PDA

View Full Version : Vltor casv

tumbleweed1002
10-25-08, 18:34
Is anyone using the Vltor casv hand guard and how do you like it? I am considering getting one for my mp15 I currently have a gg&g non free float rail syst.

Stickman
10-25-08, 20:25
I love mine, its rock solid.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_7555%201028%20Stick.jpg

C-Fish
10-25-08, 21:25
I like mine as well...I need to update my photos though.

Go for it.

sdacbob
10-27-08, 07:25
Mine's great too.

gogetal3
01-10-09, 13:40
Better late than never for a reply :rolleyes: I just bought my CASV-EL last week took it to the range spent 500ish rounds and wow. rock solid and perfect. perfect height for my aimpoint. I like my rifle to have that clean look. A solid FF rail system that allows you to pick and choose where you want to mount including the 45degree angles is awsome.

SecretAgentMan
01-10-09, 14:14
These things get bashed pretty regularly at TOS. I recall reading one report that said the U.S. Navy bomb disposal units in Iraq have had problems with the lower rail loosening up over time, requiring it to be zip-tied to the upper rail. Is this just a lot of FUD? I'd really like to know, because I'm trying to figure out what rail system to go with on my new mid-length uppers, and the CASV seems to have a lot going for it. It is definitely the cleanest looking rail system. I don't think I really care about the whole co-witnessing "issue".

At this point, I'm trying to decide between the Daniel Defense Omega, Larue Tactical, and VLTOR CASV.

gogetal3
01-10-09, 14:28
Well I don't know about them loosening up. I will read up on it. Post the link if you can. Don't suppose you could use some lock tight on the rear screws, or even bend the forend tabs to prevent them from coming undone. I'll never put it through the toughest challenges available. So for me, aesthetically, and functionally speaking it's perfect. Light, and customizable, comfortable to shoot. Became a bit warm but it was 65 degrees outside so that was nice :D

Stickman
01-10-09, 19:44
These things get bashed pretty regularly at TOS.

Unless its coming from a credible source, who cares what they say. AR15.com is the largest of the firearm sites. Because of that they are like a mountain that creates its own weather conditions, it tends to make a lot of internet people think that whatever is posted there is true simply because they have nothing else to relate to. For people who actually run a gun, its pretty evident that there is a lot of misinformation stated as fact over there. Then there are the companies that spread misinformation, which is another problem.

If you are looking for credible info, figure out where it comes from first. This site is better at getting rid of the BS.

SecretAgentMan
01-10-09, 21:14
Unless its coming from a credible source, who cares what they say. AR15.com is the largest of the firearm sites. Because of that they are like a mountain that creates its own weather conditions, it tends to make a lot of internet people think that whatever is posted there is true simply because they have nothing else to relate to. For people who actually run a gun, its pretty evident that there is a lot of misinformation stated as fact over there. Then there are the companies that spread misinformation, which is another problem.

If you are looking for credible info, figure out where it comes from first. This site is better at getting rid of the BS.

I totally agree. The fact that I've seen threads on TOS bashing the CASV is precisely why I asked for opinions here.

If someone at TOS told me to point the gun downrange, I'd probably point it at my head. ;)

Ring
01-10-09, 22:57
i like mine

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/8337/guns131mediumqh8.jpg

nfranco
01-11-09, 10:32
I love mine, its rock solid.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_7555%201028%20Stick.jpg

Very nice! I'm starting to build my first AR and this is the rail/stock/grip configuration I'm thinking about. Nice to see it all together.
thanks, nick

Obiwan
01-11-09, 12:28
I have had one for about a year

It is still rock solid- I love it!

gogetal3
02-07-09, 19:31
Lightweight and I love the fact that there isn't a bunch of unused rails that are uncomfy. Also it retains a clean look

SecretAgentMan
02-08-09, 11:43
Is it possible to get a full co-witness with the Aimpoint Micro when using the Vltor CASV?

sdacbob
02-08-09, 13:29
I get a full co-witness with an Aimpoint C3 on a low profile mount and MI's ERS buis.

gogetal3
02-08-09, 15:38
I use the YHM rear buis, no problems here on the co-witness

C4IGrant
02-08-09, 15:43
Is anyone using the Vltor casv hand guard and how do you like it? I am considering getting one for my mp15 I currently have a gg&g non free float rail syst.

I run the middy version and love it.

C4

geminidglocker
02-08-09, 16:33
I plan on getting one,if loosening of anything becomes an issue,..well is'nt that what God invented loctite and drill&tap sets for????For the price and versitility it's gonna get my hard earned money.I mean come on,I dropped a grand on my stock rifle,should'nt I take chances on accessories to test for the best?

gogetal3
02-08-09, 18:40
Well put. As someone else once suggested on this site. you can always sell what you don't like.

m-w
02-08-09, 19:11
How comfortable is this system to shoot without a vertical grip? Is heat an issue compared to standard handguards or railed hanguards with covers? I've been looking into one of these in a midlength setup.

gogetal3
02-08-09, 19:16
How comfortable is this system to shoot without a vertical grip? Is heat an issue compared to standard handguards or railed hanguards with covers? I've been looking into one of these in a midlength setup.

good question.....It gets warm of course, but I've not had an issue with it being to hot.....its very smooth and I find it comfy

bigc3031
02-08-09, 20:06
I love mine, I own two and have had no problems what so ever!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/bigc3031/Guns/IMG_2527.jpg

m-w
02-08-09, 20:28
good question.....It gets warm of course, but I've not had an issue with it being to hot.....its very smooth and I find it comfy

Thanks for the response. I was curious after reading stories about the metal handguards for the FAL that required an oven mitt to hold after a few magazines! :D

gogetal3
02-09-09, 16:32
No oven mitts here. I shoot holding the Vltor Casv el and using the foregrip as more of a brace for my hand. So I continuously hold the handguard through out my sessions. Never been hot just warm.