PDA

View Full Version : Charged with felony for tannerite

ubet
06-04-18, 18:39
https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/news/2018/06/01/two-men-could-face-felony-charges-after-detonating-tannerite/664818002/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MANSFIELD - Two men accused of detonating an explosive used for target practice could face charges.

Deputies responded to calls of shots fired or an explosion after 3 p.m. Friday in the area of a yellow house along Ohio 39 near Interstate 71, according to Richland County Sheriff's Maj. Joe Masi.

A 75-year-old resident told deputies the explosions shook his house.

Masi said the men had detonated Tannerite on the property. Felony charges will be forwarded to the Richland County Prosecutor's Office, he said.

No injuries were reported.

Dienekes
06-04-18, 20:23
Geezers being geezers. Go after the parents.

Alex V
06-04-18, 20:47
I'm not following what the felony is/was?

Averageman
06-04-18, 21:01
I'm not following what the felony is/was?
It would appear that Ohio changed the law and tannerite is no longer legal to have or use.
Unfortunately it's still being sold and these two guys became the test case/example depending on how you look at it.

RetroRevolver77
06-04-18, 21:09
Each year across this nation, tens of thousands of great patriotic local, city, state, and government bureaucrats come up with hundreds of thousands of new laws, codes, or edicts- to guide every waking moment of our lives. Without millions of laws, we would certainly falter into anarchy. It is our duty as loyal citizens to memorize and follow each of these laws as well as report others who fail to do so, in order to fully enjoy the freedom our founding fathers' intended.

Alex V
06-04-18, 21:27
It would appear that Ohio changed the law and tannerite is no longer legal to have or use.
Unfortunately it's still being sold and these two guys became the test case/example depending on how you look at it.

Ah. Well that sucks. I thought Ohio was relatively safe. Relatively.

MegademiC
06-04-18, 22:07
Fireworks over 1.4g are illegal to set off in OH, but can be purchased.
You can pretty much do what you want until you do something stupid, like set off pounds of tannerite.
If you want to do something LOUD, make sure its legal.

SomeOtherGuy
06-05-18, 07:38
Fireworks over 1.4g are illegal to set off in OH, but can be purchased.
You can pretty much do what you want until you do something stupid, like set off pounds of tannerite.
If you want to do something LOUD, make sure its legal.

That's really stupid. Like saying "cocaine is legal to possess, but don't you dare use any."

I'm not in favor of any stupidity, which seems to be common with Tannerite, but I do believe that a system of law is only legitimate if the laws are clearly defined and can realistically be known in advance.

7n6, indeed it is our great patriotic duty to memorize millions of lines of legislation, codified and recodified statutes, AG interpretations, case law, regulations, administrative rules, and agency pronouncements that have no formal legal validity, but treated by the agency as if they had the force of law.

caporider
06-05-18, 09:48
That's really stupid. Like saying "cocaine is legal to possess, but don't you dare use any."

I'm not in favor of any stupidity, which seems to be common with Tannerite, but I do believe that a system of law is only legitimate if the laws are clearly defined and can realistically be known in advance.

7n6, indeed it is our great patriotic duty to memorize millions of lines of legislation, codified and recodified statutes, AG interpretations, case law, regulations, administrative rules, and agency pronouncements that have no formal legal validity, but treated by the agency as if they had the force of law.

I agree laws like this are dumb, but they're everywhere. Why? Because government is really good at kicking the can down the road. Pass a law, don't worry about second and third order effects, don't worry about enforcement, until a test case comes up then spend tons of $$$ creating case law that makes things even more confusing.

This is what I hammer home every time I discuss gun laws with my more liberal friends and family. Everyone I know advocating for stricter gun control just assumes government will figure out the details and the mechanisms for enforcement will magically work. Nope.

SomeOtherGuy
06-05-18, 10:16
don't worry about enforcement, until a test case comes up then spend tons of $$$ creating case law that makes things even more confusing.

Preaching to the choir here, but the crucial thing to know about "test cases" is that they take over the defendant's life for a long time, usually years, and often wreck their life even if they are ultimately exonerated or the law is struck down.

caporider
06-05-18, 10:44
Preaching to the choir here, but the crucial thing to know about "test cases" is that they take over the defendant's life for a long time, usually years, and often wreck their life even if they are ultimately exonerated or the law is struck down.

Yep, for sure. It's a very totalitarian idea that any given individual is easily sacrificed for the good of the collective/state.

26 Inf
06-05-18, 13:34
Did anyone actually read the article?

The headline: Two men could face felony charges after detonating explosive used for target practice. The operative word is COULD. The Sheriff's Department forwarded a report writing the case as a felony - the DA is the one who actually charges.

These are the charged parties: According to the general offense report, an 82-year-old Arizona man and a 76-year-old Mansfield man admitted they were shooting Tannerite. Good luck finding their parents. :p

These are the last paragraphs: "It's actually a felony to possess it," he said. Exploding targets, made popular in part by television shows such as Top Shot, are often sold under the name Tannerite and other brand names.

"The law does nicely distinguish between having just enough to explode a target or having enough to blow up a house," he warned. "Mixing the compounds together can even be considered manufacturing explosives, a very serious felony."

I doubt they are going to be charged with a felony unless they were doing stupid stuff like trying to blow up lawn mowers (remember that guy?)

Averageman
06-05-18, 13:45
I would bet that at some point in all of this one of the two said "Here, hold my beer."

3 AE
06-07-18, 03:28
Many people in their age group are hard of hearing. It's possible that they figured they needed to use a lot more Tannerite just to hear the full effect. We all know that to fully experience an explosion, you need to see it, feel it, and hear it.

76 year old: "Hey Joe, you think we have enough Tannerite to get excited about?"

82 year old: "What did ya say?"

76 year old: "I said, "Do ya think we have enough Tannerite to get our rocks off?"

82 year old: "No, I don't wanna take my socks off."

76 year old to cashier: "Double the order sonny." :shout:

AKDoug
06-07-18, 09:57
You know the 82 y.o. Arizonian is at fault :D Hey sonny we do this shit in the desert all the time ;)

The_War_Wagon
06-07-18, 11:46
Each year across this nation, tens of thousands of great patriotic local, city, state, and government bureaucrats come up with hundreds of thousands of new laws, codes, or edicts- to guide every waking moment of our lives. Without millions of laws, we would certainly falter into anarchy. It is our duty as loyal citizens to memorize and follow each of these laws as well as report others who fail to do so, in order to fully enjoy the freedom our founding fathers' intended.

The average American now commits 3 felonies daily, unawares.

Choose your crime WISELY... :fie: