PDA

View Full Version : GA Grandma choked out a bobcat that attacked her

Sam
06-15-18, 14:08
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/06/15/georgia-woman-strangles-kills-rabid-bobcat-after-it-attacks-her-it-came-for-my-face.html

http://www.wyff4.com/article/woman-strangles-rabid-bobcat-to-death-after-it-attacks-her-authorities-say/21528831

Doc Safari
06-15-18, 14:34
This is what you take away from the story:

Phillips responded, “I normally carry, but as fast as this cat moved, I would have never made it to the holster.

Remember: the attacker always has the advantage. When you carry situational awareness is at least as important as being armed. She should have brandished as soon as the cat appeared.

ZGXtreme
06-15-18, 14:50
As a teen I had to choke out a bobcat that had latched onto my fathers arm. That was a handful and I wasn’t even the one under attack.

Props to this granny for having the fight despite the pain!

SomeOtherGuy
06-15-18, 14:58
Remember: the attacker always has the advantage. When you carry situational awareness is at least as important as being armed. She should have brandished as soon as the cat appeared.

It sounds like she was attacked within a few seconds of the cat's appearance. Bobcats aren't all that big or common, so if I saw one I wouldn't automatically assume it was about to attack me. And there's a reason we have the expression "catlike reflexes."

Sounds like she's tough and lucky, other than the $10k rabies shots.

RetroRevolver77
06-15-18, 14:59

That's the problem, not all bobcats are criminals so how would she know for sure?

Doc Safari
06-15-18, 15:01
It sounds like she was attacked within a few seconds of the cat's appearance. Bobcats aren't all that big or common, so if I saw one I wouldn't automatically assume it was about to attack me. And there's a reason we have the expression "catlike reflexes."

Sounds like she's tough and lucky, other than the $10k rabies shots.

I've been in many, many situations like this (not rabid animals but potentially threatening ones). As soon as "strange predator-looking animal" appears: my hand is on my sidearm. Maybe she wasn't in the practice of doing that. I'll give her a pass on not having the same mindset as me because it's probably her first encounter with something like this. Not saying the cat wouldn't have gotten a few bites and scratches on me, too, but it would have done so while eating 9mm pills.

Leaveammoforme
06-15-18, 15:12
As a teen I had to choke out a bobcat that had latched onto my fathers arm. That was a handful and I wasn’t even the one under attack.

Lolz, I too have strangled a bobcat. Thought I joined some sort of exclusIve club that day but I guess it's not all that uncommon. Mine was making progress on getting away from me while my forearms began to burn. Dispatched the critter with a quick slice from the delica.

Bravo, granny, bravo.

SomeOtherGuy
06-15-18, 16:23
I've been in many, many situations like this (not rabid animals but potentially threatening ones). As soon as "strange predator-looking animal" appears: my hand is on my sidearm. Maybe she wasn't in the practice of doing that. I'll give her a pass on not having the same mindset as me because it's probably her first encounter with something like this. Not saying the cat wouldn't have gotten a few bites and scratches on me, too, but it would have done so while eating 9mm pills.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Bobcat_Lynx_rufus_distribution_map.png

See the midwestern donut hole with no bobcats? That's where I grew up and have lived 99% of my life. I had no idea bobcats were common elsewhere in the USA. I was more aware of the javelina, even though it lives even farther from here!

It also looks like these are fox/coyote sized, so without having had any experience around them, I would not have realized they were a significant threat to humans. Learn something new every day, especially with people posting on this thread that they have personally had to kill them after being attacked.

SteyrAUG
06-15-18, 16:24

She had a camera in her hands at the time and sounds like she got two seconds to transition from "Hey a Bobcat" to "fight." And it always helps when grandma is only 46 years old, I remember when grandmas were more like 64.

Doc Safari
06-15-18, 16:27
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Bobcat_Lynx_rufus_distribution_map.png

See the midwestern donut hole with no bobcats? That's where I grew up and have lived 99% of my life. I had no idea bobcats were common elsewhere in the USA. I was more aware of the javelina, even though it lives even farther from here!

It also looks like these are fox/coyote sized, so without having had any experience around them, I would not have realized they were a significant threat to humans. Learn something new every day, especially with people posting on this thread that they have personally had to kill them after being attacked.

Around here, bobcats have been known to wander well into suburban neighborhoods.

Doc Safari
06-15-18, 16:33
She had a camera in her hands at the time and sounds like she got two seconds to transition from "Hey a Bobcat" to "fight." And it always helps when grandma is only 46 years old, I remember when grandmas were more like 64.

