PDA

View Full Version : Charles Daly Lower Assembly

Walkalong
10-24-08, 18:02
I just picked up this Charles Daly lower assembly today. I have to say it looks great in person. I hope my pics do it justice. I am impressed with it. Now I just need to try it out. Later, as funds allow, I will buy or put together an upper for it. I also intend to put a better trigger in it one day soon.
$295.90 tax and all to me. :D

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x37/Walkalong/DSC05438a.jpg?t=1224887920
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x37/Walkalong/DSC05397a.jpg?t=1224887948

BigTime
10-24-08, 18:51
Looks nice! I wonder if they are made in the Philippines?Even though it says Pa.U.S.A.

Shihan
10-24-08, 18:56
What are you going to use the AR for? The standard trigger will work fine for most uses and is ighly reliable.

ralph
10-24-08, 19:23
Looks nice! I wonder if they are made in the Philippines?Even though it says Pa.U.S.A.

No,They're not, Michael Kassener (sp?) pres. of Charles Daly, has stated several times on this board, that these AR's are 100% made in the U.S.A. I seem to remember that Grant told me at his shop that the uppers and lowers are made by Doublestar, Barrels are Wilson,I'm sure Mr. Kassener could clear this up.

Charles Daly
10-25-08, 12:43

What would make you say something like this?

It would be a huge violation of several laws for us to do what you suggest. BATF, State Department, US Customs...

Our 1911's were made in the Philippines. But then, they say right on them, "Philippines".

murphy j
10-25-08, 13:02
Looks nice. I've been kinda eyeing these a bit as a possible lower for the piston upper I've got coming, but I'm kinda curious how they hold up over the long haul with hard use thrown in. I have read several nice things about them, but would like to hear what some end users, who've put them through their paces, have to say. As far as those 1911s go, I had one I picked up about 5-6yrs ago and with all the problems I had with it, I'm pretty sure I'll never own another CD 1911. UNLESS, they're 100% US Made, then I might give them another try.

Walkalong
10-25-08, 13:14
Deleted by me....Never mind.

I am very pleased with the lower though.

murphy j
10-25-08, 13:31
I had a CD 1911. Outside looked real nice. Internals were junk.

Mine was 'champion' size and I had a laundry list of problems. Slide was soft, barrel was soft, holes out of spec position wise OR wrong shape/size(mag catch had both these problems), machining on frame was slipshod in some places OR out of spec. I ended up shitcanning the slide and barrel and had the rails cut down to fit a Colt Officers slide w/Bar Sto barrel. Had to have a mag catch custom fit by hand(literally w/files by hand), the feed ramp cleaned up, ejector replaced and the mainspring housing replaced, because the factory one was such a poor fit due to bad machining on the frame. I ended up sinking into the gun 3 times what I paid for it, but it was definately a learning experience on 1911s. One plus on the frame was that the heat treat/hardness was out of this world. I was also lucky that my gunsmith was trained by Armand Swenson and 1911s are his speciality.

Buck
10-25-08, 14:00
Looks nice. I've been kinda eyeing these a bit as a possible lower for the piston upper I've got coming, but I'm kinda curious how they hold up over the long haul with hard use thrown in. I have read several nice things about them, but would like to hear what some end users, who've put them through their paces, have to say. As far as those 1911s go, I had one I picked up about 5-6yrs ago and with all the problems I had with it, I'm pretty sure I'll never own another CD 1911. UNLESS, they're 100% US Made, then I might give them another try.

CD makes an outstanding AR and the company has stood 100% behind its product...

I had a CD 1911. Outside looked real nice. Internals were junk.

Please stay on topic... However, CD is both an importer and a manufacturer… All of CD’s AR rifles are 100% US made and of very high quality…

Mine was 'champion' size and I had a laundry list of problems. Slide was soft, barrel was soft, holes out of spec position wise OR wrong shape/size(mag catch had both these problems), machining on frame was slipshod in some places OR out of spec. I ended up shitcanning the slide and barrel and had the rails cut down to fit a Colt Officers slide w/Bar Sto barrel. Had to have a mag catch custom fit by hand(literally w/files by hand), the feed ramp cleaned up, ejector replaced and the mainspring housing replaced, because the factory one was such a poor fit due to bad machining on the frame. I ended up sinking into the gun 3 times what I paid for it, but it was definately a learning experience on 1911s. One plus on the frame was that the heat treat/hardness was out of this world. I was also lucky that my gunsmith was trained by Armand Swenson and 1911s are his speciality.

If you have an issue with a 1911 imported by CD years ago, it does not belong in a thread about a rifle currently being manufactured by CD, even if they are the same company…

Warning to all…

STAY ON TOPIC>>>

Sage
10-25-08, 16:21
Walkalong; Congrats on your new CDD Lower. From the reports on their durability, I think you're going to like it all the more. :cool: