PDA

View Full Version : Glock 42 or 43??

gaigeboyd
06-17-18, 10:17
Next purchase will be a glock 43 or 42. I have never owned a 380 but is it worth getting invested into another caliber for just a slightly smaller package of should I just stick with the 9mm? I carry a glock 19 so this single stack would be for days where it's 100+ degrees and I want to wear loose shorts but the 19 is to heavy for that

CDR_Glock
06-17-18, 10:43
Next purchase will be a glock 43 or 42. I have never owned a 380 but is it worth getting invested into another caliber for just a slightly smaller package of should I just stick with the 9mm? I carry a glock 19 so this single stack would be for days where it's 100+ degrees and I want to wear loose shorts but the 19 is to heavy for that

Stick with 9 mm.

I acquired the Sig P365. Love it because of the capacity.

But...I carry a 19 or 17. I don’t wear shorts, though.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bad aim
06-17-18, 11:08
I got a 42 for carrying while in athletic wear in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster. It doesn't seem like much, but the difference in weight and profile was a factor for me when deciding between the two. Otherwise, I carry a full-size 9mm when I have proper-belted shorts/pants.

gaigeboyd
06-17-18, 11:40
Nice. Yeah sometimes it too hot for pants and belt so I wanna wear shorts but the 19 seems a bit heavy for it

SiGfever
06-17-18, 13:06
I have had a G43 for a while now, when I first got it I was surprised just how accurate this little pistol is. I put a Hogue Handall Jr on it and really like the way it handles, mine also runs Trijicon HD "Lime Green" night sights.

MegademiC
06-17-18, 13:23
I would stick with 9mm if at all possible. I can carry a shield in board shorts and gym shorts (with draw string), so id go with the 9mm glock.

Dump1567
06-17-18, 15:33
Hard to say. I'd try to go play with both and see what you like. I had a 42 for awhile. It was ammo finicky, but had very little recoil compared to other .380's I've shot. It really didn't seem much smaller than the 43 (which I have now and prefer). When I want to carry something smaller, it's the Ruger LCP.

gaigeboyd
06-17-18, 16:13
Most likely will go 43. And if I want something smaller (I don't like it but if I decided to pocket carry) figured I'd go S&W Bodyguard or LCP

Bogart
06-17-18, 17:08
If you already carry a 19 stick with the 43. You can use your same carry ammo and 9mm is cheaper than .380 and has better ballistics. I have a 43 for similar reasons you mentioned, and I too normally carry a 19. Both my 19 and 43 have a light, Apex trigger, Vickers mag release, and nearly identical sights. And use the same Gold Dot ammo.

FWIW, the couple of people I know that have 42s have NOT reported them to perform flawlessly... In my experience, and that of others that I know who have 43s, they’ve been good to go. YMMV.

WillBrink
06-17-18, 17:49

Friends don't let friends CCW .380 :ph34r:

Bogart
06-17-18, 18:19
Friends don't let friends CCW .380 :ph34r:

^^^

I should have been far less verbose and summed up my post with this.

Doc Safari
06-18-18, 10:04
My girlfriend's Glock 42 was one of the early ones that had to sent back to Glock to be "fixed". We fired it this weekend and it still can't get through two full magazines without a malfunction. In fact I think the pistol was trying to check off as many different types of malfunctions as it could: failure to feed, failure to extract, stovepipe, dropping the mag in the middle of firing.

I've never seen a Glock with that many issues.

WillBrink
06-18-18, 11:14
My girlfriend's Glock 42 was one of the early ones that had to sent back to Glock to be "fixed". We fired it this weekend and it still can't get through two full magazines without a malfunction. In fact I think the pistol was trying to check off as many different types of malfunctions as it could: failure to feed, failure to extract, stovepipe, dropping the mag in the middle of firing.

But but Glock perfection! :big_boss:

MegademiC
06-18-18, 11:29

Shooter error. Learn to grip it and not limp-wrist it and your problems will go away.

