PDA

View Full Version : Jury Gives BLM their two--er, four--cents worth

Doc Safari
06-01-18, 15:40
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article212324564.html

In 2014, two officers with the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office in Florida went to Gregory Vaughn Hill Jr.'s home for a noise complaint.

Hill, a 30-year-old black man, had been blasting an expletive-laden song by Drake, according to court testimony reviewed by CNN, and an unhappy woman who heard the song called officers to complain. The two deputies, including Christopher Newman, arrived to the house and knocked on the garage door, which Hill opened.

The officers exclaimed that the man had a gun, according to a lawsuit from Hill's family, and so the 30-year-old closed his door. Newman fired bullets through the garage door, hitting Hill once in the head and twice in the chest.

Hill, a father of three, died of those injuries.

Hill's family filed a wrongful-death lawsuit in 2016 after a jury didn't indict Newman. They hoped to receive compensation for their suffering and wanted a jury to determine whether any of the deceased man's rights had been violated, according to The New York Times.

Police say Hill brandished a handgun and refused to drop it when ordered, according to The New York Times, but his family disagrees.

A jury just handed down its decision. It led John Phillips, the family's attorney, to issue a bold proclamation: "Black lives don't matter."

At first, the jury gave the man's family $4. That includes a single dollar for each of Hill's children — aged 7, 10 and 13 — and another dollar for the man's funeral expenses, NBC reported. But the jury found that Hill, who had been drinking at the time, was 99 percent at fault for his own death.

So that $4 was then reduced to just four cents.

Monique Davis, the fiancee of Hill, told NBC that the decision left her feeling shocked.

"My heart just dropped," she said.. "It was like, are y'all serious?"

Phillips lamented that the jury sent the message that they "viewed these childrens' pain as virtually worthless."

"I'd have rather seen a zero," he told NBC, "than have to tell the children that their pain and suffering for losing their father is only a dollar."

Sheriff Ken J. Mascara praised the jury's decision, writing "we are pleased to see this difficult and tragic incident come to a conclusion."

“Deputy Newman was placed in a very difficult situation, and like so many fellow law enforcement officers must do every day, he made the best decision he could for the safety of his partner, himself, and the public given the circumstances he faced,” he wrote. “We appreciate the jury’s time and understanding.”

My take: I hate to make light of a wrecked family's plight, but next time TURN THE DAMN STEREO DOWN.

26 Inf
06-01-18, 15:51
I think they should have awarded nothing, rather then slap 7,10, and 13 year-old kids in the face like that. Last I knew we didn't get to choose our parents.

Overall, the story leaves a lot to be questioned: 1) was there anyone else in the garage; 2) Did the officer fire through the door blindly, or have sights on the guy and firing as the door closed?

Straight Shooter
06-01-18, 15:56
IM LOVIN IT. Hope they dont spend it all in one place.

gaijin
06-01-18, 16:36
A hearty “well done!” To the jury.

Moose-Knuckle
06-01-18, 17:36
:lol:

Perfect way to deal with a frivolous lawsuit. Hope they paid them out in pennies.

Coal Dragger
06-01-18, 17:56
There’s no reason this should have ever gained traction in court to make it to trial.

I feel really sorry for those kids, even if their dad was still alive it’s pretty evident that they’re going to have a hard time in life. Bad parents will be a huge hurdle to overcome.

flenna
06-01-18, 18:18
I think they should have awarded nothing, rather then slap 7,10, and 13 year-old kids in the face like that. Last I knew we didn't get to choose our parents.

Overall, the story leaves a lot to be questioned: 1) was there anyone else in the garage; 2) Did the officer fire through the door blindly, or have sights on the guy and firing as the door closed?

I think giving them 4 cents is a bigger slap in the face then giving them nothing. Kind of like giving a crappy waiter a 25 cent tip. If you leave nothing they will think you may have just forgot but a quarter tip tells them their service stinks.

SIGguy229
06-01-18, 18:20
Then there was the part where he was on probation...likely not lawfully permitted to own or possess a firearm. But why gloss of the little details.

pinzgauer
06-01-18, 18:31
And then there is the double jeopardy part where a civil "rights" suit is filed after a jury already acquitted the LEO.

kwelz
06-01-18, 18:50
And then there is the double jeopardy part where a civil "rights" suit is filed after a jury already acquitted the LEO.

