PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Silencerco Omega 300 Owner FeedBack

joeg26er
06-23-18, 21:21
WANTED: Silencerco Omega 300 Owner FeedBack

Anyone have buyers remorse? Reasons?

Also, how well does this suppress flash/night signature?

Thanks!

Smokin338
06-24-18, 00:16
Light and minimal POI shifts... liked it so much bought the Blackhawk! version on closeout for 1/3 OFF of the price of the SiCo MSRP...

Furbyballer
06-24-18, 05:35
I do not like the design. I have continually had problems with the different pieces un threading themselves after moderate to high rates of fire. Even after ensuring they are all tightened down. I much prefer a solid 1 piece welded can. Also i hate the asr system. If you want a light 30 cal can look at Q or grab a rugged or dead air can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

themonk
06-24-18, 07:54
If you are looking for a can that can morph into different configurations the Omega shines. Yesterday I finally got around to putting an adjustable gas block on my old AAC 9" 300 blk. I was checking function with the Omega in direct thread and with a 51T adapter along with an older AAC SDN6. The SDN6 is a pig at 21oz but as far as tone and suppression there is no difference between the two other than weight. I also have a Sig 762tiqd and the difference in suppression and tone is night and day.

I purchased the Omega on a 41F whim and at the end of the day I wish I would have purchased another Sig. That being said it's nice to have around because of its ability to be light and small with direct thread or big and use the baffled end cap for 308 precision. In 2018 I see no reason to buy one other than its ability to change configurations. I am also slightly worried about SiCo's stability as a business as a of late. The have laid off a lot of people.

I would be looking at Q, Sig, KAC, Surefire, and Dead Air.

joeg26er
06-24-18, 08:06
I should mention I’m looking at this because it’s so light in the 556 configuration and has one of the best sound suppression AFAIK

themonk
06-24-18, 08:13
I should mention I’m looking at this because it’s so light in the 556 configuration and has one of the best sound suppression AFAIK

Sound suppression doesn't really matter with 556 as it will never be hearing safe no matter the can.

So light with direct thread or in the QD config?

In either case there are better cans.

joeg26er
06-24-18, 08:54
Point taken but the only other suppressor
I’ve seen that’s lighter is the griffin micro
Which others say hardly has any effect on 556
Also in comparisons I’ve seen the omega 300 on 556 beats the sandman L and S by a significant number of dB
Plus still lighter

CPM
06-24-18, 09:39
Point taken but the only other suppressor
I’ve seen that’s lighter is the griffin micro
Which others say hardly has any effect on 556
Also in comparisons I’ve seen the omega 300 on 556 beats the sandman L and S by a significant number of dB
Plus still lighter

I think the Omega is one of the most versatile cans on the market. It is as small and light as a 556 can, has just as good sound suppression, and can suppress 300WM. I leave mine in the 30 cal flat end cap configuration and forget about it. I'll probably buy a second one.

gunnerblue
06-24-18, 09:43
I bought one as a versatile option for ARs and hunting rifles. I’m happy with it overall but wouldn’t buy another. I don’t really use it’s modular capabilities as I’ve come to like more specific, dedicated suppressors. Knowing what I know now, I’d buy a Thunder Beast Ultra 7 for hunting/precision and a Surefires for 7.62 and 5.56 ARs. In fact, I’ll probably end up doing that anyway. Changing the configuration of the Omega is a pain, and the outer sleeve can easily come off. Mine is loose but I never remove the flat cap so it hasn’t come off.

I do like it’s light weight and size and suppression characteristics (recoil impulse, not sound). I do not like the ASR mounting system. If you get an Omega, do yourself a favor and upgrade to Dead Air Key-Mo mounts. They do add a little weight but are much more secure and user friendly.

joeg26er
06-24-18, 09:44
I do not like the design. I have continually had problems with the different pieces un threading themselves after moderate to high rates of fire. Even after ensuring they are all tightened down. I much prefer a solid 1 piece welded can. Also i hate the asr system. If you want a light 30 cal can look at Q or grab a rugged or dead air can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

@furbyballer
Have you contacted SilencerCo about warranty? How is their customer service?
From my research, the Rugged and Dead Air dB are not as good and both are heavier. Have not looked at Q though...off to S-shop

joeg26er
06-24-18, 11:56
I bought one as a versatile option for ARs and hunting rifles. I’m happy with it overall but wouldn’t buy another. I don’t really use it’s modular capabilities as I’ve come to like more specific, dedicated suppressors. Knowing what I know now, I’d buy a Thunder Beast Ultra 7 for hunting/precision and a Surefires for 7.62 and 5.56 ARs. In fact, I’ll probably end up doing that anyway. Changing the configuration of the Omega is a pain, and the outer sleeve can easily come off. Mine is loose but I never remove the flat cap so it hasn’t come off.

I do like it’s light weight and size and suppression characteristics (recoil impulse, not sound). I do not like the ASR mounting system. If you get an Omega, do yourself a favor and upgrade to Dead Air Key-Mo mounts. They do add a little weight but are much more secure and user friendly.

From what I have seen, it seems one can do without that outer sleeve of the Omega 300?

joeg26er
06-24-18, 11:58
If you are looking for a can that can morph into different configurations the Omega shines. Yesterday I finally got around to putting an adjustable gas block on my old AAC 9" 300 blk. I was checking function with the Omega in direct thread and with a 51T adapter along with an older AAC SDN6. The SDN6 is a pig at 21oz but as far as tone and suppression there is no difference between the two other than weight. I also have a Sig 762tiqd and the difference in suppression and tone is night and day.

I purchased the Omega on a 41F whim and at the end of the day I wish I would have purchased another Sig. That being said it's nice to have around because of its ability to be light and small with direct thread or big and use the baffled end cap for 308 precision. In 2018 I see no reason to buy one other than its ability to change configurations. I am also slightly worried about SiCo's stability as a business as a of late. The have laid off a lot of people.

I looked at SureFire 556 cans and they are all heavier by around 3 oz but it is shorter by about .8 inches but that does not include how much the mounts weigh or add to OAL?

themonk
06-24-18, 12:04
From what I have seen, it seems one can do without that outer sleeve of the Omega 300?

Mine fell off. Just smothered some rockset on it and let it sit for a few days. That's all sico does.

themonk
06-24-18, 12:04
I looked at SureFire 556 cans and they are all heavier by around 3 oz but it is shorter by about .8 inches but that does not include how much the mounts weigh or add to OAL?

Your first can?

Clint
06-24-18, 12:05
I also have a Sig 762tiqd and the difference in suppression and tone is night and day.

To clarify, Are you saying the Sig Ti is night and day better than the Omega and SDN6?

joeg26er
06-24-18, 12:07
Your first can?

Yes sir. Why?

themonk
06-24-18, 12:19
To clarify, Are you saying the Sig Ti is night and day better than the Omega and SDN6?

Yes. Mount, blowback, db, and tone are all superior.

ETA - the SDN6 is a beast of a can developed for the Navy. Other than the mounting system it would be very hard to kill. I dont see the sig being as durable but is probably more durable than the Omega.

themonk
06-24-18, 12:40
Yes sir. Why?

If I were to give unsolicited advice - it's a long process so no need to rush. Do your research thoroughly and take your time.

A few ounces is not that noticable (6 or 7 is). At the end of the day you are putting almost a pound (even with the lightest cans) on the end of your gun. It's easy to get wrapped up in the numbers but it doesn't matter that much.

Tone is much more important than DB levels as is blowback. These are the things that make suppressors fun and enjoyable.

Technology makes a difference. Some cans like the m42k and the tirant are still at the top of their class DB wise but they were heavy, or hard to clean, or the mount sucks. There is a steady progression and cans keep getting better.

Most people only buy one or two cans and it's a long term or life purchase so they will always talk up their can. They will defend it to the end without ever shooting anything else. Keep that in mind as people try to convince you on what can to buy. If possible try to go to an nfa shoot where you can try out a bunch of cans to see what you like.

Try to put all your wants in a priority list (which it sounds like you already have). This allows you to quickly weed out the cans that won't fit your requirements.

gunnerblue
06-24-18, 12:46

You could, I suppose, but why would you want to?

themonk
06-24-18, 13:05
You could, I suppose, but why would you want to?

Plus that's where the serial number is. So you would need it for identification purposes.

hotrodder636
06-24-18, 14:44
I too am looking at the Omega right now...especially woth the SiCo summer deal; get a can for >800 and get an Octane 9/45 for free (minus stamp) or >700 and a Warlock or spectre for free.

Was looking at the Omega (weight and versatility) and the Chimera (suppression—haven't heard anything ablut tone though and ruggedness).

