PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, what would you rather be doing?

elephant
06-17-18, 17:10
Me? Living in and around the Florida Keys. Small comfortable conch house on a canal. Medium sized boat, 70'-85'. Cruising from the Keys to Nassau, Exuma, St. Thomas, St. Barth's, Turks & Caicos doing some island bike riding, wreck/reef diving, island cooking, photography, hiking etc. Spend 6-8 months a year traveling through the Caribbean living on a boat.

What about you? What would you rather be doing?

Circle_10
06-17-18, 17:22
I hate my job so being rich enough to never have to work again for starters, the rest I can figure out as I go.

So basically my answer is "whatever I feel like, all the time."

AKDoug
06-17-18, 18:12
I love my job. Today I am working with two of my kids and one daughter-in-law. Youngest daughter is stocking shelves and running a register. D-I-L is running another register. My son got his CDL learners permit last week and today we are doing equipment deliveries for heavy equipment we rent out. I am at peace and I like my place in the world.

I guess, if I had to fantasize, I'd head down to Chile and go snowmobiling for the southern hemisphere winter, then back to Alaska for norther hemisphere winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR9jYoQcvyA

GH41
06-17-18, 18:52
Me? Living in and around the Florida Keys. Small comfortable conch house on a canal. Medium sized boat, 70'-85'. Cruising from the Keys to Nassau, Exuma, St. Thomas, St. Barth's, Turks & Caicos doing some island bike riding, wreck/reef diving, island cooking, photography, hiking etc. Spend 6-8 months a year traveling through the Caribbean living on a boat.

You fail to put a budget number on you fun scenario. I could live happily on a boat for 100K a year but you can't maintain your 75'-85' boat for that! Why do you always do it? The plane and the second plane... Get real man... Who gives a shit how much $$$ you have at your disposal! This site is about sharing our M4 knowledge not how much disposable income you have.

Honu
06-17-18, 19:12
I kinda did my what would I do until I was in my late 40s :) diving around the world and teaching scuba working on boats doing photography :)

working a bit more in a good place for my kids sake (but I do not like ? wife is OK with it though)

I love living in the Caribbean but not the place I want my kids raised and dating :) so at this point think I am doing right for my kids not me :)

Pappabear
06-17-18, 19:28
Got a good job, maybe great. Would like a greater job.
Gotta great wife , Ill stop there.
I would love a house in the mountains in AZ. Thats it, shooting in the mountains vs 100,000 degree heat in desert today.

PB

Alex V
06-17-18, 19:46
Don't necessarily love my job but I love being an Architect. If I had FU money, I would have a house in the mountains, away from everyone else on a huge plot of land. Totally off the grid but with all the luxuries of a modern home. Live in piece with my wife. Entertaining friends and family who come to visit. If I want some excitement I would take a trip to NYC, otherwise, relax and enjoy every day. Wait for the zombies to come.

Skyyr
06-17-18, 20:13
Move to Eastern Europe, preferably Ukraine. Overall, the area is a crap-hole, but I've found it's got a genuineness of culture and people that much of the Western world doesn't offer. Plus, it's cheap. Ski/snowboard during the winter, travel during the summer.

26 Inf
06-17-18, 20:29
I have a lot of things that I'd like to do, the problem is time.

My wife just took an early retirement and we plan on doing some catching up - our last two are just leaving the nest and we've spent most of the last 15 years doing sports activities with them and the grand kids from my older sons, year-round.

I like riding trains, so we are going to do that.

Next year a couple of us are talking about riding the Continental Divide - I'm struggling with whether I need to get rid of my workhorse KLR650 and get a KLX250 for the trip.

I have the Great Loop penciled in after that, if I can convince my wife I don't need an 'All Oceans, All Tonnage, Masters License.'

In between we plan to do more stuff through our church and community organizations.

I've had fun at work all of my life. Was lucky enough to be able to walk away when it got to not being fun.

At this point the biggest problem I face is what to do with the dog during some of these jaunts.

Life is good.

Adrenaline_6
06-17-18, 21:06
I wouldn't mind being able to, one by one, visit and take a 3 day riding course at every race course ran by MotoGP and World SBK in the world. That would be pretty glorious.

Alex V
06-17-18, 21:30
Move to Eastern Europe, preferably Ukraine. Overall, the area is a crap-hole, but I've found it's got a genuineness of culture and people that much of the Western world doesn't offer. Plus, it's cheap. Ski/snowboard during the winter, travel during the summer.

Whaaaaaaa? I was born in Ukraine and I don't want to go back.

elephant
06-17-18, 21:32
You fail to put a budget number on you fun scenario. I could live happily on a boat for 100K a year but you can't maintain your 75'-85' boat for that! Why do you always do it? The plane and the second plane... Get real man... Who gives a shit how much $$$ you have at your disposal! This site is about sharing our M4 knowledge not how much disposable income you have.

I never said anything about money. And this is "General Discussion". I was just asking a hypothetical question. I didn't mention anything about airplanes. I was just saying that what I would rather be doing was living in the keys and own a boat. That doesn't mean I'm going to do it or have the money to do it. But that is what I would rather be doing. This is suppose to be fun, I wanted to see what people would say.

RetroRevolver77
06-17-18, 21:34
I'd like to own some land maybe someday, maybe also take a vacation as I haven't done so in a decade.

Skyyr
06-17-18, 21:50
Whaaaaaaa? I was born in Ukraine and I don't want to go back.

привіт))

I've been traveling there for a long time. I lived there two months last year and have had close ties to the country for the last 17 years. I absolutely love it. I literally have not felt more at home than when I'm there.

There's a deepness of culture, lots of history, and people are simply more genuine (both for better and for worse), at least that's my experience. Peter Santenello summed it up best - I've been trying for years to explain my feelings about the country, then I saw his video. Here's a clip of his thoughts (sorry, it's a FB video): https://www.facebook.com/chastime/videos/1660484570652920/

I won't siderail the discussion, but if you'd like to talk via PM, I always enjoy discussions about Ukraine.

Averageman
06-17-18, 22:17
I've recently "retired".
My 401k is open to penalty free withdrawals now.
I've lost fifty five pounds since February and my BP has gone from 170/110 to 117/79.
I may take a no stress job sometime later, but right now, I workout, work in the yard, shoot once a week, read and do projects.
I'm digging it.

elephant
06-17-18, 23:54
have anyone of you wanted to sail the Mediterranean? Hot Air Balloon over the Swiss Alps? River Boat down the Nile? Dive the Great Barrier Reef? Ride in the Baja 1000? Take a blimp over Europe? Race in the Bullrun/Gumball Rally? Explore the Amazon? I really wanted to know if there was something really special that you really would rather be doing. Just you, even for just a week.

ramairthree
06-18-18, 01:02
If I won the lottery I would have a huge log cabin compound, barn, garage, etc. on hundreds of acres adjoining a massive national forest. My own track, collection of muscle cars, indoor and outdoor ranges, massive indoor lap sized pool in a huge greenhouse full of exotic birds, wild cats, rock walls, waterfall, etc., a large fenced in mini zoo with a pack of wolves, probably 20 acres or so of pastures cleared around the house, with the rest wooded trails.

And I would take a year or so while that was being built, start in Laredo on an ancient BMW GS Paris Dakar and end up in Argentina.

RetroRevolver77
06-18-18, 01:24
If I won the lottery I would have a huge log cabin compound, barn, garage, etc. on hundreds of acres adjoining a massive national forest. My own track, collection of muscle cars, indoor and outdoor ranges, massive indoor lap sized pool in a huge greenhouse full of exotic birds, wild cats, rock walls, waterfall, etc., a large fenced in mini zoo with a pack of wolves, probably 20 acres or so of pastures cleared around the house, with the rest wooded trails.

And I would take a year or so while that was being built, start in Laredo on an ancient BMW GS Paris Dakar and end up in Argentina.

need to move to Alaska.

