PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 Gen 5...so far

Slater
06-05-18, 10:39
When a new handgun (or variant thereof) is introduced, I'm one of those guys that waits a while to see if any unforeseen hiccups pop up. So far the G17 Gen 5 seems to be performing well. Does the older polygonal-style rifling have the potential for a longer service life than the new Marksman type?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-05-18, 12:48
Cant answer for the 17, but I do have a Gen 5 19. No issues, really shoots well and fits my hand better than the previous Gens. I carry a Gen 4 21 at work and will be switching to a Gen 5 17 next year.

RHINOWSO
06-05-18, 15:18
Only thing I've heard about Gen 5s is some flaking off of the trigger bar finish for some.

Still hanging with my G19.4s for the time being though. ;)

Jermedic
06-05-18, 17:43
I don't have a gen 5 17, but my gen 5 19 and 19X have been 100% reliable so far. I have about 2k rounds thru each.

jpgm
06-05-18, 19:41
I shot my son-in-laws gen 5 g19 yesterday. He bought it used with approximately 500 through it. Supposedly, the only thing the previous owner did was put I-Dot sights on it. The smaller grip is definitely noticably smaller and the trigger was awesome. Awesome like cz p10, vp9, etc. If this is what the new gen 5's are designed they should sell a lot of them.

I forgot to add that I was able to easily shoot clover leafs from 4-5 yrds away.

MStarmer
06-06-18, 11:45
It's doubtful anyone is going to shoot the rifling out of either, at that point you're into it so deep in ammo costs a new barrel is irrelevant. I have a new Gen 5 17 and I have to say it's pretty stellar out of the box. Other than sights I don't think I'm going do anything to it, compared to my Gen 4 19's that are all hacked up.

sundance435
06-07-18, 07:36
The only gripe I have with my Gen5 19 so far is the cutout on the magwell...yes, I know there's an aftermarket floorplate that solves this, but I hate dealing with floorplates on Glock mags.

arcticlightfighter
06-07-18, 10:07
I couldnt overcome the ambidextrous slide stop issue that I was having. I shoot with a very high thumb forward grip am I support hand palm would inadvertently pushed the slide stop up under recoil causing the slide to consistently log back on a partially full magazine.
Sold the Gen5 and went back to my Gen 4's

VIP3R 237
06-07-18, 13:27
I have a gen 5 17 and a 19x and I ended up liking the 19x just a tad more. Honestly my only gripe is no forward serrations, other than that I think Glock knocked it out of the park with the gen 5’s.

Jwknutson17
06-07-18, 14:47
I have a gen 5 17 and a 19x and I ended up liking the 19x just a tad more. Honestly my only gripe is no forward serrations, other than that I think Glock knocked it out of the park with the gen 5’s.

I really like the 19x. I CCW it appendix and the 19 slide is idea for me when bending, squatting, etc. Having xl hands I love the fill size grip. Thing shoots well too! Front serrations would be awesome. But doesn't bother me. Thinking of ditching a older 19 I have for another 19x.

turnburglar
06-07-18, 17:04
...... and the trigger was awesome. Awesome like cz p10, vp9, etc. If this is what the new gen 5's are designed they should sell a lot of them.

Its funny that you liked it, because I tried my neighbors gen 5 (very new) and compared to my (very not new) gen 3, i felt like the 3 had the better trigger. I hate the roll before the break that the new plunger has. I prefer my triggers to come to a complete stop at the wall, and then any movement after the wall is a break. If I could put a SSA in a glock I would.

misfit47
06-07-18, 19:06
The gen 5 17 is nice. Wanted a 19 until I held it. Didn't like it. Ended up going with the 19x and no regrets.

jpgm
06-07-18, 21:17
That gen5 trigger definitely had a better pull and break than my factory gen2 g19 and duty gen3 g22. It's a winner for those of us who don't/ can't go outside of the factory for our triggers.

jpgm

noonesshowmonkey
06-07-18, 21:31
...Honestly my only gripe is no forward serrations, other than that I think Glock knocked it out of the park with the gen 5’s.

Pretty much where I stand on it. All that said, I my Glocks are all Gen 3 & 4. The Gen 5s that I have shot were great, though. Front slide serrations would have been enough for me to get one, sight unseen.

misfit47
06-07-18, 21:35
Am I the only one that does not care for fcs? Not on a glock, 1911, or CZ. I don't use them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PatrioticDisorder
06-08-18, 14:31
I love the Gen5, I am not a huge fan of the mag well cut out on the 19, but it’s not a dealbreaker either. It’s something you notice gripping and farting around with the gun but notice much less so when shooting. For most people, the cut out on the 17 is a non issue. Notice there is a serious lack of “brass to the face”Glock threads? It seems Glock has fixed this with the Gen5 Glock, extractor geometry was one change noted early on but glossed over by many, IMO one of the more important “upgrades” Glock made.

noonesshowmonkey
06-08-18, 15:35
I love the Gen5, I am not a huge fan of the mag well cut out on the 19, but it’s not a dealbreaker either. It’s something you notice gripping and farting around with the gun but notice much less so when shooting.

To me, anyone that shits on the cut outs doesn't shoot with standards for time, accuracy, movement, multiple targets, etc. Much less sims, with rounds incoming. Much less on a legit two-way range. Personally, one of the historic problems with the Gen4 Glocks is stripping the magazine during a mag change, especially with gloves on. The Gen3s with Vickers parts are the best I've dealt with in this regard. The Gen4 Vickers release isn't proud of the frame in the same way the Gen3 is. I still have to reach up and strip the magazine with either platform, but have the most fumbles with the Gen4s. That cut out makes stripping the magazine EXTREMELY reliable. And! And! The Gen5 standard magazine has a slightly extended floorplate. Were I buying a new Glock any time soon, I'd be getting a Gen5 and loving life.

Magsz
06-16-18, 14:47
To me, anyone that shits on the cut outs doesn't shoot with standards for time, accuracy, movement, multiple targets, etc. Much less sims, with rounds incoming. Much less on a legit two-way range. Personally, one of the historic problems with the Gen4 Glocks is stripping the magazine during a mag change, especially with gloves on. The Gen3s with Vickers parts are the best I've dealt with in this regard. The Gen4 Vickers release isn't proud of the frame in the same way the Gen3 is. I still have to reach up and strip the magazine with either platform, but have the most fumbles with the Gen4s. That cut out makes stripping the magazine EXTREMELY reliable. And! And! The Gen5 standard magazine has a slightly extended floorplate. Were I buying a new Glock any time soon, I'd be getting a Gen5 and loving life.

Say what?

Gloves impeding the magazine from dropping is an equipment issue that should not be solved via an irritation point for people that dont shoot with gloves.

Maybe 1% of the Glock buying population shoots with gloves.

99% of road patrol Law Enforcement officers dont walk around with gloves on all the time.

99% of civilians, unless you're a LARPing fool, dont shoot with gloves on.

99% of SWAT and specialized units shoot with gloves on.

99% of SWAT teams and specialized units are NOT using g19's with that awful, irritating cutout. For the .5's I get the existence of the cutout due to the magazine flare. However, I still maintain that for the 19.5 it was a bad design choice as it is a huge point of irritation and hardly necessary. My work gun is a gen 4 17 with no cutout and I have zero issues with mags sticking in the gun. Additionally, the Agency sim guns are gen 3's with no cutouts and when a magazine stuck, I cleared it from the firearm like i always do by grabbing the baseplate.

Stripping magazines pre gen 5 and pre cut out was and is EXTREMELY easy. The base plate on a Glock is quite thick and quite easy to get a hold of should you NEED to forcibly remove it. I dont understand your cool guy post...at all. Can you share a little bit of your background and why you think magazines MUST be stripped on all reloads during FOF, sims, and the "two way range"? Additionally, if you shoot for time or standards, stripping magazines is always slower so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Maybe stop wearing gloves?

