PDA

View Full Version : Appendix carry AD..ouch

AKDoug
06-02-18, 23:34
Weird accidental discharge with a Glock 43 and Incog holster.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/06/kat-ainsworth/video-holstered-pistol-discharges-negligent-or-accident/

CLHC
06-03-18, 03:10
Ichabod Crane! :fie:

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-03-18, 03:21
I had never really thought about it, but outside of drawing the gun, with a holster that isn't attached (won't come off), I remove the holster and put the gun in the holster and then put the holster back on. Not really a conscious thing about safety, just seemed the way to do it- especially with IWB holsters. He did seem to have a clean inserting.

WHERE ARE YOU SHOT! Show me! The lady was right on it. Kudos to a level head.

In local news.......

FBI agent, ND. I could explain it, but words really don't do it service.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/denver-police-investigating-accidental-shooting-from-gun-of-an-off-duty-fbi-agent

Got moves like Jagger......

BrigandTwoFour
06-03-18, 06:18
It's been making the rounds. No real consensus yet on what went wrong. General thought is that an undershirt or something got caught in the trigger, or the gun had been tinkered with enough to release the striker if the slide has pressure put on it.

I sometimes carry AIWB since it offers the best concealment for me. But crap like this is also why I switched back to a DA/SA pistol, and was fairly adamant about an external safety on my striker fired pistols.

Straight Shooter
06-03-18, 06:46
Dear God.
ANY thought I may have ever had about AIWB is completely shot to hell now, I guarantee you.

Sam
06-03-18, 08:12
In local news.......

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/denver-police-investigating-accidental-shooting-from-gun-of-an-off-duty-fbi-agent

Moronic behavior, probably alcohol involved and should have been heavily disciplined. When you put your booger hook on the bang switch, it will make a loud noise.

moonshot
06-03-18, 08:22
Any more info about the gun or holster? Any aftermarket parts (especially aftermarket trigger) or modifications to the holster? It's hard to see how a Gadget or TDA exposed hammer would have prevented this from occurring. Also hard to see how tee shit material caught inside the trigger guard would have caused this. It seems to me that any tee shirt material stuck in the trigger guard would have caused the gun to fire when he inserted the gun into the holster, not when he bent over. I'm trying to figure out how bending over would cause the front of his tee shirt to pull up, and I don't see it.

How does one tinker with a Glock to allow slide pressure to cause the striker to release? Is that even possible?

BrigandTwoFour
06-03-18, 08:27
Potentially applicable information from TOS

I'm sure everyone's going to tell me I'm bullshitting, but I was there for this incident. I saw the gun, still secured in the holster.

Back in 1991 after we had transitioned from revolvers to Glock 19s, we had one of our guys pull up in the back of the station, put his cup of coffee on the dashboard, then pick up his clipboard that was on the seat next to him. As he leaned forward to get his coffee, the gun went BANG while still fully secured in a Safariland Model 070 level 3 retention holster. Yes, it was still in the holster when it went bang.

We started checking some of the other guns we had, pulled the slide and checked the engagement of the firing pin safety. If you pushed on the tab of the firing pin that the trigger bar engages, it would slip off the firing pin safety and go forward. Since the firing pin is under some tension when the gun is loaded, it had just enough juice to ignite the primer when it slipped off of the firing pin safety. About half of the G19s we had were affected like this.

If you remember, that's when Glock started offering a so-called "upgrade kit" (there are no "recalls" in Glockworld) which replaced the firing pin, firing pin safety and trigger bar. We had a rep from Glock at the PD the very next day with "upgrade kits" for the entire department's supply of G19s.

This is also why now, when you go through a Glock Armorer Course, you get an orange half-sized slide cover plate so that you can check the engagement of the trigger bar and firing pin.

I don't know if that's what happened here, but it very well could have been. I'm going to go check my G43 and see if its firing pin will slip off the firing pin safety.