26 Inf
06-18-18, 01:27
have anyone of you wanted to sail the Mediterranean? Hot Air Balloon over the Swiss Alps? River Boat down the Nile? Dive the Great Barrier Reef? Ride in the Baja 1000? Take a blimp over Europe? Race in the Bullrun/Gumball Rally? Explore the Amazon? I really wanted to know if there was something really special that you really would rather be doing. Just you, even for just a week.

Is time travel out? I have a week I'd like to do over, LOL.

Daughter got home from her date a while ago, going to hit the sack.

Watrdawg
06-18-18, 07:07
Since we are talking hypothetically I'd like to have about a 1000 acres of good hunting land/pasture preferably along a river to build food plots, trails to my stands, a duck impound and take about 100 acres to develop as a training area for my labs. this would be pretty much year round work to maintain like I'd want. Maybe I'll get lucky and hit the lottery one day.

Alex V
06-18-18, 09:35
привіт))

I've been traveling there for a long time. I lived there two months last year and have had close ties to the country for the last 17 years. I absolutely love it. I literally have not felt more at home than when I'm there.

There's a deepness of culture, lots of history, and people are simply more genuine (both for better and for worse), at least that's my experience. Peter Santenello summed it up best - I've been trying for years to explain my feelings about the country, then I saw his video. Here's a clip of his thoughts (sorry, it's a FB video): https://www.facebook.com/chastime/videos/1660484570652920/

I won't siderail the discussion, but if you'd like to talk via PM, I always enjoy discussions about Ukraine.

I prefer my food not radioactive ;) lol

I would like to go back and explore Kiev. Visit my grandfather's grave. See the city I was born in as an adult. Want to take a trip to Pripyat and Chernobyl NPP because of the tremendous impact April 1986 had on my life. Not sure I would ever want to spend a significant amount of time there. Then again, Jean Claude Van Damme lives in Kiev, so it can't be that bad.

Didn't realize the rules of the game. I always wanted to climb Everest. I would take a year or two to prepare, learn how to climb, climb smaller peaks to work my way up (pun intended).

I would also love to follow Formula 1 around the world. Go to every race. Check out the county for a week, see the race, move to the next country.

Doc Safari
06-18-18, 09:38
I want to find a hidden cache of Spanish gold buried in the 1600's, and I want to slowly cash it in over time so as not to raise suspicion that I found a lost treasure trove. I plan to tell buyers, "It's been in my family for generations. I was sworn to secrecy even from childhood."

Then I will retire to a gigantic estate in the middle of nowhere with a full staff of caretakers. I will be far enough away from people that I don't even hear a neighbor's dog bark, a motorcycle passing by, or a stereo blasting hip-hop ever again.

I'm easy to please.

Jer
06-18-18, 10:49
There's some pretty adventurous dreams going on here. From land ownership all the way to home ownership, sounds like we've covered everything imaginable. Who says Republicans aren't exciting! ROFL

In all seriousness I'm a foodie so if money weren't an object I'd travel via any means necessary to get to far-off places and sample foods from all over the world. I love the heritage and culture you can derive from simply eating with locals in their fashion, whatever that may be. I think some of the people that travel the world to explore exotic foods may have some of the best jobs in the world.

That being said, I believe there's an opening!

(Too soon?)

FlyAndFight
06-18-18, 10:51

My "what if - dream" is very similar to yours. I would love to be able to purchase a 50+ foot catamaran and sail the world with the family. Start off sailing throughout the Mediterranean then head over to the Canary Islands and cross the Atlantic, into the Caribbean. Spend some time island hopping then cross through the Panama Canal and head across the Pacific to the Polynesian islands.

Time and money would need to be unlimited, though...

Travelingchild
06-19-18, 07:59
I would love to be able to purchase a 50+ foot catamaran
This ^ But Roberson and Cain 45 footer, Based in the Keys doing Hurricane construction relief then sailing the Caribbean , Puerta Rico, US Virgin Islands, St Marteen Doing the same..
This Would be in winter, In the summer Jackson Hole wy, where I currently live
When I'm not on it Air b&b it out...

