PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP: Junk or Jewel?

Doc Safari
06-25-18, 20:01
Well, in a few days of posting my request for opinions on the EC9s, I actually managed to snag a Ruger LCP from a little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays.

I haven't even fired it yet. It came with three mags and a shitload of ammo so I thought I'd roll the dice at 200 bucks.

Anybody care to expound on the virtues and/or faults of this teenie weenie pistol?

I'm liking the size. I've got my fingers crossed it's reliable and not a jam-o-matic joke.

It IS one of the second generation LCP's (no dash in the serial number)--but my experience with 380's has been, shall we say, un-thrilling.

What say you? Junk or jewel?

wigbones
06-25-18, 21:09
They can be a bit snappy when shooting and therefore tough to keep a solid grip because of the small size. I would recommend the LCP Hogue grip for it. It makes a huge difference. That and the finger extension on the mag.

Bantee
06-25-18, 21:10
I have a first gen LCP with 1200 rnds through it..(no joke) mine has been surprisingly reliable?!? With everything from WWB to hollows..the trigger in mine has a weird..double reset thing going on, that takes some getting used to..but otherwise a fun little pistol, & great backup to your backup!!

26 Inf
06-25-18, 21:39
As I've posted before, I really like shooting my LCP. I got mine through Cabela's a couple years ago, they were deeply discounted and I had Cabela's bucks so what the heck.

This stuff was on sale, I'm on my fourth or fifth box: https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/handgun-ammunition/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104372280/null/2247664.uts?slotId=2

I use these for carry: https://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-SAUER-ELITE-PERFORMANCE-AMMO/1838183.uts

Here are two reviews: https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ammo-test-sig-sauer-elite-performance-380-acp-v-crown/

https://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/accessories/ammunition/articles/8517838-Testing-SIGs-Elite-Performance-Ammunition-in-380-Auto/

My ammo choices were based on the bulk stuff being on sale and the SIG Elite 90gr JHP because the practice stuff was labeled the same. As I mentioned, this was a spur of the moment decision, so I hadn't researched the HD ammo. The SIG Elite 90 JHP was reasonably priced so I picked up three boxes - to make sure it fed and to load mags. Later when I looked for reviews of the ammo, I was happy with my choice.

Once I knew the pistol functioned with the HD ammo, I ceased shooting it and have shot nothing but the 100gr Sig stuff, it is not so costly that I cant smuggle a carton of 200 whenever I need.

I have 4 mags for the LCP - two Ruger 7 round extended mags, and two with pinky floorplates. I leave one pinky and one of the extended loaded with HD rounds and use the other two for shooting.

The extended mags fit my hand perfectly - my pinky is not in contact with the mag at all - what I call the pinky floorplate has the gentle hook thing going and it aggravates me because it doesn't completely contact my ring finger. A smooth floorplate would be worthless, you'd be shooting the pistol with the same as a one finger grip.

Initially I shoot the first rounds from 5 yards. Impressed, moved back, impressed, moved back more, impressed. At 25 yards I was keeping them in the 10 inch upper center mass circle of our basic academy qual target - not saying perfect, but very few fliers.

Gripping the LCP was pretty intuitive, as I said with the 7 round extended grip my middle and ring finger are nicely supported and the grip ends 'just right' for my pinky to feel comfortable. I am able to grip it with the strong thumb almost parallel to the barrel and the support thumb parallel to the barrel resting/wedging against the frame rail - the tip of my thumb is pretty much level with the end of the slide. I roll my elbows out and up which roll the hands into the frame of the pistol. The whole thing is pretty much a Rob Vogel type grip with an itty bitty pistol. Works surprisingly well, the heels of my hands are together, and the overlap on the left side of the pistol doesn't interfere with getting on the trigger (I'm left handed).

I'm an old DA revolver shooter who made the transition to DA/SA pistols and then to striker-fired, so the DA trigger doesn't bother me at all. I shoot it okay one handed, but not as well at distance.

This is also not a pistol you are going to bust off .20 splits with, at least I am not.

My has a solid serial number - no dashes. It gets cleaned pretty regularly because I wont carry a dirty firearm. Nothing seems to be getting chewed up. Probably need to be thinking a bout a new recoil spring and maybe getting some spare parts.

Dennis
06-25-18, 23:02
I somehow ended up with two when they were authorized for carry and they have been surprisingly reliable with both our original XTP then Lawman 90gr TMJ duty ammo. It gets pretty linty on my ankle and pocket and every few months when I shoot them with no attempt at cleaning they cycle fine. I do blow them out whenever I remember which isn't often.

I painted the minimal sites red and can make hits on 10" steel at 50Y better than 50%. I even plink on 25" steel at 100Y. Obviously unrealistic for use but shows the accuracy potential. As previously stated the long DAO trigger precludes fast splits and you have to train to make sure you get a reset.

They work. Quoting the great Hilton Yam they are just fine as a "Seven and RUN" gun, although I think running is better started around number 2 or 3!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Uni-Vibe
06-25-18, 23:08
I recently bought one, for the specific purpose of carrying whilst doing athletic stuff. Fits that slot perfectly.

Cleaned, lubed (CLP), took it to the range. Fired Federal American Eagle and Estate Cartridge 95 grain FMJ. Not a hiccup. Totally trustworthy. It's a gun to carry when you can't carry anything bigger. Cost me $300 including extra magazines.

Doc Safari
06-26-18, 08:54
As I've posted before, I really like shooting my LCP. I got mine through Cabela's a couple years ago, they were deeply discounted and I had Cabela's bucks so what the heck.

This stuff was on sale, I'm on my fourth or fifth box: https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/handgun-ammunition/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104372280/null/2247664.uts?slotId=2

I use these for carry: https://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-SAUER-ELITE-PERFORMANCE-AMMO/1838183.uts

Here are two reviews: https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ammo-test-sig-sauer-elite-performance-380-acp-v-crown/

https://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/accessories/ammunition/articles/8517838-Testing-SIGs-Elite-Performance-Ammunition-in-380-Auto/

My ammo choices were based on the bulk stuff being on sale and the SIG Elite 90gr JHP because the practice stuff was labeled the same. As I mentioned, this was a spur of the moment decision, so I hadn't researched the HD ammo. The SIG Elite 90 JHP was reasonably priced so I picked up three boxes - to make sure it fed and to load mags. Later when I looked for reviews of the ammo, I was happy with my choice.

Once I knew the pistol functioned with the HD ammo, I ceased shooting it and have shot nothing but the 100gr Sig stuff, it is not so costly that I cant smuggle a carton of 200 whenever I need.

I have 4 mags for the LCP - two Ruger 7 round extended mags, and two with pinky floorplates. I leave one pinky and one of the extended loaded with HD rounds and use the other two for shooting.

The extended mags fit my hand perfectly - my pinky is not in contact with the mag at all - what I call the pinky floorplate has the gentle hook thing going and it aggravates me because it doesn't completely contact my ring finger. A smooth floorplate would be worthless, you'd be shooting the pistol with the same as a one finger grip.

Initially I shoot the first rounds from 5 yards. Impressed, moved back, impressed, moved back more, impressed. At 25 yards I was keeping them in the 10 inch upper center mass circle of our basic academy qual target - not saying perfect, but very few fliers.

Gripping the LCP was pretty intuitive, as I said with the 7 round extended grip my middle and ring finger are nicely supported and the grip ends 'just right' for my pinky to feel comfortable. I am able to grip it with the strong thumb almost parallel to the barrel and the support thumb parallel to the barrel resting/wedging against the frame rail - the tip of my thumb is pretty much level with the end of the slide. I roll my elbows out and up which roll the hands into the frame of the pistol. The whole thing is pretty much a Rob Vogel type grip with an itty bitty pistol. Works surprisingly well, the heels of my hands are together, and the overlap on the left side of the pistol doesn't interfere with getting on the trigger (I'm left handed).

I'm an old DA revolver shooter who made the transition to DA/SA pistols and then to striker-fired, so the DA trigger doesn't bother me at all. I shoot it okay one handed, but not as well at distance.

This is also not a pistol you are going to bust off .20 splits with, at least I am not.

My has a solid serial number - no dashes. It gets cleaned pretty regularly because I wont carry a dirty firearm. Nothing seems to be getting chewed up. Probably need to be thinking a bout a new recoil spring and maybe getting some spare parts.

Great info. Thanks.

Doc Safari
06-26-18, 08:57
It's a gun to carry when you can't carry anything bigger.

Yep. Exactly why I wanted it. Fits in my breast pocket for Pete's sake. Around here we have warm to hot weather about 8 months out of the year and you just don't want to try to CCW a large pistol with light summer clothing. My Glock 17 is my house and ranch handgun. Like everyone always says, "Better the small gun you carry than the larger one you had to leave at home."

Gunnar da Wolf
06-26-18, 09:40
In one adventure/spy novel I read as a young man a secondary character carried a Browning .25acp. When questioned about his decision he replied that no one questioned the caliber of the gun that was making loud noises at them in a gun fight. They all either run or take cover.

We had 5 or 6 guys carry LCP pistols as off duty / backup pistols and that model also regularly showed up at the CCW classes we offered to the public. I don’t remember any of them being problematic. Except that no one seemed to own more than one magazine and it was a PITA to hold up the firing line while they reloaded every six or seven rounds. Even the J frame guys knew enough to bring speedloaders.

ritepath
06-26-18, 09:41
Had my LCP for 5 or 6 years (just after the recall) and it may still be my favorite carry gun. While I admit I don't shoot it more than a few hundred times a year, it's been perfect for close to 4000 rounds now, other than a couple of ammo related failures. This little gun just works...

I need to buy another actually...

diving dave
06-26-18, 09:57
I bought one for my wife, as she liked the way it felt and was easy to conceal. But when it came time for shooting, she hated it. Long trigger and lack of sights had her all over the place. She later bought a LC9 which she loves. She wanted to dump the LCP, but like many of you when I started playing with it I kind of liked it. I added a Crimson trace laser to it, and for tossing in a pocket for quick runs to the grocery store its great.

RHINOWSO
06-26-18, 11:30
I have an original LCP bought when they first came out (2008 I think?) - it went back for the recall and I received a free magazine for my trouble.

Only had 1 malfunction with it (failure to go into battery) while wringing it out after the recall - about 200+ rounds into a 300 round torture test. The gun was hot, dry, tired, and my hand was sore. It's never done it again in maybe 1500-ish rounds.

It rusted like a SOB after carrying it in the mid-Atlantic heat moving a friend in the summer - had the slide refinished along with all the metal parts and it's never given me trouble since.

It's not a gun I like carrying but it's a great BUG in the offhand pocket or gun you carry when you can't break concealment at all and need to dress a certain way. Honestly in the last couple years I've maybe carried it 1-2 a year (weddings, funerals, etc) but shoot it 1-2 times a year regardless.

So for me its a niche' weapon but having beat on it for years, it's really done everything I've asked it to.

sundance435
06-26-18, 12:00
I had an original LCP. No issues with it from the first round and it only serves a very niche role for me, as well. The trigger sucked and the sights were worthless beyond 10-12, but I wasn't expecting anything more. I now have an LCP II that I've only put may 75 rounds through and its hung up several times. Might be mag related, but I haven't had time to shoot it again. The trigger on the LCP II is an improvement.

Doc Safari
06-27-18, 09:25
I got to shoot mine yesterday. I shot nine magazine fulls with ball ammo and two different flavors of hollow point (including Federal Hydra Shocks).

I DID NOT HAVE ONE MALFUNCTION OF ANY KIND.

Maybe 60 some-odd rounds isn't considered "vetted", but it's interesting to note that the only Glock 42 I've ever fired could not get through two full magazines of ANY type of ammo without a malfunction.

My verdict: JEWEL.

themighty9mm
06-27-18, 14:19
I have owned 2 of them. Both second gen guns, both blued. Both functioned flawless and I liked them alot. However both of them after relatively low round counts had pins that would walk out. Sometimes from shooting, sometimes just while in a pocket. Combine that with nearly constant rust issues (during the summer) sometimes even after an hour or 2 or carry. Needless to say, I no longer own one.

Doc Safari
06-27-18, 14:24
I have owned 2 of them. Both second gen guns, both blued. Both functioned flawless and I liked them alot. However both of them after relatively low round counts had pins that would walk out. Sometimes from shooting, sometimes just while in a pocket. Combine that with nearly constant rust issues (during the summer) sometimes even after an hour or 2 or carry. Needless to say, I no longer own one.

What are you calling "relatively low round counts?" I don't think very many people look at an LCP as a gun capable of surviving five or six thousand rounds.

themighty9mm
06-27-18, 15:01
What are you calling "relatively low round counts?" I don't think very many people look at an LCP as a gun capable of surviving five or six thousand rounds.

Its been a few years at this point, but between 300-500 rounds. It wasn't something I shot very often.

Jermedic
06-27-18, 15:09
I have owned one for a couple years and like it. It has never given my a problem, although I only have around 600 rounds through it. I was surprised at how accurate it is considered it's size and tiny sights. Like others have said, it is a great carry piece for when I can't carry my G19 for whatever reason.

JusticeM4
06-27-18, 19:22
They're good little guns. Reliable if you get a good one, and from the sound of it you got a great deal with the mags and ammo.

I've had one before and it was great for deep concealment or pocket carry.

gunnut284
06-28-18, 04:54
Mine has been completely reliable through the couple hundred rounds I’ve shot and more accurate than I expected. I only carry it as a backup but I trust it. It’s an original model from about two years after introduction.

MStarmer
06-30-18, 15:44
Mine was completely reliable, easy to shoot and carry. A little snappy but I didn't think it was that bad, I did add a Hogue grip on it. The only other mod I did was paint a white dot on the front. Compared to my previous Kel-Tec the LCP was a dream. Only reason I sold it was a friend wanted / needed it more than me. I can't say I'm not tempted by the looks of the newest versions though. One of the few Ruger autos that actually look good.

turnburglar
06-30-18, 21:17
Originally bouhgt one for the wife. While it was reliable, it had a dreadful trigger and not really any suitable sights. Ended up selling it after 2 years of purse or pocket carry. It's replacement is a shield in 9mm. Couldnt be happier. I hated that the LCP was a 380. I like standardized ammunition.

jb7304
07-07-18, 08:09
I recently purchased a Ruger LCP Custom which has upgraded sights and trigger. I am amazed at the accuracy of this pistol out to 25 yards. I had 8 or 9 failures to return to battery in the first 100 rounds using Remington UMC ammo. A tap of the magazine returned the slide to battery and I was able to continue firing it. I have put 200 rounds of WWB and 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense ammo through it with no malfunctions. I'm hoping it was a break in issue or that the pistol doesn't run well on the Remington UMC ammo. Has anyone found that their LCP was sensitive to different brands of ammo?

Another 100-200 rounds of trouble free shooting and I will start to carry it as a backup on duty.

KUSA
07-07-18, 15:20
If you have an LCP, do yourself a favor and get a heavier recoil spring. It’s cheap and easy to install.

It will improve the felt recoil and will also increase the reliability of it especially when chambering hollow points.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/ruger-lcp-recoil-springs-prod42416.aspx

Uni-Vibe
07-07-18, 21:45
Thanks for the tip. I may just do that. Mine works perfectly right out of the box with Federal 95 grain FMJ, but a little extra recoil spring might not hurt.

I use FMJ only, because I think that with marginal rounds, certain penetration is better than iffy expansion.

556BlackRifle
07-08-18, 00:22
Mine's been a jewel. I've pocket carried it for several years. Had a few FTFs when first new - since then, it's been running fine. Great little BUG for my G19.

nick84
07-10-18, 01:40
I've had an LCP for about 5 years. Can't say for certain because I've paid little attention to it. No complaints though, when I have shot it it has been flawless. Hard for me to shoot very accurately at range with its six hundred yard trigger pull, but I've always figured that it's a gun I won't plan on using until I'm practically sticking into someone's eyeball or ear.

In my opinion, its usefulness has been supplanted by the G43. If I'm going to handle a snappy single-stack, I'd prefer to be up to full power 9mm para. The G43 is obviously bigger, and doesn't quit fit into a pocket as the LCP does, but since I've had the G43 the LCP has sat in the safe. I'm not sure I would spend much time or money on one now, but I would have taken the deal that OP had as well.

Doc Safari
07-10-18, 09:05
I sort of negate complaints about the sights. It's a belly gun. It's the gun you draw when avoiding the fight is not an option--like if the perp is already in your face.

