PDA

View Full Version : Starting a purpose driven build

WickedWillis
06-30-18, 02:23
I very recently started putting some parts together to build by Mother an AR. She lives alone (most of the time) in fairly rural Montana. Over the last few years new and old predators in the area have expanded their territory and become much more bold, part of which is the booming Wolf population. As well as the fact a B&B just opened up on her road that will be bringing many more people into her area that normally wouldn't be there.

The idea to do this came about last winter. She had a Wolf pack pull down a decent sized buck in one of her horse pastures. She arrived home and unknowingly spooked them off, only to find the deer attempting to get up with a destroyed hind-end. She had one of the neighbors come out and help her shoot the deer. This really got me thinking about how much an AR platform rifle would be incredibly useful around the house.

She currently has a 17HMR bolt gun that her boyfriend uses to shoot ground squirrels in the pastures as her "bump in the night", animal in the yard gun, as well as a snubby .38 she CC's. There is no way to mount a light on the 17, and I feel like at the minimum having a 5.56 or larger caliber AR would be a much better go to. I am just not sure exactly how I should go about it. All of my builds, and my rifles are defensive purpose intended, not designed to go after 4-legged threats unless I absolutely have to.

I need some guidance and some wisdom from those of you that have AR varmint and pest carbines. I will be using one of the lowers I bought in the Stick-Centurion group buy (Thanks again). I already have a mil-spec LPK for it, as well as an ALG ACT trigger to drop in I got on a good sale. I chose a BCM pistol grip because the angle and LOP should be easier on her wrists that she has tweaked several time over the years. Having the lower mostly covered, the upper is where I am having the most difficult time deciding what I should do.

I want something simple, light and reliable. My initial thoughts have been a 16" upper, loaded with some 77gr, or similar V-Max or whatever is the most solid varmint/hunting .223/5.56 round out right now. Quality LPV, and a quality white light. The longest shot she would have to take is about 200 yards, and I think that still might be pushing it. Her cat got attacked by something in the yard the other night, so we are talking as close as 10 yards and in as well, it will just depend on the situation. I would also like to have this be able to work in non animal HD roll as well. I realize even though she has decent experience with most styles of firearms, I will be teaching her from the ground up on the AR.

What things am I currently missing that I should be thinking about?

Is 5.56/.223 the best caliber for the situation?

Would 300BLK be a better move here?

Ammunition recommendations, weights etc?

Here was my thoughts leading up to this post;

Quality 14.5 or 16" upper- Most likely BCM, but would look at others with an M-Lok or KMR rail to keep the weight down
Heavier buffer and spring
Quality LPV like Steiner or Trijicon, or a good RDS (I am going to have her shoot both)
High lumen white light, 600 Lumen minimum but it will probably be the 1K lumen Streamlight because I really like mine
Back up sights
Sling

I am willing to pay for good quality stuff like I do on my own rifles. I want this to be something that after she's comfortable with it, will give me better peace of mind that she has it next to the bed, or at the back door.

I just need some help and education so I can do this right the first time out.

Alpine2k3
06-30-18, 03:06
A Sionics 16” probably would do. The light weight barrel reasonably accurate. I was going to mention the Steiner for an optic. They offer a MLok rail to go with it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JulyAZ
06-30-18, 03:15
I have a few questions to better provider input,

How old is you mother?

You stated that her BF uses the rifle mostly, are you comfortable with him possibly taking pseudo ownership of the thing that you are willing to invest a decent amount of money in?

You already stated that she has had some issues with her wrist, will she have the ability to successfully rack a traditional charging handle? And not half rack it, that may lead her thinking her gun is hot, when she’s rolling with an empty chamber.

And as for a sub 200 yard gun, with a magnified optic, will she be able to deal with the eye relief, without getting kissed by the optic when she takes a shot under pressure?

I think a topic like this comes down to her ability as a shooter, her strength and dexterity. Something I think you’ll have to decide, as we have limited knowledge of her abilities.

RobertTheTexan
06-30-18, 04:36
JulyAZ really asked some great questions WW and that’s why this is still the cream on top of the milk bucket of AR forums.
I won’t dabble in the points and questions he brought up, I’ll speak from a specific point of view - the weapon itself and my own experiences with it.

So my step-mom packs a .38 Special too. She’s 76 I think but she’s more of a Prepper than I am. Her husband (my dad passed and she remarried several yrs later) is a great guy and his son built him an AR, 16” and it’s great but she can’t really handle it. It’s got an FSP and a RAS rail, flattop with a micro red dot. Not only is it weighty, but being carbine gas it has more recoil impulse than more modern set ups.

Enter my 14.5

So I built a pin & welded 14.5. I opted for the Hanson profiled barrel from Ballistic Advantage. I’ve done some comparisons between my BCM 16” and my BA Hanson 16” and I achieve better accuracy and even slightly less recoil impulse.
I used a Vltor A5 system, and Lantac Dragon that does a pretty good job of mitigating barrel climb on shooting. The slightly shorter length gives it a better sense of maneuverability and reduces the front end weight, which is what wears people down who may have less upper arm strength than others. At your 200 yd range the 14.5 is deadly accurate. But the most important aspect regarding this 14.5 and my own step mom is that 14.5 is the softest shooting, fastest return to target weapon I have ever built, and while I haven’t built as many as some, I’ve built over 20. All of them leveraging improvement such as the A5 system, better comps. BCM barrels, DD barrels and even the almost unicorn tear status Centurion Arms barrel. My rifle gassed barrels do not shoot as smooth as that 14.5.
So if I had to built mama an AR, and I wanted her to enjoy shooting as much as trusting it to do what it was designed to do - I’d build another 14.5 and I’d know tons of guys like BCM barrels, but I have not had a barrel that gave me better accuracy or reliability than my BA Hanson’s, or their 416R SS barrels are stupid accurate, and they don’t break the bank. Especially with their Mil/LEO discount. I’ve not compared BCM’s 14.5 so I won’t say one way or the other, but on my 16eraI know what barrel was a little softer and more accurate. When someone wants their child to shoot an AR and they’re skittish about kick, I introduce them to the platform on my 14.5. They’ve all been amazed at how easy it was to shoot. (Then I move them up to other builds.)

I’m sure you’re going to put an excellent rifle together for your mom,I just wanted to bring up a barrel that I have personal experience with, (I’ve built 2) and the success I’ve had with it, and how it seem to really check the boxes for a good “Mom gun”
I have a 416R SS 223 Wylde in 14.5 that I’m debating building or sellingN

Campbell
06-30-18, 06:44
I agree that the AR is a great utility rifle for most any application, just make sure it fits your mother’s needs the best.
A stainless/synthetic bolt gun in .223 or maybe .243 with a good LPV could also be worth looking at, and could streamline the manual of arms for her.( I understand she may not need help in that area.) Good luck on the build either way.

Straight Shooter
06-30-18, 07:01
Nevermind- didnt read all the criteria.

ABNAK
06-30-18, 08:09
I put together a Frankengun with all quality parts to be my "grab and go" weapon:

*Knight's stripped lower
* BCM BFH ELW 16" upper with 13" KMR-A (gas block pinned by Adco)
*Rampage XS 4 prong flash hider
*Daniel Defense chromed BCG
*Geissele SD-C trigger group
*B5 stock
*BCM Mod 3 grip and enhanced trigger guard
*YHM front and rear BUIS
*Aimpoint T2 in an American Defense true co-witness throw lever mount
*BCM stubby angled foregrip
*Entire gun Duracoated, steel parts Colt Gray and aluminum parts black.

The entire setup as listed above has me around the $2500 mark.

WickedWillis
06-30-18, 12:47
I appreciate all the responses so far. When I get off work this afternoon I will jump on and answer all of the questions posted

Iraqgunz
06-30-18, 15:18
I would not overthink this very much. The criteria you have listed are similar to what hundreds or even thousands have asked before you.

I would build the lower from your group buy deal using quality parts. You should be somewhat familiar with what those parts are.

As for the upper you should take a look at the SIONICS 16" with our MLOK rail. Add some MBUS polymer sights to it along with your other requirements and you are done. I would stay away from 14.5" due to the pin and weld nonsense.

shooterpunk
06-30-18, 16:09
I really think a fairly standard setup from a reputable brand you like would be great. 200 yards on wolf sized targets shoot be great for a .223. Soon is seems to be pretty popular and I think would be a good choice with your choice of lpv.

Tigereye
06-30-18, 18:38
Sionics upper is a good choice. So is the BCM 16” ELW. It is lightweight, handy, and accurate.

WickedWillis
06-30-18, 20:46
I have a few questions to better provider input,

How old is you mother?

You stated that her BF uses the rifle mostly, are you comfortable with him possibly taking pseudo ownership of the thing that you are willing to invest a decent amount of money in?

You already stated that she has had some issues with her wrist, will she have the ability to successfully rack a traditional charging handle? And not half rack it, that may lead her thinking her gun is hot, when she’s rolling with an empty chamber.

And as for a sub 200 yard gun, with a magnified optic, will she be able to deal with the eye relief, without getting kissed by the optic when she takes a shot under pressure?

I think a topic like this comes down to her ability as a shooter, her strength and dexterity. Something I think you’ll have to decide, as we have limited knowledge of her abilities.

She is early 50's, and in great shape. Small framed. Her wrist was tweaked when she got bucked off a horse. I am confident she could rack it.

It's her house, and he's only there once in awhile as he works out of state. Wouldn't bug me if he used it, maybe not using it as a plinker though, but that could be part of the deal.

I hadn't thought about the LPV and eye relief before. It's a valid point I think. Red dot might be the best in that regard.

JulyAZ really asked some great questions WW and that’s why this is still the cream on top of the milk bucket of AR forums.
I won’t dabble in the points and questions he brought up, I’ll speak from a specific point of view - the weapon itself and my own experiences with it.

So my step-mom packs a .38 Special too. She’s 76 I think but she’s more of a Prepper than I am. Her husband (my dad passed and she remarried several yrs later) is a great guy and his son built him an AR, 16” and it’s great but she can’t really handle it. It’s got an FSP and a RAS rail, flattop with a micro red dot. Not only is it weighty, but being carbine gas it has more recoil impulse than more modern set ups.

Enter my 14.5

So I built a pin & welded 14.5. I opted for the Hanson profiled barrel from Ballistic Advantage. I’ve done some comparisons between my BCM 16” and my BA Hanson 16” and I achieve better accuracy and even slightly less recoil impulse.
I used a Vltor A5 system, and Lantac Dragon that does a pretty good job of mitigating barrel climb on shooting. The slightly shorter length gives it a better sense of maneuverability and reduces the front end weight, which is what wears people down who may have less upper arm strength than others. At your 200 yd range the 14.5 is deadly accurate. But the most important aspect regarding this 14.5 and my own step mom is that 14.5 is the softest shooting, fastest return to target weapon I have ever built, and while I haven’t built as many as some, I’ve built over 20. All of them leveraging improvement such as the A5 system, better comps. BCM barrels, DD barrels and even the almost unicorn tear status Centurion Arms barrel. My rifle gassed barrels do not shoot as smooth as that 14.5.
So if I had to built mama an AR, and I wanted her to enjoy shooting as much as trusting it to do what it was designed to do - I’d build another 14.5 and I’d know tons of guys like BCM barrels, but I have not had a barrel that gave me better accuracy or reliability than my BA Hanson’s, or their 416R SS barrels are stupid accurate, and they don’t break the bank. Especially with their Mil/LEO discount. I’ve not compared BCM’s 14.5 so I won’t say one way or the other, but on my 16eraI know what barrel was a little softer and more accurate. When someone wants their child to shoot an AR and they’re skittish about kick, I introduce them to the platform on my 14.5. They’ve all been amazed at how easy it was to shoot. (Then I move them up to other builds.)

