PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 SS 5R-MILSPEC

CCFP
10-25-08, 21:54
Guys, owning several handguns, shotguns, and a couple of AR's, I am looking to round out my collection with a precision bolt gun. I was about to purchase a Remington 700P when I learned I could get a Remington 700 SS 5R-MIL SPEC. I hadn't heard of this gun before, but it sounds really appealing. I had been considering a Tactical Rifles M40, but I've overspent my toy budget lately. I'm only really looking at .308, for a number of reasons. If any of you have knowledge and opinions about the 5R Mil Spec, I'd be interested in hearing them.
Jim

sproing
10-26-08, 02:18
I bought mine used with a few hundred rounds through it and I'm very happy with it. The trigger is tuned to 2.5lbs and it's like butter. Shoots sub-MOA with 168gr. FGMM, which is all I've put through it so far. I'm not sure it's any more accurate than an LTR or 700P. But it's a lot less common so if you like something a little different it might be for you.

Race
10-26-08, 22:37
Are these available through a Remington LE dealer?

maximus83
10-27-08, 02:15
You can get them at a number of retail places. I saw one recently available here, though I don't know if they still have them in stock:

Rem 700 SS 5R Milspec at Sniper Country PX (http://www.snipercountrypx.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=499)

sproing
10-27-08, 05:06
There's usually one or two available in the for sale forums on Snipers Hide.

Race
10-27-08, 10:45
My Remingtons are older - what is the "X-Mark" trigger? Has Remington redesigned their trigger?

Thanks

jpipes
10-27-08, 11:37
Yes they did. I replaced mine with a Timney, and promptly threw the x-mark pro away. The trash is were it belongs, in my opinion.

sproing
10-27-08, 11:53
I do have the factory trigger on mine and it's great. Not sure if it's the old or new Rem trigger (rifle is a couple years old). But as I mentioned earlier it has been adjusted down to 2.5lbs, plus it has a few hundred rounds on it so the usage may have helped smooth it out.

CCFP
11-03-08, 21:57
I've got one ordered. $1165.00 CAD. With our current $, I suspect that's an OK price.

CCFP
11-08-08, 19:45
I just picked up my new rifle,(don't tell my wife!). I love it ! Haven't shot it.......... no bipod..............no scope................but it feels great! The trigger feels quite good. It's crisp, light, and with absolutely no overtravel. I wouldn'tdream of changing it at this point. I had been wanting to share optics with my LMT MRP,...I don't know if I can do that.

Fringe
11-12-08, 14:13
You can get them at a number of retail places. I saw one recently available here, though I don't know if they still have them in stock:

Rem 700 SS 5R Milspec at Sniper Country PX (http://www.snipercountrypx.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=499)

Just talked to Scott, great guy, nice to deal with as stated and he just sold out, but is getting a shipment in tomorrow so I jumped. He said they would sell pretty fast and I have no reason to doubt the way things are going. I feel like I have a good start and look forward to kiting this thing out and having a nice relationship with precision shooting!
Thanks!

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-12-08, 21:44
I know I could post this over on Snipers Hide, but I was looking for more of a perspective of a Semi-auto shooter. I live in Colorado now and in the spring I was looking to start shooting some of the tactical bolt action matches around here.

In .308 you can get a SPS Varmit for $550
a 700P for $880
a 5R for $980

For a $100 I'd go with the 5R in a heartbeat. The $400+ for the SPS to 5R is a bit more daunting. What is the thought process in choosing between buying a SPS and shooting the crap out of it, and rebarreling and tuning/truing it after a barrel is shot out, versus buying the 5R? I guess to really shoot the SPS you would need a new stock and a trigger job, while the 5R is GTG?

CCFP, did you consider any of the lower models?

Fringe
11-13-08, 09:07
From what I have read, the 5R is about as good as a 700 gets to being one of the most accurate out of the box bolt guns out there without spending 3K+. This made the decision easy for me. Also, Remington makes only about 400-500 a year and again, from what I understand, they go pretty fast. The nice fellow I ordered from was out of stock, but was getting more today and said I could not have called at a better time to secure this specific gun. I am sorting out optics currently and hope to have that soon too, but I want to do this right the first time as well. I just figured the 5R was a no-brainer for a first time bolt gun.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-13-08, 15:28
I was at Jensen Arms today and they had one. Nice rifle, the stock is pretty good, and it was at a pretty good price. Balances nicely, not heavy not light. Nice trigger. I thought I was going ot have to arm wrestle another guy for it. Didn't buy it, because then I'd have to buy a scope, and an AICS stock, reloading equipement, bipod.....

