PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "best" A5 receiver extension?

556Cliff
06-20-18, 10:43
I know this has come up before, but I have never seen it answered really definitively and I have read through all the A5 threads.

Excluding the A5 compatible Magpul UBR Gen 2 and the Vltor 6 position A5 receiver extension, which A5 receiver extension is the best?

Price and availability isn't an issue for me.

Is there someone here that has had them all and can share their experience?

26 Inf
06-20-18, 10:53
BCM also has one.

I think any one of the three would be solid - I have 2 of the BCM variants with another inbound as we speak. (ETA: they work fine - love them)

I would say that given 'price and availability isn't an issue' I'd probably go with the Vltor - for no other reason than their reputation and the fact they had the idea and designed the chopped rifle buffer which is the A5.

opngrnd
06-20-18, 10:58
Other than a UBR 2.0, I did the original Vltor each time, usually on sale at a good discount.

RobertTheTexan
06-20-18, 11:19
I’ve used many A5 RE tubes. The two brands I use that have the best fit and finish hands down are Vltor and Magpul. The Magpul SR25/M110. RE Tube is a 10 position A5 tube. I actually run more of those than 7 position Vltor’s and they Are rarely out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfpack45
06-20-18, 11:42
Out of the VLTOR and the BCM, I prefer the BCM. Better fit to stocks and I think the anodizing looks better. I don't have any experience with the others.

Biggy
06-20-18, 12:02
I prefer the VLTOR RE fit and finish. The best or not, who knows, they work fine for me.

uniform64
06-20-18, 12:28
I asked LMT and the guy never heard of the A5. But am I right to assume that the LMT .308 RE is the same length as the A5? Thanks

Pappabear
06-20-18, 12:41
I have run Vltor and BCM, both were great.

PB

Pappabear
06-20-18, 12:58
I asked LMT and the guy never heard of the A5. But am I right to assume that the LMT .308 RE is the same length as the A5? Thanks

I don't think so, but I may be wrong. I have run in the MWS circles and never heard anyone run an A5 system.

PB

556Cliff
06-20-18, 13:47
Thanks for the input so far guys.

It sounds like there might not be much of a quality difference between any of them. It might come down to how many positions I prefer (7, 8 or 10).

Which one has the smoothest internal finish? Vltor, Bravo Company or Magpul?

Wake27
06-20-18, 14:41
I didn't notice any difference at all between VLTOR and BCM, aside from number of stock positions (I think the BCM has one more?).

GH41
06-20-18, 15:59
I have used Vltor and BCM. Both are GTG. Never tried MagPul. Their expertise lies in IMP and MIM.

06-20-18, 19:19
I’ve been using VLTOR since 2010 or ‘11 and they’ve all been good. Magpul and LMT stocks fit snug every time.

Hammer_Man
06-20-18, 23:15
I have used multiple Vltor extensions on multiple builds, and find their fit and finish superior to BCM.

alx01
06-21-18, 01:12
I have used both brand new (non-blem) BCM and VLTOR. No quantifiable reason, but I prefer BCM - I think it's a little bit nicer than VLTOR cosmetically. Plus BCM has 8 positions which is also a minor plus IMHO.
VLTOR blem unit can be bought a bit cheaper than BCM: https://www.vltor.com/shop/specials-and-sales/vn-re-a5-a5-receiver-extension/

Iraqgunz
06-21-18, 02:45
I have all three and used all three. Haines, Perry Ellis or Fruit of the Loom?

titsonritz
06-21-18, 16:57
I've used Vltor and BCM, nothing negative with either. I'm just glad we have three quality choices now and can usually find at least one of them somewhere.

RHINOWSO
06-21-18, 19:50
I have two BCMs, since I was ordering stuff from them anyway and the VLTOR A5 RE was OOS at the time.

I do have a regular carbine RE from VLTOR and it’s finish could be slightly better then the BCMs, but functionally I don’t think it matters.

Pick what you like.

556Cliff
10-03-18, 22:53
Just a quick update, since I have all three of these A5 receiver extensions now.

In a ranking of best to worst.

#1 = Vltor

#2 = BCM

#3 = Magpul

This is only a ranking based on their finished appearance, as they all should work equally as well.

