PDA

View Full Version : 25k jump, no chute

WillBrink
06-13-18, 14:19
There's nads of uranium and then there's this guy. This seems to one of the greatest feats of skill and daring in human history: 25k jump with no chute to hit a 100'x100' specially designed net. No human has ever done that. Yet, it seemed to get little press when it happened a few years ago. The one guy did land in a bunch of boxes wearing a wingsuit, which was amazing enough, but this is insane.

Maybe a some starlet got a new butt lift that day and the media et al missed it? Every time I watch this it makes me stomach tighten, even knowing how it ends. Years of prep went into it. Imagine the feeling when the guys around him pulled their chutes and were gone and he was alone making minor adjustments? Imagine the number of variables that all had to go right, and the few that if they'd gone wrong, and splat. Imagine realizing that you were off say 50ft and you were not gonna make it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=6qF_fzEI4wU

Moose-Knuckle
06-13-18, 14:42
I watched that live when it went down.

Insane in the membrane.

grnamin
06-13-18, 14:53
I'm looking forward to seeing the tech that went into the net being used for high rise rescues, if ever.

MegademiC
06-13-18, 18:02
****, he didnt exactly nail the center. I saw the wingsuit one, never this one.

yoni
06-13-18, 18:10
WOW! That is just insane.

ABNAK
06-13-18, 18:41
Sadly, he will do some stunt one day that will kill him.

But yeah, it was incredibly insane. I'm guessing he rolled onto his back (I couldn't tell) right before impact.....you wouldn't want to be bent backwards as you slowed from ~ 126mph terminal velocity. Wonder if it knocked the wind out of him?

SteyrAUG
06-13-18, 19:29
I'm never gonna need to feel that cool. It's impressive, but I remember when the wingsuit dude lost to vegas odds.

That said, I'm in complete agreement with grnamin and wish the WTC had been surrounded by those nets on 9-11. Looks like a promising "low tech" solution.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-14-18, 00:25
The funny thing is, does 25k matter? Really? 50 feet requires less skill, but just as dead.

SteyrAUG
06-14-18, 01:24
The funny thing is, does 25k matter? Really? 50 feet requires less skill, but just as dead.

Well if you are going to potentially die, might as well set the record. And honestly, for the record, Kittinger had the most important jump at 102,800 feet back in 1960 going 614 miles per hour. He held the record until 2012.

flenna
06-14-18, 05:51

At 25k feet that net is all but invisible.

WillBrink
06-14-18, 07:27

I don't believe you have hit terminal velocity at 50ft and plunging toward a target that you can't even see must be far scarier and of course more difficult.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-14-18, 08:26
I liked the original by Alan Magee who shot down Germans, jumped from a burning plane and landed with out a net. ;)

Skyyr
06-14-18, 09:31
I don't believe you have hit terminal velocity at 50ft and plunging toward a target that you can't even see must be far scarier and of course more difficult.

Terminal velocity is as much of an advantage as a disadvantage. At terminal velocity, his glide ratio was likely ~1:2 or maybe even ~1:1 (compared to ~1:5-1:10 during a fall from, say, an altitude of 300ft, which would be just as deadly). Heck, his speed even allowed him to maneuver and roll on his back before impact. You can't do that at 100ft or even 200ft of altitude, but as the other poster said, you're just as dead. He probably had more advantage being at terminal velocity than say being at 50% of it at a much lower altitude.

You see a lot of this in the aviation world, with simpletons being impressed with a lack of understanding of the basic physics of flight ("watch this amazing pilot land a plane with no engine power whatsoever!!!").

Doesn't mean the guy didn't do something impressive, but there comes a point where it's a lot of hype.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-14-18, 10:53
I saw a video of a wingsuit guy without a chute land amphibian style on the water.

I wonder if his roll at the end moved him towards or away from the center.

If there isn't there should be a new saying "Hold my Red Bull."

Straight Shooter
06-14-18, 11:14
While this was truly awesome- I personally find it to borderline, if not outright morally irresponsible...see the wife & child? Its all good he made it- had he not..think of that boy seeing his dad's body splat all over the ground. TERRIBLE idea in my opinion.

26 Inf
06-14-18, 11:30
While this was truly awesome- I personally find it to borderline, if not outright morally irresponsible...see the wife & child? Its all good he made it- had he not..think of that boy seeing his dad's body splat all over the ground. TERRIBLE idea in my opinion.

That perspective is probably correct. I hadn't looked at it that way. Although his family could be like The Flying Wallendas where growing up the kids come to accept that likelihood.

Also I'm assuming those safeties were with him to 3,000 feet before breakaway. If he wasn't lined up correctly at that point, I'm sure they had a plan.

3 AE
06-15-18, 11:54
I don't care what anybody says. He doesn't have brass balls. They're made of tungsten! :cool:

TAZ
06-15-18, 15:04
Fine line between brave and stupid. I think this falls into the stupid category. If it paves the way towards some nifty high rise escape doohickey then it’s not stupid. Just to say you did it - stupid.

polydeuces
06-15-18, 21:27
Dude is totally sub-moa.
Hitting that at 25 miles..:cool:

ABNAK
06-16-18, 08:11
Dude is totally sub-moa.
Hitting that at 25 miles..:cool:

Wonder what his ballistic coefficient was? :rolleyes:

LoboTBL
06-16-18, 12:38
Is he the same guy that did the space jump several years ago?

WillBrink
06-16-18, 13:06
Is he the same guy that did the space jump several years ago?

Don't think so, but not sure. Was never that impressed with the space jump. It looked cool visually yes. Obviously some technical challenges, but as long as he chute opened, what's the difference between that and say 30k ft? Now, no chute from a distance you can't even see your landing target that's 100'x100' net, now that's messed up ;)

Space jump, way cool

Wing suit into a bunch of boxes, cooler and pretty darn risky

no chute from 25K into a net, is WTF...

Skyyr
06-16-18, 14:52
Don't think so, but not sure. Was never that impressed with the space jump. It looked cool visually yes. Obviously some technical challenges, but as long as he chute opened, what's the difference between that and say 30k ft? Now, no chute from a distance you can't even see your landing target that's 100'x100' net, now that's messed up ;)

Space jump, way cool

Wing suit into a bunch of boxes, cooler and pretty darn risky

no chute from 25K into a net, is WTF...

There's actually a ton of difference between the space jump and a 30k jump, namely the sound barrier and the difficulties it presented (in relation to maintaining a proper descent orientation, slowing down for chute opening, etc.).

PrarieDog
06-16-18, 18:41
Stupid and irresponsible. Has his kids there to potentially (high potential) see his old man die like a dumbass. Neat trick, sure. One way to make it into the books under "stupid ways to die"
Glad he lived to tell about it.

TomMcC
06-16-18, 21:12
Man , that was quite the pucker producer, but I would consider it a violation of the 6th Commandment, and it's made worst that he had a wife and child. Some guys seem to be adrenaline junkies.

The_War_Wagon
06-17-18, 05:31
Did he leave a brown contrail coming in? Because I would have.

The WHOOOOOOOOOOOLE way down... while screaming like a little girl... :fie:

WillBrink
06-17-18, 08:53
There's actually a ton of difference between the space jump and a 30k jump, namely the sound barrier and the difficulties it presented (in relation to maintaining a proper descent orientation, slowing down for chute opening, etc.).

Correction, to my non expert eyes on jumping from such heights, the no shoot jump the most WTF of the three. :neo:

LoboTBL
06-17-18, 08:56
Man , that was quite the pucker producer, but I would consider it a violation of the 6th Commandment, and it's made worst that he had a wife and child. Some guys seem to be adrenaline junkies.

What the hell does him jumping have to do with adultery?

TomMcC
06-17-18, 09:36
What the hell does him jumping have to do with adultery?

I'm not a Roman Catholic. I subscribe to the Protestant version of the 6th. By putting his life in such danger, for what I don't know, I believe he broke the commandment. I try to apply God's law to all situations.

LoboTBL
06-17-18, 10:07
I'll have to watch again. I didn't see him kill anyone or even try to. Is there a thou shalt not do anything dangerous commandment?

TomMcC
06-17-18, 10:47
I'll have to watch again. I didn't see him kill anyone or even try to. Is there a thou shalt not do anything dangerous commandment?

The law of God is quite broad in it's applications Psalm 119:96 encompassing all of life. The implications of the 6th commandment don't just deal with "murder" but also to "preserving" life. Here is the Westminster larger catechism questions 135 and 136. I subscribe to these teachings. I think they are eminently biblical.

Q. 135. What are the duties required in the sixth commandment?

A. The duties required in the sixth commandment are all careful studies, and lawful endeavors, to preserve the life of ourselves[721] and others[722] by resisting all thoughts and purposes,[723] subduing all passions,[724] and avoiding all occasions,[725] temptations,[726] and practices, which tend to the unjust taking away the life of any;[727] by just defence thereof against violence,[728] patient bearing of the hand of God,[729] quietness of mind,[730] cheerfulness of spirit;[731] a sober use of meat,[732] drink,[733] physic,[734] sleep,[735] labour,[736] and recreations;[737] by charitable thoughts,[738] love,[739] compassion,[740] meekness, gentleness, kindness;[741] peaceable,[742] mild and courteous speeches and behaviour;[743] forbearance, readiness to be reconciled, patient bearing and forgiving of injuries, and requiting good for evil;[744] comforting and succouring the distressed and protecting and defending the innocent.[745]

Q. 136. What are the sins forbidden in the sixth commandment?

A. The sins forbidden in the sixth commandment are, all taking away the life of ourselves,[746] or of others,[747] except in case of public justice,[748] lawful war,[749] or necessary defence;[750] the neglecting or withdrawing the lawful and necessary means of preservation of life;[751] sinful anger,[752] hatred,[753] envy,[754] desire of revenge;[755] all excessive passions,[756] distracting cares;[757] immoderate use of meat, drink,[758] labor,[759] and recreations;[760] provoking words,[761] oppression,[762] quarreling,[763] striking, wounding,[764] and whatsoever else tends to the destruction of the life of any.[765]

So, yes, jumping out of airplanes at 25k feet without a parachute to land in a net violates the 6th.

jpmuscle
06-17-18, 11:13
The law of God is quite broad in it's applications Psalm 119:96 encompassing all of life. The implications of the 6th commandment don't just deal with "murder" but also to "preserving" life. Here is the Westminster larger catechism questions 135 and 136. I subscribe to these teachings. I think they are eminently biblical.

