PDA

View Full Version : Israel to adopt a general issue camo uniform?

Slater
06-27-18, 22:05
A sign of the Apocalypse?

"It's official, the Israel Defense Forces are looking to switch over to camouflage uniforms. Israel has fielded olive drab uniforms since its creation and a switch to camo uniforms, while probably long overdue, is a big deal, ending it's iconic love affair with OD.

The IDF's technological and logistics Directorate, together with IDF Ground Forces have begun a new pilot program of new custom-developed camouflage uniforms that are being fielded already with several hundred troops. The new IDF camo uniforms feature rank, flag, unit and combat soldier patches and will be made of "advanced" breathable wicking fabrics."

https://agilitegear.com/blogs/news/breaking-news-the-idfs-new-camouflage-uniforms

BoringGuy45
06-27-18, 23:03
Well, I'll miss the OD uniforms, especially because the army girls look hot in them! ;)

SteyrAUG
06-27-18, 23:24
Well, I'll miss the OD uniforms, especially because the army girls look hot in them! ;)

Didn't really blend well with the environment though.

BoringGuy45
06-27-18, 23:37
Didn't really blend well with the environment though.

True. In all honesty, I never understood why a military that's nearly as well equipped and technologically advanced as our own is still wearing a uniform that has been obsolete since the 1970s.

MountainRaven
06-28-18, 00:51
OD isn't really obsolete and solid colors are quite effective. And the primary purpose of uniforms remains differentiating between friendly and enemy forces.

Circle_10
06-28-18, 02:15
Well, I for one won't worry until they stop putting green and black elastic bands on everything, at that point I will know the end times are truly upon us.

HardToHandle
06-28-18, 21:50
The IDF started down the signature reduction approach a good while back.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitznefet_(Israeli_military)

There also seems to be a lot of variation in terrain to account for in a relatively small country- open desert towards the south, mountainous desert in the east, verdant greenery, urban and the snowy ski slopes in the Golan Heights.

My guess that two patterns are still pretty major compromises.

HardToHandle
06-28-18, 22:14
True. In all honesty, I never understood why a military that's nearly as well equipped and technologically advanced as our own is still wearing a uniform that has been obsolete since the 1970s.

Honestly, because the IDF is so cheap might be part of the answer on why it has taken so long. With a large pool of limited-duty reservists eligibile for call-up until at least age 40, frequent conscript classes and a fairly constrained defense budget, less uniform is more.

Listen to the understandable bitchin’ when service uniforms or field uniforms change for a US service, especially when central issue is inadequate or junior officers need to buy a new wardrobe. It would be much worse when a majority of a male generation and a significant portion of female generation *should* purchase new uniforms for reserve duty, just in case Yom Kippur 1973 happens again and there is a total mobilization like nearly 50years ago.

Green vs. blue dollars likely figures somehow too - things have to be very economical in shekels not to be purchased with US aid. Whatever kibbutz is potentially losing the olive drab contract is going to have political implications.

Slater
06-28-18, 22:20
Interesting that they seem to be going for the whole "tapes and patches" look.

https://i.imgur.com/EoblTsUl.jpg

SteyrAUG
06-29-18, 01:06

They'd be better off with basic khaki like the Brits used to wear, even given the irony.

26 Inf
06-29-18, 10:49

https://i.imgur.com/EoblTsUl.jpg

I'm digging the two quart canteen shoulder strap sling and the potato digger mag set up.

Maybe that isn't an official IDF photo since it is on an equipment compny's website.

turnburglar
06-29-18, 18:24
It looks like what ACU was trying to be.

sidewaysil80
06-29-18, 19:18
Velcro patches look so sloppy to me. It's not that much of an inconvenience to sew them on...

SteyrAUG
06-29-18, 21:22
Velcro patches look so sloppy to me. It's not that much of an inconvenience to sew them on...

Not to mention they peel off and make noise at very inconvenient times and debris builds up on them if you really work in the dirt for a living.