PDA

View Full Version : Colt enhanced patrol rifle

5.56 Bonded SP
06-22-18, 00:45
If there is already a thread about these, a mod can delete this. I didn't see any theads.

Colt is offering a the enhanced patrol rifle in two configurations I see, an 11" and 16".

Can someone here explain the differences between the trooper and the epr.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/enh-patrol-rif-556-115-301

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/enh-patrol-rif-556mm-16-301

Tigereye
06-22-18, 05:38
From the site, it looks like the EPR has MBUS Pros, B5 stock, and ambi safety.

ruckusjuice
06-22-18, 07:01
The rail on the EPR is the standard Centurion MLok rail with the QD sockets, not the one Centurion made as the OEM for the Trooper.

–————————————————
My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

ABNAK
06-22-18, 19:25
Does the EPR have the SOCOM/M4A1 barrel perhaps?

grizzman
06-22-18, 21:54
I hadn't heard of it before this thread.

I don't know what barrel it's got, but it seems to be carbine gassed with a shaved FSB (no surprise there).

It appears to be a solid competitor in the ~$1250 arena, like the CCU.

ZGXtreme
06-22-18, 23:25
We just finished issuing out 80+ of these only in 14.5” configuration. The model number was 6921EPR or something of that sort when I glanced at the inventory sheet.

ABNAK
06-23-18, 08:28
We just finished issuing out 80+ of these only in 14.5” configuration. The model number was 6921EPR or something of that sort when I glanced at the inventory sheet.

Was it a SOCOM profile behind the shaved FSB or standard M4 (thin) profile?

Beat Trash
06-23-18, 08:59
My impression is that these use the standard 6920 profile barrels. The Spec sheet doesn't list the barrels as being Heavy or SOCOM profile.

The main differences between a Trooper and the EPR is first, the EPR lower has Bambi selector switch, like the Colt 6960 CCU. The Centurion hand guard is different and has built in QD attachments on the EPR vs the proprietary rail Colt had made for the Trooper. The EPR comes from the factory with the MagPul PRO MUBS and a B5 stock.

I bought a Trooper last fall when they were stupid cheap ($689.00). I added a MagPul PRO MBUS and a MagPul MOE-sl stock. At that time, even adding my cost for the stock and sight, the Trooper was a better deal than buying an EPR. With the current pricing on Troopers, The EPR would be worth a hard look.

As an Agency issued rifle, the EPR in any of the three barrel lengths would be an excellent platform for an issued Patrol Rifle. Especially the 11.5" model.

I would love to see Colt take the 11.5" EPR and make an AR Pistol out of it. Take a page from Daniel Defense and offer it with or without a Law Tactical Folder installed. I know I'd buy one, or two of them...

ZGXtreme
06-23-18, 09:29
Was it a SOCOM profile behind the shaved FSB or standard M4 (thin) profile?

I’m not sure, I didn’t accept one of them and continued carrying my 6933 instead.

Stickman
06-23-18, 14:53

LE Patrol issue, or something else?

ZGXtreme
06-23-18, 22:32
LE Patrol issue, or something else?

Yes, agency wide issue 14.5” SBRs replacing our 6520’s. Boxes and inventory sign out had them listed as 6921EPR.

longshot2000
11-13-18, 22:32
The uppers are available for commercial sale, not just LE. Just a little hard to get.

indianalex01
11-14-18, 02:41
Here is my 6933 EPR H2 buffer, pencil profile barrel like 6933, Holosun Red Dot. I love it. A kick ass carbine 54521

gdonley308
05-01-19, 20:59
Hate to resurrect an old thread however I’m looking at buying one of three rifles through the sale of my SGL21.
Colt LE6920-EPR
BCM RECCE 16
Armalite M15 TAC16
All these rifles are within $100 of each other.
The Armalite has a few things going for it. Trigger is a precision 2 stage, doesn’t need replacing. Adjustable gas block. Buis’s, and from everything I’ve read, more accurate (sub moa). I already own 2 Colt 6920’s. An older restricted marked receiver, M4 configuration, and a 6920-R trooper. I run SSA-E triggers in all my AR’s. I also own an Armalite AR10 TAC18 .308, and a LTC (Light Tactical Carbine) in 6.8spc. The Colt 6920-R is a 1.25 to 1.5 moa rifle with Hornady TAP 5.56 T2. The other Colt is about a 2moa rifle with same ammo. The AR10 is a .75moa rifle with Federal 168gr GM. The 6.8 LTC is 1moa with Hornady 110gr. BTHP.
I have never owned a BCM. My friend has a build using one of their uppers. He hasn’t found a load for it yet. 2moa at best. BCM has quite a following and people love them.

Sry0fcr
05-02-19, 09:02
Hate to resurrect an old thread however I’m looking at buying one of three rifles through the sale of my SGL21.
Colt LE6920-EPR
BCM RECCE 16
Armalite M15 TAC16
All these rifles are within $100 of each other.
The Armalite has a few things going for it. Trigger is a precision 2 stage, doesn’t need replacing. Adjustable gas block. Buis’s, and from everything I’ve read, more accurate (sub moa). I already own 2 Colt 6920’s. An older restricted marked receiver, M4 configuration, and a 6920-R trooper. I run SSA-E triggers in all my AR’s. I also own an Armalite AR10 TAC18 .308, and a LTC (Light Tactical Carbine) in 6.8spc. The Colt 6920-R is a 1.25 to 1.5 moa rifle with Hornady TAP 5.56 T2. The other Colt is about a 2moa rifle with same ammo. The AR10 is a .75moa rifle with Federal 168gr GM. The 6.8 LTC is 1moa with Hornady 110gr. BTHP.
I have never owned a BCM. My friend has a build using one of their uppers. He hasn’t found a load for it yet. 2moa at best. BCM has quite a following and people love them.

Of the 3 listed, Colt or the BCM. I'd lean towards the BCM for the midlength gas system because in 2019 there's really no reason not to go midlength on a 16" barreled carbine. I'd also encourage you to take a look at the Colt LE6960CCU which is basically a midlength EPR, making it a toss up. It'll come down to minutiae like which rail or furniture you prefer and whether or not you want to spend the $100. Unfortunately, I don't have any frame of reference on the Armalite.

gdonley308
05-02-19, 09:26
Thanks, yes I looked at the CCU. Being it’s the first Colt using a mid length, I didn’t want problems. There were a few reviews that remarked at how quickly the hand guard heated up and became too hot to hold? I honestly don’t feel or see (accuracy) any difference between the Carbine and mid length systems. I’ve never had a Weapons related failure using the Carbine gas system or a failure attributed to that system. Which ever rifle I buy it’s getting a SSA-E trigger or their new super single stage.

arptsprt
05-02-19, 09:40
Nearing 4000 rounds down the pipe of my 6960 as of this week since it was purchased new in January of 2018, nary a problem. The mid length gas system has functioned great and the heat thing doesn’t exist and I don’t shoot with gloves.

That said, of the options you’ve identified, either the BCM or Colt would be solid choices.

Thanks, yes I looked at the CCU. Being it’s the first Colt using a mid length, I didn’t want problems. There were a few reviews that remarked at how quickly the hand guard heated up and became too hot to hold? I honestly don’t feel or see (accuracy) any difference between the Carbine and mid length systems. I’ve never had a Weapons related failure using the Carbine gas system or a failure attributed to that system. Which ever rifle I buy it’s getting a SSA-E trigger or their new super single stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdonley308
05-02-19, 10:06
Nearing 4000 rounds down the pipe of my 6960 as of this week since it was purchased new in January of 2018, nary a problem. The mid length gas system has functioned great and the heat thing doesn’t exist and I don’t shoot with gloves.

That said, of the options you’ve identified, either the BCM or Colt would be solid choices.

Hey thanks for sharing your experience with the CCU. So those reports about the hand guard heating up, not so much? What was your rate of fire? How is your accuracy and what load does it like the most? Both my Colts really like the 5.56 75gr Hornady TAP T2.

I like the new Armalites since Strategic Armory Corp. bought them. Strategic Armory owns Surgeon Rifles, McMillan Rifles, Nexus Ammo and AWC suppressors. All very high end stuff. I have one of the new AR10 TAC18’s and a M15 LTC (Light Tactical Carbine) in 6.8spc. I didn’t touch the AR10 (beautiful rifle that tack drives and been 100% reliable). I I did replace the bolt in the LTC with an LMT Enhanced 6.8spc Bolt. I also replaced the trigger in the LTC with a SSA-E. The barrels on the Armalites are 4150, chrome Moly Valadium, double hand lapped chrome lined. Not worried about the barrel. I know the bolt is 158 Carpenter Steel, however these are batch tested and I’m not sure if the extractor is tool steel, so I would replace the bolt with a Colt or BCM bolt. All that being said I can get a LTC (6lbs!) in 5.56 for $750. With upgrading the trigger (which I’d have to do to the Colt and BCM) the bolt, adding a B5 butt stock and BCM GF Mod 3 pistol grip, I still come out $300 less than either the Colt or BCM. The Armalites in reviews are much more accurate than either the Colt or BCM. I guess that is attributed to the double hand lapping of the barrels? So an Armalite LTC is another option. At 6.0lbs it’s the lightest rifle. I know there isn’t allot of love for Armalite, but mine are a couple of nice rifles.