I think what saved me was they were so busy that you had to wait 45 minutes to fil out a 4473, and I had to get back to work.

A 5R and the new F1 Nightforce scope would be pretty cool.

The Stainless looked more like galvinizing to me. It was low sheen, and didn't look like stainless, kind of like a poured on surface. Probably have it painted anyway, helps the barrel cool faster.

CCFP
11-17-08, 08:33
I know I could post this over on Snipers Hide, but I was looking for more of a perspective of a Semi-auto shooter. I live in Colorado now and in the spring I was looking to start shooting some of the tactical bolt action matches around here.

a 700P for $880
a 5R for $980

For a $100 I'd go with the 5R in a heartbeat. The $400+ for the SPS to 5R is a bit more daunting. What is the thought process in choosing between buying a SPS and shooting the crap out of it, and rebarreling and tuning/truing it after a barrel is shot out, versus buying the 5R? I guess to really shoot the SPS you would need a new stock and a trigger job, while the 5R is GTG?

CCFP, did you consider any of the lower models?

No not really. I did handle a few less costly pieces at one of my local shops, but they didn't interest me too much. I don't have too much self control when I'm toy shopping. If I bought something that didn't seem a little bit special to me, I'd likely go out in just a few months and dump >3k on a silly replacement. I should be happy with this for a few years once it's all set up. I'm about to spend >1k on a scope. Where does it all end? At least when I die, I'll leave my boys some great stuff. :-)

Toten Kopf
12-16-08, 01:11
************end of line

POF.Ops
12-22-08, 17:23
Here are some short reviews of the 5R. As others have found they are out there if you are looking for one. I don't have direct experience with the 5R but if I was in the market for a production precision rifle in this price range I'd be looking at the 5R and the Savage .308 10FCP McMillan. Top it with the new Nightforce F1 FFP and you'll be GTG. I've been spending most of my time over on Sniper's Hide since I found my GAP and S&B over there. Just about all range time has been dedicated to the GAP lately. :D

http://www.tobystactical.com/

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-22-08, 19:28
Here are some short reviews of the 5R. As others have found they are out there if you are looking for one. I don't have direct experience with the 5R but if I was in the market for a production precision rifle in this price range I'd be looking at the 5R and the Savage .308 10FCP McMillan. Top it with the new Nightforce F1 FFP and you'll be GTG. I've been spending most of my time over on Sniper's Hide since I found my GAP and S&B over there. Just about all range time has been dedicated to the GAP lately. :D

http://www.tobystactical.com/

Great link. Those F1's are finally out! The problem with a $2400 Nightforce is that I might as well spend $2800 for a Premier scope. If I'm going to spend $2800, I might as well get a S&B for $3200.

Damascus
12-23-08, 21:15
a 700P for $880
a 5R for $980

Last year I was in this dilemma, couldn't decide between a 700 SPS-V and a 700P. Since I didn't like the shape of the 700P's H-S Precision stock, I decided on the SPS-V so I could choose the stock I wanted. After I got my 700 SPS-V, I learned something very very interesting - the 700SPS-V/T rifles use the exact same barreled actions that are used on the 700P/PSS/etc. series rifles. So, I got mine, tweaked the trigger a bit, then put a Bell&Carlson Tactical A5 stock on it (check them out here, best stocks out there for the money, all the adjustment of the H-S and McMillan stocks, with alloy bedding blocks, for half the price!) http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-BELL-%26-CARLSON-cln-Vertical-Grip-Tactical/Categories
Right out of the box my rifle shot about 0.58 MOA - and just by trashing that factory stock and bolting it into the A5, average accuracy shrunk down to 0.410 MOA (average of ten 5 shot groups @ 100 yards, locked in benchrest, 168gr. SMK handloads). In my opinion, the SPS V and T rifles are the best kept secret out there.

ProMed
06-27-09, 10:40
Found one of the 700 SS 5R-Milspecs for $860. Is that a good deal? I'm looking for something for long distance target fun and occasional deer hunting.

buggsb
07-08-09, 16:32
$860 is a smoking deal...they are great guns right out of the box.