PDA

View Full Version : USGI Mag Differences...

Razorhunter
10-25-08, 18:30
Can someone explain to me the differences (if any?) between a DSG mag, and a D&H mag (sold by Bravo Company) ???
I know I've seen a BLACK finished DSG mag listed at GR Tactical forever now, but they never seem to be in stock. I don't care for grey mags, so I was hoping to find some black ones, to purchase, and compare to the D&H mags I get from BCM.
What are the differences?

Finally, WHO else is making USGI mags these days??? I know of the following:

1. DSG (know nothing about them really, although I hear they are quality though)

2. D&H sold by BCM (quality mags, but not sure I've ever been crazy about their springs, which seem flemsy and a bit cheap. Usually have white crap flaking off of them. If they came with an ISMI spring, they would be the TOP USGI mag I've ever seen. I still like them though, and will continue to buy, unless I can find a better made mag) One other thing to note is that they BCM says they are made on the original "Labelle Tooling", and I cannot remember exactly WHAT this means? I read it once, but have forgotten. Not sure if any other manuf's mags are made, or have been made in the past on this "Labelle tooling"???

3. CProducts (have quite the shaky existence. Mixed feelings from many users. You either love em or you hate em. I hate em)

4. Hk High Reliability Steel mags (overpriced, but have always worked well for me. I won't pay the price for more though. Only own a couple)

5. Brownells mags. I also cannot remember if Brownells makes these in-house, or if they are sub'd out to some other manufacturer??? I really wish Brownells offered these in BLACK and not light grey/FDE. I have never owned any of these, and do not know how their springs compare to the DSG and D&H mags. ???

6. NMTG? (not sure if this is correct terminology, but I know nothing about these. I was THINKING they were the same mag as one of the others listed above, but not sure????)

7. Colt mags. (Nothing special IMO, grey colored only. Not for me, but probably great mags if a Magpul follower is used.)

Are there any other USGI mags I'm forgetting here guys?
For that matter, anyone care to comment on the mags up above? I would like to get answers to the few questions I have above, especially regarding the comparison between DSG, D&H, NMTG and the Brownells mags.

PS.

If anyone knows of a "Master USGI" comparison thread, that I might have missed over the years, by all means, let me know. I figured there MIGHT be one, that I have possibly somehow missed? Would appreciate it, if anyone knows of one in existence on this forum??
As always, thanks guys.

KLR_Redux
10-25-08, 19:47
Small piece of the puzzle

DSG = D&H see:

http://dsginc.com/armsproducts_dsgmag.htm

and

http://dsginc.com/armsproducts_DH.htm

Oh, I just found this. Way cool:
http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=25

Razorhunter
10-25-08, 20:03
Ok, I TOTALLY did not know that the DSG and D&H mags were the same, (or at least that they use the same mag body.)
Anyhow, that third link you posted is some SWEET pricing on the mags. I was unaware that they could be had for $10 each, and that is WITH a Magpul follower!
Thanks for sharing bro!

Now,
Does anyone care to comment on #'s 5, 6, and 7 up above, and how they may differ (if at all) from each other???
Also, are there ANY other USGI mag manufacturers that I've missed, or am leaving out, that we should know about???

KLR_Redux
10-25-08, 20:10
I was unaware that they could be had for $10 each, and that is WITH a Magpul follower!

Until I found the link about ten minutes ago, so was I! :D

I paid considerably more for my DSG mags from Brigade Quartermaster even with the discount for ordering through AAFES.

Of course, this was before the PMAG addiction.

mtk
10-25-08, 20:36
As I understand things, Brownell's AR mags have a mil-spec "DoD Purchasing Number*" attached to them, meaning they are one of the few suppliers that Uncle Sam can buy magazines from for the military.

* I'm not up, at all, on DoD purchasing so I'm quite sure the above isn't the correct term for it.

With all that said, from what I've researched there are several companies that make DoD-approved AR magazines. They are Okay, D&H, and Brownell's for sure. There probably are others too, but like I said I'm far from a DoD procurement expert. I'd swear there is a third company, but see my previous comment as to why the name excapes me at the moment.

Personally, I've got a stock of PMAG's and some Brownell's tactical magazines right now. I plan on adding some more PMAG's and some Okay or D&H magazines before November 4th. If that was unclear, I mean to say that I plan on adding some mil-spec "metal" magazines and some PMAG's (the only non-mil-spec mag I'd consider buying) before the election.

If it comes down to it, go to the Daniel Defense website and look up one of their MK RIS II rails. It will have the DoD number I mentioned. Now that you know what you're looking for, go magazine shopping for mags with a similar number.

Razorhunter
10-25-08, 21:04
Are you referring to the NSN # perhaps?? Never knew DD RIS rails had a DOD #???

Robb Jensen
10-25-08, 21:13
I think he's referring to a CAGE code. Magpul/Daniel Defense/ADM/Brownells and many other companie have CAGE codes but not NSNs. For example Brownells has a CAGE code for the USGI 30 round magazine, Glock has a NSN for the Glock 17 pistol.

A CAGE (http://www.dlis.dla.mil/CAGEserv.asp) code and NSN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Stock_Number) aren't the same thing.

cathellsk
10-25-08, 22:03
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19838&highlight=brownells

FYI....Okay Ind./NHMTG/Colt.....all the same, different names.
Brownells is GTG, and I'd like to get some.
MagPul PMAGS are what I mainly use now.
Labelle were GTG as I remember. I have about a dozen preban versions. They were teflon coated.

BTW....what spring in the Brownells mags would you guys recommend?
Standard stainless or the chrome silicon?

RD62
10-26-08, 13:33
Not that I really have anything to add about the individual makers, but wouldn't a simple can of Krylon or Alumahyde and about 10 min, fix the issue as far as prefering black to grey? I'd just get the ones from Bravo and rattle can them to my color preference. But that's just me.

Sorry to interrupt an otherwise informative thread! :D

-RD62

Razorhunter
10-26-08, 14:04
Sure it would work, but it's totally unecessary, now that we have found out DSG is the same as D&H, and BCM has plenty of black D&H mags.

RD62
10-26-08, 15:24
Well there ya go!

And thanks to everyone for all the info as to who makes what, and so forth!

-RD62

No.6
10-26-08, 15:49
KLR_Redux, thanks for the link!

KLR_Redux
10-26-08, 16:45
KLR_Redux, thanks for the link!

No problem. It is all thanks to my dumb luck. :D

Slater
10-26-08, 19:23
Uncle Sam will evidently only consider Brownell's or Okay Industries when buying 30 round mags:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=859c8468101b55f133a5ea4a1a6fc817&tab=core&_cview=0

Avenger11
10-27-08, 04:09
We have been getting in cases of 30rd. mags in at our FOB that have absolutely no stamp or markings on the floor plate. This is unusual as most of the mags in the past have the "Okay" stamp. Probably the same manufacturer, but there is no way to identify them now.

RogerinTPA
10-27-08, 11:20
Oh, I just found this. Way cool:
http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=25[/QUOTE]

Holy crap those are awesome deals on quality mags. I'm all over those!:cool:

markm
10-27-08, 11:51
Holy crap those are awesome deals on quality mags. I'm all over those!:cool:

Indeed. I had to close that window quickly before I spent more money.

KLR_Redux
10-27-08, 18:30
Indeed. I had to close that window quickly before I spent more money.

I offer my sincere apologies to your significant others. ;)

Or should that be "significants, other"?

mtk
10-27-08, 19:50
Are you referring to the NSN # perhaps?? Never knew DD RIS rails had a DOD #???

Yes, NSN number is what I meant.

The MkII RIS II doesn't have one that I can find, but the M4A1 RIS II does:

NSN 1005−01-547−2624 (right off the Daniel Defense website)

I thought the Brownell's mags had one as well, but I can't find it either.