I plan to stick to hollow points with rounder nose profiles, but I may study up some more on FMJ vs. expanding bullets. I know in the past I've read articles that some people are of the opinion that .380 is fine with ball ammo because of penetration and lack of reliability with hollow points.

voiceofreason
07-11-18, 17:58
In one adventure/spy novel I read as a young man a secondary character carried a Browning .25acp. When questioned about his decision he replied that no one questioned the caliber of the gun that was making loud noises at them in a gun fight. They all either run or take cover. .

I never thought of it that way. I don't envision bad guys NOT taking cover or running when shot at.

Morpheus171
07-11-18, 19:54
My LCP has been flawless. Dispenses Underwood XTPs and EPs just fine.

AndyLate
07-28-18, 06:43
Kind of a necro-post, but didn't want to start a new thread...

I have been tempted by the LCP for quite some time but could never justify paying the asking price for a gun that almost certainly would never be used for its primary purpose (defending myself and my family) and that I know will not be enjoyable to shoot or help me become a better marksman.

Yesterday I saw the LCPs were priced at $170 in a local gunshop. That is the price point I always felt they should sell for, so I picked one up.

My son and I are going to the range with it tomorrow for a shakedown run and plan to fire 100-150 rounds.

If it proves reliable, the gun will definitely fill a hole in my concealed carry selection. It seems shockingly tiny and so much easier to conceal than my G19 or SP-101.

Andy

P.S. It was nice of Ruger to include a pocket holster, not so nice to sell the gun with a single magazine.

JusticeM4
07-28-18, 08:43
Kind of a necro-post, but didn't want to start a new thread...

I have been tempted by the LCP for quite some time but could never justify paying the asking price for a gun that almost certainly would never be used for its primary purpose (defending myself and my family) and that I know will not be enjoyable to shoot or help me become a better marksman.

Yesterday I saw the LCPs were priced at $170 in a local gunshop. That is the price point I always felt they should sell for, so I picked one up.

My son and I are going to the range with it tomorrow for a shakedown run and plan to fire 100-150 rounds.

If it proves reliable, the gun will definitely fill a hole in my concealed carry selection. It seems shockingly tiny and so much easier to conceal than my G19 or SP-101.

Andy

P.S. It was nice of Ruger to include a pocket holster, not so nice to sell the gun with a single magazine.

Single mag is a cost-saving measure. Otherwise, it would cost $200 new. Mags are $20-25 depending where you get them.

I bought a LCP new for $199 a couple of years ago to try it since my single stack 9mm's were still too large for summer carry (Shield9, G43). The LCP is perfect in the pocket and is so tiny that it looks like a celphone. Mine was reliable.

If you're expecting to become a better marksman (on a pocket pistol?) you clearly may have misunderstood the point of this gun. Its a point-n-shoot pistol for SD ranges of 7-10yards. If you can make COM hits at that range, thats good enough.

jack crab
07-28-18, 09:12
I have had a Colt Pony Pocketlite (basically a 1911 DAO scaled down to .380) since the 1990s. It has been 100% good. However, due to size and weight, it is relegated to briefcase duty.

A few years back, Kahr sponsored side matches at some competitions I shot. I liked them enough to get some to test. I ordered the micro and medium sized .380. As I was checking out at the gun store, I saw the LCP and told the clerk to throw that in too.

Now, the LCP was just a cheap after thought. I really wanted the Kahrs. However, after several range trips, reality set in. The LCP has flawlessly run a half dozen or more different SD loads of differing bullet weights, e.g., gold dots, hydrashocks, etc., even when mixed loaded in the magazine, and a couple different cheap FMJs to include some rough European stuff.

I have not had the chance to shoot the 200, 500, 6000, or whatever the break in is for Kahr. They still don't reliably go into battery on every shot. One Kahr preferred one ammo, the other a different brand.

I carry the LCP in a DeSantis pocket holster. It is my counter gun. It sits on the counter by my car keys and gets dropped in a pocket if there is nothing else anytime I go out the door.

It is not "the best" at a lot of things, but for what it is best suited for, it is a jewel.

prdubi
07-28-18, 09:23
Get a high pound recoil spring. And hogue crimson trace grip.

Gets rid of snappy and tames recoil.

Change recoil guide rod to steel also.

I carry mines with 2 reloads and it does well with Hornady defense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AndyLate
07-28-18, 11:47
If you're expecting to become a better marksman (on a pocket pistol?) you clearly may have misunderstood the point of this gun. Its a point-n-shoot pistol for SD ranges of 7-10yards. If you can make COM hits at that range, thats good enough.

I was not clear - I mean that the LCP's sole purpose is self defense, without a secondary use as a target or training gun.

Andy

UDPDATE - My wife and I headed to the range today and shot 162 rounds through my new LCP. The trigger and sights are decent, given the purpose of the pistol and I am actually looking forward to shooting it again. Neither my wife or I thought it was painful to shoot.

My wife shot 2 fmj rounds, the pistol failed to eject for her both times and she quit it for my Glock 19. I shot around 80 trouble free rounds, including 12 rounds of Hornady 90 grain XTP.

As the session went on, my hands started getting fatigued. I had 2 malfunctions toward the end of the second 50 round box, and a few malfunctions in the third. I am confident all the malfunctions were shooter induced. My hands were just worn out from grasping the tiny grip.

ChattanoogaPhil
08-05-18, 16:00
Jewel

https://i.imgur.com/Cydzlx1.jpg

Ron3
08-06-18, 23:30
A relative carried one of these for awhile. Gen 1.

We were shooting it one day and I noticed he had JHP's in it. (Cor-bond maybe?) He said he hadn't fired any but had been carrying them. Yea, it failed to feed once or twice during that 6 round magazine. It ate the FMJ fine. Very uncomfortable to shoot and tries to walk out of your hand during rapid fire. About 30 rnds and its tedious. Best to wear a glove with this one.

Next time out he had it loaded with Winchester FMJ Flat-Nose. Nope. Failed to feed those well, too. So he was stuck with FMJ.

He got rid of it for a P3AT. It was more reliable, but also not fun to shoot. It also had a "false reset" that resulting in him firing a shot when he didn't intend to. At least it was pointed at the ground. He thought he had a dead trigger.

He then wanted my Kel-tec P32. I should have kept it because it ran fine and was kind of fun to shoot. 7 and 9 rnd mags, lower recoil, last round hold-open. He's had and carried that for years now. Despite serious neglect at times. (packed with lint, sweat on, rusty, dry) it's never missed a beat after about 500 rnds. Pretty amazing.

Anyway, the best pocket pistols I've found and fired a bit are the Kel-tec P32, (10 oz, 8 or 10 shots) the S&W Bodyguard .380 (15 oz IIRC, 7 shots) and the Beretta .25 acp Jetfire. (10 oz, 9 shots) The Beretta is by far the most accurate and fastest to fire with it's single-action trigger.

Never fired the gen 2 LCP but with that light trigger I wouldn't feel comfortable with it riding in a pocket holster ready to go.

So, no interest in the gen 1 LCP from me.

hotrodder636
08-06-18, 23:34
They are a very niche gun for a very limited purpose IMO. I don’t have an LCP but i have a P3AT for deep concealment. It works for what it is.

el_chupo_
08-07-18, 21:51
To add to the chorus, Ive had 2. One was stolen about 6 years ago when it was in my truck while at work (and I recently got a call from a detective that said it had shown up several states away about a month ago, so I may get it back) and then bought another. Stupidly reliable in my experience, which is mostly ball and a box or two of hollowpoints to verify reliability with those.

As mentioned, if you dont need the thin profile, a slip on rubber sleeve or the Hogue grip for it make it much nicer to hold.

Texaspoff
08-13-18, 07:54
I have two of them as well. My first one with the hard chrome finish, and a second standard black version. Both have been 100% reliable with all type of ammo. They are my OSGOM pistols. I carry a 19X or 19 off duty all the time supplemented by one of the LCPs. For what they are, they are great little pistols.

TXPO

Doc Safari
08-13-18, 09:07
What does OSGOM mean?

TriggerFish
08-13-18, 11:05
Another jewel. I finally bought an LCP when Ruger (Prescott, AZ factory) offered an AZ Centennial Commemorative model in 2012. The frame is supposed to be "copper" color with AZ logos on slide.
https://i.imgur.com/0SS7OpD.jpg
100% reliable for me and it replaced my 642 that was my hot weather CCW for 20 years.

signal4l
08-13-18, 11:20
I have been carrying an LCP for several years in a pocket holster as a back up gun. I just tried the LCP 2. Much nicer. I may be upgrading

Arik
08-13-18, 12:19
Broke down and bought one on Saturday. Used LCP custom. Needed something for when walking my dog or running to the store in gym shorts. The 642 was too heavy and bulky for that and everything else required a belt and holster.

Not a big fan of these but it's a cool little gun. Definitely has it's place. Now just trying to figure out what ammo to use

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Texaspoff
08-13-18, 13:28
What does OSGOM mean?

Oh-S*&t-Get-Off-Me...…:)

TXPO

RHINOWSO
08-13-18, 14:08
Now just trying to figure out what ammo to use

Hornady or Fiocchi XTP.

Doc Safari
08-13-18, 14:13
BTW: I like this pocket holster.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N2JQWO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far it has worked with every piece of clothing I've worn. I have it in my front pants pocket right now. I line the pocket with a plain white handkerchief first (partly to keep sweat off it), and you can't tell it's anything gun-related in my pocket. The gun is so light I forget it's there.

I've tried that holster in a Dickies shirt breast pocket also. It's doable but I prefer the pants pocket.

Now I have Elsie Pea with me whenever legal.

Ron3
08-14-18, 14:21
Another jewel. I finally bought an LCP when Ruger (Prescott, AZ factory) offered an AZ Centennial Commemorative model in 2012. The frame is supposed to be "copper" color with AZ logos on slide.
https://i.imgur.com/0SS7OpD.jpg
100% reliable for me and it replaced my 642 that was my hot weather CCW for 20 years.

Alright. That's pretty cool.

Ron3
08-14-18, 14:22
Oh-S*&t-Get-Off-Me...…:)

TXPO

I wasn't sure, either.

AndyLate
08-14-18, 15:12
BTW: I like this pocket holster.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N2JQWO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far it has worked with every piece of clothing I've worn. I have it in my front pants pocket right now. I line the pocket with a plain white handkerchief first (partly to keep sweat off it), and you can't tell it's anything gun-related in my pocket. The gun is so light I forget it's there.

I've tried that holster in a Dickies shirt breast pocket also. It's doable but I prefer the pants pocket.

Now I have Elsie Pea with me whenever legal.

Hi, Doc

How is the "sticktion" on that holster? Does it reliably stay in the pocket when you draw?

I can tell you the free Ruger holster I got with my LCP was worth every penny, it got slippery after a day of use.

Thanks
Andy

Doc Safari
08-14-18, 15:24
Hi, Doc

How is the "sticktion" on that holster? Does it reliably stay in the pocket when you draw?

I can tell you the free Ruger holster I got with my LCP was worth every penny, it got slippery after a day of use.

Thanks
Andy

So far it's been good to go even after getting sweaty walking around the ranch all day.

AndyLate
08-14-18, 19:57
Thanks!

Andy

prdubi
09-02-18, 16:26
They are snappy...

But with a higher rated recoil spring...at 17lbs. It is comfy..
Hogue grips for CTC laser grip helps.
Carry mines everywhere with a Black Label Holster LLC double trouble mag holster in my left pocket..

AndyLate
09-02-18, 18:03
They are snappy...

But with a higher rated recoil spring...at 17lbs. It is comfy..

Where did you find a 17 lb recoil spring?

I have 300 rounds through mine now. Somewhere north of 150, it became reliable. In the LCP's defense, I was using some very poor Federal FMJ at first.

The supplied 6 round mag won't let the first round chamber without bumping the rear of the slide, so I called Ruger and they sent me another. I will test it tomorrow.

The outer recoil spring was kinked after the first 100 rounds, so I picked up a Wolfe 13 lb set from Midway when I ordered the 7 mags. I know everyone says the heavier spring reduces recoil, but the only difference I could see was slightly less energetic ejection.

The extended 7 round Ruger mags are definite winners, they let me get two fingers on the grip, but I carry it with the 6 rounder.

Andy

prdubi
09-03-18, 09:50
My mistake...
It is 13lbs. Not 17..

I also did a stainless steel guide rod.