PDA

View Full Version : Help picking 11.5" barrel

heckofagator
06-03-18, 17:52
Hi group, I've having a difficult time picking an 11.5" 5.56 barrel for an upcoming pistol build. I will admit that I don't know alot about how the gas port size and gas configuration (middy vs carbine, etc) plays into everything 100%.

I think I'm probably willing to go mid-range pricewise on something like this. I don't mind getting something a little nicer than Ballistic Advantage if the barrel is definitely nicer. I've seen Triarc and Sionics mentioned a bit. Is the Faxon Gunner worth looking at all?

FWIW, I have a Odin O2Lite 9.5" handguard so hopefully that will cover up the gas block in whatever barrel I choose. I will eventually be running this firearm suppressed, but haven't purchased 30 cal rifle can yet, so I'm guessing an adjustable gas block will be something I will want to get.

This will be just a fun range toy and maybe something I'd take a class or two with.

Hammer_Man
06-03-18, 18:12
I used a 11.5" CHF Spike's FN barrel once for a pistol build with good results. I never ran it suppressed, but it seemed to eat everything I fed it, including cheap UMC 223 ammo.

Jwknutson17
06-03-18, 18:46
Can't go wrong with a DD, Centurion, FN, Colt, BCM 11.5 barrels. Pick one and just go with it. Run an A5H2 as a baseline and tune with your adj. gas block. I had no issues with the Sionics I had for a while either. I don't think you can go wrong with picking one of the more quality manufacturers out there these days. If you were not running an adj gas block the search would get smaller.

elephant
06-03-18, 19:10
Noveske 11.5.

JediGuy
06-03-18, 19:40
BA Hanson 11.3” has been magical for me. It’s light, but...I’m not running at full auto. With an ALG EMR and SI J-Comp, it feels weightless and nearly recoilless.
With an H buffer, it cycled everything - Federal 55gr 223, Hornady SBR Interlock HD, Speer Gold Dot, and Black Hills 77gr OTM - flawlessly. I haven’t put in my H2 buffer as the above poster suggested.

longshot2000
06-03-18, 21:16
At 11.5” you have some options. Since you will not be shooting at 300 yard targets, most will work. I prefer Colt or LMT on anything under 14.5”

Sierrahotel83
06-04-18, 07:22
I have just recently started using a Faxon Gunner 11.5", it is a Middy, but so far using my favorite "lets see if this thing will run" ammo Tula, it runs really well, in addition it runs well with a SiCo Hybrid and not too gassy as either, less then a DD MK18 with the same can, but more than my BCM 14.5"

I know that Middy is a short gas system for a 11.5" and that it does have a larger gas port, and they recommend an adjustable gas block. Unfortunately due to the rail I wanted to use, URX2 Mid, and its not working well with the Mid length gas system, I didnt think about it when I got the barrel, I had to make a gas block fit better, so I had to use a regular Gas Block, and was not able to use an adjustable one; I am not gonna file, grind and sand a $60+ gas block to try something out.

Hammer_Man
06-04-18, 08:26
I have just recently started using a Faxon Gunner 11.5", it is a Middy, but so far it uses my favorite "lets see if this thing will run" ammo Tula, it runs well with Tula, and with a SiCo Hybrid it runs well and not too gassy as well, less then a DD MK18 with the same can, but more than my BCM 14.5"

I know that Middy is a short gas system for a 11.5" and that it does have a larger gas port, and they recommend an adjustable gas block. Unfortunately due to the rail I wanted to use, URX2 Mid, and its not working well with the Mid length gas system, I didnt think about it when I got the barrel, I had to make a gas block fit better, so I had to use a regular Gas Block, and was not able to use an adjustable one; I am not gonna file, grind and sand a $60+ gas block to try something out.

I'm not sure I understood your post in its' entirety, does your rifle function OK without the suppressor attached, or does it need to be attached for it to operate properly?

Sierrahotel83
06-04-18, 08:44
I'm not sure I understood your post in its' entirety, does your rifle function OK without the suppressor attached, or does it need to be attached for it to operate properly?

Ok when I reread it it is rather confusing, yes it runs very well both with and without the suppressor. using an H buffer.

I really need to check the ejection pattern, but it ran very well either way.

fledge
06-04-18, 10:16
IMO, Faxon is on par with Ballistic Advantage. Maybe less.

I vote Sionics reduced gas port barrel. No adj gas block, no tinkering, no extra parts.

drtywk
06-04-18, 11:50
I have BCM and Sionics RGP barrels in my 11.5" guns and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again. Like Fledge said, there is no need to tinker with the Sionics, as they did an excellent job of producing a barrel that flat out runs suppressed and unsuppressed.

slowrx
06-04-18, 19:12
I have 2 uppers with BCM 11.5's and one with a Ballistic Advantage hansen profile 11.3. Both of them run flawlessly with and without a suppressor and a standard H buffer and non adjustable gas blocks.

Jwknutson17
06-04-18, 19:15
Suppressed the .071 port of the Sionics RGP barrel leaves much to be desired in a suppressed build. That is a good size for a non suppressed 11.5 IMO.

Pappabear
06-06-18, 15:14
We took a couple SBR's out yesterday evening because another thread asking for MOA SBR barrels. I was looking for that thread when I cam across this thread. Anyway, we topped off the Sionics RGP 11.5 with a vortex 3-9 just to try groups. It held 1.5 MOA with multiple 5 round groups. Not cherry picked ammo, just reloads with mixed brass.

Plenty good for an SBR.

PB

indianalex01
06-18-18, 00:19
I use colt 6933 FBI/HRT HB profile on my pistol. Love it.

Rogue556
06-18-18, 12:14
I use colt 6933 FBI/HRT HB profile on my pistol. Love it.

