PDA

View Full Version : Glock Magazine Rattle

Gutshot John
10-23-08, 18:49
I'm noticing something with a certain G17 mag.

When it's fully loaded, or almost fully loaded there is a rattle as if a round is bouncing off the metal lining.

When the magazine is downloaded or empty, no rattle.

Any input?

wlptpd3
10-23-08, 19:30
John,

I have a dozen 17 mags and a couple of them do exactly what you described, I was always want to ask why that happens when I attend their Armorers class but I forgot the last 2 times I took it.

I can tell you this much I used all my mags during a Tri-Con Advanced combative pistol earlier this year approx. 2300 rounds in 3 days and they all worked without a hitch.

ToddG
10-23-08, 19:54
Try smacking the mag along the spine to seat the rounds solidly.

Try disassembling and reassembling the mag.

Try swapping the spring and/or follower with another mag.

Unless there's something especially funky going on (always a possibility albeit a rare one) it's just an annoyance and not something that is likely to cause a functional issue.

It's a common complaint on other forums, often involving a claim to the extent of "My M&P mags rattle and none of my Glock mags rattle, I hate the M&P the Glock rulz" or "My Glock mags rattle and none of my SIG mags rattle, I hate Glock the SIG rulz" or ... well, you get the idea.

At a major LE trade show in DC a few years back, I had a Secret Service agent pull out his loaded P229 in the middle of a crowd just so he could show me how his magazine rattled. :rolleyes: In the very minor FWIW department, it's more prevalent with 357 SIG because there is more room for the rounds to shift.

bullitt5172
10-23-08, 19:57
Try smacking the mag along the spine to seat the rounds solidly.

Try disassembling and reassembling the mag.

Try swapping the spring and/or follower with another mag.

Unless there's something especially funky going on (always a possibility albeit a rare one) it's just an annoyance and not something that is likely to cause a functional issue.

It's a common complaint on other forums, often involving a claim to the extent of "My M&P mags rattle and none of my Glock mags rattle, I hate the M&P the Glock rulz" or "My Glock mags rattle and none of my SIG mags rattle, I hate Glock the SIG rulz" or ... well, you get the idea.

At a major LE trade show in DC a few years back, I had a Secret Service agent pull out his loaded P229 in the middle of a crowd just so he could show me how his magazine rattled. :rolleyes: In the very minor FWIW department, it's more prevalent with 357 SIG because there is more room for the rounds to shift.

My new G21SF mags rattle, some of my G17 mags rattle and none of my G19 mags rattle. They all run 100%...;)

Oscar 319
10-23-08, 21:53
My new G21SF mags rattle, some of my G17 mags rattle and none of my G19 mags rattle. They all run 100%...;)

Same here. My G23 mags rattle no matter what when topped off. The G22's will stop with a slap and seat. Same with the G17. Though annoying, there are no reliability issues.

Paul45
10-24-08, 10:00
The only Glock mags that have not rattled for me are the 26, 27, 30. I have had rattling mags in 19, 17, 23, 22 (34 & 35), & 21SF.
Never made any functioning issues. I just pick the non-rattle ones for carry. I am sure they will not hear me coming or reloading but I do it any way.

GlockWRX
10-24-08, 10:43
I've found that if you load a double mag to the max capacity, they tend to rattle more often than if you download them one round. I run my G17 and G19 mags one down anyway, so mine don't rattle as much.

ToddG's suggestions are spot on. And it's no big deal if they do rattle, I've never had a malf from a rattling magazine.

I'm just waiting for someone to chime in and say it's a tactical liability for the mags to rattle and alert enemies to your presence.

markm
10-24-08, 11:08
This is pretty common. It drives me nuts.

Sometimes it's only when the mag is seated and the top round is touching the bottom of the slide.

I too offload my Glock mags by at least one round.

ToddG
10-24-08, 11:57
I'm just waiting for someone to chime in and say it's a tactical liability for the mags to rattle and alert enemies to your presence.

I've seen that on mp-pistol.com a time or two. What can I say, I'm not a ninja so I don't understand it.

Robb Jensen
10-24-08, 12:11
I've seen that on mp-pistol.com a time or two. What can I say, I'm not a ninja so I don't understand it.

Sounds like a Gecko45 mission.

Shotdown
10-24-08, 14:04
My G23 mags do the same.

.357sigger
10-24-08, 15:45
my g21 mags do it but my g30 mags dont...

Beat Trash
10-25-08, 16:29
I have had this issue with Glock 19/17 mags and with the S&W 5946 I was issued.

I found that a sharp smack on the baseplate with my palm, followed by a sharp smack to the back of the mag (where the witness holes are on the Glock mags), cures the problem about 90% of the time.

I was explained to me by a factory rep once as having something to do with the first round not seated all the way in the follower. Whether that's true or not, I can't tell. But a good smack to the baseplate takes care of it in my experience.

I had this issue often when issued S&W 5906's and 5946's. Not very often in my Glock 19 I carry off duty. Never in my Glock 26 I sometimes carried. So far, never had this problem in my issued S&W M&P9 (hit the three year mark carrying this gun).

Avenger11
10-25-08, 17:02
FWIW, I have also seen this same issue on XDTalk concerning SA-XD magazines.

f.2
10-25-08, 20:31
When loaded +1, the mag should stop rattling.

JBone870
10-26-08, 15:36
My Hk mags do it too. I also was going to ask this question. I'm glad some one beat me to it.