Also looking at the Sandman S and L.

There are so many good cans really right now, it makes it hard for me to decide.

joeg26er
06-24-18, 14:59
I too am looking at the Omega right now...especially woth the SiCo summer deal; get a can for >800 and get an Octane 9/45 for free (minus stamp) or >700 and a Warlock or spectre for free.

Was looking at the Omega (weight and versatility) and the Chimera (suppression—haven't heard anything ablut tone though and ruggedness).

Also looking at the Sandman S and L.

There are so many good cans really right now, it makes it hard for me to decide.

I've been looking at these charts for dB comparisons which are harder to find than the other specs such as weight, length etc

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AmLjirqXYbibSqcsVA6Syrbp3qShh9QYk-Pw6hWrs-A/edit#gid=2048334335

joeg26er
06-24-18, 15:06
How bad is the loosening of the Omega outer shell? Does it loosen within just a few rounds or does it take hundreds of rounds?

I am thinking the cause of loosening could be due to the different rates of expansion in the Ti Shell vs the end caps (stainless or stellite?)

Has anyone used any anti-seize on the threads to get a touch more torque to keep this suppressor from loosening yet without the danger of seizing the components?

themonk
06-24-18, 15:56
How bad is the loosening of the Omega outer shell? Does it loosen within just a few rounds or does it take hundreds of rounds?

I am thinking the cause of loosening could be due to the different rates of expansion in the Ti Shell vs the end caps (stainless or stellite?)

Has anyone used any anti-seize on the threads to get a touch more torque to keep this suppressor from loosening yet without the danger of seizing the components?

For me it had to do with the on / off torque. One day it just spun free. It's just held in place by rockset. I use antiseize on all my cans.

joeg26er
06-24-18, 16:37
For me it had to do with the on / off torque. One day it just spun free. It's just held in place by rockset. I use antiseize on all my cans.

Can you clarify "just spun free"? How many rounds did you have through it the first time you noticed it was loose? Are you saying you are constantly tightening the shell? Have you contacted SilencerCo about this issue?

themonk
06-24-18, 16:41
Can you clarify "just spun free"? How many rounds did you have through it the first time you noticed it was loose? Are you saying you are constantly tightening the shell? Have you contacted SilencerCo about this issue?

Couple thousand. The shell is the can so if your going to tighten it down your torquing the outer tube. It's held in place by rockset. I have lots of rockset. No need to send it back if I can fix it myself.

crossgun
06-24-18, 16:58
I love mine, yes as I own two. Running one in the 30 cal config and the other in 5.56. No issues at all, 6.5 creed, 300 Black, 5.56

Possibly if i had to have a dedicated can for a bolt gun I may have went a different route. I believe it is the best do all can.

Vegas
06-24-18, 18:50
Light and minimal POI shifts...

That has been my experience over a couple of thousand rounds. Still feels handy enough on a 10.5" 5.56 barrel.

Can't say I've had this problem.

I love mine, yes as I own two. Running one in the 30 cal config and the other in 5.56. No issues at all, 6.5 creed, 300 Black, 5.56

Possibly if i had to have a dedicated can for a bolt gun I may have went a different route. I believe it is the best do all can.

I have one can so my comments should taken with that in mind but I would agree on the best do it all can comment. I use it on 308 and 7mm Rem Mag bolt guns. It does an outstanding job on muzzle rise and recoil.

fledge
06-24-18, 19:11
I have one.

After the many reports of failed ASR mounts I sold my muzzle devices and went to the omega key-mo adaptor for dead air devices. But I used my dead air can more than my omega so now the omega is direct thread only duty.

Dead air is more durable. Just look at the materials to compare.

Durability, blowback and single-motion attachment are priorities for me, especially for any barrel tucked in a rail. Dead air does that. Barrel length minimum is next. Dead air has no minimum. Omega is 10.5 for 556 and longer for 308. While it meets the most common configurations, it doesn’t do them all. And you never know what you may get into in the future as far as rifles go.

Dead air and SiCo have been equally good CS.

You have to be happy with your decision. So pick what you want.

joeg26er
06-24-18, 19:56
I have one.

After the many reports of failed ASR mounts I sold my muzzle devices and went to the omega key-mo adaptor for dead air devices. But I used my dead air can more than my omega so now the omega is direct thread only duty.

Dead air is more durable. Just look at the materials to compare.

Durability, blowback and single-motion attachment are priorities for me, especially for any barrel tucked in a rail. Dead air does that. Barrel length minimum is next. Dead air has no minimum. Omega is 10.5 for 556 and longer for 308. While it meets the most common configurations, it doesn’t do them all. And you never know what you may get into in the future as far as rifles go.

Dead air and SiCo have been equally good CS.

You have to be happy with your decision. So pick what you want.

Thanks
Which dead air are you using and how does the blowback, dB and total system weight compare to the Omega ?

Kenneth
06-24-18, 21:38
I have an Omega and I’m satisfied with it. It suppressed well on my 6.5 bolt gun and actually tightened my groups up.

I too have upgraded to the dead air Key-Mo but honestly that was just because it was cheap for me.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the Omega again but I would look at the dead air cans hard though. I would be happy with either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

223to45
06-25-18, 14:45
What are these ASR issues people referring to??

I have the Omega 7.62, and a Spec War 7.62. Both with the ASR mounts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kenneth
06-25-18, 14:53
What are these ASR issues people referring to??

I have the Omega 7.62, and a Spec War 7.62. Both with the ASR mounts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not putting them on correctly and their cans flying down range. I’ve never had a problem.

boltcatch
06-28-18, 15:16
Not putting them on correctly and their cans flying down range. I’ve never had a problem.

I have to watch anyone handling my cans like a hawk; I've seen several people install ASR stuff incorrectly. To be fair, it's possible to do with any mount featuring a rotating collar.

My bigger beef with the can is that it does not appear to hold up the way you'd expect - I question its longevity with the sorts of uses you'd expect on a semi SBR within its barrel length restrictions. I have owned cans for well over a decade now, and my Omega has (1) the lowest round count and (2) the most visible erosion by far.

It's light and quiet, I'll give it that.

dmd08
06-28-18, 16:04
I have to watch anyone handling my cans like a hawk; I've seen several people install ASR stuff incorrectly. To be fair, it's possible to do with any mount featuring a rotating collar.

My bigger beef with the can is that it does not appear to hold up the way you'd expect - I question its longevity with the sorts of uses you'd expect on a semi SBR within its barrel length restrictions. I have owned cans for well over a decade now, and my Omega has (1) the lowest round count and (2) the most visible erosion by far.

It's light and quiet, I'll give it that.

I concur.

I like mine just fine. I currently use it almost exclusively on a 20" 5.56 precision upper. The rifle is more accurate with it on. I haven't had any ASR issues. It works fine and I'm happy with it.

I did have the outer sleeve come loose. I sent it in and got it back quickly. It hasn't happened again.

The one thing that does bother me is the visible, deep erosion on the blast baffle after very few rounds. When I first got it I had used it on a 5.56 10.5" and 16" barrel and a handful of rounds on a Sig 556R (16", 7.62x39). Grand total maybe 2-300 rounds and the erosion was very obvious. I've since used it only on barrels 16" or greater and I started using ASR brakes vs flash hiders due to the sacrificial baffle concept. I could see the pattern of the flash hider tines in the erosion on the blast baffle. I don't feel like the erosion has increased since then. I have maybe 2000-2500 rounds on the can at this point. By contrast I have a Specwar 556K that I use exclusively on a 10.5" sbr and it looks brand new with a similar round count. I find this odd since the Omega has a stellite blast baffle just like the Specwar.

joeg26er
06-28-18, 16:28
Thanks have you contacted silencerco About this issue?
Would be a good test for the customer service

I concur.

I like mine just fine. I currently use it almost exclusively on a 20" 5.56 precision upper. The rifle is more accurate with it on. I haven't had any ASR issues. It works fine and I'm happy with it.

I did have the outer sleeve come loose. I sent it in and got it back quickly. It hasn't happened again.

The one thing that does bother me is the visible, deep erosion on the blast baffle after very few rounds. When I first got it I had used it on a 5.56 10.5" and 16" barrel and a handful of rounds on a Sig 556R (16", 7.62x39). Grand total maybe 2-300 rounds and the erosion was very obvious. I've since used it only on barrels 16" or greater and I started using ASR brakes vs flash hiders due to the sacrificial baffle concept. I could see the pattern of the flash hider tines in the erosion on the blast baffle. I don't feel like the erosion has increased since then. I have maybe 2000-2500 rounds on the can at this point. By contrast I have a Specwar 556K that I use exclusively on a 10.5" sbr and it looks brand new with a similar round count. I find this odd since the Omega has a stellite blast baffle just like the Specwar.