I dont get your post, at all. Denigrating people that dont like the cutout by saying they have no experience is just stupid.

noonesshowmonkey
06-16-18, 15:22
...Stripping magazines pre gen 5 and pre cut out was and is EXTREMELY easy. The base plate on a Glock is quite thick and quite easy to get a hold of should you NEED to forcibly remove it. I dont understand your cool guy post...at all. Can you share a little bit of your background and why you think magazines MUST be stripped on all reloads during FOF, sims, and the "two way range"? Additionally, if you shoot for time or standards, stripping magazines is always slower so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Maybe stop wearing gloves?

I dont get your post, at all. Denigrating people that dont like the cutout by saying they have no experience is just stupid.

The point of the post was not specific to the cut-outs, though the cut-outs were the catalyst. To think that the OEM glock got it right, especially with gloves on, is to miss the boat on the Vickers stuff. It is night and day, running the gun with an extended mag release, extended slide stop, extended baseplates.

I, personally, have a really hard time indexing the magazine release on the OEM glocks. My grip is choked up pretty damn high on the frame, and to hit the release, I have to readjust the whole grip. Maybe my fingers aren't long enough (XL glove, tho)? The problem is made worse with gloves, and if you know you are going into a fight, gloves are a pretty big deal. I put them on whenever I am en route to a hot call and I have belief that I'll be putting my hands on someone, maybe needing to strip my shooting iron and get after it, or have to climb over some shitass fence in the bad part of town...

As far as why these kinds of improvements would come off as 'necessary' for me, or for any shooter that takes their craft seriously, is that the reload is definitely a place where we all lose time. Given the above stated issues with indexing the magazine release, I often have trouble getting the mag to drop free, especially when my focus is on a target or on time, rather than on specifically on my gun. When I rip the mag, I get it every time, the first time.

So, I'll take whatever advantages that I can get toward that end: grip cut outs, extended base plates, extended magazine releases, etc.

If the grip cuts don't fit you, they don't fit you. That is a legit gripe. But they are there for a reason. Maybe it isn't a reason that comes up with your particular hands... But, again, the OEM Glock really came into its own for me with the Vickers stuff, and the Gen5s are adapting much of those improvements as standard issue.

Finally, when it comes to denigrating people as 'non-shooters', the tone, while very brusque, addresses the fact that standing at the 7-yard line and carefully plinking won't really show you whether or not you need any adjuncts for stripping the magazine. I guarantee you that a shooter with external pressures of time, distance, accuracy standards, movement, and the possibility of incoming fire is going to discover all kinds of shit about themselves as a shooter, and their chosen platform, that would otherwise elude the average plinker. And, for me, that has shown me that stripping mags is definitely a place that I needed to address. My issue side arm is a Gen 2 with the cut outs, a worn out magazine release, and we are prohibited from modifying our weapons (as most any armed professional). Thankfully, the cut outs are there (and they don't bother my hands, even without gloves... Glock-Knuckle, on the other hand...) and I can rip the magazine.

If you don't need them, you don't need them. It sounds like you have done plenty of work to figure out what you do and don't need. I'd love to have a Gen4 Glock 17 as my work gun instead of a tired ass Gen 2 Glock 22 with a New York trigger... But, I digress. I guess my comments weren't targeting you, and definitely could have been worded more politely.

I honestly don't feel the grip of my handgun after a set of sprints, shooting for time.

glockdude215
06-21-18, 07:59
I sold my Gen 5 17 not because it was a bad gun (it wasn't), but I just like the shorter grip of the 19 more. It just fits my hand better. My gen 5 19 has been awesome. Like others have said I'd prefer no mag cutout but its a minor gripe and gets more attention than it should. The trigger feels lighter and crisper to me as well. As for the front serrations-see if you can pick up one of those gen 4 summer specials from last year because they're pretty sweet. The Gen 5 design should have incorporated those too in my opinion but oh well.

