PDA

View Full Version : Larry Vickers - Brady, TX 28-30 March 2009

ashooter
10-24-08, 15:36
Larry Vickers will be coming back to the Quinn Ranch near Brady, Texas for another 3-day Pistol Course!

Dates are March 28-30, 2009.

CLASS IS FULL AS OF JAN 2, 2009. EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT ON THE STAND-BY LIST

This course will be a repeat of last years course that will include aspects of “Pistol Basic” as described on Vickers Tactical’s website, and then progress through “Pistol 1”. Students will be evaluated on day 1 and the course tailored to push this class as far as possible in the time available.

Topics covered include the following: safety, stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger control, field stripping and maintenance, concealed carry methods, reloads, draw, malfunction clearance, shooting on the move as well as strong hand and weak hand shooting... Timed fire drills and evaluations based on class skill level... There will be a NIGHT SHOOT on Day-2!

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS:
- Eye and ear protection (electronic muffs preferred)
- Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
- Serviceable holster
- Handheld flashlight and extra batteries
- 1 double magazine pouch
- Minimum of 3 serviceable magazines (5 is better)
- Minimum of 1200 rounds of ammo – factory service type (no reloads)
- Suitable range wear for Texas springtime (40F-90F, rain or shine)
- Good attitude

PRICE FOR THIS CLASS IS $600.00, SPACE IS LIMITED SO ENROLL ASAP!

Email Lloyd Gully for more information, or for an enrollment form – shooter_lg AT hotmail.com

Spooky130
10-25-08, 13:55
Go to this course! It is an excellent chance with a great instructor! I went last year and if I wasn't moving next month I'd be enrolled already. Don't miss your chance to train with Larry Vickers!

Spooky

Wayne Dobbs
10-27-08, 13:24
Spooky,

Wish you were going to be there brother! Can you maybe do a flyover for us??!!

Take care, bro!

Wayne

Wayne Dobbs
10-27-08, 13:26
Voice mail message out to you Lloyd.

WD

xtremejc
10-27-08, 15:44
Where is Quinn Ranch? Is it near the Waco/Austin/Temple area or by Nacogdoches... There are two Brady, TX towns...

I would like to get the enrollment form and more info if possible...

ashooter
10-27-08, 15:51
Where is Quinn Ranch? Is it near the Waco/Austin/Temple area or by Nacogdoches... There are two Brady, TX towns...

I would like to get the enrollment form and more info if possible...

Just shoot me an email and I'll send you the form ASAP. "shooter_lg at hotmail.com"

This Brady is in McCulloch County - more or less west of Killeen.

Lloyd

thetallengineer
11-10-08, 09:57
Email sent for form request.

ashooter
11-29-08, 13:26
We still have a few openings. Email me if you want in!

thanks.

bbqbologna
12-21-08, 09:00
I'm very interested in this training. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is prior training/certification required or needed for this course?
2) I'd be flying in from out-of-state, how are accommodations handled?

Thanks,
John

ashooter
12-21-08, 12:00
John,

This course is an "entry level" course, but it is NOT really for a guy who isn't pretty well dialed in as far as safety and basic gun handling goes. You don't need to have any prior "training", but a solid handle on safety and the basic operation of your chosen firearm is a must. Inaccurate shooting is one thing, but safety violations will get you a one-way ticket off the property!

We've had students fly in from as far as Vermont (at least)... You handle everything but the training yourself. Motel, food, transportation is on you. The Quinn Ranch provides the place to do the class, and does some of the admin stuff for Larry, but that's it.

Shoot me an email if you want to discuss any of this in more detail.

Lloyd

The Archangel
12-23-08, 14:34
How long of a drive is Brady from Houston?

ashooter
12-23-08, 14:40
How long of a drive is Brady from Houston?

I would guess the most direct route would be to go to Austin, then Burnet, then Brady.... Probably about a 5 hour drive?

ashooter
01-02-09, 16:13
CLASS IS FULL AS OF JAN 2, 2009. EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT ON THE STAND-BY LIST

Blinking Dog
03-15-09, 15:27
Can anyone who has been to a class in Brady (LAV's or otherwise) give a few ideas for items they wish they'd brought with them but didn't...? I'm under the impression that this is kind of a makeshift range without much in the way of support areas such as benches, covered areas, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne Dobbs
03-15-09, 19:52
BD,

The range is a berm pushed up on the range and has NO facilities. Bring a chair to sit in and some snacks and drinks. You're only 10 minutes from town, so life ain't bad there at all!

Wayne

Aubrey
03-16-09, 21:22
The Quinn Ranch range is bare-bones but entirely adequate.

Comfort stuff I bring in addition to normal range gear:
Layered clothing for hot/cold/sun/wind/rain/shine
Water
Electrolyte Replacement (e.g., Gatorade, Gookinade...)
Lunch
snacks
Sunscreen
Lip Balm w/ sunscreen
Bandana or shemagh to protect neck from sun and hot-brass burns
Blowout kit
Owie kit
Baby wipes
Antibacterial hand cleaner
Folding chair
Trash bags
Nitrile gloves for brass calls

Wayne Dobbs
03-17-09, 08:47
And where else are you going to train where you can see nice white tail deer and hear the lovelorn wild turkeys gobbling for a mate from the range?

Good list, Aubrey!

Blinking Dog
03-20-09, 10:41
The Quinn Ranch range is bare-bones but entirely adequate.

Comfort stuff I bring in addition to normal range gear:
Layered clothing for hot/cold/sun/wind/rain/shine
Water
Electrolyte Replacement (e.g., Gatorade, Gookinade...)
Lunch
snacks
Sunscreen
Lip Balm w/ sunscreen
Bandana or shemagh to protect neck from sun and hot-brass burns
Blowout kit
Owie kit
Baby wipes
Antibacterial hand cleaner
Folding chair
Trash bags
Nitrile gloves for brass calls

Thanks for the list Aubrey.
By the way, what is a "blowout kit"?

Wayne Dobbs
03-20-09, 18:05
It's a basic trauma kit that you carry on your person to quickly address penetrating injuries, compromised airways or severe bleeding.

Aubrey
03-21-09, 17:35
As always, Wayne is correct. See the Components of a decent trauma kit? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27217) discussion for what might be found in a blowout kit, AKA trauma kit, AKA Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK), etc...

Blinking Dog
03-24-09, 13:41
Thanks for the input guys. Now for my Columbo impersonation, ah just one more thing. Is the range situated such that I can back my SUV up and pop the rear door open and have my ammo, cooler, etc right there handy? Or do I need to be prepared to tote my ammo out to the range in a big bag or cart?

Wayne Dobbs
03-24-09, 14:51
Heath,

It's "rustic tailgate friendly" so no problems mate! We park a very short distance off the end of the 50 yard line of the range.

thetallengineer
03-25-09, 10:09
Just as a side note for those that haven't been there, while there are a few food places relatively close, it is better to pack your lunch or bring a cooler.