PDA

View Full Version : Magnum PI Reboot

gunrunner505
06-14-18, 11:24
So you take a cool show, social justice warrior it, and out comes this turd.

This is going to suck out loud.

https://youtu.be/ADAeeJclFIU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-14-18, 12:02
I started watching it and they wrecked some cars and had a lot of aeriel shots. It looked like a hot mess and I haven't given it another thought.

Doc Safari
06-14-18, 13:26
Wow. Before I even opened this thread I knew there would be complaints about SJW horseshit.

What happened to simple entertainment?

austinN4
06-14-18, 13:37
Wow. Before I even opened this thread I knew there would be complaints about SJW horseshit. What happened to simple entertainment?
They gotta brainwash the young viewers.

Nowski87
06-14-18, 14:10
So where is the SJW nonsense? I may be missing something.

Averageman
06-14-18, 15:01
I know it's all SJW, but dayum Higgins is a tranny?

MountainRaven
06-14-18, 15:37

You're probably missing fake news is all.

MegademiC
06-14-18, 16:51

Same.

I wached the preview, waited for the cringe. It never came. Looks like a cheesy but fun show.

gaijin
06-14-18, 17:12
Eff a reboot. How about original thought?

I understand “entertainment” is purely profit driven, but come on.
The elite LEFT had to detest the original and all it presented.

At any rate you’d have to dig deep to find another Tom Selleck.
I’m out.

sniperfrog
06-14-18, 17:48
As soon as I heard him say "Marine Corps chopper pilot" I knew it was shit.

Arik
06-14-18, 17:58
Eff a reboot. How about original thought?

I understand “entertainment” is purely profit driven, but come on.
The elite LEFT had to detest the original and all it presented.

At any rate you’d have to dig deep to find another Tom Selleck.
I’m out.

Ok so what am I missing? I've seen the original in reruns. Kinda cheesy but fun show

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

flenna
06-14-18, 20:11
We'll see. Tom Selleck was a man's man, not sure how the new guy will measure up.

Honu
06-14-18, 20:53
Give it a few episodes and the idiocy will start

Seems that is what happens these days

Looks way to over the top for me :)

Arik
06-14-18, 20:56
Give it a few episodes and the idiocy wil start

Seems that is what happens these days

Looks way to over the top for me :)That seems to be the norm. Gotta keep the modern viewer from getting bored.

Jellybean
06-14-18, 22:47
Lol, it's just a bullshit Hawaii 5-0 tie-in/spin-off. Seriously that's all I'm getting from that trailer. That and Super Mario 64 vibes... :laugh:

Aries144
06-15-18, 10:39
More SJW influenced BS. They really need to exodus to europe and be done with it. I'm sick of living in the fallout of their 60 year long attempted revolution.

Moose-Knuckle
06-15-18, 12:59
Tom Selleck was a man's man, not sure how the new guy will measure up.

I don't know what's worse, that they cast a Don Juan metro-sexual in the role as Magnum or that they cast a woman as Higgins.

SeriousStudent
06-15-18, 19:45
We'll see. Tom Selleck was a man's man, not sure how the new guy will measure up.

That's actually what I was thinking.

I believe a big part of the original show's success was related to how Selleck played the role. He was a man that women would swoon over, and guys would want to have a beer with.

Arik
06-15-18, 20:10
I don't know what's worse, that they cast a Don Juan metro-sexual in the role as Magnum or that they cast a woman as Higgins.They seem to be trying to make him into a James Bond like character

SteyrAUG
06-15-18, 22:27
I don't know what's worse, that they cast a Don Juan metro-sexual in the role as Magnum or that they cast a woman as Higgins.

Best part of the show was Higgin's, which if you paid attention was something of a bad ass in his prime, ironically presenting something of a "ghost of christmas future" for Magnum. Also the contrast of a British stiff upper lip with a anything goes American worked very well.

Moose-Knuckle
06-16-18, 07:02
They seem to be trying to make him into a James Bond like character

Tom Selleck played a PI in two episodes of Rockford Files by the name of Lance White that was styled after James Bond. It was this role that got him cast as Magnum, when the show's creators approached Tom Selleck about the part he turned it down. Citing that it would be a flop because the PI they were pitching was a suave sharply dressed James Bond type of character. He said if they would re-write the role as a blue collar type of guy it would be a hit with male audiences and that he would do it. The rest is history.

Best part of the show was Higgin's, which if you paid attention was something of a bad ass in his prime, ironically presenting something of a "ghost of christmas future" for Magnum. Also the contrast of a British stiff upper lip with a anything goes American worked very well.

"Oh my GOD!"

I couldn't agree more.

I always thought that John Hillerman was really British. He was that good, he also played his three half-brothers and his own father in the show. Very talented actor. Even though it was a comic relief mechanism Higgins stories were some of my favorite parts about the series. There is nothing he hadn't done or seen such a great character.

Campbell
06-16-18, 07:06

Exactly. Without Higgins and the “lads” mixing it up with magnum, I don’t think the show would have held me as a youth. Just the look on Higgins face kept me watching. I also appreciated that when things went sideways, they had each other’s back, regardless of the shape the Ferrari was in.

ramairthree
06-16-18, 09:26

Seeing as he is five and a half feet tall, and a defining feature and sometimes plot device involved Magnum’s well above average height, it is possible they miscast this.

austinN4
06-16-18, 09:38
Seeing as he is five and a half feet tall, and a defining feature and sometimes plot device involved Magnum’s well above average height, it is possible they miscast this.

Maybe they should call it Half Magnum?

Vgex2
06-16-18, 10:51
or Magnum S&W.

flenna
06-16-18, 13:17
or Magnum S&W.

S&W P.I. ; Special P.I. Nevermind.........

gunrunner505
06-17-18, 10:20
or Magnum S&W.

40 Short & Weak......

Vgex2
06-17-18, 10:46
That was the joke, yes. I guess I should have made it more explicit.

Averageman
06-17-18, 22:28
I don't see Magnum reruns, I don't know if they can be found anymore.
It's kind of a shame because that was a well thought out and scripted show for a weekly production.
The smarter way to have done this would have been to sell it to AMC and let them take it on with a bit more loyalty to the original and more money in its production.

ramairthree
06-18-18, 01:07
If only it was the 80s again and I was rich.
The crews of Magnum P.I., Simon and Simon, the fall guy, Riptide, A Team, and TJ Hooker would have starred in a massive budget extra length film ala the Longest Day where they repel a Red Dawn like invasion led by Adolph Lundgren.

Ned Christiansen
06-18-18, 07:07
You guys had it handed to you and you missed it!

If the guy is too short and Magnum P.I. is going to be too strong, it should be "Plus-P. I."

Really proud of that one.... :-)

The_War_Wagon
06-18-18, 10:50
I started watching it and...

I quit. 5 out of 5 sucks. :bad:

SeriousStudent
06-18-18, 18:49

If the guy is too short and Magnum P.I. is going to be too strong, it should be "Plus-P. I."

Ned wins the Internet for today, folks. Tune in tomorrow, when we'll have more Internet back in stock. :haha:

Moose-Knuckle
06-19-18, 00:29

There is a condom joke in there too somewheres . . .

daddyusmaximus
06-19-18, 01:55
It may be a decent show. It won't stack up to the original, but it may be worth watching to see if it's mildly entertaining. I do like the reboot of Hawaii 5-0, and S.W.A.T. isn't too bad. (although it has a lot of liberal crap in there at times)

Don't like the casting of a pretty boy as Magnum, or the chick as (TC would say) "Higgy baby". She's just not the retired old world traveled bad ass that the original Higgins was. On it's own, it may be a decent show (for the times), it's just gonna suck because the original show had such a great cast. No comparison.

Side note: I wonder who the mandatory gay couple will be?

Moose-Knuckle
06-19-18, 02:14
Side note: I wonder who the mandatory gay couple will be?

Lt. Tanka and Col. Buck Greene?
Agatha, Carol Baldwin (the DA) and the new female Higgins in a threeway?
Mac and Doc. Ibold?

I don't want to know. I won't be watching so...

MountainRaven
07-19-18, 17:21
Taran Tactical posted a video on their Facebook of Jade Struck (female competitive shooter and instructor working with Taran) running an STI gun that's apparently used in the series by the protagonist.

The video they posted included some shots of the protagonist using the pistol in the series and...

Yuck.

I never saw the original series, so I don't know if the over-the-top action coated in liberal CGI is true to the original series or not. But... :bad:

Moose-Knuckle
07-23-18, 14:30
Annnndddd this is what I was waiting for, if this was reversed we wouldn't be hearing the end of "Cultural Appropriation" exclamations.

'Magnum P.I.' cast on why rebooted series features mustache-less Mexican-American lead

When Magnum P.I. returns to CBS in September, the show — and its hero — will look a little different. In place of Tom Selleck, Magnum will now be played by Mexican-American actor Jay Hernandez. And that’s not all; his frequent foil Higgins — originally played by John Hillerman — is now portrayed by Perdita Weeks. “We’re certainly not denying the fact that [Magnum] is Mexican-American,” executive producer Eric Guggenheim tells Yahoo Entertainment. “It is something that is acknowledged in the series. But I think we’re very proud of the fact that we have a cast that, frankly, looks like America does.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/magnum-p-cast-rebooting-classic-series-features-mustache-less-mexican-american-lead-163443893.html

flenna
07-23-18, 21:18
Annnndddd this is what I was waiting for, if this was reversed we wouldn't be hearing the end of "Cultural Appropriation" exclamations.

'Magnum P.I.' cast on why rebooted series features mustache-less Mexican-American lead

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/magnum-p-cast-rebooting-classic-series-features-mustache-less-mexican-american-lead-163443893.html

Maybe he will be gay, too. That way they can check all the boxes.

ramairthree
07-24-18, 01:24
I don’t do much care that He is Hispanic, and I can get the update about losing the moustache.

But a huge part of his character was height.

They needed a six two or more Hispanic dude, not a five and a half foot tall guy.

Moose-Knuckle
07-24-18, 13:17
Yeah I don't know what Mexican-American is, I've heard of Hispanic-American / Latino-American but now I guess we are combining nationalities.

I've been to HI, you want to guess how many Mexican-Americans they have there?

If the producers of the show wanted to show "what America looks like" in HI and wanted to get rid of the White guy lead then why wouldn't have they gone with a Japanese-American or a Pacific Islander-American actor?

About height, Tom Selleck is 6'-4", the new guy is 5'-9".