I’m sure you’re going to put an excellent rifle together for your mom,I just wanted to bring up a barrel that I have personal experience with, (I’ve built 2) and the success I’ve had with it, and how it seem to really check the boxes for a good “Mom gun”
I have a 416R SS 223 Wylde in 14.5 that I’m debating building or sellingN

Thanks for your input Robert, it's definitely always welcome.

I have heard really good things about the BA barrels. I have a 16" Recce style Daniel Defense V7 with a BCM keymod and a Steiner PX4i, and I have even debated loaning her that. I just want to make sure it's not too heavy for her on the front end, or even now I am debating an LPV after what AZ asked. I just have never set something up mainly for hunting. I am still guessing something with a 1:7 twist would stabilize heavier rounds fine also?

I would not overthink this very much. The criteria you have listed are similar to what hundreds or even thousands have asked before you.

I would build the lower from your group buy deal using quality parts. You should be somewhat familiar with what those parts are.

As for the upper you should take a look at the SIONICS 16" with our MLOK rail. Add some MBUS polymer sights to it along with your other requirements and you are done. I would stay away from 14.5" due to the pin and weld nonsense.

I have yet to pick anything up from SIONICS to this point, but they have a great reputation here. I will check their offerings like you described. Noted on the 16", it sounds like the better way to go in that respect.

drtywk
06-30-18, 21:29
You are local to me and I have a couple of builds similar to what you are looking for. Hit me up via PM to figure out a time to link up so you can take a look at them. Maybe get some range time with them.

SteveL
06-30-18, 21:57
I have heard really good things about the BA barrels. I have a 16" Recce style Daniel Defense V7 with a BCM keymod and a Steiner PX4i, and I have even debated loaning her that. I just want to make sure it's not too heavy for her on the front end, or even now I am debating an LPV after what AZ asked. I just have never set something up mainly for hunting. I am still guessing something with a 1:7 twist would stabilize heavier rounds fine also?

Yes. Tighter twist rates are the better option for longer/heavier projectiles. 1:7 or 1:8 would work well.

I have yet to pick anything up from SIONICS to this point, but they have a great reputation here. I will check their offerings like you described. Noted on the 16", it sounds like the better way to go in that respect.

Sionics is top notch and they have stellar customer service. I'm confident you would not be disappointed if you go this route. And no I don't work for them.

elephantrider
07-01-18, 00:21
I'd keep it relatively lightweight, no gucci skeletonized parts, balanced, and keep the recoil down as much as possible.

- .223/5.56 should be fine as long as a good bonded type bullet is used for defense, critter control, or putting down any livestock/wildlife: Speer Gold Dot, Hornady GMX, Barnes TSX, Federal Fusion, etc. The Speer Gold Dot component bullets are really inexpensive if you can handload some rounds.
- Upper: A Sionics 16" barrel would be my pic if you want a chrome lined barrel. They have a LW version which will help with the weight/balance part. If you want a Nitrided barrel look at BRT's Optimum barrel, which is relatively LW and balances well, and has an extended gas system for a little smoother/softer recoil impulse. Both are 5.56mm so they can eat, and stabilize just about any ammo if need be.
ALG defense EMR is my pick for a solid, light-weight, inexpensive handguard.
BCM blem uppers receivers are $60 now, and Toolcraft BCGs can be had for ~$70.
I like a nice ergonomic charging handle like the Radian Raptor, or Geissele SCH.
- Lower: Consider a Vltor A5 RE/buffer, which can help keep the recoil down a little, helps with reliability, and the rifle spring has a little less resistance when running the charging handle. A lightweight stock can help keep the overall weight down, and potentially shoulder quicker/easier, and balance better; BCM gunfighter, Magpul MOE SL, Magpul CTR. Make sure she has the hand strength and dexterity to be able to adjust it. I've seen limp wrist guys complain that a BCM gunfighter is difficult to adjust.
- Optics/sights: Keep in mind whatever eyesight issues your mother may have going on. Whatever optic you choose, it has to work for her and her eyes, or corrective lenses. A red dot, would really keep the weight down. An Aimpoint Pro in a Geissele mount would work, and be super solid. If she needs to be able to see animals at distance, then a LPV would be almost mandatory.
- Sling: Hard to beat a padded Magpul MS-1.
- WML: Surefire is always nice, but also take a look at Arisaka Defense offerings with Malkoff heads. They are pretty lightweight, and can really throw light out a good distance (helpful to see into treelines, etc). I'd recommend a 2 cell type light body, then add a few rechargeable 16650 cells, and a charging station. Should be brighter, less expensive, and easier than buying CR123s.

Maybe obvious stuff, but she is going to need a bit of time, and ammo for familiarization: safety, basic manual of arms, zeroing, and maintenance. Also any enables will need familiarization as well: optic, sling, lights, battery changes etc.

elephant
07-01-18, 02:09
I'd keep it relatively lightweight, no gucci skeletonized parts, balanced, and keep the recoil down as much as possible.

What about this? It has purpose, style, elegance and its classy AF.

titsonritz
07-01-18, 13:13

Sounds like you need a Patrol 3 with a light-weight barrel and an Aimpoint. I have their XL version and it is one of my favorite carbines.

I don't know your skill level or what tools you possess, but their "Gutless lower" it may be of interest.

Beat Trash
07-01-18, 13:27
I think a light weight 16" barreled upper like the Sionics Patrol 3 would be perfect for her needs. Add a white light, and a decent optic and be done with it. I agree that you shouldn't over think this. Load it up with a decent 77 gr loading and it should do well with any predators she may have to address.

Steve-0-
07-02-18, 00:13
PM'd you

ExplorinInTheWoods
07-03-18, 10:58
I would pick up a TR24 from Trijicon for the optic. The illuminated triangle is excellent and is light weight. You can find them fairly cheap now used. I typically see them for $600 used with a mount on armslist or tacswap. I would look into a 16 and put some sort of hybrid flash hider compensator like the SureFire WarComp.

WickedWillis
07-03-18, 12:09
I would pick up a TR24 from Trijicon for the optic. The illuminated triangle is excellent and is light weight. You can find them fairly cheap now used. I typically see them for $600 used with a mount on armslist or tacswap. I would look into a 16 and put some sort of hybrid flash hider compensator like the SureFire WarComp.

My only concern is the TR24 in low light to no light.

mardad
07-03-18, 12:49
Got my wife (67 yrs. old) a sig AR pistol with sig brace. She is not a crack shot nor a novice, but she tears a 4" hole in paper, cosistently at 150 yds. with brace to shoulder. She is scary accurate with brace employed. She has injured wrists as well. She would trade me before she'd trade that sig.

drtywk
07-03-18, 12:58
Sent you a PM.

MountainRaven
07-03-18, 14:09

The tritium usually works pretty well on its own in low/no light and while the tritium will be washed out by a WML, you'll have a great big, thick post.

RobertTheTexan
07-03-18, 14:26

The tritium usually works pretty well on its own in low/no light and while the tritium will be washed out by a WML, you'll have a great big, thick post.

And use a free reticle. I recently tried a red tritium reticle, and it was not useable in low light on a lighter background. I had to really focus on finding it which meant I wasn’t focused on the target/threat.
So I’ll probably never use any tritium reticle, green or not. I’d rather buy cases of batteries.

WW you said most of her shots will be around 100 yards give or take? You could always let your mom try one of your red dots at that distance or try a 1-4 low powered scope. Do you have a 1-4 she could check out? Let me know if you don’t. There are some fairly lightweight optics out there.

WickedWillis
10-22-18, 11:14
And use a free reticle. I recently tried a red tritium reticle, and it was not useable in low light on a lighter background. I had to really focus on finding it which meant I wasn’t focused on the target/threat.
So I’ll probably never use any tritium reticle, green or not. I’d rather buy cases of batteries.

WW you said most of her shots will be around 100 yards give or take? You could always let your mom try one of your red dots at that distance or try a 1-4 low powered scope. Do you have a 1-4 she could check out? Let me know if you don’t. There are some fairly lightweight optics out there.

This is exactly what I did thanks to your input. I took her out and had her try my Aimpoint PRO, T1, and my Steiner PX4i. She really liked the Steiner out of all of them, so that is what I ended up buying and putting on her gun.

I took the build out last weekend and got a rough zero at 25 yards (The 50 yard bays were full for a few hours) and got a decent feel for it.

Now I am trying to figure out a great "Do-all" .223-5.56 round that will handle two legged threats as well as Coyotes and Wolves, which will be the main focus. I was leaning towards 75gr Gold dots as a decent do-all round, and I use the 64gr version in all of my defensive AR's, but I am not 100% sure how it would do against the dogs. I have about 50 rounds of some 55gr v-max, and a handful of other "varmint" rounds that I plan on running through it to check groupings. Any suggestions here from you guys? I know it will be difficult to have my cake and eat it too, but I would rather have several magazines loaded up with the best of both worlds. Whatever I buy, I will be getting a few hundred rounds of it.

RobertTheTexan
10-22-18, 12:49
This is exactly what I did thanks to your input. I took her out and had her try my Aimpoint PRO, T1, and my Steiner PX4i. She really liked the Steiner out of all of them, so that is what I ended up buying and putting on her gun.

I took the build out last weekend and got a rough zero at 25 yards (The 50 yard bays were full for a few hours) and got a decent feel for it.

Now I am trying to figure out a great "Do-all" .223-5.56 round that will handle two legged threats as well as Coyotes and Wolves, which will be the main focus. I was leaning towards 75gr Gold dots as a decent do-all round, and I use the 64gr version in all of my defensive AR's, but I am not 100% sure how it would do against the dogs. I have about 50 rounds of some 55gr v-max, and a handful of other "varmint" rounds that I plan on running through it to check groupings. Any suggestions here from you guys? I know it will be difficult to have my cake and eat it too, but I would rather have several magazines loaded up with the best of both worlds. Whatever I buy, I will be getting a few hundred rounds of it.

That's great to hear, and you got her a really solid optic. That Steiner is just a good solid 1-4. What barrel/twist did you end up going with? I looked back but didn't see if you said or not... But the twist will impact how the heavier bullets group. I know guys who have dropped yotes with 77 SMK as well as 69's, and also the lower grain varmint loads 50 vmax, 55 etc. I think there are a few people in our group of shooters who have used 77gr on the 2 legged variety - but again barrel twist will play to success of that heavier round.

Ultimately, like in the caliber wars, I personally subscribe to the "shot placement over caliber" belief and I think it translates to bullet weight as well (within reason of twist and weight). So more importantly than the load you choose, once you choose a load that excels with your barrel twist, will be mom's shot placement.

gaijin
10-22-18, 13:04
The 64 gr. GD will trash a coyote-from experience.
They have also been very accurate from my guns.

Rogue556
10-22-18, 13:35
Now I am trying to figure out a great "Do-all" .223-5.56 round that will handle two legged threats as well as Coyotes and Wolves, which will be the main focus.

The Gold Dots wouldn't be a bad choice, but you may also consider the 77gr TMK if you don't need something barrier blind. From everything I've seen the TMK seems to dump energy quite well and does so early. Biggest down side would be cost I think.

WickedWillis
10-22-18, 14:13
That's great to hear, and you got her a really solid optic. That Steiner is just a good solid 1-4. What barrel/twist did you end up going with? I looked back but didn't see if you said or not... But the twist will impact how the heavier bullets group. I know guys who have dropped yotes with 77 SMK as well as 69's, and also the lower grain varmint loads 50 vmax, 55 etc. I think there are a few people in our group of shooters who have used 77gr on the 2 legged variety - but again barrel twist will play to success of that heavier round.

