PDA

View Full Version : Delete

RetroRevolver77
06-21-18, 18:35
deleted

Biggy
06-21-18, 19:32
Collecting the sales tax is the easy part. Remittance to each state, each quarter with 50 different processes will be the nightmare for many, many small businesses. Income tax and then sales tax?
They don't enforce border laws, but they will always enforce tax laws. Can anyone tell me how this will benefit our economy? So larger retailers win, small independent retailers lose. Not to mention their customers. There are tens of thousands of separate tax districts in the U.S. How is a smaller seller supposed to handle that? I intentionally purchase from online retailers who don't charge sales or shipping and I will continue to look for that.

RetroRevolver77
06-21-18, 20:17
deleted

SomeOtherGuy
06-21-18, 20:29
What I don't understand is how they can force someone to collect a sales tax and remit it on behalf of the customer in states where they don't have an actual business.

That is an excellent question. This 5-4 holding may have much more far-ranging implications than just sales tax. I need to read it several times, but at minimum it could have implications for banking, credit cards, national advertising of attractions that are specific to one or two locations (like theme parks), insurance, etc.

Averageman
06-21-18, 22:37
So who didn't see this coming?
Really, if you can't pass a budget, let alone balance one, or pay off the National Debt, you better find some new revenue sources.

MountainRaven
06-21-18, 23:17
This strikes me as something to ensure that the big internet retail companies remain big internet retail companies and discourage entrepreneurs from starting new internet retail companies.

And, of course, software companies and companies like PayPal stand to make big bucks by offering services to automatically calculate, collect, and pay individual state sales taxes.

Moose-Knuckle
06-22-18, 05:56
This will change where I shop with Amazon being the exception since they have been collecting my state's sales tax for sometime now.

I usually shop from out of state businesses specifically to save on the sales tax combined with free shipping and usually a discount price. I can't remember the last time I bought a firearm from a retailer in my home state.

austinN4
06-22-18, 07:12
Here is how they voted:
Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the 5-4 decision, jettisoning the court's longstanding rule that states cannot require companies without a physical presence to collect sales taxes. He was joined by Justices Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch.

The_War_Wagon
06-22-18, 08:13
Well, if it brings BACK four gun shops on every city block, I guess I can live WITHOUT Gunbroker.

Otherwise, I predict MUCH non-compliance.

And I'm surprised the IRS could only kidnap 5 justices' kids before this vote... :rolleyes:

Alex V
06-22-18, 08:33
When you think of the phrase, "getting blood from a stone", remember, the government will always find a way.

TexHill
06-22-18, 08:38
In Texas, the law has been that if you live in Texas and purchase a taxable item from a seller who does not charge the state sales tax then it is the buyer's responsibility to pay the state a "Use" tax of 6.25%. And, if you live in a city that charges a local sales tax then you owe the city up to 2% of the purchase price. The problem is that no one steps up to pay it, and the state hasn't been able to figure out a way to enforce the law.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/sales/use-tax.php

Most Texas sellers collect sales tax and remit it to the Comptroller’s office. But when you buy items online or by telephone, email or fax from mail order catalogs, the seller may not, and may not be required to, collect Texas sales tax. If you buy the item for use in Texas, you owe Texas use tax.

For example, if you buy a shirt through an online auction from a seller in Ohio who does not charge Texas sales tax, or if a New York electronics store sells you a camera through its website and does not charge Texas sales tax, you owe Texas use tax on the price of the item.

Arik
06-22-18, 11:15
Personally it won't effect me much. The only thing I buy online with any kind of regularity is ammo, followed by mags. Everything else I buy local. I've never seen anything on Amazon that I can't get locally for about the same price. I've only ever used them once to try out a shitty ankle holster. But I can see how this will effect a lot of people and businesses

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

NWPilgrim
06-22-18, 13:56
This could crush eBay small businesses, and most web based ones as well from the overhead complication. Perhaps VISA, Paypal, etc will include tax calculations for their merchants to enable small business to stay afloat?

Arik
06-22-18, 15:24
On second thought I doubt it would do much harm. On the checkout page you'll probably just add along with the state the city or county with its appropriate tax all of which will total into the full price.

TommyG
06-22-18, 16:01
There is a lot of additional expense/headache for the vendor. That is where it will likely hurt the most.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotlikoff/2018/06/21/did-the-supreme-court-just-bankrupt-tens-of-thousands-of-small-online-businesses/#542d082927aa

26 Inf
06-22-18, 19:42
This could crush eBay small businesses, and most web based ones as well from the overhead complication. Perhaps VISA, Paypal, etc will include tax calculations for their merchants to enable small business to stay afloat?

I'm pretty sure there will be a couple of folks who line up to provide those services.

Arik
06-22-18, 21:42

Whomever makes the site where you go to check out is who would do it. Don't see why it's so tragic. Those programs already exist and some online retailers already charge state tax.

In my business we have to pay fuel tax to states we don't reside in and it's the same thing. I don't use a program because I don't have a large amount to calculate but companies with hundreds of employees use a program. Quick and easy