Kenneth
06-28-18, 18:37
I have seen several people talk about the “erosion” they they start scraping the carbon of to reveal it’s not erosion.

I’m not worried about it as SiCo I’m sore has put a million rounds through an Omega without fail.

dmd08
06-28-18, 21:25
I have seen several people talk about the “erosion” they they start scraping the carbon of to reveal it’s not erosion.

I’m not worried about it as SiCo I’m sore has put a million rounds through an Omega without fail.

I agree that that happens. I thought it was carbon at first too. In my case it is in fact erosion.

There's plenty of carbon on the walls and further down the baffle. The rough eroded areas are lower than the flat bare metal areas of the front of the baffle.

I'm not worried about it since it doesn't seem to be getting worse very quickly if at all with my current usage. And it's a suppressor. It's not going to last forever. And if it got really bad some day after Xthousands of rounds I'm sure Sico would help me out, assuming they're still around.

boltcatch
07-05-18, 18:34
That's what mine looks like, though less severe (didn't use it on any 10" barrels). The subsequent baffles also don't look very happy. I'm going to a brake soon for the SBR's and expect that to sort it out.

I don't doubt SiCo's customer service, but I'd rather not have to use it some day.

joeg26er
07-05-18, 18:40
can you guys post pics of this erosion ?

Jmacken37
07-10-18, 15:20
All suppressors will erode if shot under the correct circumstances. This is not new or unique to the SilencerCo Omega. I wore a triangle shape through the baffle stack on an AAC M42000 and it sounded fine still and I only sent it back after a baffle came unwelded. Suppressors, especially if shot rapidly on shorter barreled rifles, are expendable.

joeg26er
07-10-18, 15:25
All suppressors will erode if shot under the correct circumstances. This is not new or unique to the SilencerCo Omega. I wore a triangle shape through the baffle stack on an AAC M42000 and it sounded fine still and I only sent it back after a baffle came unwelded. Suppressors, especially if shot rapidly on shorter barreled rifles, are expendable.

Understood- but I would like to know that SilencerCo will replace these suppressors for any reason? Or is erosion considered normal wear and tear?

Jmacken37
07-10-18, 15:53
You can check with them about their return policies but they are a great company and will likely take care of you.

boltcatch
07-10-18, 23:11
Understood- but I would like to know that SilencerCo will replace these suppressors for any reason? Or is erosion considered normal wear and tear?

I have no doubt whatsoever that they'd replace the baffles at least once if you manage to shoot it enough that it stops suppressing or starts misbehaving.

I don't think cans on SBRs necessarily *have* to be expendable. I have other cans - and have seen other cans - that have shrugged off much more severe firing schedules on the same type of rifles without any notable signs of wear.

For an SBR specifically, there isn't anything about this particular can - weight, mount, sound - that stands out enough to make me want to pick it over those others. I just don't think it's a good application for it, especially if you want to use a flash hider mount.

$900, plus a $200 stamp, the paperwork hassle, and the risk that you may be out a thousand bucks for a year and a half for nothing (they're not exactly in a hurry to return money)... If I could plonk money down on a counter and replace it same day I would just toss a bunch of rounds through it and enjoy it for what it is.

joeg26er
07-11-18, 06:35
Not to derail my own thread but what is as light or lighter AND as short or shorter than this omega 300 that’s also rated for fa AND short barrel AND has 135db or better?

themonk
07-11-18, 06:42
Not to derail my own thread but what is as light or lighter AND as short or shorter than this omega 300 that’s also rated for fa AND short barrel AND has 135db or better?

Where are you getting this 135 number? The omega is not that quiet but that number in unachievable from a gas gun. The sound may be muffled at the muzzle but it is just pushed back to the ejection port. 556 with a can is VERY loud at the shooters ear.

joeg26er
07-11-18, 07:12
Where are you getting this 135 number? The omega is not that quiet but that number in unachievable from a gas gun. The sound may be muffled at the muzzle but it is just pushed back to the ejection port. 556 with a can is VERY loud at the shooters ear.