The Vltor and BCM receiver extensions are almost equally as nice in their external finish, with the slight edge going to Vltor. Internally Vltor wins as it's interior finish is mirror smooth, the BCM is a little rough with visible swirls/machine marks. The Magpul receiver extensions are rough looking externally with almost a cracking look to their surface texture, and they are just a tad worse looking internally than the BCM receiver extension.

The Vltor receiver extensions are basically almost equal to the internal smoothness seen in the old stock Colt rifle receiver extensions available at Specialized Armament.

RobertTheTexan
10-03-18, 23:08
Just a quick update, since I have all three of these A5 receiver extensions now.

In a ranking of best to worst.

#1 = Vltor

#2 = BCM

#3 = Magpul

This is only a ranking based on their finished appearance, as they all should work equally as well.

The Vltor and BCM receiver extensions are almost equally as nice in their external finish, with the slight edge going to Vltor. Internally Vltor wins as it's interior finish is mirror smooth, the BCM is a little rough with visible swirls/machine marks. The Magpul receiver extensions are rough looking externally with almost a cracking look to their surface texture, and they are just a tad worse looking internally than the BCM receiver extension.

The Vltor receiver extensions are basically almost equal to the internal smoothness seen in the old stock Colt rifle receiver extensions available at Specialized Armament.

In my experience I’ve not experienced any finish issues with Magpul. I don’t know exactly how many Magpul RE tubes I’ve used but the total number across all A5’s is 20+. I’d say the finish was better than the 3-4 BCM’s I’ve used. The fact mine get marred, scratched, some painted means that it really doesn’t matter aesthetically. That’s the only differences I’ve seen.

556Cliff
10-03-18, 23:16
In my experience I’ve not experienced any finish issues with Magpul. I don’t know exactly how many Magpul RE tubes I’ve used but the total number across all A5’s is 20+. I’d say the finish was better than the 3-4 BCM’s I’ve used. The fact mine get marred, scratched, some painted means that it really doesn’t matter aesthetically. That’s the only differences I’ve seen.

My sample size is much smaller, I only have 1 from Vltor, 1 from BCM and 2 from Magpul.

Externally I don't think the finish really matters, internally it probably doesn't matter much either as long as it's not sandpaper rough.

NYH1
10-04-18, 00:35
I just switched one of my carbines to a BCM A5 RE. Nice piece, only A5 RE I've ever used.

NYH1.

556BlackRifle
10-04-18, 00:45
I have four or five Vltor A5 seven position RE's and they've been great for me.

Bravo Sierra
10-04-18, 16:08
What is an A5 stock for? I keep seeing them mentioned but i dont know what they do differently.

titsonritz
10-04-18, 16:47
What is an A5 stock for? I keep seeing them mentioned but i dont know what they do differently.

It is not a stock, it is a buffer system consisting a receiver extension 3/4" longer than a standard carbine tube, a proprietary buffer by Vltor and rifle length action spring. There are multiple threads on the subject, the search button is your friend.

Start here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?207340-Buffer-question&p=2632292#post2632292

RobertTheTexan
10-04-18, 16:52

The A5 buffer system is magick. Pure unadulterated magick.

That’s all you need to know.

Bravo Sierra
10-05-18, 19:05
It is not a stock, it is a buffer system consisting a receiver extension 3/4" longer than a standard carbine tube, a proprietary buffer by Vltor and rifle length action spring. There are multiple threads on the subject, the search button is your friend.

Start here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?207340-Buffer-question&p=2632292#post2632292

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"
Guess that search button isnt so friendly.

titsonritz
10-05-18, 23:15
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"
Guess that search button isnt so friendly.

Try the link I post, there are other links on the subject there.

As far as the search feature goes I've found the M4C version to be superior to others I've seen... 1)Once you know how use it 2)Know what your looking for

Sparky5019
10-15-18, 08:24
I’m currently using a BCM and a Magpul. Both are excellent. I like that the Magpul has 10 position options but too many choices can also be a bad thing. Lol

556Cliff
10-15-18, 15:02
I’m currently using a BCM and a Magpul. Both are excellent. I like that the Magpul has 10 position options but too many choices can also be a bad thing. Lol

I agree, I cant seem to make up my mind with all of the different positions. This is especially an issue with the Magpul 10 position receiver extension.

Though this really is a first world problem, and I'm sure that I'll figure it out eventually. ;)

I have no issues with Colt 4 position receiver extensions.