Ultimately, like in the caliber wars, I personally subscribe to the "shot placement over caliber" belief and I think it translates to bullet weight as well (within reason of twist and weight). So more importantly than the load you choose, once you choose a load that excels with your barrel twist, will be mom's shot placement.

It's a 1/8 twist. Thanks to Steve-O-, I went with a complete Sionics Patrol 3 upper with a 15" Keymod rail. I will post pictures of the build when I get home. It turned out very nice IMO. I am just not an ammo expert, and wanted some feedback from you fine people.

The 64 gr. GD will trash a coyote-from experience.
They have also been very accurate from my guns.

That would make things easier because I already have a few hundred rounds, I was just weary if it would work on 4 legged animals.

WickedWillis
10-22-18, 14:16
The Gold Dots wouldn't be a bad choice, but you may also consider the 77gr TMK if you don't need something barrier blind. From everything I've seen the TMK seems to dump energy quite well and does so early. Biggest down side would be cost I think.

She has line of sight out to about 150 yards in the front, 200 on one side, and about 250 through a horse pasture on the other. About 30 yards before it gets into brush in the back also. I don't think she will be firing into the woods, but I wouldn't discount it either.

RobertTheTexan
10-23-18, 03:08
It's a 1/8 twist. Thanks to Steve-O-, I went with a complete Sionics Patrol 3 upper with a 15" Keymod rail. I will post pictures of the build when I get home. It turned out very nice IMO. I am just not an ammo expert, and wanted some feedback from you fine people.

That would make things easier because I already have a few hundred rounds, I was just weary if it would work on 4 legged animals.

Sounds like you have a nice setup. I suspected Steve-O was going to do you a good deal on a Sionics barrel and you got an entire upper. I’d give Barnes 70gr TSX a go and 77 Mk262.

Can’t wait to see pics... but dang brother keymod??? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WickedWillis
10-23-18, 11:46
Sounds like you have a nice setup. I suspected Steve-O was going to do you a good deal on a Sionics barrel and you got an entire upper. I’d give Barnes 70gr TSX a go and 77 Mk262.

Can’t wait to see pics... but dang brother keymod??? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's MLOK, I'm not sure why I said Keymod

WickedWillis
11-12-18, 22:39
Okay so I was able to get to the range last weekend and get the gun (semi) dialed in. As it is, I am completely finished building it and piecing it together. Here is what I used;
Lower:
Stripped Centurion Arms M4C lower
Geisselle lower parts kit
ALG defense ACT trigger
BCM mod 3 grip
Magpul QD mount
BCM buffer tube with H2 buffer and spring
Magpul SL-K stock

Upper:
Complete 16" Sionics Patrol 3 upper
15" Sionics MLOK rail
Arisaka defense MLOK Scout mount
Stream light Pro Tac HLX 1000 lumen model
Cloud defensive pressure switch mount
BCM KAG grip
Steiner PX4i 1-4x
Midwest industries mount

https://flic.kr/p/QJj1fA
https://flic.kr/p/2cS2XgP

I zeroed it in about 3 rounds at 50 yards using Remington Fusion .223 62gr because it is abundant to me locally and there has been some very positive reviews on here about it. My phone was dead for the 50 yard target, so I was unable to get a picture of it, but I was happy with the final group as all rounds were damn near touching at 50 yards. I then moved out to 200 with it to confirm, and see how well I could group it. I feel like I did okay, and I made a few adjustments and called it decent for now. The gun could definitely out shoot me. The ALG trigger was good, but I was not blown away by it yet.
Final 200 yard group on the left side
https://flic.kr/p/2cMGD5w

I would like to thank everyone who helped and added to this build. All the time and knowledge really helped me, and helped influence every step of this build. Thanks again to Steve-O- for helping me with the upper purchase, Robert and everyone else who truly helped out. I am happy with the results, but I feel as i become a better shooter i can tighten that 200 yard group up. Hopefully my Mom appreciates it!