HMM
06-03-18, 08:34
Ouch. I would think that a shirt caught in the trigger area wouldn't pull when he bent over. I could see if he stretched then it would pull but not bending over, strange. Would love to know more details on how it happened since I carry AIWB. I also have an Incog holster but I have since switched to a Raven Concealment Eidolon. Never had an issue with the Incog, just felt the Eidolon worked better for me. I added a striker control device from Tau Development on my G19 too. That gives me more piece of mind about holstering it.

flenna
06-03-18, 09:03
Ouch. I would think that a shirt caught in the trigger area wouldn't pull when he bent over. I could see if he stretched then it would pull but not bending over, strange. Would love to know more details on how it happened since I carry AIWB. I also have an Incog holster but I have since switched to a Raven Concealment Eidolon. Never had an issue with the Incog, just felt the Eidolon worked better for me. I added a striker control device from Tau Development on my G19 too. That gives me more piece of mind about holstering it.

I thought the same at first. But if the shirt got caught AND the gun not fully seated in the holster when he bent over he could have pushed the gun fully into the holster. The gun moves forward but the trigger does not, causing a bang. IDK, just a guess.

signal4l
06-03-18, 09:27
We should start a negligent discharge thread. Links to articles with photos if available. This material is useful if you're teaching recruits or teaching a CCW class

ST911
06-03-18, 09:53
Something is off.
Anonymous. No lead in, no additional context.
Victim's right hand is out of view under the shelf at moment of discharge.
Shot, grasps L leg, moves, L leg loads and bears weight (look at right foot). Lack of any apparent blood isn't definitive, but noted.
Woman wearing gloves behind register, glances across room almost expectantly, startle is off, movement is off, moves to aid bag rather that to victim could be practiced or scripted.
Minimal reaction or startle from older guy.
Could be legit. Doesn't look "right."

Anyone else?

Whiskey_Bravo
06-03-18, 10:27
Something is off.
Shot, grasps L leg, moves, L leg loads and bears weight (look at right foot). Lack of any apparent blood isn't definitive, but noted.
Woman wearing gloves behind register, glances across room almost expectantly, startle is off, movement is off, moves to aid bag rather that to victim could be practiced or scripted.

Anyone else?

Who knows but I have to say it does look almost scripted. "loading" the gun behind the laptop screen, bends down, gun shot, grabs leg but then puts weight on it. Never goes to the floor. Lady already has gloves on, goes right for a tourniquet before assessing anything. Again, who knows but more context would be helpful.

munch520
06-03-18, 10:48
Came here expecting to see (yet again) someone re-holstering a hot weapon with the speed of sound. And faster than they draw :ph34r: I am disappoint

Who knows but I have to say it does look almost scripted. "loading" the gun behind the laptop screen, bends down, gun shot, grabs leg but then puts weight on it. Never goes to the floor. Lady already has gloves on, goes right for a tourniquet before assessing anything. Again, who knows but more context would be helpful.

Who knows adrenaline causes all kinds of weird responses. Maybe lady was cleaning something and had gloves on? Who knows, playing devil's advocate.

I would've grabbed a tq before assessing as well, but along with a bleeder kit for packing/compression (which always had a tq with it). Stop any active bleeding then assess.

MegademiC
06-03-18, 11:28
Potentially applicable information from TOS

So if you push on striker, it can slip off the trigger bar/sear, but how does it bypass the striker safety (plunger)?

Campbell
06-03-18, 13:23
Something is off.

Anyone else?

Just watched it, I thought it looked staged.

Honu
06-03-18, 13:52
hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

yeah something seems off about this one

the link to the FBI ? no surprise there

signal4l
06-03-18, 16:09
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gundigest.com/reviews/draw-quickly-holster-slowly-and-with-care/amp

I've used this article many times to demonstrate the need to remove the draw cord Adjusters from jackets.

JC5188
06-03-18, 16:58
Something is off.

Anyone else?

Also, the dog watches specifically his every move...as if he’s expecting something. And, In my experience, non gun dogs will disappear after a report like that. Didn’t seem to phase him much.

Also, the shot itself sounds more Hollywood than the simple “pop” I would have expected.

Kenneth
06-03-18, 17:44
Looks way too staged. Everyone knows women wouldn’t just be showing up with a tourniquet and gloves on. Especially as calm as she was.

“Where are you shot?!?”
IN THE DICK!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usmcvet
06-03-18, 19:53
Something is off.

Anyone else?

The gloves threw me too. She looked like she was holding a tourniquet. It could have been a bandage but that was awfully quick to get gloved up. It looked like a training film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-04-18, 02:42
She was handling something on the small counter, I don't know what that could have been that she wanted to wear gloves. Maybe ammo? She was looking at the wall right before the shot. Was he even hit?

SteyrAUG
06-04-18, 16:13
Never let your firearm cover anything you aren't willing to destroy. Hell 6 o'clock carry always made me a tad nervous.

Joelski
06-04-18, 16:32
Glock leg is one thing. Glock dick is whole other pile of f**k that!!!

RobertTheTexan
06-05-18, 00:23
Something is off.

Anyone else?

It could be a level headed woman who has dealt with GSW before? I don't know. I guess the AD/ND guys calls out "Call 911 now", she yells, "Milo, call 911." She's cool. Cool head. She went straight to her med kit. It does have a bit of a funky vibe to it though. Because I do have some ifaks with an Israeli Bandages or USGI field dressings, but every single one of them are sealed in plastic. To have it open, is just plain dumb and dangerous. She pulls about 3 items out of that pack before she stands up with a field dressing, but immediately you can see the tails hanging down, telling me that it wasn't even in a package. That seems a off. But anything is possible, it could have played out like this. Who knows maybe there's a reason that field dressing wasn't packaged. I know that to rip one open in a second is not the easiest with just hands.

RobertTheTexan
06-05-18, 00:24
She was handling something on the small counter, I don't know what that could have been that she wanted to wear gloves. Maybe ammo? She was looking at the wall right before the shot. Was he even hit?

I thought she was handling ammo. Albeit fuzzy, I thought I saw her stacking ammo or holding up a box of ammo.

CPM
06-05-18, 08:03
The conspiracy theories are a bit much. This is why I don’t carry appendix, no matter how many Travis Haley videos I watch.

Averageman
06-05-18, 08:16
In this age of Concealed Carry and Open Carry, is appendix carry even necessary if you're not an undercover Cop?
If you travel in Tucson or even my little town in the Texas Hill Country, about 20% of the folks have a gun strapped on them. I don't think the idea of appendix carry is as needed as it might once have been.

ST911
06-05-18, 12:34
In this age of Concealed Carry and Open Carry, is appendix carry even necessary if you're not an undercover Cop?
If you travel in Tucson or even my little town in the Texas Hill Country, about 20% of the folks have a gun strapped on them. I don't think the idea of appendix carry is as needed as it might once have been.

No more or less "necessary" than any other CCW technique, or a bunch of other stuff in the industry for that matter.

And in many circles, open carry is either completely nonviable or would have you laughed out of the discussion.

Vegas
06-05-18, 12:43
I would say yes, appendix carry can be necessary. Seconds count imo.

kerplode
06-05-18, 13:01
Appendix carry has its place, I guess. Just gotta be aware that you might shoot your business off if you make a mistake. I'm not sure it's a good choice for new shooters...From what I see at the range, most of these folks aren't all that safe with a standard OWB at 3o'clock. A properly designed holster is a necessity as well. Can't just shove some floppy nylon Wal-Mart holster in your belt if you want to keep your twig attached.

But I do get the need for deep concealment and Appendix can do a better job there than other methods. Maybe in Tx you can walk around with sloppy concealment, but around here, that shit will get you a visit from the cops when some stupid Prog makes a frantic "I'm at Whole Foods and there's a crazy White Hitler running around with a GUN and I'm in fear for my life!!!" call to 911 'cause she caught a glimpse of your heater when she knelt down to buy soy milk or whatever the ****.