Apparently she had time to take a picture of the bobcat.

when she saw the bobcat and snapped a picture of it.

"As soon as I took picture, it charged me and leaped for my face," she said

Lessee...that requires lifting the camera to your face, getting the bobcat centered in the viewfinder, holding steady, and pressing the "take picture" button. I'm guessing that takes a few seconds. She maybe could have used those seconds to unholster her weapon and stand at the ready?

Again, a person not practicing situational awareness might have thought, "Wow. A bobcat. I gotta get a picture of that." Someone who doesn't regularly run across potentially dangerous wild animals might not have immediately snapped to a defensive posture.

Put another way:

What if the attacker had been a person dressed in some sort of costume, but holding a knife. Would this grandma have thought, "Wow. Cute costume. I gotta get a picture of that"? No, she would have seen the knife first and at least put her hand on her weapon.

The fact that it was an animal (to my thinking) elicited a "cute kitty" response instead of "uh-oh, dangerous animal" response.

Coal Dragger
06-15-18, 16:39

I know for a fact that donut hole is not accurate. Missouri is full of Bobcats.

26 Inf
06-15-18, 17:15
Around here, bobcats have been known to wander well into suburban neighborhoods.

We have foxes, and raccoons all over our area. We live pretty much in the middle of town, adjacent to the fairly large campus of our community college. See the foxes and racoons regularly at night. We have outside cats and I feed them early in the day to lessen the probability of feeding the raccoon's. On occassion someone will tell me they've seen a bobcat. I've never seen one in town.

flenna
06-15-18, 17:33
Man I must be getting old. I read the headline "grandma chokes out bobcat" and I am thinking, you know, a sweet, ELDERLY grandma. Nope, "46 year old woman"...... Anyway, kudos to her for having the fortitude to take care of business.

Doc Safari
06-15-18, 17:37
I feel kinda bad about this.

I think it's because it's been kinda hot and humid outside and I've been a little stressed running back to the house for water all day.

I thought it would go away, but no, I keep hearing that song in my head.

"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."

Averageman
06-15-18, 18:55
Unless you've been up close to a Bobcat, it's difficult to imagine that much fight in something weighing 15-20 lbs.
46 or 65 any woman that's got the presence of mind and that much fight in her is a hell of a gal.
BTW, they don't taste bad, but they're a bit chewy. Bobcats, not Grandma's.

Arik
06-15-18, 18:57

Definitely props but not all grannies are "grannies".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
06-15-18, 20:35

Sometimes it's amazing the regional differences that never occur to you until something random like this. I've seen a bobcat once in my life, in the UP, at midnight-thirty (12:30am) on a remote highway through designated wilderness, 50+ miles from anything resembling a subdivision. But apparently they just roam around like deer and raccoons in other parts of the country (all of Michigan has deer and raccoons in abundance). Like I said, learn something new every day. (There is no attitude, this is meant literally.)

AKDoug
06-15-18, 20:43

When was that? Back in the day, women were having kids well before 20 all the time, especially in farm country.

Arik
06-15-18, 20:56
She had a camera in her hands at the time and sounds like she got two seconds to transition from "Hey a Bobcat" to "fight." And it always helps when grandma is only 46 years old, I remember when grandmas were more like 64.My parents go married when my mom was 19. At 21 I was born and my grandma was 44 at the time. My grandma married when she was in her early 20s and had my mom 9 months later. Her mother, my great grandma, was in her early 40s. My great grandma had 2 kids by the time she was in her early 20s

My cousin married and had kids when he was 22. Her oldest is 15 now and my aunt isn't 60 yet.

Marry early, have kids right away....was pretty common.

SteyrAUG
06-15-18, 22:28
Apparently she had time to take a picture of the bobcat.

Lessee...that requires lifting the camera to your face, getting the bobcat centered in the viewfinder, holding steady, and pressing the "take picture" button. I'm guessing that takes a few seconds. She maybe could have used those seconds to unholster her weapon and stand at the ready?

Again, a person not practicing situational awareness might have thought, "Wow. A bobcat. I gotta get a picture of that." Someone who doesn't regularly run across potentially dangerous wild animals might not have immediately snapped to a defensive posture.

Put another way:

What if the attacker had been a person dressed in some sort of costume, but holding a knife. Would this grandma have thought, "Wow. Cute costume. I gotta get a picture of that"? No, she would have seen the knife first and at least put her hand on her weapon.

The fact that it was an animal (to my thinking) elicited a "cute kitty" response instead of "uh-oh, dangerous animal" response.

I didn't read closely enough, apparently she underestimated her situation.

SteyrAUG
06-15-18, 22:29
I know for a fact that donut hole is not accurate. Missouri is full of Bobcats.

Iowa also has more than a few.

SteyrAUG
06-15-18, 22:33
When was that? Back in the day, women were having kids well before 20 all the time, especially in farm country.

I guess it really depends on how old the "grandkid(s)" is/are. If they are 2 years old no big deal, if they are in high school, well that's a bit different. Of course these days I've met grandmas in their early 30s, which I think is probably the source of my comment. I know a family with three generations of "15 and pregnant."

soulezoo
06-16-18, 00:08

GILF?

soulezoo
06-16-18, 00:10
I didn't read closely enough, apparently she underestimated her situation.
Absolutely. When you see an animal that is normally nocturnal during the day (skunk, raccoon...bobcat) one must assume that it is rabid.

Arik
06-16-18, 00:35
GILF?Ha! You know with some of these 40 something year old grandmas are only a few years older then me!

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-16-18, 00:57

Looks like the gang violence in Chicago is good for something.

Moose-Knuckle
06-16-18, 07:25
Lolz, I too have strangled a bobcat. Thought I joined some sort of exclusIve club that day but I guess it's not all that uncommon. Mine was making progress on getting away from me while my forearms began to burn. Dispatched the critter with a quick slice from the delica.

Bravo, granny, bravo.

But, but . . . the mayor of London towne says there is no reason to carry a knife ever. :jester:

Your story drives home why I have carried a blade on me ever since I was a youngling.

BTW, they don't taste bad, but they're a bit chewy. Bobcats, not Grandma's.

Tell that to this guy. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dauiSi2nKTI

austinN4
06-16-18, 08:02
No way am I going to watch that.

ABNAK
06-16-18, 08:06

Right. My one grandmother was 41 when I was born and the other one was 40. While we don't have any two-legged chilrunz, my wife is 47 and we could easily have grandchildren (that thought makes me feel old!).

Business_Casual
06-16-18, 10:30
I’d probably be doing a Homer Simpson spin on the ground as that thing chewed me.

https://youtu.be/FdCy6MGOVfw

Averageman
06-16-18, 15:19
Right. My one grandmother was 41 when I was born and the other one was 40. While we don't have any two-legged chilrunz, my wife is 47 and we could easily have grandchildren (that thought makes me feel old!).
I believe that my Grandmother was 18 when my Mother was born. My Mother was 21 when I was born.
I'm in my late 50's and that was pretty much the norm for those generations.
I waited until my mid thirties to have kids and only had one Son, if I have any regrets in life it might be not settling down sooner and having more kids.

26 Inf
06-16-18, 20:39
Wait, was it one of these:

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/6458633

WTF was BCG doing in her backyard?

titsonritz
06-17-18, 08:02
I turned 26 six days after my first baby was born, I was too young. She is 25, her brother is 20 months younger and I'm still not a grandpa. Good for them. My dad had been through a horrific war and had two pups before he was twenty, his old man was killed in WWII when he was a baby. Mom was younger.

I strangled a house cat to death once (long story) it was not easy. Grandma is a stud, I'd do her.

BangBang77
06-17-18, 10:10
I'm 41 and have 4 grandsons and as of last week, 1 granddaughter.

Go figure...

Leaveammoforme
06-17-18, 11:53
I'm 41 and have 4 grandsons and as of last week, 1 granddaughter.

Go figure...

I'll admit that I made the "..figures" face and chuckled after I read this and glanced over at your location.

Then I remembered the five generation pictures that were taken when my son was born....Had to take the picture twice. Both sides had five gens alive.

pinzgauer
06-17-18, 12:17
30yo grandma or younger might have some room to raise eyebrows.

But 40yo, not that unusual. Certainly not something I'd make fun of.

Then again, I'm in my late 50s and no grandkids in sight yet!

26 Inf
06-17-18, 13:49
30yo grandma or younger might have some room to raise eyebrows.

But 40yo, not that unusual. Certainly not something I'd make fun of.

Then again, I'm in my late 50s and no grandkids in sight yet!

I have 6 grandkids ranging from 9 to 20 (nearly 21). Grandkids are great - for numerous reasons.

Both of my son's have come to me at one time or another and said 'Dad, I'm sorry for all the shit I put you through' after discussing one of their kid's latest transgressions. I giggle.

Averageman
06-19-18, 11:16
I was remembering catching a bobcat in a trap when I was a young man.
I was thinking that if bobcats were the size of grizzly bears, bobcats would eat their lunch.