I have one of these barrels as well and it runs great with a Geissele Super42 H2 without a suppressor. I run it mostly suppressed so installed a BRT .063 HD port insert into a Geissele super gas block and now it's a pleasure to shoot suppressed with the same buffer setup as well. I wish these barrels weren't as expensive as they are because they are awesome.

snackgunner
06-18-18, 12:30
I have one of these barrels as well and it runs great with a Geissele Super42 H2 without a suppressor. I run it mostly suppressed so installed a BRT .063 HD port insert into a Geissele super gas block and now it's a pleasure to shoot suppressed with the same buffer setup as well. I wish these barrels weren't as expensive as they are because they are awesome.

What did you pay for yours and where did you get it?

indianalex01
06-18-18, 14:03
I got the barrel from G&R for about 275$ I think. About a year ago

everready73
06-18-18, 20:54
What did you pay for yours and where did you get it?

I think shark arms has them for around $300 right now if G&R doesn't have any. They have some of the cheapest Colt pricing I have seen anywhere. I would suggest a call/email as their website really needs an update, but they are GTG as a vendor

longshot2000
06-19-18, 09:13
The 11.5" heavy is an awesome barrel, and is now used by a number of law enforcement "agencies." It cycles better than the 10.3" and the heavy holds upon for suppressed and rapid fire much better than the M4 profile. It is just the right barrel, from an engineering standpoint for SBR functioning, suppressed and unsuppressed. There are opinions on the right gas port sizing. The Colt 11.5" comes at 0.070," which we have found to be ideal. There are arguments that maybe a smidge less is better. 0.063" seems a bit small, but that will depend upon the suppressor and buffer (and gas pressure).

As to pricing, Colt is always going to be more expensive in the 14.5" and shorter lengths. Those lengths are requested by LE customers, shooting enthusiasts and collectors, and they are also not produced in the same numbers as the 16" barrels by Colt, and Colt is much more focused on building full rifles, and not selling barrels and parts, so when your source gets parts, they usually get much less than they ask for, and much later than they expected, so there are chronic shortages of the great parts that many of us want. That leads to purveyors of Colt products a) being out of stock for long periods of time, or; b) having higher prices listed, or; c) offering alternatives (like cut-downs).

heckofagator
07-01-18, 17:02
Hey guys, OP here. Man, I guess my missed the notification for this thread and just remembered about it. I was getting anxious to purchase something so I was back thinking about this again.

So a lot of praise for the Colt barrel as well as the Sionics RGP. I'm not sure if the Colt is worth the additional $100 to me, but I guess I'll have to give that some thought.

Assuming either the Colt or Sionics, I've read that an adjustable gas block is probably not worth it? If so, what would you guys be buying then to go with the barrel? I do plan to suppress this but don't have a 30cal or 5.56 can yet, so I do want something that can run without a supressor ok.

Biggy
07-01-18, 17:45
If you plan to attach a suppressor to your barrel, most of the better ones weigh **14 ounces or more**. If your rifle is semi- auto only and you will rarely shoot two or maybe three mags through it rapidly at a time,a lighter weight profile barrel should be plenty accurate and be just fine. If shooting at some point a lot of the new M855-A1 higher pressure ammo, shooting full auto or running many mags in semi-auto through it (like 4 or more) at a time, the medium and medium heavy barrel profiles that weight 6 ounces more would probably be a better choice. At 66 I don't ever see myself being in anything like the battle of Pork Chop Hill, but something like the FBI Miami shootout and going through *maybe* 90 rounds, I will take the lighter weight barrel, either suppressed or unsuppressed with a good flashider suppressor mount.

heckofagator
07-01-18, 17:55
yeah, good point. Semi auto only and probably not a bunch of rapid mag dumps.

heckofagator
07-02-18, 09:39
Bump a suggestion for a gas block to go with the Sionics barrel - any suggestions?

Clint
07-02-18, 11:45
Bump a suggestion for a gas block to go with the Sionics barrel - any suggestions?

How about one of these nice blocks?

The port in the MicroTUNE adjustable block can be sized for unsuppressed use and then replaced with a dedicated suppressed sized port next year when the suppressor comes in.

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-MicroTUNE-Adjustable-Gas-Block-750/p/102156493/category=6464009

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-MicroPin-Gas-Block-750/p/17534540/category=6464008

heckofagator
07-02-18, 12:00
this will work - thanks. From what I've read, the Sionics will work both suppresssed and unsuppressed without an adjustable gas block, so I was thinking just buy a "std" one.

And I think since the Sionics has a .70 gas port, having a .750 gas block would be ok?

dcf1981
07-02-18, 13:07
this will work - thanks. From what I've read, the Sionics will work both suppresssed and unsuppressed without an adjustable gas block, so I was thinking just buy a "std" one.

And I think since the Sionics has a .70 gas port, having a .750 gas block would be ok?

The gas port is .070, not .70. The .750 gas block is a different measurement and has to due with the diameter of the barrel at the gas block journal.

heckofagator
07-02-18, 13:11
The gas port is .070, not .70. The .750 gas block is a different measurement and has to due with the diameter of the barrel at the gas block journal.

Ah, I understand now. thanks I was not aware that I was looking at 2 different types of measurements.

Tigwelder1971
07-04-18, 10:37
Colt HRT.
Gas port size is .070"

heckofagator
07-04-18, 14:06
Colt HRT.
Gas port size is .070"

Any idea who might have those in Stock? Preferably one without the front sight block

dcf1981
07-04-18, 17:28
Any idea who might have those in Stock? Preferably one without the front sight block
G&R Tactical

heckofagator
07-12-18, 09:39
Just wanted to follow up, say thanks, and let you know I ended up going with the Colt. Was pretty set on the Sionics, but I think the story behind the Colts is cool. What's an extra $100.....