Fpnunes
06-23-18, 05:32
As a lefty, the FCS on my 19.4SS and 17.4SS absolutely make both guns perfect. Had glock put them on the G5s I would have bought the 19/17 pair again. I love the no finger grooves but find the G5 slick slide finish too slippery to press check/rack. Hopefully, somewhere down the road they will introduce a run of them. OMMV.

Hoosier15
06-23-18, 13:17
Just in case anyone was interested, the G26 G5 is nice too. Mines chugging right along with close to 500rnds of everything through it.
Did have concerns over the wear on the barrel hood considering some Gen 3s with thousands of rounds have no wear. But we shall see?

Guns-up.50
06-28-18, 23:23
My dep. Recently went to Gen 5 17s from gen4 22s. As a lefty with a high thumbs forward grip I have locked the slide on a full mag inadvertently. I have mostly overcome this. We purchased our 17s with stock night sights on.. not impressed. The grip is very nice and the gun is 100%. I'm on a special response team so we shoot regularly and no one has had issues with reliability. The finish on the barrel seams to wear more quickly than my gen 3s/4s with thousands of rnds not sure why? All in all gen 3s are still my favorite, but the gen 5 is an overall improvement.

MStarmer
06-30-18, 15:39
I continue to be impressed with my G17 each time I go to the range. I have some pretty heavily modded Glocks but honestly this one only needed sights. I've been struggling with some new glasses / bi-focals and still managed to shoot this group at 25yds (without glasses at all). Point of aim was the bottom of the bull, sights were a combat precision rear and a plain black front.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/834/42396759634_f717b4a422_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27Astyo)fullsizeoutput_8b4 (https://flic.kr/p/27Astyo) by Michael Starmer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156641484@N07/), on Flickr

BWT
07-07-18, 11:03
I might be cynical but it cracks me up the trepidation that people talk about the new Glocks with.

I have a Gen 5 19 and it works great. If you mentioned the CZ P-10 C and you’ve put 300-500 rounds though it no malfunctions “CZ’s a Glock killer” or the new M&P’s same thing. Glock Gen 5? 500-600 rounds and “well, we’ll see it’s not field tested”.

I think everyone harkens back to the Gen 4 brass to face and now it’s taught us to put the Glocks under a microscope.

Mine hasn’t malfunctioned and I’m probably near 600-800 rounds. I think I had some 115 gr PMC (pretty soft shooting) give me a few brass to face in the first 100 rounds.

Other then that I certainly have had no malfunctions and I can’t recall any other BTF’s. Shoots really accurately; I was shooting to the left some, but the sights were on. I put on the medium blackstrap and I’m having no further issues.

I like the new finish, and with my hand shape the magwell also prevents me from pinching my palm on seating magazines (used to happen occasionally with the Gen 4 19). Overall, very pleased.

I keep thinking about the 34 Gen 5.

God Bless,

Brandon

L-2
07-07-18, 19:24
Both my G17Gen5 and G19Gen5 each have 9,000 rounds through them.
I'm not getting brass to the face (unlike I did initially with my older G17Gen3; cured with a 30274 ejector).

I needed to sort out the sighting. Both came with the standard .165" polymer fronts and Glock's new-style 6.1mm polymer rears (aka GMS, I think means Glock Modified Sights). The GMS rear sights have a deeper rear slot and the overall width of the entire sight is narrower (than the old original rear poly sights).

I got my Gen5 Glocks in Oct '17. I haven't decided to get the G26Gen5 or G34Gen5 as I have both of these models already in Gen3 and Gen4, but then again, I already had the Gen3 and Gen4 with the G17 and G19, too.

I've no scientific test for my shooting but I seemed to group a bit low for my liking with the G17Gen5 and replaced the sights with standard Glock night sights (.165" front and 6.5mm rear). With the G19Gen5, for now, I'm leaving the .165" front with its 6.1mm rear as that gun seems to be generally hitting POI at POA at 15 yards (POI=point of impact; POA=point of aim).

With any Glock, I'll often shoot steel-cased Wolf (WPA), Tula, or Winchester ammo for practice. Steel-cased ammo generally bunches up in my double-stack mags often resulting with loose rounds in the upper half of the mag and the rest of the rounds bound up half way down where the blockage originates. The last time I bought 9mm ammo I remembered to buy brass-cased ammo but I've still got a couple thousand rounds left of this steel-cased stuff to shoot.

(I forgot and recently just bought another 1K rounds of .45ACP with steel-cases, although this typically feeds fine in my single-stack 1911 pistols, but not my G30Gen4 mags).

My groups do seem to be a bit smaller with my Gen5 Glocks, compared to my Gen3 and Gen4 models, but this is all usually at 15 yards where I'm still personally struggling for consistent accuracy over a 100 round session, standing & 2-handed. Sometimes I just have bad days and should have stayed home instead of going to the range.

Wiggity
07-11-18, 16:33
Love my gen 5 G17. I just wish they had an OEM extended slide release for it. I put the OEM extended slide release on all of my gen 4's, but they don't have it for the ambi gen 5's yet. Pain.

RJflyer
07-11-18, 18:54
My blue label G19.5 runs like a champ. I was initially apprehensive about the magwell cutout. But I don't notice it when running live fire drills, so its a non-issue for me.

07-12-18, 10:05
Blew through the 500 rounds without out a single problem of any kind. Got it really nice and hot and it just kept on chugging away. I lubed it prior to shooting using Glock's recommended application points and amounts...worked like a charm.

Hadoken
07-12-18, 15:07
Love my gen 5 G17. I just wish they had an OEM extended slide release for it. I put the OEM extended slide release on all of my gen 4's, but they don't have it for the ambi gen 5's yet. Pain.

Glock part# 47249 is what you’re looking for. It comes on the Glock 34 gen 5. You might have to get an armorer to order it from Glock direct if you can’t find a take off.

For example: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/207643/47249/glock-gen5-ambidextrous-extended-slide-stop-lever

They also used a part number 33797 briefly, I don’t know if the part changed or just the part number.

hotrodder636
07-12-18, 18:52
I grabbed a G34/5 Blue label a couple months ago. I have about 350 rounds through it. Shoots very well for me. No BTF (yet). I am very pleased with it so far and most especially it’s accuracy...one of my top 3 if not top 2 most accurate 9mms.

I might be cynical but it cracks me up the trepidation that people talk about the new Glocks with.

I have a Gen 5 19 and it works great. If you mentioned the CZ P-10 C and you’ve put 300-500 rounds though it no malfunctions “CZ’s a Glock killer” or the new M&P’s same thing. Glock Gen 5? 500-600 rounds and “well, we’ll see it’s not field tested”.

I think everyone harkens back to the Gen 4 brass to face and now it’s taught us to put the Glocks under a microscope.

Mine hasn’t malfunctioned and I’m probably near 600-800 rounds. I think I had some 115 gr PMC (pretty soft shooting) give me a few brass to face in the first 100 rounds.

Other then that I certainly have had no malfunctions and I can’t recall any other BTF’s. Shoots really accurately; I was shooting to the left some, but the sights were on. I put on the medium blackstrap and I’m having no further issues.

I like the new finish, and with my hand shape the magwell also prevents me from pinching my palm on seating magazines (used to happen occasionally with the Gen 4 19). Overall, very pleased.

I keep thinking about the 34 Gen 5.

God Bless,

Brandon

sundance435
07-13-18, 10:27

Brandon

I was hesitant at first because they changed the trigger mechanism and I've got a ton of spare Gen 3 trigger springs around. Why tinker with something that works? Now I get it, since the trigger is noticeably better on my Gen 5 19 (had an Apex trigger and connector, but went back to the stock trigger w/ the Apex connector). It does suck that I now have to buy a $11 part instead of a $4 part if the spring fails. That being said, I love my 19.5 (except the magwell cutout and the stupid non-beveled frame on mine) and I just picked up a 19X.

opngrnd
07-17-18, 19:49
Picked up a Gen5 17. The grip is as good as perfect for my hand. Gen4 17 frames feel skinny in the wrong place, where as the Gen4 19 feels good but gives me bad Glock knuckle. Mine shoots to the left with stock sights, hopefully I can run 10-8 sights centered as usual. I'm tempted to pick up a G19-5 now.