I like my Colts 6920’s. I like the BCM specs but I don’t like the accuracy reports. I know in practical accuracy the small .5-1moa difference isn’t noticeable. So I’m on the fence with these three still. The auction on my SGL21 doesn’t end until next week so I still have some time to ponder.

I’m welcoming anyone’s input and experience any of these rifles. Thanks

Sry0fcr
05-02-19, 10:27

There aren't any problems that I've with my own or heard about. I guess one of the advantages of putting one out 15 years too late with guys like Ken Hackathorn, Mike Pannone and Daryl Holland consulting is that it's pretty well sorted. I personally haven't had any issues with the handguard heating up either.

Also, the advantages to midlength gas isn't accuracy, it's reliability. NSWC confirmed and quantified what everyone already knew.

For low temperature testing, carbine-length weapons had 333.3 mean rounds between failures (MRBF) compared to 836.1 MRBF for ambient temperature testing and mid-length weapons had 562.5 MRBF compared to 1993.8 MRBF for ambient temperature testing.

gdonley308
05-02-19, 12:56
Thank you for sharing that report. I hadn’t read that before. I respect the findings from NWSC and SOCOM. I just got off the phone with Armalite, nice people and very honest. The gentleman I spoke too told me the gas blocks on Armalites use 3 set screws. No dimples on the barrels, no red locktite. Looks like I’ll be dimpling my Barrels and Red locktiting my two Armalites when I get home. I also spoke to Colt via internet. They informed that the CCU and 6920’s use two tapered roll pins and drilled barrels to secure the gas block, the method I prefer as it’s bullet proof. Colt said the CCU goes though all the same QC and testing procedures as the 6920’s and Government contract rifles. I want to thank you for your feedback. I will be purchasing a CCU next week.

Sry0fcr
05-02-19, 13:30
Thank you for sharing that report. I hadn’t read that before. I respect the findings from NWSC and SOCOM. I just got off the phone with Armalite, nice people and very honest. The gentleman I spoke too told me the gas blocks on Armalites use 3 set screws. No dimples on the barrels, no red locktite. Looks like I’ll be dimpling my Barrels and Red locktiting my two Armalites when I get home. I also spoke to Colt via internet. They informed that the CCU and 6920’s use two tapered roll pins and drilled barrels to secure the gas block, the method I prefer as it’s bullet proof. Colt said the CCU goes though all the same QC and testing procedures as the 6920’s and Government contract rifles. I want to thank you for your feedback. I will be purchasing a CCU next week.

Colt uses shaved down FSBs, BCM uses dimples and Loctite IIRC. Unfortunate about Armalite's gas block installation...

indianalex01
05-02-19, 13:33
Hey thanks for sharing your experience with the CCU. So those reports about the hand guard heating up, not so much? What was your rate of fire? How is your accuracy and what load does it like the most? Both my Colts really like the 5.56 75gr Hornady TAP T2.

I like the new Armalites since Strategic Armory Corp. bought them. Strategic Armory owns Surgeon Rifles, McMillan Rifles, Nexus Ammo and AWC suppressors. All very high end stuff. I have one of the new AR10 TAC18’s and a M15 LTC (Light Tactical Carbine) in 6.8spc. I didn’t touch the AR10 (beautiful rifle that tack drives and been 100% reliable). I I did replace the bolt in the LTC with an LMT Enhanced 6.8spc Bolt. I also replaced the trigger in the LTC with a SSA-E. The barrels on the Armalites are 4150, chrome Moly Valadium, double hand lapped chrome lined. Not worried about the barrel. I know the bolt is 158 Carpenter Steel, however these are batch tested and I’m not sure if the extractor is tool steel, so I would replace the bolt with a Colt or BCM bolt. All that being said I can get a LTC (6lbs!) in 5.56 for $750. With upgrading the trigger (which I’d have to do to the Colt and BCM) the bolt, adding a B5 butt stock and BCM GF Mod 3 pistol grip, I still come out $300 less than either the Colt or BCM. The Armalites in reviews are much more accurate than either the Colt or BCM. I guess that is attributed to the double hand lapping of the barrels? So an Armalite LTC is another option. At 6.0lbs it’s the lightest rifle. I know there isn’t allot of love for Armalite, but mine are a couple of nice rifles.

I like my Colts 6920’s. I like the BCM specs but I don’t like the accuracy reports. I know in practical accuracy the small .5-1moa difference isn’t noticeable. So I’m on the fence with these three still. The auction on my SGL21 doesn’t end until next week so I still have some time to ponder.

I have first hand experience with inaccurate BCM. I have had 2 MK12 Mod 5 uppers and both couldn’t hold 3MOA with MK318, IMI262. BCM doesn’t doesn’t back their product. They give no accuracy Guarantee. I will never buy BCM again after their crappy customer service.

I have a Colt EPR and 6960. Solid rifles. They only need triggers.

arptsprt
05-02-19, 13:54
I have no direct experience with the Armalite rifles, but I know enough they are not for me.

I think the CCU will be a good choice.

Like I said, I have not experienced issues with over heated handguards. Rate of fire? All reasonable rates of fire necessary in numerous, legit training courses of fire. It’s rare for me to shoot rapid fire of more than a 10 round string from time to time. In all instances of realistic training without gloves, I’ve never experienced an issue.

The accuracy is good. I now primarily use Wold Gold 55 gr and Magtech 62 gr for training ammo. For budget FMJ, the Wolf Gold has proven itself to be very reliable and accurate for us. Chrono’d MVs have been close to 5.56 velocity and consistent. The Magtech is less consistent but I like the heavier bullet. It has also been reliable. My CCU likes the Wolf better for accuracy but with both, 3-4 MOA seems to be the average with an LPVO (Razor HD Gen2 1-6 non-E). The groups come down nicely with the IMI Razor 69 or 77 gr OTM. I’ve been able to get the IMI down to 1-1.5 MOA at times. I do have a larue MBT trigger installed.

CajunCourier
05-07-19, 20:50
Colt said the CCU goes though all the same QC and testing procedures as the 6920’s and Government contract rifles

I'm just curious, did you hear this directly from Colt?

gdonley308
05-07-19, 21:01
I'm just curious, did you hear this directly from Colt?

Yes, I contacted them through their website and Instagram. I asked about the testing of the barrels and bolts, as well as if the gas block was pinned, which it is, and I prefer. It sound like it’s basically a mid length 6920.

Eazyeach
05-08-19, 09:13
Wow. I’ve never overthought something so much that I’ve even considered calling a manufacturer. Just go to the range!

Sry0fcr
05-08-19, 09:21
Wow. I’ve never overthought something so much that I’ve even considered calling a manufacturer. Just go to the range!

If more people did their due diligence there'd be a lot less ignorance in the world. Personally, I applaud him for asking pertinent questions before spending that kind of money on... well, anything to be honest. If he didn't talk to Armalite, he wouldn't have known that their gas block installation wasn't what he wanted.

gdonley308
05-08-19, 09:32
If more people did their due diligence there'd be a lot less ignorance in the world. Personally, I applaud him for asking pertinent questions before spending that kind of money on... well, anything to be honest. If he didn't talk to Armalite, he wouldn't have known that their gas block installation wasn't what he wanted.

Only AR’s I ever bought were 6920’s. Never had a weapon related malfunction in 3 Carbine courses and many 1,000rd days. Admittedly I run them dripping wet with Mobil 1 and live in Florida. When I get home I will be removing the gas blocks on both my Armalites to dimple the barrel and red locktite the set screws. For a rifle I would stake my life on, it will have a pinned gas block, MPI/Pressure tested barrel bolts, but that’s just me. With all the opinions by individuals with zero experience handling or firing the carbines I was interested in, it’s better to spend the time to contact the manufacturer to check on specifics. Had the 6960 not had a pinned gas block, MPI/Pressure tested barrel and bolts, I would have just purchased the LE6920-EPR. Actually I still might get the EPR if the price is the same.

05-08-19, 13:44
Nevermind

gdonley308
05-17-19, 16:44
Well bought the 6960 CCU then just got this response from Strategic Armory Corp. today. This is a response to my question as to if their barrels and bolts are pressure and MPI tested.

Yes they are both MPI tested, we just haven’t marked them that way.

As a side note both the bolts and carriers are heat treated, shot peened, grip blast finished and have a manganese phosphate finish per 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171.

Thank you,

GLENN MINTON
CUSTOMER SUPPORT | SALES

glenn@sacfirearms.com
www.sacfirearms.com

However the gas blocks on the Armalites are secured with set screws. I just dimpled the barrel on my AR10 and red locktite the set screws on the gas block. I still have to do this to my Amalite LTC in 6.8spc. It baffles me that this isn’t done at the factory?