PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Sling for your camera?

MAP
10-25-08, 15:14
Just found this web site for camera straps. Reminds me of LAV's sling.

http://www.blackrapid.com/video.php?id=1

Mike

Damon
10-25-08, 15:37
That's a good find. It looks very interesting. I use an Optech strap. Another strap that looks good is the Upstrap.

Honu
10-25-08, 22:06
funny :)

when these came out I posted some of the 1 point slings on DWF
they have had some major problems with early hooks failing and cameras falling !!!

I have been a photographer for a while for a living :)

I like optech but usually wrap it around my wrist and only around my neck when changing lens or cards
unless I have two bodies on me

MAP
10-25-08, 22:55
funny :)

when these came out I posted some of the 1 point slings on DWF
they have had some major problems with early hooks failing and cameras falling !!!

I have been a photographer for a while for a living :)

I like optech but usually wrap it around my wrist and only around my neck when changing lens or cards
unless I have two bodies on me

Did they fix this? It looks like a good system.

Mike

Honu
10-26-08, 00:30
yeah they fixed it kinda ?

he issued this
Safety Precaution

To provide an extra measure of security we're now
including a plastic sleeve to prevent the hook gate
from opening accidentally. Please use the plastic sleeve
to insure the safety of your equpitment when using our
revolutionary camera strap.
If you have any questions regarding our plastic sleeve
please contact us at.

kinda weak fix if you ask me
if you look close you can see the tubing in the pics !

but there is a rumor a new clip will be out this month ?
looks kinda weak to hang my $7000 body with $2000 lens on !!!
http://www.blackrapid.com/images/product/connectr.jpg

the problem is the wedding industry has grown in huge leaps and there are a ton of people who bought a camera and now think they are photographers !

think I bought a Stag M4 now I am a soldier !!!

so I do think some items like this are a bit cheap or not as well thought out and more about getting to market and price than quality

lets say there are more than a few who have had their pro cameras hit the deck !!!!

others are using those small locking stainless type caribeaner clips
the ones you can screw the gate closed on
they use a triangle one on the strap then a normal hoop one to the camera

some have been replacing them with other hooks of their own choice or taping etc..

it has come down to those that love them and those that hate them !!!

I think the idea is good but I wont trust it and I know many wont either
sadly at this point I would rather have a optech or other
or better yet try to rig my own up :) and use a quality sling and clip of some kind
but then again my gear is my life

so its kinda like the guy that goes to the range to have fun and plink with friends is not going to have the same needs as a guy in the sandbox or a guy who is a instructor type training or some of those really hard core types etc..

its all about your level and your use :)

I hate to trash any product but again this is one I will just say I would pass on at this point ;)

on that note also check out for something that looks like rail systems but is for cameras in a way
www.reallyrightstuff.com

I love and use their stuff and its top top notch

MAP
10-26-08, 16:16
Thanks for the info! Now I know who to IM for photo tips. ;)

Mike

Honu
10-26-08, 17:25
heheheh anytime :)

i have to get some pics of mine posted sometime ;)

I did underwater work for a long time and have some cool stuff

I dont like to post a few I have cause of what it is ? but might post some heavy watermarked versions when I got to dive and take photos on the USS Arizona
something nobody gets to do :)
have a cool shot of #1 turret guns with the low viz green of PH waters

Damon
10-27-08, 20:51
Ahh. Now I remember. Honu means turtle, right?

This thread made me think about converting an old single-point sling to a camera strap. There's hardware on the Upstrap website that might work.

http://upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLST

The only problem is my sling has 1.25" webbing and the hardware on Upstrap fits 1".

Honu
10-27-08, 21:42
yeah yeah its turtle :)
used to be a big free diver poke over 100 feet hold my breathe 4 minutes kind of free diver
and used to love to dive with the turtles etc.. so the nick Honu came from
and have about 5000+ dives under my belt as I was a scuba instructor for about 15 years

when I shot underwater for years I used a stainless or brass kinda dog clip something you have to open with a lever cause in wreck diving you dont want something catching on a line etc..
but then just used some small stuff like parachute cord in a loop to connect my clip to my flash plate (never had a flash on it just the plate)

but also that really right stuff site has lots of cool stuff

use a L plate on a camera and attache something to the loop of the L Plate

one thing on my one body that has my 70-200 lens I prefer the strap backwards so the lens points in !
this way its not sticking out catching things etc..
the other bodies have my strap setup normal

my reasons I like the optech strap is it has some bounce or give to it where the upstraps are more solid feeling

chadbag
10-27-08, 23:31
Guess you would need a MASH hook with a fastex buckle for QR use...

Or maybe the push button QR socket attached to the bottom of the camera body :-)

Chad

Damon
10-28-08, 21:07
Chad,

Those could work. I might try the paracord idea, though.

Bra,

Post up some pics. I would love to see them. I was an active scuba diver for about 3 years, but have not been in a long time. I took some wreck diving classes and did some wreck diving in Truk. :)

Honu
10-28-08, 23:06
that little icon shot is out of Chuuk (Truk) :) off the island of Eten its a betty bomber ;)
one of my fav places to dive for sure

PPGMD
10-29-08, 13:39
I use Optech on all my cameras, though this looks like an interesting idea, particularly for the case he gave, sports photographer using a monopod, it's much more secure then a Optech over a single shoulder.

I might have to give it a try.

photosniper
10-29-08, 23:02
Kinda cool idea but way too expensive for a camera strap. Nothing beats a Domke.
I've been using the same three straps for nearly 20 years, just move them from camera to camera. Don't know how you guys can use Optech, I can't stand the way the cameras bounce around while walking or running.

Honu
10-30-08, 01:38
Kinda cool idea but way too expensive for a camera strap. Nothing beats a Domke.
I've been using the same three straps for nearly 20 years, just move them from camera to camera. Don't know how you guys can use Optech, I can't stand the way the cameras bounce around while walking or running.

I like the way it absorbs :) I dont run to much walk quickly ? but I dont shoot for newspapers etc..

I used to shoot about 200 jobs a year though so quite a bit of wear and my straps only last a few years and are toast and have to replace them but I guess thats why they make all kinds :) as some people love one way or the other

also I really do mostly wrap it around my wrist when I am with one camera and don't use them around my neck that much unless I am carrying the secon on me

Ryo
10-31-08, 18:09
I saw that the other day.. I was thinking of trying to build something like that.. Looked like a really good idea.. of course taken from the gun world.

Lefties are stealing our ideas! :eek:

Honu
10-31-08, 23:04
but I shoot brides for a living :)

but am far from lefty :) although most are I agree sadly :(

whats funny is on this forum that could really be read as WRONG :) hehehehehehehehe