Edit: I'm shooting everything to the left right now. Probably isn't the pistol. (Perishable skills and all, I've been shooting rifle lately.)

mcoperator1911
07-19-18, 10:15
Glock part# 47249 is what you’re looking for. It comes on the Glock 34 gen 5. You might have to get an armorer to order it from Glock direct if you can’t find a take off.

For example: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/207643/47249/glock-gen5-ambidextrous-extended-slide-stop-lever

They also used a part number 33797 briefly, I don’t know if the part changed or just the part number.
I just got an extended slide release from Sportsmans Outdoors. Its going on my G17 when it gets issued to me next month.

mike benedict
07-23-18, 14:29
I have several thousand rounds through my gen 5 17. No issues with anything at all. I'm currently running a Taran Tactical guide rod, which I like a lot.
As far as I'm concerned Glock hit a home run.

Walker_Texasranger
07-24-18, 14:21
I have several thousand rounds through my gen 5 17. No issues with anything at all. I'm currently running a Taran Tactical guide rod, which I like a lot.

What loads do you run with that TTI? I’ve been thinking about getting one of those 14lb guide rods too, because unless you are shooting +p or something, the factory springs are oversprung. Any issues going in to battery or anything?

bigkracka
07-29-18, 09:20
What loads do you run with that TTI? I’ve been thinking about getting one of those 14lb guide rods too, because unless you are shooting +p or something, the factory springs are oversprung. Any issues going in to battery or anything?

I would like to know as well. How is the recoil impulse compared to the stock RSA?

Figured Tangodown would have the Vickers extended slide stop available by now.

jesuvuah
07-29-18, 11:13
I am glad to hear things are going well. I am patiently waiting to get one.

I have several gen 3s. I bought on gen4, but sold it because, other then the safety, it did not do much for me. I fondled a 19.5, 17.5, and a 19x. The x was my favorite and is what I plan on getting first.

Now the question rolling through my mind is, do I ditch my gen 3s to fund a bunch of gen 5s.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
07-29-18, 11:36
This is funny.

Say what?

Gloves impeding the magazine from dropping is an equipment issue that should not be solved via an irritation point for people that dont shoot with gloves.

Maybe 1% of the Glock buying population shoots with gloves.

99% of road patrol Law Enforcement officers dont walk around with gloves on all the time.

99% of civilians, unless you're a LARPing fool, dont shoot with gloves on.

99% of SWAT and specialized units shoot with gloves on.

99% of SWAT teams and specialized units are NOT using g19's with that awful, irritating cutout. For the .5's I get the existence of the cutout due to the magazine flare. However, I still maintain that for the 19.5 it was a bad design choice as it is a huge point of irritation and hardly necessary. My work gun is a gen 4 17 with no cutout and I have zero issues with mags sticking in the gun. Additionally, the Agency sim guns are gen 3's with no cutouts and when a magazine stuck, I cleared it from the firearm like i always do by grabbing the baseplate.

Stripping magazines pre gen 5 and pre cut out was and is EXTREMELY easy. The base plate on a Glock is quite thick and quite easy to get a hold of should you NEED to forcibly remove it. I dont understand your cool guy post...at all. Can you share a little bit of your background and why you think magazines MUST be stripped on all reloads during FOF, sims, and the "two way range"? Additionally, if you shoot for time or standards, stripping magazines is always slower so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Maybe stop wearing gloves?

Eurodriver
07-29-18, 11:45

I have a Gen5 G19 which has an even shorter grip than the 17 and have no issues with the cutout despite my big ass hands. I agree. The Gen5 is actually “perfection”.

Outlander Systems
07-29-18, 11:58
The Gen5 Glocks are phenomenal guns out of the box.