Averageman
06-05-18, 13:38
And in many circles, open carry is either completely nonviable or would have you laughed out of the discussion.
To each their own.
I do not open carry, but neither do I appendix carry.
Perhaps my physical build doesn't accommodate appendix carry, perhaps I'm a bit apprehensive about where the muzzle is placed, perhaps other methods just work better for me.
I don't disdain others choices, but this one just won't be mine.

munch520
06-05-18, 14:18

It shines in many instances. It's bad for some (likes dudes with a gut). Works real well for me, and benefits far outweigh any risks.

Standing or crouched, not really concerned.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1742/28709689998_8c3a39ce34.jpg
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1743/42583360431_a802978f20.jpg

26 Inf
06-05-18, 16:10
I think most folks who appendix carry are somewhat aware of the risks.

Everybody laughs about shooting off your junk, in reality there are a couple big arteries in the area where the muzzle is pointed.

I don't believe a TQ or direct pressure would work if you nabbed the Iliac Artery near where it exits.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-05-18, 16:19
I personally will still pass. I have done it in the past but was never comfortable with the direction it was pointed.

Voodoo_Man
06-05-18, 16:35
Proper training, and equipment, is paramount when not trying to ND into something important, like your junk.

Incog's sit really funny, he would have likely suffered a less serious injury if he had a better holster and possibly a wedge, which pushes the muzzle off line of the vital parts.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-05-18, 16:48
Somewhere, Larry Vickers is coughing “toldyahso.”

RobertTheTexan
06-05-18, 17:20

I'm just a stones throw north of you, but I rarely see OC. Thankfully so. I never OC, less I'm training and that's private land and for the obvious reasons. I don't appendix carry. (See SteyrAUG's comment) I carry about at the 3:30-4 o'clock position. Works for me.

MegademiC
06-05-18, 18:24
I appendix carry. I use a vg2 that completely encapsuled the trigger guard.
I holster it off my body and attach it after. I also dont modify or use anything ither thank factory glock parts in fcg.
Over the years, ive decided thats safe enough for me.
It still gives me the jimmies when i think about it too much, but its nearly impossible to ND like that.

Still not sure what happened in OP.
As for why AIWB carry, its been hashed out, but im 6’ 170lb. Its the only way to hide a g19 in a tshirt, or shield in fitted tucked in shirts (with a safety). Sometimes, you gotta carry in a NPE. Ymmv.

Averageman
06-05-18, 20:35
I'm just a stones throw north of you, but I rarely see OC. Thankfully so. I never OC, less I'm training and that's private land and for the obvious reasons. I don't appendix carry. (See SteyrAUG's comment) I carry about at the 3:30-4 o'clock position. Works for me.

Me too.
I would rather dress around it a bit than have the muzzle pointed at my wedding tackle, wedge or not.
Getting in and out of the car like that presents its own challenges and I'm relatively thin now and certainly don't have a gut to get in the way.

Moose-Knuckle
06-06-18, 05:18
Dear God.
ANY thought I may have ever had about AIWB is completely shot to hell now, I guarantee you.

I CCW'ed via AIWB for about fourteen years, never had a AD but I have moved away from AIWB.

I kept going back to Col. Cooper's Rule #2.

CPM
06-06-18, 15:27
I think most folks who appendix carry are somewhat aware of the risks.

Everybody laughs about shooting off your junk, in reality there are a couple big arteries in the area where the muzzle is pointed.

I don't believe a TQ or direct pressure would work if you nabbed the Iliac Artery near where it exits.

Jamie Smith would agree.

Larry Vickers
06-06-18, 22:25
Somewhere, Larry Vickers is coughing “toldyahso.”

Yep I banned appendix carry in classes a few years back and have not regretted it in the least. For the record I personally have no issue with anyone who wants to carry this way- big boy rules. You know the risks involved if something goes sideways so do as you see fit. For me in classes it was real simple; limiting my liability. I don’t allow Serpa style holsters in classes ( except for LE or Military that have it as an issued holster) so why in the world would I allow appendix carry which is actually far more dangerous if something unexpected happens on day two at 3pm in 90 degree heat after drawing and reholstering the pistol for the 100th time over the course of the class. In hindsight this was a real easy call to make for me as an instructor who has personally trained over 5000 students in the last decade

Coal Dragger
06-07-18, 03:35
Maybe I could design an appendix carry holster with a 1/4" steel cup the muzzle fits in, that way you won't blast your dick off if there is an undesired or negligent discharge when holstering or unholstering.