There is no double jeopardy here. That is for Criminal cases in the same court with the same charges. Someone being found not guilty of a crime can still be at fault for a death or injury, which is why they are kept seperate.

Obviously the officer did right here. But making a civil suit contingent upon a criminal case would take away the rights of many injured parties.

pinzgauer
06-01-18, 19:05
There is no double jeopardy here. That is for Criminal cases in the same court with the same charges. Someone being found not guilty of a crime can still be at fault for a death or injury, which is why they are kept seperate.

Obviously the officer did right here. But making a civil suit contingent upon a criminal case would take away the rights of many injured parties.Yes, technically not DJ.

But I'll play, who is at fault here?

Ten to one, maybe 100:1, these "civil" cases are totally bogus with the plaintiff just out looking for a payout.

It's become automatic. And driven by a legal industry that would show no interest if the opportunity for payout was not huge.

Part of me thinks there needs to be some automatic "loser pays" provision. Maybe not the full amount, but enough to chill the automatic frivolous cases.

BTW, I'm surprised a judge allowed the "slap" payout.1

soulezoo
06-01-18, 21:42

Obviously the officer did right here. But making a civil suit contingent upon a criminal case would take away the rights of many injured parties.
Like OJ

LMT Shooter
06-01-18, 23:41
Part of me thinks there needs to be some automatic "loser pays" provision.

I've been saying this for years. If every plaintiff knew up front that they'd be obliged to pay the defendant, if the jury didn't find merit to their lawsuit, the full amount they had sought, plus all legal costs incurred by the defendant, we'd see far fewer bullshit lawsuits. Better yet, make the plaintiff's attorney pay all legal costs for the defense attorney & bar them from taking any payment from their client, to disincentivise unscrupulous lawyers from taking bullshit cases.

MountainRaven
06-02-18, 00:07
Then there was the part where he was on probation...likely not lawfully permitted to own or possess a firearm. But why gloss of the little details.

Was there actually a firearm present?

And are cops allowed to blindly shoot through doors, now?

26 Inf
06-02-18, 00:24
I think giving them 4 cents is a bigger slap in the face then giving them nothing. Kind of like giving a crappy waiter a 25 cent tip. If you leave nothing they will think you may have just forgot but a quarter tip tells them their service stinks.

Kind of my point - why slap the kids in the face?

ETA: Been thinking on it. Could it be the judgement was to prevent the blood sucking attorneys from collecting legal fees from the folks they were representing. If they were taking it on a contingency basis, they would get some percentage of the settlement. Maybe a slap in the face to the attorneys?

Coal Dragger
06-02-18, 02:07
Hopefully that is why the jury ruled that way, otherwise it looks petty and spiteful towards children who did nothing wrong.

PatrioticDisorder
06-02-18, 05:49
Was there actually a firearm present?

And are cops allowed to blindly shoot through doors, now?

Yes dude brandished the firearm and he was intoxicated, LEO were giving commands and he wasn’t complying, the door was in the process of being closed while the firearm was in hand. The guy was 100% responsible for his own death. The scary part is I read about this story on Facebook, I go to read the comments section and it was as if nobody actually read the story and only read the headline and assumed it was a bad shoot. Overwhelmingly left wing comments, made me feel like I was in the Twilight Zone where nobody understands right from wrong.

PatrioticDisorder
06-02-18, 05:52
Hopefully that is why the jury ruled that way, otherwise it looks petty and spiteful towards children who did nothing wrong.

The jury should have ordered the family that brought the suit to pay court fees, of course that would have been like trying to get blood from a rock. The shoot was good, their father/baby daddy was a scumbag purely responsible for his own death, the lawsuit was frivolous and tied up the courts with nonsense.

Alex V
06-02-18, 08:06
I had two officers show up to my condo for a noise complaint. I guess my surround sound system and The Dark Knight Rises make for a powerful combination. By the time they arrived the movie was over for at least 10 minutes so they heard nothing. I sure as hell didn't answer the door with a gun.

I guess the dude was having a karioke session and wanted to reenact his favorite gangster rap video. Just had to have the gun in one hand an a 40 in the other. Oh well. The world is slightly better now.

I agree that the $0.04 payout is a slap. But they should be slapped for their frivolous lawsuit.

ralph
06-02-18, 08:17
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes..In this case, this guy won a dirt nap....

Coal Dragger
06-02-18, 09:41
The jury should have ordered the family that brought the suit to pay court fees, of course that would have been like trying to get blood from a rock. The shoot was good, their father/baby daddy was a scumbag purely responsible for his own death, the lawsuit was frivolous and tied up the courts with nonsense.

Is the family stupid? Baby momma must not have had standing to sue, because she wasn’t married (big surprise). So the scum sucking attorney probably pushed this trash, victimizing these kids once again by using them in his crass attempt at money and self promotion.

Want to change how all these various frivolous lawsuits are handled? Institute a law stating that in cases where the plaintiff’s attorney is to be paid a percentage of any settlement or award, that in the event of no award or settlement that the plaintiff’s attorney shall pay all court costs, and the legal fees of the defendant. In cases where the plaintiff is retaining their legal team or otherwise funding all of the suit, the plaintiff will pay the defendant’s legal fees and court costs in the event they lose.

Do that and watch tort law drastically change for the better. Good cases and good lawyers will still prevail in court, but the shit bags looking for settlements will starve to death.

MegademiC
06-02-18, 12:19
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes..In this case, this guy won a dirt nap....

Or file stupid lawsuits, get stupid payouts.
Might be a slap to the kids, but i would say thats mom’s and lawyer’s fault for involving them, or dads fault for making poor life choices.

26 Inf
06-02-18, 12:35
Is the family stupid? Baby momma must not have had standing to sue, because she wasn’t married (big surprise). So the scum sucking attorney probably pushed this trash, victimizing these kids once again by using them in his crass attempt at money and self promotion.

Want to change how all these various frivolous lawsuits are handled? Institute a law stating that in cases where the plaintiff’s attorney is to be paid a percentage of any settlement or award, that in the event of no award or settlement that the plaintiff’s attorney shall pay all court costs, and the legal fees of the defendant. In cases where the plaintiff is retaining their legal team or otherwise funding all of the suit, the plaintiff will pay the defendant’s legal fees and court costs in the event they lose.

Do that and watch tort law drastically change for the better. Good cases and good lawyers will still prevail in court, but the shit bags looking for settlements will starve to death.

Where is the like button? Totally agree.

RWK
06-02-18, 23:59
Yes dude brandished the firearm and he was intoxicated, LEO were giving commands and he wasn’t complying, the door was in the process of being closed while the firearm was in hand. The guy was 100% responsible for his own death. The scary part is I read about this story on Facebook, I go to read the comments section and it was as if nobody actually read the story and only read the headline and assumed it was a bad shoot. Overwhelmingly left wing comments, made me feel like I was in the Twilight Zone where nobody understands right from wrong.

He was shot in the head through a closed door. An unloaded pistol was later found in his back pocket. So, how did the pistol magic itself from his hand into his back pocket while he was dead?

Dist. Expert 26
06-03-18, 09:00
He was shot in the head through a closed door. An unloaded pistol was later found in his back pocket. So, how did the pistol magic itself from his hand into his back pocket while he was dead?

Hey now, the police said he had a gun in his hand. How dare you question the official narrative?

SteyrAUG
06-03-18, 23:45

It wasn't a slight against the kids so much as a message to lawyers who see these kinds of cases as cash registers.

As for the officers, I question their actions as far as "be sure of your target and what is behind it" but the results suggest they had good target acquisition. Of course if they hit any bystanders that would be a completely different story.

As for the subject, he was drunk and when officers responded to a complaint he was armed. That's a dicey thing to do when you aren't drunk. But because of his numerous bad decisions his kids are now without a father, but perhaps in this case that maybe isn't the worst possible thing.

Moose-Knuckle
06-06-18, 04:31

Welcome to the wonderful world of identity politics.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TangibleExaltedHawk-size_restricted.gif