Q. 135. What are the duties required in the sixth commandment?

A. The duties required in the sixth commandment are all careful studies, and lawful endeavors, to preserve the life of ourselves[721] and others[722] by resisting all thoughts and purposes,[723] subduing all passions,[724] and avoiding all occasions,[725] temptations,[726] and practices, which tend to the unjust taking away the life of any;[727] by just defence thereof against violence,[728] patient bearing of the hand of God,[729] quietness of mind,[730] cheerfulness of spirit;[731] a sober use of meat,[732] drink,[733] physic,[734] sleep,[735] labour,[736] and recreations;[737] by charitable thoughts,[738] love,[739] compassion,[740] meekness, gentleness, kindness;[741] peaceable,[742] mild and courteous speeches and behaviour;[743] forbearance, readiness to be reconciled, patient bearing and forgiving of injuries, and requiting good for evil;[744] comforting and succouring the distressed and protecting and defending the innocent.[745]

Q. 136. What are the sins forbidden in the sixth commandment?

A. The sins forbidden in the sixth commandment are, all taking away the life of ourselves,[746] or of others,[747] except in case of public justice,[748] lawful war,[749] or necessary defence;[750] the neglecting or withdrawing the lawful and necessary means of preservation of life;[751] sinful anger,[752] hatred,[753] envy,[754] desire of revenge;[755] all excessive passions,[756] distracting cares;[757] immoderate use of meat, drink,[758] labor,[759] and recreations;[760] provoking words,[761] oppression,[762] quarreling,[763] striking, wounding,[764] and whatsoever else tends to the destruction of the life of any.[765]

So, yes, jumping out of airplanes at 25k feet without a parachute to land in a net violates the 6th.

Dude wtf are you talking about. Nobody cares about your American Taliban theology and zealotry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomMcC
06-17-18, 11:18
Dude wtf are you talking about. Nobody cares about your American Taliban theology and zealotry.

Dude, he asked a question or two, and dude I merely answered him as best as I could, fleshed it out a bit, because you know dude, he engaged. So, dude, others didn't think what the guy did was right either. But you know dude, why don't you NOT read what I've said...then you can feel better. Dude.

LoboTBL
06-17-18, 11:21
Nevermind

TomMcC
06-17-18, 11:24
Thank you.

If you didn't want an answer from me, you should have not asked. But you did didn't you?

TomMcC
06-17-18, 11:30
If you didn't want an answer from me, you should have not asked. But you did didn't you?

There are many, probably not here, that would consider my answer quite reasonable, but then they might ask me why I would waste my time talking to people that call me Taliban...I wonder myself sometimes.

LoboTBL
06-17-18, 11:31

I'll remember not to ask even an obvious rhetorical question in the future.

The obvious answer was there never has been and is not such a commandment.

You had to pull up some obscure interpretation by a group of men attempting to interpret and thus greatly complicate a simple concept and directive.

This is the entire problem with organized religion.

My apologies to the OP and everyone else for the temporary 90 degree detour of this thread.

TomMcC
06-17-18, 11:36
I'll remember not to ask even an obvious rhetorical question in the future.

The obvious answer was there never has been and is not such a commandment.

You had to pull up some obscure interpretation by a group of men attempting to interpret and thus greatly complicate a simple concept and directive.

This is the entire problem with organized religion.

My apologies to the OP and everyone else for the temporary 90 degree detour of this thread.

Don't ask, I don't care.

And the Westminster Confession of Faith is hardly obscure, It's known of by millions of Christians for the last 350 years throughout the world. It's just obscured from your unbelieving mind.

Outlander Systems
06-17-18, 11:42
I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties.

:jester:

TomMcC
06-17-18, 11:52
I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties.

:jester:

Probably not at your parties.

But back to the original topic. I'm glad the fellow survived, and that his wife still has a husband and his children still have a father.

jpmuscle
06-17-18, 12:03
Don't ask, I don't care.

And the Westminster Confession of Faith is hardly obscure, It's known of by millions of Christians for the last 350 years throughout the world. It's just obscured from your unbelieving mind.

Roflz

TomMcC
06-17-18, 12:21
Roflz

Have a splendid day, really I hope your day goes well.

jpmuscle
06-17-18, 13:08
Have a splendid day, really I hope your day goes well.

Have a blessed day yourself amigo