:jester:

Doc Safari
06-18-18, 11:31
Shooter error. Learn to grip it and not limp-wrist it and your problems will go away.

:jester:

LOL. I didn't even mention 'brass-to-face' because...well...Glock.

Mozart
06-18-18, 12:42
. . . stick with the 43. You can use your same carry ammo . . . .

Not necessarily. Some HP loads don’t expand enough from a shorter barrel. 147gr HST does fwiw

bad aim
06-18-18, 13:03
Not necessarily. Some HP loads don’t expand enough from a shorter barrel. 147gr HST does fwiw

Yep, such as Hornady's Critical Defense is designed for shorter barrel-length guns compared to their Critical Duty. Federal's Micro HST line is also optimized for shorter barrel lengths.

My initial G42 had some FTF for the first 50 rounds or so, but now I'm at ~500 rounds without a single malfunction. .380 isn't ideal, but it fills a niche.

MStarmer
06-18-18, 15:16
When only the 42 was available then I guess that was the choice. With the 43 readily available and ammo so much cheaper I don't know why anyone would consider the 42? My wife has a 43 and handles it just fine and shoots a perfect score at the indoor GSSF matches with ease. If considering a .380 I'd go LCP or something of that size.

Doc Safari
06-18-18, 15:22
When only the 42 was available then I guess that was the choice. With the 43 readily available and ammo so much cheaper I don't know why anyone would consider the 42? My wife has a 43 and handles it just fine and shoots a perfect score at the indoor GSSF matches with ease. If considering a .380 I'd go LCP or something of that size.

Really, I need to do some more research because....Kimber. But I looked at some Kimber Micro nines at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and I might go that route. I don't have up-to-date info on their reliability. I had a Kimber 1911 years ago that was okay but that was more than 10 years ago. I also hate that the mags are expensive, but I like the pistol's ergos, and it IS all metal.

titsonritz
06-18-18, 17:33
9mm NATO > 9mm Kurz

Dig my 43.

That is all.

butlers
06-18-18, 18:10
Next purchase will be a glock 43 or 42. I have never owned a 380 but is it worth getting invested into another caliber for just a slightly smaller package

For what it's worth, there is an appreciable size difference. Here are some comparison pictures (they are not mine; I downloaded them long ago from a Google Image search while doing CCW research):
https://i.imgur.com/laxvSBh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xbxyxWu.jpg

of should I just stick with the 9mm? I carry a glock 19 so this single stack would be for days where it's 100+ degrees and I want to wear loose shorts but the 19 is to heavy for that

It depends.

1. Money

Do you have the resources to commit to another caliber? Does your local gunstore stock up on this caliber and/or do you have access to high quality self-defense rounds in a separate caliber?

2. Time

Do you have the time to train with a separate platform?

3. Environment

What is your threat environment? You mention 100+ degree days -- so I would imagine that folks tend not to wear big/bulky clothes (penetration being a real distinguishing factor between the two calibers)? But it goes beyond weather -- do you live a risky lifestyle (e.g. carry around a lot of cash, hang out late at night where alcohol/rough characters are involved, etc)?

I think that unless deep concealment is an issue, the Glock 43 is small enough for even pocket carry (with a good holster).

As for the .380 ACP itself, as was once famously said: "Some experts will say it's barely adequate, and others will say it's barely inadequate." Ayoob, Massad. (2007) The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery. Krause Publications. Page 97. ISBN 0-89689-525-4.

CAVDOC
06-18-18, 21:06
I went with a 42 ( mine is very accurate and reliable)
But got it prior to the availability of things like the shield 365 and 43. Got lucky ( meaning mine was a prize gun from a shooting match so free except holsters and spare magazines.) The key is to go to a shop that has both wearing your preferred hot weather clothing and try both. I have been carrying for about 30 years and find especially with deep cover pocket guns in some cases the 1/4” here or there makes the difference between “this will work just fine” to no way. I pocket carried my 42 today in shorts in 100+ degree Phoenix. An even marginally bigger gun might have been a no go.
Remember rule one have a gun. Sure 9mm is significantly better from a ballistic standpoint, but only if you have it with you.