Right here- 30 cal can on 556. ETA - 136dB

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AmLjirqXYbibSqcsVA6Syrbp3qShh9QYk-Pw6hWrs-A/edit#gid=1145075022

themonk
07-11-18, 07:44
I have watched the video. The 30 cal numbers are with a bolt gun and the 556 with an AR. Both numbers were done at the muzzle.

joeg26er
07-11-18, 07:49
right- but the 30 cal suppressor on 556 were done on an AR

themonk
07-11-18, 07:54
right- but the 30 cal suppressor on 556 were done on an AR

I have watched the video. The 30 cal numbers are with a bolt gun and the 556 with an AR. Both numbers were done at the muzzle.

Right

themonk
07-11-18, 08:08
I would encourage you to listen to all the Q&A** podcasts. Especially the one with Mike Pappas - https://soundcloud.com/user-67208219/q-a-episode-6-mike-pappas-dead-air-armament

FYI - Kevin is a bit of a narcissist but he kinda has the right to be.

blade_68
07-11-18, 13:39
The outer Ti sleeve on mine did come loose but it has "relocked" solid probably from carbon lock. I haven't had the problem of endcap or ASR mount coming loose but did have both stuck. I won't say that it's the best due to I only have it and 7.62 SpecWar in 30 cal. I used silver antiseize when I take off endcap and replace them. I use it on 8.5, 12.5 300 B.O. and 10 in and up on 5.56, 308 on 18 in barrels. I have shot few 7.62x39 out of it but only a AR platform. I haven't seen any erosion problem but do use muzzle brakes on some rifles if not most.
Maybe not the best 30 cal suppressor but works for me. I'll be seeing how it works out with NVGs and thermal sight soon. After that I maybe looking for another one.

joeg26er
07-11-18, 16:52
I would encourage you to listen to all the Q&A** podcasts. Especially the one with Mike Pappas - https://soundcloud.com/user-67208219/q-a-episode-6-mike-pappas-dead-air-armament

FYI - Kevin is a bit of a narcissist but he kinda has the right to be.

Started listening to it. I did not know he was fired from SilencerCo! He sounds stoned

MistWolf
07-11-18, 19:04
I have two Omegas, both were originally directly mounted to short 5.56 ARs, one a 10.5" barrel, the other an 11.5" barrel and I've put a couple thousand rounds through both. I don't remove the Omegas often, but haven't noticed much erosion. I did replace the 10.5" barrel with an 11.5" barrel because I like the trajectory from the longer barrel better.

Recently, I replaced one direct mount with the ASR because I have been switching one Omega between the 11.5" 5.56 and the 308 caliber S&W M&P-10. The other remains a direct thread. I have not had any problems with the ASR coming loose.

The titanium sleeve on both Omegas came loose early on after getting them hot from shooting. I haven't done anything about it except tighten them up now and then. Any part that is loosened for any reason, will come loose when the Omega gets hot. I keep an eye on them and tighten things up as needed. After a couple of times tightening them, the parts stay tightened- until I loosen them up again.

What I like about the Omega is the direct thread option. The Omega weighs 14oz with the direct thread cap. There are other silencers that weigh as little as 14oz, but the mount adds another 4oz or more. (The Omega with the ASR end cap and ASR QD mount weighs 19oz. The ASR mount also adds to the overall length of the mounted Omega.) I do feel the difference in weight and length comparing the direct mount Omega with the ASR mounted Omega.

Outdoors, the shorty ARs with the Omegas are much quieter than without. They're comfortable to shoot without hearing protection when out hunting, or when "stump shooting". But I wouldn't shoot a full day of drills without hearing protection. If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would still buy the Omegas.

I've shot and heard other silencers. While I think any quality silencer will work, keep in my hearing is damaged from years of gunfire and working on aircraft.

boltcatch
07-13-18, 14:37

I think there is a difference between the manufacturer saying it's rated for FA down to a certain barrel length and providing a warranty for such (and nobody is questioning SiCo's warranty), and the can actually being suitable for that.

Based on my own experiences and reports from others using other attachment methods, my opinion is that the 3 prong flash hider may lead to accelerated wear, even on non-SBR barrels. If I had known that beforehand, I would have bought a different can.

I do wonder what difference we'd see with a much shorter 3-prong, or with the old SWR A2 style flash hiders. This could be nothing more than an issue with the design of the flash hider.

Mr McSimon
07-13-18, 15:21
I think there is a difference between the manufacturer saying it's rated for FA down to a certain barrel length and providing a warranty for such (and nobody is questioning SiCo's warranty), and the can actually being suitable for that.

Based on my own experiences and reports from others using other attachment methods, my opinion is that the 3 prong flash hider may lead to accelerated wear, even on non-SBR barrels. If I had known that beforehand, I would have bought a different can.

I do wonder what difference we'd see with a much shorter 3-prong, or with the old SWR A2 style flash hiders. This could be nothing more than an issue with the design of the flash hider.

So you're saying running the break is easier on the can? Ofc it would follow so would be direct mount?

300Blackout
07-13-18, 21:45
I have a 7.62 Omega and 7.62 Saker. They are like two different musical instruments with distinct sound characteristics. Seems the Saker is quieter than the Omega with a 6.5 Grendel, but on a bolt gun shooting 300 BLK subs, I can’t imagine a can that would sound “better” than the Omega. The tone, the decibels, it’s just the right can for that particular job.

Go figure.

So, my Omega lives on my Mod 7/AAC, 300 BLK pretty much permanently. It’s job is to silence the sound of 8.5 grains of powder pushing 240 grains of copper through pigs, and it loves its job.

I have used it on my SBR 300 BLK but can’t speak to the differences between it and the Saker as I didn’t do side by side comparison.

I like mine a lot. Would I buy another one? Probably not. I already have one. I also wouldn’t sell this one (if we lived in a world where you could easily sell them). I’d try another brand of can. See what else is out there. I wouldn’t buy two identical Gibson guitars, why buy two identical cans. I believe (and maybe I am off a bit) that some cans just sound better on different guns.

If you are afraid you will go wrong with it, well, you probably won’t. It’s a solid choice. But there are a lot of good cans out there, and a lot of choices and a lot of good advice here.

Good luck.

joshua_capitolarmory
07-19-18, 13:02
I believe (and maybe I am off a bit) that some cans just sound better on different guns.

You are correct. dB reduction is completely different than how cans sound. Some cans just sound amazing on specific guns, and not so good on others. Factor in hearing damage, preference in tone, etc... and it gets very complicated. I can tell you the Omega is more quiet than the Saker 762, and the Saker ASR 762 is more quiet than the Omega... but how that translates to your brain and if they sound "good" or not is personal preference.

300Blackout
07-19-18, 13:31
I went to New Mexico to hunt Antelope last year. I had two uppers in 6.5 Grendel (24” & 18”). One was tried and true, (bloodied the prior year by a nice 350 yard poke at a goat,) but it was long as a baseball bat. I built a second 18” one but time caught up with me and I didn’t have time to test it, so I took them both.

In camp I was shooting both and my buddy said, “Dude, that one is a lot quieter.” Pointing to the Saker ... Go figure right?

I’m not saying this to disagree with you, but to agree with you in that there are so many factors at play that make up what constitutes “quiet”. Caliber, barrel length, where he was standing, the Omega end cap baffles probably had something to do with it too.

I didn’t use that 18” Grendel on that hunt. Me and my buddy both found and stalked some big goats with my 24” Grendel and the Saker. Looking forward to this year. Going to try that 18” again. 24”+ can is a long gun to stalk goats with. 18 is too, but every inch helps.

joshua_capitolarmory
07-19-18, 13:52
I agree--- I do a fair amount of longer range hunting and run a 24" barrel on one rifle, and an 18 on another. The 18" is long, but completely manageable to hike around with and shoot off a tripod. The 24" is a bit big for hiking any significant distances.

joeg26er
07-19-18, 15:00
Well they sold out the day I went to check out so I’ll spend this money on a thermal setup

Mr McSimon
07-19-18, 16:32
Sold out? My LGS has them in stock, a webstore, and will match price. PM me if you want a lead to them. Also, check here....

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/817272014563?view=list

joeg26er
07-19-18, 17:15
They Sold out of the Omega and I wanted the SiCo Buy One Get One Deal which has expired.

Clint
07-25-18, 14:11
For those that are not fond of the ASR mount or the Key-mo, Q has a new mount for the omegas called the "Plan-B" that works with their Cherry Bomb taper system.

https://liveqordie.com/collections/accessories/products/plan-b

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1569/7921/products/TO_BE_NAMED_MOUNT_5jpg_2048x2048.jpg?v=1531426666

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1569/7921/products/IMG20180203170931021_2048x2048.jpg?v=1529346455