PDA

View Full Version : What buffer for full auto mid-length carbine?

Bret
06-21-18, 19:00
I'm in the process of converting my M16A1 from fixed stock configuration to a mid-length carbine configuration. I'm going to preserve the original components (minus the lower of course). What buffer should I use with a mid-length barrel when shooting full? Would I be correct to assume that the buffer springs should all be the same?

Col_Crocs
06-21-18, 19:14
I'm in the process of converting my M16A1 from fixed stock configuration to a mid-length carbine configuration. I'm going to preserve the original components (minus the lower of course). What buffer should I use with a mid-length barrel when shooting full? Would I be correct to assume that the buffer springs should all be the same?

I've run a 16mid quite well on a FA lower with an H2, if you have that handy. If you're buying parts, I suggest getting an A5.

Bret
06-21-18, 19:40
OK, I'm ignorant. I've heard of carbine, H1, H2 and H3, but not A5. What does A5 mean?

Dcr5595
06-21-18, 19:46
OK, I'm ignorant. I've heard of carbine, H1, H2 and H3, but not A5. What does A5 mean?

It’s an intermediate length receiver extension, A M16 rifle action spring, and a Vltor A5 buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
06-21-18, 21:05
IIf you're buying parts, I suggest getting an A5.

Without quesion.

How the hell can you have been on this forum since 2007 and not heard of the A5?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?207340-Buffer-question&p=2632292#post2632292

Bret
06-21-18, 21:51
How the hell can you have been on this forum since 2007 and not heard of the A5?
Because I don't fix crap that ain't broken. I have about 15 AR-15's. I've only ever had one that had an issue with cycling. It was short stroking sometimes due to being undergassed. I was able to get it to run reliably by installing a semiauto bolt carrier. Not an ideal fix, but it runs 100%. I'm not saying that all of my AR-15's are running ideally, but they're fine with me so long as they are reliable. In the case of this change of my M16A1 to carbine configuration, I'd like to make sure that I've got more of an ideal setup as I have to buy most of the parts anyway.

Iraqgunz
06-23-18, 03:12
Standard H2 or get an A5H3.

bobbytucson
06-24-18, 02:40

Stick with h2 if your heart is set on milspec, otherwise i would get a vltor a-5 system man, i have it on most my rifles and absolutely love how it feels when it shoots, has a unique smooth impulse and overall has great benefits and not really any draw backs

Sparky5019
09-16-18, 14:49
Cool. Just found this thread. So my take away is y’all are liking the A5H3 for full auto. I’m switching a 10.3 upper onto it dedicated unsuppressed. What spring? Factory or SC green?

Clint
09-16-18, 18:19
The A5H2 or A5H3 is probably the best default buffer setup for everything.

A shorty upper that is dedicated suppressed should have appropriate Gas Drive.

Proper Gas Drive can be accomplished with a small port in the barrel, a port insert, an adjustable gas block, or an adjustable carrier.

Cool. Just found this thread. So my take away is y’all are liking the A5H3 for full auto. I’m switching a 10.3 upper onto it dedicated unsuppressed. What spring? Factory or SC green?

Sparky5019
09-16-18, 19:56
The A5H2 or A5H3 is probably the best default buffer setup for everything.

A shorty upper that is dedicated suppressed should have appropriate Gas Drive.

Proper Gas Drive can be accomplished with a small port in the barrel, a port insert, an adjustable gas block, or an adjustable carrier.

I keep an SLR AGB on it. It will not be suppressed on a regular basis.

Would you go A5 factory spring or green spring? I have a version of every sprinco buffer spring they’ve made and overall I’ve not really liked or seen improvement in the recoil impulse. But that may just be me.

Iraqgunz
09-16-18, 23:47
Not sure why, but the biggest improvement will be the life cycle of the spring. I have a few that are 7+ years old and there has been minimal shrinkage.

I keep an SLR AGB on it. It will not be suppressed on a regular basis.

Would you go A5 factory spring or green spring? I have a version of every sprinco buffer spring they’ve made and overall I’ve not really liked or seen improvement in the recoil impulse. But that may just be me.

Sparky5019
09-17-18, 08:54
Good point. I’ll try it on the MG lower and see how that goes. The green spring is literally the only Sprinco spring I’ve not tried. I’ve never been a huge fan of SS for springs anyway so it makes sense that they would take more set over time since they don’t have some of the properties of good carbon spring steel. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro