PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone TV series, anybody watching it?

austinN4
07-01-18, 18:42
Season 1 of this new modern western series started this week on the Paramount Network TV channel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_(U.S._TV_series)

Looks pretty good but I think I am going to wait for the DVD so I can binge watch the whole season at once. Plus I get much better sound on DVDs than I get from broadcast quality surround sound. No date yet on the DVD release date.

Looked up Taylor Sheridan, the creator of this show: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4236770/

Taylor Sheridan is an American actor, screenwriter, and director. He is best known for wrote the screenplay for Sicario (2015), and Hell or High Water (2016), for which he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay.

He also starred in FX television series Sons of Anarchy, and directed the film Wind River, starring Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen.

Very very promising!

26 Inf
07-01-18, 23:13
I watched the first two episodes. Still on the fence, waiting to see how things evolve the next couple episodes.

RioGrandeGreen
07-01-18, 23:43
I have been watching it. I like it, kinda like a modern Godfather western. Plus, I got a thing for the slutty red headed daughter.:cool:

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-02-18, 00:06
Looks interesting. Saw an interview with Kostner about it. He said a lot of people can do white-hat/black-hat westerns. More complex and it narrows the field. I'm guessing that the moral ground will shift- though the developer plays a scum bag in every role he has ever done, so that is hard to ignore.

Ah, the red head. Filly needs to be broken.....

I look forward to the new episodes. More players putting out good shows- I'll support that from Paramount. Netflix has gone kinda odd lately. Less movies and more dubious quality shows.

Agree on the Godfather analogy. That first episode has a "Settle all family business" aspect to it.

AKDoug
07-02-18, 00:43
Thanks for the heads up. Adding the Paramount channel was painless on my Roku. But frig.. commercials. Ughh. I'll wait for it to come out somewhere else without them.

** never mind.. stuck with it for now **

daddyusmaximus
07-02-18, 00:46
So far so good. They are a powerful family with secrets, but I haven't seen them doing anything really bad yet like dealing drugs and killing for money, so it seems they are just protecting what's theirs so far. Looks to be an interesting fight brewing... I see the wayward son having to return, (unless he really does ship out) and the red head playing bigger roles and the lawyer playing a supporting role, despite his aspirations.

The "bad guys" little rigged explosion got the son to give up his slide (now they got the barrel to match ballistics) but if he ships out, and with his dead brother cremated...

I'm wondering if word gets out about the dinosaur find on the res if that will change things...

26 Inf
07-02-18, 01:00
So far so good. They are a powerful family with secrets, but I haven't seen them doing anything really bad yet like dealing drugs and killing for money

So killing the ME was OK, because it wasn't for money? That's really what put me on the fence, I'm not much interested in Godfather or Shield like shows.

Plus I haven't made my mind up if the Kelly Reilly character is hot or a skank.

AKDoug
07-02-18, 01:07
Couldn't do it.. the older I get the less patience I have for unrealistic b.s. Didn't make it half way through episode one. Duct taping the kid to the horse, actually watching wolves eat an elk on a date? Whatever...

AKDoug
07-02-18, 01:08
So killing the ME was OK, because it wasn't for money? That's really what put me on the fence, I'm not much interested in Godfather or Shield like shows.

Skank.. I was hoping for WAY better from the other guys that mentioned her.

RioGrandeGreen
07-02-18, 02:52
I am recovering from surgery and I can't walk so I'm stuck watching TV. I have been bored out of my mind. Thank god for direct tv. I've seen most of the world cup games and I'm not even a big soccer fan. Don't tell anyone but I'm rooting for Mexico against Brazil.

I am even playing Xbox, I ordered Modern Warfare 3 remastered, I used to play this with my oldest awhile back

"I don't know what happened, I kick ass with an M4 on Xbox", as my trainees used to say on the range when asked why they were doing so poorly. Now I can talk shit.

AkDoug, What can I say about red heads.

Averageman
07-02-18, 04:10
I am recovering from surgery and I can't walk so I'm stuck watching TV. I have been bored out of my mind. Thank god for direct tv. I've seen most of the world cup games and I'm not even a big soccer fan. Don't tell anyone but I'm rooting for Mexico against Brazil.