RHINOWSO
06-18-18, 22:55
I have both for hot weather / ultra discreet carry.

Honestly the G43 gave me more troubles, but I think it was the aftermarket mags I was using.

But they both work 100%, the G42 from jump and the G43 once I ditched those mags.

Far prefer a G19 but rule (1) have a loaded gun.

ETA - I have Vedder Pocket Locker and IWB holsters for both. I find the G43 un-pocketable, just like the PPS. Too big & too heavy. G42 works fine - not a small as an LCP but you can shoot it much faster and accurately.

WillBrink
06-19-18, 14:07
For what it's worth, there is an appreciable size difference. Here are some comparison pictures (they are not mine; I downloaded them long ago from a Google Image search while doing CCW research):

From those pics, the differences in size are actually less than I expected. Not appreciable enough to warrant the .380 when one can have, and should, have 9mm in terms of terminal performance. No doubt modern .380 JHP has improved in terminal ballistics but not to the point, but have not seen recent testing data that would justify its use as anything but the "better than nothing" Cooper Rule" category, though it sounds like some loads are getting close.

Doc Safari
06-19-18, 14:09
From those pics, the differences in size are actually less than I expected. Not appreciable enough to warrant the .380 when one can have, and should, have 9mm in terms of terminal performance. No doubt modern .380 JHP has improved in terminal ballistics but not to the point, but have not seen recent testing data that would justify its use as anything but the "better than nothing" category, though it sounds like some loads are getting close.

I've held one in each hand, and you're right: there's not that much difference. That is, until you talk about having one or the other under a light shirt in the summer, then the difference becomes more of an issue.

WillBrink
06-19-18, 14:17
I've held one in each hand, and you're right: there's not that much difference. That is, until you talk about having one or the other under a light shirt in the summer, then the difference becomes more of an issue.

It's hard for me to picture an occasion where I could not adequately conceal a Shield, unless people are wearing a baggy T, cargo shorts, and flip flops that differ that much from mine in the hot FL summer. I'm also one of those people who feels you could wear a LAW down your pants and people will not notice (cuz it's true...) and have no issues using other means, like fanny packs, bags, etc. I CCWd a full sized 1911 in all weather for a decade + and always found a way to conceal it in relative comfort. If i was going to CCW .380, probably still opt for FMJ.

glockdude215
06-21-18, 07:51
Why go .380 when you can have 9mm in an almost identically sized package? I vote 43 and I carry one with taran tactical +1 baseplate.

gaigeboyd
06-26-18, 14:24
Got the 43 last Friday. Bought an emo +2 but feel like it's too big, maybe good as a spare but not to conceal

Nowski87
06-26-18, 14:41
I bought a 42 this past Saturday and I love it. I wanted something that I can throw in my pocket and this sat slightly better than the 43. Also when it’s 100+ degrees out with 90% humidity it easily carries in a pair of cargo or board shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBrink
06-26-18, 14:41
Got the 43 last Friday. Bought an emo +2 but feel like it's too big, maybe good as a spare but not to conceal

You seriously don't feel you can conceal the 43?! :blink:

gaigeboyd
06-26-18, 14:44
Not with that extension. Going to try the Pearce +1

Bogart
06-26-18, 15:11
Not with that extension. Going to try the Pearce +1

When I carry my 43 (+TLR6) I carry it with the factory 6 round mag with the OEM pinky rest, and then I carry a factory mag with the Taran +3 as my reload. I carry the pistol AIWB in a Vedder Light Tuck, and the spare mag in a Bravo Concealment OWB mag holder about 9:00. Both conceal quite easily with just a t-shirt. YMMV

voiceofreason
07-11-18, 17:51
I don't own either, but have briefly shot both. If you can conceal a 19, great.

If not, consider a .380 for deeper concealment, more options. There is a noticeable difference in size between the two IMO.

I'd consider a smaller pistol as well.