I have a Gen5 G19 which has an even shorter grip than the 17 and have no issues with the cutout despite my big ass hands. I agree. The Gen5 is actually “perfection”.

MStarmer
07-31-18, 16:33
Each range trip I get more and more impressed with my Gen 5 17. The only mod is a Combat Precision rear sight and a Dawson fiber front. My only issue has been front sight height, I have a .245 front currently and it seems to be about right.

The targets were shot with 147gr reloads, the blue at 50ft and the shoot-n-c type at 25yds. I was kind of doing a ladder test with 115/124/147, they all seemed to group decent.

I know these aren't the greatest groups shot by man but for me without glasses, shooting off my range bag as a makeshift rest and barely able to make out the targets I think it's decent. I'm struggling with 50yr old eyes and haven't quite figured it out.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/862/42866354185_9370bc2df0_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28iXgEa)0nXT5nTKRzGh0j1ce5oDGQ (https://flic.kr/p/28iXgEa) by Michael Starmer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156641484@N07/), on Flickr

Eurodriver
08-04-18, 07:58
The Gen5 Glocks are phenomenal guns out of the box.

Yeah and the best part is you don’t have to look like a loser gun guy for owning one the same way you do when you own a S&W, FN, Sig, etc.

Everyone knows what a Glock is. No explanation needed.

RND
08-04-18, 10:41
Yeah and the best part is you don’t have to look like a loser gun guy for owning one the same way you do when you own a S&W, FN, Sig, etc.

...LOL...

RHINOWSO
08-04-18, 11:31

Girl let you off the leash today? Congrats! :p

hile
08-04-18, 14:16
I haven't shot my G5 G17 in some time. I did find interestingly that with my G34 Gen5 I seem to be squeezing later with my pinky/heel of my hand as I break the shot with the full-length grip. I'll be interested to take the G17 out and see if I see the same behavior. Or my 19X for that matter. I routinely carry my G19, but I do prefer the full size grip because my whole hand fits on it.

Glock9mm1990
08-05-18, 18:35
When a new handgun (or variant thereof) is introduced, I'm one of those guys that waits a while to see if any unforeseen hiccups pop up. So far the G17 Gen 5 seems to be performing well. Does the older polygonal-style rifling have the potential for a longer service life than the new Marksman type?

The Marksman Barrel is still polygonal rifling.

ralph
08-14-18, 15:09
Well, I dipped my toes into the water today...Traded a LNIB Gen3, G21, that was a LEO trade-in, that had a serious BTFproblem, for a NIB Gen5, G19...did'nt have alot of time to shoot at the shops indoor range, ran 5 mags through of my loads, had one land on my shoulder, and a couple skin the top of my head, one forward ejection, overall, a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over the last 4 g19's I've owned in the past.. Ejection seem strong to the right, with 99% of the loads I was shooting..I'm thinking it'll improve with some rounds through it, as I just ran it right out of the box.. With the g21 trade, I paid $206 with tax, for a new gen 5, I think I did good..

opngrnd
08-15-18, 21:47
What do most of you do to non-permanently enhance grip? Going from the G19.4 to the G17.5 I find myself adding the medium backstrap to try to get better finger placement. I'm going to try the beavertail one first, but the grip seems slick. I think I'm used to the G19 grip hump being more pronounced.

tom12.7
08-16-18, 03:04
I use the medium with the beavertail. Without the beavertail extension, gloves get shredded by the slide.

hile
08-16-18, 09:11
Agreed. I use the medium beavertail backstrap. My grip is quite high, so the beavertail helps.

opngrnd
08-26-18, 18:11
I feel like the new finish wears quickly compared to the old finish. It doesn't bother me at all but I was surprised by it.

ralph
09-26-18, 13:20
Has anyone had any issues running Ameriglo I-dots?

Damn_yankee
09-26-18, 15:06
Has anyone had any issues running Ameriglo I-dots?

I shot 5-6” low with mine from about 10 or so yards. Ameriglo swapped me a .200 front for the.220 that came with it. It’s better but I still have to shoot it from a bench to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk