PDA

View Full Version : replace triangular handguard cap with round

SST
06-08-18, 14:27
Opened box for new Magpul SL handguard, then noticed I have triangular handguard cap. Is there another slim drop-in handguard, or should I just replace original cap with round cap? If I went through all the trouble for the latter, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just eliminate A-2 post sight and just go with free floated handguard. Opinions?

HeruMew
06-08-18, 14:36
Opened box for new Magpul SL handguard, then noticed I have triangular handguard cap. Is there another slim drop-in handguard, or should I just replace original cap with round cap? If I went through all the trouble for the latter, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just eliminate A-2 post sight and just go with free floated handguard. Opinions?

I know I am looking at the opposite issue.

Bought a PKMR-Midlength. It's supposed to be a triangle cap, but the round works. I don't think it'll work that way for yah.

Cutting down the FSP won't require you to remove it. But switching out the handguards for a freefloat will since the gastube will have to be pulled. No matter what you're looking at needing a couple blocks o' wood and a heavy hammer with a punch. My opine: Save the monies and swap out the caps.

Unless you're really intent on going FreeFloat. Buying a whole new rail, cutting down the FSP, unpinning it, pulling the delta ring, replacing it with FF, torqueing back on, reinstalling. It's a lot more than: Unpinning, swap caps, align it all, repin, drop in handguard.

Quite literally, you're looking at 1-4 hours of work (depending on your pace and if Murphy is on your side) for the cutting and such, while the cap replacement will take 20-30 minutes. Again... Supposing Murphy doesn't decide to rain on your parade.

On that topic great choice with the SL, one of my favorite drop in polymer handguards. Until I met the PKMR, that is.

MistWolf
06-08-18, 14:53
It's not difficult to swap handguard caps. The Magpul SL handguards are my favorite and have them fitted on several ARs.

SST
06-08-18, 15:41
Thank you for the quick replies. I went ahead and ordered the round cap since it was only $3.00. Couldn't stand waiting, so I removed the old cap. Maybe I just got lucky, but it only took five minutes to remove flash hider, A-2 sight, and cap. Taper pins came out very easily. I'll install the Magpul SL when I get the round cap. Since this was much easier than anticipated, if I decide later to get a low profile gas block and free floated handguard, I now know it won't be that big of a deal. Thanks, again.
Sam

titsonritz
06-08-18, 18:03
You are aware there are two sizes, right? And you order the correct size.

SST
06-08-18, 20:36
You're right. I ordered the .75.