PDA

View Full Version : aimpoint and mount. zeroing

lanceriley
10-25-08, 11:56
I have already ordered a 14.5in barreled flat top upper. rear sight is an LMT fixed sight.

Im considering aimpoint ML2 or ML3 (m4 is just too expensive)

I usually use the ibsz for my iron sight.

If I have a lower 1/3 co-witness of the aimpoint, can I still use the ibsz on the aimpoint? considering it is already located higher than the irons?

what mount should I get? cantilever? std mount?
any maker suggestions? nothing fancy just something that would work

Harv
10-25-08, 12:49
Your BZO for Irons will having nothing to do with your Aimpoint as your zero them separately.

BZO your Irons (pick on, 25 yd , IBSZ,etc) then do the same thing for your Optic.
as to mounts.. I'm a LaRue man, there the best in my humble opinion. I don't use a Cantilver as I don't need the extra rail space for other things (Which is the primary reason to use a Cantilver).

So I would go with a St LaRue mount (has a nice spare battery compartment) and the Aimpoint of your choice. and BZO it using the 50 yd zero and you will be set.

Turnkey11
10-25-08, 12:50
As long as you can see your irons through the aimpoint (and your irons are zeroed) you can lollipop the dot on the front sight post and confirm zero at distance with the dot. Go Larue.

Shotdown
10-25-08, 13:31
I asked the same question about mounts and was told to use the Larue LT-150 unless you're going to add a magnifier then get the LT-129. I purchased an LT-150 for my Aimpoint M2.

lanceriley
10-25-08, 19:53
actually my question was a lower 1/3 co witness (meaning red dot scope is mounted higher than the irons) would zero well with ibsz.

I was wondering if the difference in height would affect ibsz

iv been looking at other mounts but it seems that larue has a package with aimpoint. well... the cantilever mount just looks good I know it's just an aesthetic thing. LT150 is lower third cowitness non cantilever right?

what about gg&g? any good? A.R.M.S.?

mtk
10-25-08, 21:45
Im considering aimpoint ML2 or ML3 (m4 is just too expensive)

Compare the price of an ML2 or ML3 and a mount and an M4 and a mount.

The M4 can be had with an ADM QD mount for $702 from G&R Tactical.

Once you add in the cost of a mount, the M4 isn't that much more expensive.

Think of it this way: ten years from now, which would you rather have, the M4 or whatever the extra $50 bought you, way back when?

I know this isn't what you were asking, but I've made the mistake of not buying my first choice in the past and it always ends up costing me more money in the long run, or leaving me less satisfied, than if I'd just bit the bullet and got what I wanted in the first place.

I wrestled with this exact issue and I always come back to the fact that I can spend $600+ on an M2 or M3 or spend a wee bit more and get the top-shelf model and not look back. I'd rather skip lunch a few days at the office and get the best than buy a lesser model and regret it forever.

If that isn't enough reason, keep in mind that the extra battery life of the M4 means that in a decade or so it will have made up the cost difference in battery savings.

Yes, I am a master of rationalization. :D

lanceriley
10-25-08, 23:29
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=20
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=184

actually larue sells them in a combo deal. so they're like $200 cheaper if you buy them this way. compared to the m4 @700 dollars.

Im not low drag high speed, or Leo or Military. so this is just plinking fun probably once a month.

but you do have a point with buying the latest aimpoint m4.

Turnkey11
10-25-08, 23:40
actually my question was a lower 1/3 co witness (meaning red dot scope is mounted higher than the irons) would zero well with ibsz.

I was wondering if the difference in height would affect ibsz

iv been looking at other mounts but it seems that larue has a package with aimpoint. well... the cantilever mount just looks good I know it's just an aesthetic thing. LT150 is lower third cowitness non cantilever right?

what about gg&g? any good? A.R.M.S.?

As I posted earlier, if you can see the dot through the irons it doesnt make a difference, you can still zero that way. As for the other two manufacturers I have no experience, I went Larue once and have been satisfied enough to have no desire for anything else.:D

lanceriley
10-26-08, 00:27
I think I may have not explained it properly.

Yes my irons are zeroed by ibsz. no problem with that. In fact I like how it zeroes @50 has a midrange of about +2inches then goes down.

What I wanted to know Is can I zero my aimpoint the same way. will it still have a midrange of about +2 inches considering that it is mounted up higher

Turnkey11
10-26-08, 14:43
I havent tried zeroing without using my irons as the starting point so not sure.

lanceriley
10-26-08, 16:08
that's not the point. with or with out iron sights. will an increased height of the RDS give you a 50yard point blank zero and 200 meter true zero? will the midrange be still 2" above?

Harv
10-26-08, 21:17
Christ your making this harder then it needs to be..

You zero the Aimpoint on a 50 yd target and you have the same zero your Irons have.. Forget your irons.. You putting Wayyyy too much thought in the height difference between Aimpoint mounts...(Lower 1/3 vs, Center cowitness)

And If I thought GG& G or ARMS were better then LaRue... I would have recommended them...

but for what you described as usage... pick whatever you like and go have fun...

lanceriley
10-26-08, 23:23
hmmm.. maybe Im putting too much in my head.

alright. I'll try that :D Hopefully it'll shoot as flat as the irons

ballsout
10-26-08, 23:25
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19384

check this out
could help....

austinN4
10-27-08, 07:43
Step 1: Zero your irons at 50 yards
Step 2: Read Aimpoint's short and simple zeroing instructions at http://www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s/390
Step 3: Zero your RD at 50 yards
Step 4: Shoot a bunch and have fun

POI will be the same for both regardless of distance when using the same ammo.

FJB
10-27-08, 15:39
hmmm.. maybe Im putting too much in my head.

alright. I'll try that :D Hopefully it'll shoot as flat as the irons

Lance,
Go to www.downrange.tv/show2 to watch video clip Part 2. This might help you.

S/F

lanceriley
10-27-08, 19:25
there's nothing on the link

Jay Cunningham
10-27-08, 19:34

It loaded up a video for me...

mtk
10-27-08, 20:10
Step 1: Zero your irons at 50 yards
Step 2: Read Aimpoint's short and simple zeroing instructions at http://www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s/390
Step 3: Zero your RD at 50 yards
Step 4: Shoot a bunch and have fun

POI will be the same for both regardless of distance when using the same ammo.

Or buy folding Irons and leave them folded. Problem solved. :D

austinN4
10-27-08, 20:18
Or buy folding Irons and leave them folded. Problem solved. :D
Iif they aren't zeroed they aren't much of a back up. And if you don't zero them, why buy them?

FJB
10-27-08, 21:49

Try again. Worked for me.

S/F

lanceriley
10-27-08, 23:27
Iif they aren't zeroed they aren't much of a back up. And if you don't zero them, why buy them?

yep exactly the point. my primary sights will always be iron. it's fool proof as well as dummy proof. so many things tend to go wrong with battery operated sights. not meaning to start an argument here. just my opinion. of course im still buying a battery operated RDS :p