PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Get So Pissy When You Correct Their Auction Info...?

SteyrAUG
06-26-18, 23:29
From Gunbroker to Ebay I run into it constantly.

People selling WWII H&R M1 Garands so you send them a message telling them H&R didn't make rifles during WWII so they won't look like a complete tard and they will either insist that their rifle was in fact one of the ones made during WWII or they will come back with some half assed shit about how theirs is set up to look like a WWII production rifle (which would be retarded because if you were going for "period correct" you wouldn't use an H&R).

Don't even get me started with vintage commercial Lugers being sold as military WWI or WWII Lugers. It's like people can't understand that their 1920s production Luger couldn't possibly have actually seen service in WWI and it was extremely unlikely that it was imported to the US and then made it's way back to Germany for military service in WWII and was then reimported into the US. But they will absolutely tell you to F Off since they know "for a fact" that it belonged to their Grandfather who of course brought it back from the war, typically in association with D-Day, The Battle of the Bulge or some other equally famous event.

I've stopped trying to buy Japanese swords on egay because of the blatantly fake China Forgeries, they should actually stamp them "China Forge" as an ironic factory name. But if I message somebody about their Genuine 16th Century Samurai Sword and point out the engravings should be "engraved" and not machine stamped they get pissy. In one case somebody had a genuine WWII vintage Gunto (military sword) that they believed was an "ancient samurai sword" from the 17th century and I pointed us that pre Meiji (made prior to 1868) swords typically weren't serial numbered he actually canceled my bid because I was wrong and he was right and his sword was easily worth $10,000 (which means I should have been easily outbid anyway) because he had it checked out by experts.

Even more fun is the vintage martial arts stuff I collect. Seems every single pair of nunchaku or sai I run across is 1930s vintage. Never mind that the first company in Japan to make such things as a production factory item didn't start making them until 1968 and before that everything was custom or hand made items. But don't tell that to the seller because otherwise you are calling them, or their father, or their grandfather a liar because he brought them back from Japan after the war so they had to be made in the 1930s.

I think I'm going to put a tree branch on a lathe and list it as "antique karate bo staff, hundreds of years old and hand made by a famous karate master" cause that tree has been in the back yard for a long damn time. Might even break out my 70s vintage wood burner and put some kanji on it because that will prove it's an antique.

SeriousStudent
06-26-18, 23:35
Don't forget to mention that you personally harvested the wood for that staff from the only tree left standing on Mount Suribachi.

SteyrAUG
06-27-18, 01:13
Don't forget to mention that you personally harvested the wood for that staff from the only tree left standing on Mount Suribachi.

Correction, my grandfather did. ;)

militarymoron
06-27-18, 09:23
I think that the sellers/scammers know exactly what they have, and are just hoping to find suckers who don't know the difference.

RetroRevolver77
06-27-18, 10:29
There's a market for fake vintage martial arts equipment? As in people actually buy nunchucks and throwing stars over the age twelve? How did I miss this opportunity?!?

HeruMew
06-27-18, 10:58
I think that the sellers/scammers know exactly what they have, and are just hoping to find suckers who don't know the difference.

This, exactly.

It's not just limited to those types of items.

Vintage lighters and flashlights I have gotten blocked/reported from people for pointing out their items are not as they say. The worst was a Mossberg 500 barrel that was dremel ported right above the magtube cap. I asked them what they expected to accomplish with the porting being on the bottom of the barrel, and what kind of integrity we can expect with constant blast of a 12 gauge onto the magtube cap.

He replied very angrily, asking me to provide my engineer credentials as an "expert", and that he didn't pprt the barrel, he's just selling it. So, I than asked him if he really should be marketing the shoddy worksmanship as "custom" and if they really should be charging 119.99 for a bubba'd barrel that could be a safety problem for the user.

He didn't take to kindly to that, needless to say, he sold the barrel to some moron.

Averageman
06-27-18, 11:52
Because they are scamming less knowledgeable people?
They may not always know better, but if you correct them and direct them toward a reference to confirm their error and they still get pissy?
It's simply a scam.
These online auctions are full of scams or people sniping to drive prices up at the last minute, pretty disappointing.

Sam
06-27-18, 12:21
I have a genuine numbchuck that was owned by a guy name Chen back in the early 20th century in Shanghai. It was the exact one he used to defeat an entire karate dojo. It's for sale if anyone is interested :)

Honu
06-27-18, 14:33
much like a thief gets mad when they get stopped :) much like the scammer at the door who has a extra alarm install system from doing your neighbors gets you saying hang on as I dial 911 :)

scammers do not like to be called out anyone legit would be like thanks

SteyrAUG
06-27-18, 16:34
There's a market for fake vintage martial arts equipment? As in people actually buy nunchucks and throwing stars over the age twelve? How did I miss this opportunity?!?

LOL. Apparently you have not seen my FB page. And yeah, I collect legit stuff from the 70s and 80s when you could actually buy high quality stuff. Yes, I'm largely engaged in repurchasing my childhood for nostalgic purposes but it's still money better spent than getting a tattoo.

RetroRevolver77
06-27-18, 16:54
LOL. Apparently you have not seen my FB page. And yeah, I collect legit stuff from the 70s and 80s when you could actually buy high quality stuff. Yes, I'm largely engaged in repurchasing my childhood for nostalgic purposes but it's still money better spent than getting a tattoo.

Plus in a pinch you can actually use your nunchucks and kung fu against thirty cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb9PI4dJ5u4

Averageman
06-27-18, 18:06
Plus in a pinch you can actually use your nunchucks and kung fu against thirty cops.

And that young Troopers is why you Always wear your reflective PT belt. If he would have had it on, he would still be at large today!

SteyrAUG
06-27-18, 22:00

As dumb as that was, at least he was intelligent enough to drop the chucks from the get go or he would have been lit up hard.

SteyrAUG
06-27-18, 22:03
I have a genuine numbchuck that was owned by a guy name Chen back in the early 20th century in Shanghai. It was the exact one he used to defeat an entire karate dojo. It's for sale if anyone is interested :)

Didn't Huo Yuanjia make those?

Sam
06-28-18, 06:25
Didn't Huo Yuanjia make those?

There's no proof to that :) there's no maker's mark on it. Chen could have made it himself :)

The_War_Wagon
06-28-18, 08:43

Yeah - a.k.a., YOU'RE bad for their bottomline! :jester: