-31-18, 20:16
Overall I really don't think that holds water at all. There may be some individually, I don't know. But on the whole, no way.

Campbell
05-31-18, 20:23
It would be nice if that was the case, but I really doubt it.

Straight Shooter
05-31-18, 21:26
I know of one case at least where this was true, dont know about now..but the Remington 870 Police shotgun was given extraordinary love & care at one time. Was even assembled in a secured part of the factory. Now..who knows.

mack7.62
05-31-18, 22:02
Maybe at one time but today not so much, I know Glock, S&W and Sig have all failed to deliver the goods at one time or another on some major LE contracts. Even the Remington 870 police mentioned above, not sure any extra care was taken in assembly or just better parts were used ie metal trigger groups while commercial were all plastic. But a major LE contract could be used as leverage to get things no longer available on the commercial market such as S&W 3rd Gen pistols long after civilian production had ceased.

Straight Shooter
05-31-18, 22:17
There is an old stickie in the SHOTGUN Forum, that details how the 870P differed, and was produced, back in the day. Excellent info.

CoryCop25
05-31-18, 22:25
I don't think LE holds any weight anymore. I know Glock stopped test firing their LE guns several years ago. Glock will test fire LE guns upon request of the purchasing department but they charge extra for it.
As far as I know only H&K still test fires all of their firearms.

SteyrAUG
06-01-18, 03:16
Glock, Smith & Wesson, FN, and many other manufacturers have "LE" versions of their handguns. I always thought that the only difference between the LE model and the regular commercial model was a label on the box, the price, and maybe (depending on the gun) an extra mag. Someone at work today remarked that LE guns receive a little extra care in assembly/final inspection. I never thought that was the case. Thoughts?

In the case of Glock it means a heavier "safety trigger" in some states.

Arik
06-01-18, 08:03
As someone whos guns are 95% police trades I don't see any difference between them and the same civilian version.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

26 Inf
06-01-18, 11:04

I've been through numerous LE armorers courses from 1980 through 2015 and other than Remington never heard anyone mention any special love for LE firearms.

26 Inf
06-01-18, 11:08
In the case of Glock it means a heavier "safety trigger" in some states.

Is that actual states or agencies? I know NYPD has had some seriously weird ideas about triggers - the NY Glock triggers stand in testimony.

Arik
06-01-18, 11:11
Is that actual states or agencies? I know NYPD has had some seriously weird ideas about triggers - the NY Glock triggers stand in testimony.Philadelphia PA PD has the same thing

TMS951
06-01-18, 11:25
Being that they are going to be sold for less I'd think they'd get less if anything.

usmcvet
06-01-18, 12:11

I've heard that for 870's not for pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Vaquero
06-01-18, 14:24
With HK an LE package would usually mean 3 mags and night sights.

Some Smith & Wesson’s may have the option where the gun will not fire if there is no magazine inserted. That was something some agencies were requesting years back.

Arik
06-01-18, 15:01
With HK an LE package would usually mean 3 mags and night sights.

Some Smith & Wesson’s may have the option where the gun will not fire if there is no magazine inserted. That was something some agencies were requesting years back.The mag safety used to be a standard for a long time. The ones without where the exception. That has changed since they went away from the steel and to polymer guns

Moose-Knuckle
06-01-18, 15:05
I know of one case at least where this was true, dont know about now..but the Remington 870 Police shotgun was given extraordinary love & care at one time. Was even assembled in a secured part of the factory. Now..who knows.

The 870P is what came to mind when I read the OP as well. It's the only firearm I have ever heard of to get an entire different assembly process than the rest of the 870 line.

http://www.rem870.com/2011/06/21/differences-between-remington-870-express-and-remington-870-police/

Krazykarl
06-01-18, 15:46
Deleted