Probably be kind of heavy, and cumbersome. Better than undesired genital ventilation though.

RobertTheTexan
06-07-18, 03:51
Maybe I could design an appendix carry holster with a 1/4" steel cup the muzzle fits in, that way you won't blast your dick off if there is an undesired or negligent discharge when holstering or unholstering.

Probably be kind of heavy, and cumbersome. Better than undesired genital ventilation though.

No offense to your exercise if “entrepreneurial ingenuity” [emoji4] but anyone still wanting to appendix carry after watching this video AND willing to wear a 1/4” steel bullet-catching dickprotector cup next to their proverbial junk probably should have their junk removed or at least “neuterized”

Now, I admire you for wanting to make the world a safer place. Just not sure this is the right approach. Lol

3 AE
06-07-18, 03:52
"Never allow the muzzle of any firearm to point at anything you are not willing to DESTROY!"

Yes sir, I'll stick with that one. :big_boss:

Coal Dragger
06-07-18, 03:56
No offense to your exercise if “entrepreneurial ingenuity” [emoji4] but anyone still wanting to appendix carry after watching this video AND willing to wear a 1/4” steel bullet-catching dickprotector cup next to their proverbial junk probably should have their junk removed or at least “neuterized”

Now, I admire you for wanting to make the world a safer place. Just not sure this is the right approach. Lol

Hey, I’m just thinking of a way to make money, not advising that appendix carry is a good idea. Maybe Kevlar would be a better option...

Either way I’m surprised no one has considered a holster with a shot trap material around the muzzle.

MountainRaven
06-07-18, 15:49
Hey, I’m just thinking of a way to make money, not advising that appendix carry is a good idea. Maybe Kevlar would be a better option...

Either way I’m surprised no one has considered a holster with a shot trap material around the muzzle.

Coming soon to a Blackhawk! Serpa near you.

RobertTheTexan
06-07-18, 16:02

I’m envisioning a movie -set in the future where an evil prison warden forces his prisoners into a new brutal and dangerous form of death match.....the outside world secretly calls it “Genital Suicide” where prisoners wear Serpa Appendix holsters with loaded firearm and forced to play musical
chairs... until BANG!!!! End of gonads.

It could be right up there with Death Race XII

:jester:

Moose-Knuckle
06-07-18, 17:36
I’m envisioning a movie -set in the future where an evil prison warden forces his prisoners into a new brutal and dangerous form of death match.....the outside world secretly calls it “Genital Suicide” where prisoners wear Serpa Appendix holsters with loaded firearm and forced to play musical
chairs... until BANG!!!! End of gonads.

It could be right up there with Death Race XII

:jester:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7IZDKk89M0

P2000
06-07-18, 20:27

Yes, the Blackhawk! Serpent Protector. Inside sources are very tense for this to be released Q4 2018. Dick's yearns to carry them, the only holster with a pair of safety features including fingertip retention as well as deflection of accidental discharge.:jester:

usmcvet
06-08-18, 21:40
It shines in many instances. It's bad for some (likes dudes with a gut). Works real well for me, and benefits far outweigh any risks.

Standing or crouched, not really concerned.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1742/28709689998_8c3a39ce34.jpg
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1743/42583360431_a802978f20.jpg

How long can you sit carrying that way? At training a few weeks ago a young, fit cop sitting next to me pulled his gun/holster out. This was thirty minutes into a two hour class. He reposioned it to his right hip IWB.

Ron3
06-10-18, 14:16
I used to.

With snub-nose revolvers and later with a Makarov.

But when I started carrying a Glock it went to behind-the-hip. Now I usually carry a Beretta Cheetah but it's still behind-the-hip.

Although for long drives it ends up more about 2:30.

Don Robison
06-10-18, 18:19
How long can you sit carrying that way? At training a few weeks ago a young, fit cop sitting next to me pulled his gun/holster out. This was thirty minutes into a two hour class. He reposioned it to his right hip IWB.

I can't speak for him, but for me I do it 10-12 hours a day and quite often drive 10-12 hours with it in place. IMO, It takes good purpose built gear selection in order for it to be comfortable. I've been carrying AIWB since 99-2000 time frame long before it became the in thing to do. My current two setups are a Wilson CQB in a Fricke holster and a G19 in an GypsyEDC holster.

titsonritz
06-12-18, 18:25
I had never really thought about it, but outside of drawing the gun, with a holster that isn't attached (won't come off), I remove the holster and put the gun in the holster and then put the holster back on. Not really a conscious thing about safety, just seemed the way to do it- especially with IWB holsters. He did seem to have a clean inserting.

WHERE ARE YOU SHOT! Show me! The lady was right on it. Kudos to a level head.

In local news.......

Got moves like Jagger......

FBI agent who dropped gun while dancing charged with assault (https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/fbi-agent-who-dropped-gun-while-dancing-turns-himself-in/2018/06/12/7f93a538-6e75-11e8-b4d8-eaf78d4c544c_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.363a7f6ab41d)

Probably not much future in LE

Coal Dragger
06-12-18, 22:55
Seems to be FBI material given their recent newsworthy employees.

Moose-Knuckle
06-13-18, 05:18
FBI agent who dropped gun while dancing charged with assault (https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/fbi-agent-who-dropped-gun-while-dancing-turns-himself-in/2018/06/12/7f93a538-6e75-11e8-b4d8-eaf78d4c544c_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.363a7f6ab41d)

Probably not much future in LE

Good.

That shit is right up there with the Rastafarian DEA agent who told a class room full of school children that he was the only one professional enough to handle his GLOCK 22 as he shot himself in the leg. :cool:

JimmyB62
06-13-18, 10:04
Good.

That shit is right up there with the Rastafarian DEA agent who told a class room full of school children that he was the only one professional enough to handle his GLOCK 22 as he shot himself in the leg. :cool:

And later filed a lawsuit against DEA complaining he was ridiculed everywhere he went (it got dismissed).

newyork
06-13-18, 11:38
Guys that carry appendix but take off the holster with gun in it or put the gun in when holster is off person, what do you do in classes or Range sessions? Owb only?

Moose-Knuckle
06-13-18, 13:58
And later filed a lawsuit against DEA complaining he was ridiculed everywhere he went (it got dismissed).

Oh wow, never knew that. So he actually doubled down on his stupidity.

Surprised he didn't sue GLOCK.

MegademiC
06-13-18, 18:04
Guys that carry appendix but take off the holster with gun in it or put the gun in when holster is off person, what do you do in classes or Range sessions? Owb only?

At the range, i take off each time. If i took a class, i might to 1 day like that , but generally owb.

I do enough dry fire iwb, that live fire is only to check progress. Otherwise i use owb for most live fire training and comps.

newyork
06-13-18, 18:18
Figured. Doing that through a whole class seems tiresome. Been dry firing a lot myself. Get your draw reps there. Thank you for the answer.

ramairthree
06-13-18, 18:19

I have not done a full class or training event AIWB.

For my own range time I either put it own ready to go like I would normally do,
Draw, fire, mag change, then
I either push out the bottom when holstering or take off and do.

Ar least for a standard striker fire like a Glock.

Something with a grip safety like an XDM or decocker / safety like an FS Cougar or 1911 I am not as concerned.

Pure strikers, especially the shorter, lighter trigger ones, for some reason seem to be the main culprits when holstering.

yoni
07-15-18, 05:59
Appendix carry to me, violates the rule of never pointing your firearm at something you aren't ready to have shot. Since I am not willing to get shot in the groin, I will never use this carry. You want to carry at the front of the body move the holster and pistol to the left of your center line with the pistol canted so the muzzle doesn't cover your junk.