Now I just have to have a Stupid impulse moment and be dumb enough to buy the boat..:p

26 Inf
06-19-18, 13:57
This ^ But Roberson and Cain 45 footer.......
Now I just have to have a Stupid impulse moment and be dumb enough to buy the boat..:p

If this is too rich, I have a 14 foot Hobie Cat I would almost give you:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2007/Robertson-%26-Caine-Leopard-46-3133832/St.-Thomas/Virgin-Islands-%28US%29?refSource=browse%20listing#.WylRbIonaUk

Travelingchild
06-19-18, 14:12
Something like that but,,,
I've actually looked at that one.

So far I've managed to avoid any Stupid Impulse Moments...

Honu
06-19-18, 17:44
me on the right
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52493&d=1423253645
a good portion of my life this was it or behind the helm or under the water etc..
loved it so kinda lived my dream when I was young and more able to do fun stupid things :)

I did get to do a dream dive on the USS Arizona something you cant even pay to do :)

I love cats over mono hulls any day so so much more fun
mostly worked on boats in the 55-65 foot range so I got paid to sail 5-6 days a week :)

would like to just live on a cat I would take one in the 60-70 foot range I reckon

if I had a dream it would be to go flying on a world cup yacht in the South Pacific somewhere :) that would be awesome fun

FlyAndFight
06-19-18, 18:07
Very cool, Honu!

I've looked at quite a number of cats and the "Xquisite X5" has won me over.

https://xquisiteyachts.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwds-86phtI&t=1s (Great walk-through)

Travelingchild
06-19-18, 18:16
Nice, I like the rainwater collection system, I wonder was it started by former employees of
http://www.robertsonandcaine.com
Be caused they're both based out of South Africa

SeriousStudent
06-19-18, 19:13
I am a simple man, with simple needs.

Every year they do the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. Somebody has to use a teeny little paintbrush to flick the sand off those poor girls on the beach.

I'm that guy.

Honu
06-19-18, 19:48
Very cool, Honu!

I've looked at quite a number of cats and the "Xquisite X5" has won me over.

https://xquisiteyachts.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwds-86phtI&t=1s (Great walk-through)

pretty freaking nice :)

our boats were nice for charter boats and we sailed em hard and fast :) so very true of what he said in the vid about air con or ice maker etc...

our galley was pretty basic :) ahhahahahaha

that would be so fun to live and sail on that :) met a few families in my times in various parts of the world working on water that did :) takes quite a bit to do it as far as giving up to get which is a balance we all work with

interesting with all the lines coming into the helm and how they go under the one cabin for sure would help hearing what he said about single person would be a nice family rig for sure
fun to hear compressor on board :)
need to have a spare 1.2 mil I can afford to loose if she goes down :) or afford the insurance hahahahahah

a few folks I met in world travels that are hardcore and love steel boats (monohull) since anyone anywhere can weld enough to patch
but the other side since most cats are composite or older ones wood is the speed stability and low draft comfort and the list goes on and they end up swear by cats once they actually traveled/lived on them
having worked on both (and a Tri) and been around them a lot I only want a cat :)

MistWolf
06-19-18, 20:02

Put on this scale, I want to spend a year exploring the Australian Outback in a Rover, hunt Africa for the Big Five with my Marlin LTD 45-70 and get the Grand Slam hunting Mountain Sheep with my .280 Remington Mountain Rifle. I would ride the Colorado River from where ever it starts, through the Grand Canyon and follow it until it peters out. I would plan a trip around the US, exploring all the 4x4 trials in my Jeep. I would build a replica of the DeHaviland Mosquito and race it at Reno. I would pay John for a flight in his restored DeHaviland Vampire. I would go to Iceland and go on a 4x4 expedition driving across the Arctic ice cap. I would get one of those submarine yachts and explore the Great Barrier Reef. I would take my family to Chile and have my son show us where he served his two year mission for the church. I would hunt doves in Argentina. I would buy a few B.A.R.s and a huge pile of tracer ammo and, on my father's birthday, hold a memorial shooting event with my family. Of course, we'll all be bringing our Garands and 1911s as well. I would hunt Alaska. I would hunt Alaska many times.

I would go to a Dodger game in every stadium they play in for a season. I would collect the life stories on video of some very interesting people I know. I would fly P-51 Mustang over the polar ice cap and drop a letter over the North Pole for the kids. I would hunt someplace that could only be reached on horseback. I would motorcycle across Europe with my wife. I would fly a dirigible or a PBY Catalina around the world. I would book a flight with Space X. I would make an adventure packed movie with cool firearms, steely-eyed heroes working for a secret organisation like O.A.S.E.S., a guy in an eye patch bent on world domination and amazing tech toys, shot on exotic and beautiful places around the world. Then I'd write a book about my life as an adventurer to pay for it all.

I would be freakin' exhausted!

Jer
06-19-18, 20:34
Put on this scale, I want to spend a year exploring the Australian Outback in a Rover, hunt Africa for the Big Five with my Marlin LTD 45-70 and get the Grand Slam hunting Mountain Sheep with my .280 Remington Mountain Rifle. I would ride the Colorado River from where ever it starts, through the Grand Canyon and follow it until it peters out. I would plan a trip around the US, exploring all the 4x4 trials in my Jeep. I would build a replica of the DeHaviland Mosquito and race it at Reno. I would pay John for a flight in his restored DeHaviland Vampire. I would go to Iceland and go on a 4x4 expedition driving across the Arctic ice cap. I would get one of those submarine yachts and explore the Great Barrier Reef. I would take my family to Chile and have my son show us where he served his two year mission for the church. I would hunt doves in Argentina. I would buy a few B.A.R.s and a huge pile of tracer ammo and, on my father's birthday, hold a memorial shooting event with my family. Of course, we'll all be bringing our Garands and 1911s as well. I would hunt Alaska. I would hunt Alaska many times.

I would go to a Dodger game in every stadium they play in for a season. I would collect the life stories on video of some very interesting people I know. I would fly P-51 Mustang over the polar ice cap and drop a letter over the North Pole for the kids. I would hunt someplace that could only be reached on horseback. I would motorcycle across Europe with my wife. I would fly a dirigible or a PBY Catalina around the world. I would book a flight with Space X. I would make an adventure packed movie with cool firearms, steely-eyed heroes working for a secret organisation like O.A.S.E.S., a guy in an eye patch bent on world domination and amazing tech toys, shot on exotic and beautiful places around the world. Then I'd write a book about my life as an adventurer to pay for it all.

I would be freakin' exhausted!

Sounds like a solid week friend!

SteyrAUG
06-19-18, 23:56

I'm already doing it and "it" is never doing the hurricane drill again.

The_War_Wagon
06-20-18, 08:47
Counting the largest Powerball winnings in history, waiting for my trust paperwork to go through, while browsing Class III sales sites on the interwebz. :jester:

Pi3
06-28-18, 11:21
Explore the west in an ultralight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBvaajG4lh4

Open a combined shooting range and recycling center.

Follow the Mediterranean coast line from Spain to Greece, including the islands.

nimdabew
06-28-18, 11:38
I am going to build airplanes. My first one is probably going to be a RV7a and then a Rans S-21 after that. That should keep.me busy for at least ten years in my spare time.

Ron3
06-28-18, 12:36
In a world full of consequences, laws, and VD?

I'm not sure. Still looking for ideas I guess.

A giant, private range would be nice. Lots of open tracking and amature door to door racing would be great.

Not having to work is tops or course.

duece71
06-29-18, 18:05
I love my job but I love my kids more......I would rather spend more time with them.....traveling, doing adventure type stuff whether it be sailing a boat in the Caribbean or hiking in the western US or on the AT. My kids are young so I would rather have the time with them now. However, with bills to pay and mouths to feed and nothing in this world is free...Hiho, hiho.....

JusticeM4
06-30-18, 14:28
I'd rather be living in a nice lake-front or mountain home somewhere in TN or NC. With a boat and access to many trails and outdoor activities.

Living in a beach-front home is nice too, but I've lived in FL (here a beach is always 1hr or less away )for more than 20yrs so I'm already spoiled with that.

But instead I'm stuck working in a large metropolitan area, for now...