I am even playing Xbox, I ordered Modern Warfare 3 remastered, I used to play this with my oldest awhile back

"I don't know what happened, I kick ass with an M4 on Xbox", as my trainees used to say on the range when asked why they were doing so poorly. Now I can talk shit.

AkDoug, What can I say about red heads.

Get well, you'll have mastered MW3 soon.

SkiDevil
07-02-18, 06:28
Season 1 of this new modern western series started this week on the Paramount Network TV channel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_(U.S._TV_series)

Looks pretty good but I think I am going to wait for the DVD so I can binge watch the whole season at once. Plus I get much better sound on DVDs than I get from broadcast quality surround sound. No date yet on the DVD release date.

Looked up Taylor Sheridan, the creator of this show: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4236770/

Taylor Sheridan is an American actor, screenwriter, and director. He is best known for wrote the screenplay for Sicario (2015), and Hell or High Water (2016), for which he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay.

He also starred in FX television series Sons of Anarchy, and directed the film Wind River, starring Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen.

Very very promising!

I watched the first two episodes. I like the series so far. I agree it's kind of a modern Western meets the mob family, ala Bonanza with a little bit of the Sapranos mix to it.

I get the criticism regarding some of the moral aspects, but it's a movie. You guys are a tough audience.

I have enjoyed Taylor Sheridan's work so I will watch the series to the end. First time I can remember Kevin Costner doing any television work.

I like that Sheridan casts familiar faces from his other films too. I think if you liked his other movies, then you might enjoy Yellowstone as well.

P.S. The firearms shown are interesting, a mix of classic lever guns and ARs.

austinN4
07-02-18, 08:38
I watched the first two episodes. I like the series so far. I agree it's kind of a modern Western meets the mob family, ala Bonanza with a little bit of the Sapranos mix to it.
And I would add, based on the previews, Bundy clan and BLM clash.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-02-18, 09:04
if the Kelly Reilly character is hot or a skank.

.... Yes.

Harlot.

26 Inf
07-02-18, 11:14
Couldn't do it.. the older I get the less patience I have for unrealistic b.s. Didn't make it half way through episode one. Duct taping the kid to the horse, actually watching wolves eat an elk on a date? Whatever...

FWIW, that was episode two. I think the kid on the horse is going to turn into a major figure as things go along, episode one showed how he came to be on the ranch.

She is an attractive lass, and a good actress, but I'm trending toward the role being skank.

sundance435
07-02-18, 16:34

Agree on the ME, but, overall, "The Shield" and Vic were different animals. There wasn't really much ambiguity with Vic. He was out for himself, first and foremost, and occasionally did things that made you sympathetic towards him while still serving his own ends. I think many of us can actually relate to Costner's character's motives, if not the means used to pursue them.

I like the show, but killing the ME is just a weak/lazy plot device and Kelly Reilly's character is the least compelling/most stereotypical.

RioGrandeGreen
07-03-18, 14:27
Get well, you'll have mastered MW3 soon.

Thanks

RioGrandeGreen
07-12-18, 15:06
Last night's skinny dipping scene by Beth was nice. The big rattler scene was bullshit. Any country boy would have ran away pronto. I have had plenty of encounters with rattlers as a boy and I'd never would take one on with just my boot. If I had my pellet gun or .22 rifle, I would killed that trophy sized snake and claimed the rattlers and skin.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-12-18, 19:24
So, in the flashback, who are the two kids with the Mom? Who rides back and who stays with the mom?

Renegade
07-12-18, 20:53
So, in the flashback, who are the two kids with the Mom? Who rides back and who stays with the mom?

Beth the slut rides back.

The boy is the lawyer boy who is going to run for AG.

The ages of both seem to be off by 10 years.

I guess I am not the only one who thinks Josh Lucas looks like Kevin Costner.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-12-18, 21:15
Beth the slut rides back.

The boy is the lawyer boy who is going to run for AG.

The ages of both seem to be off by 10 years.

I guess I am not the only one who thinks Josh Lucas looks like Kevin Costner.

I just read a re-cap and the boy is Kaycee, the former SEAL. I thought that primal scream with the knife at the wolves was not quite in the lawyer's playbook.

Renegade
07-12-18, 21:37
I just read a re-cap and the boy is Kaycee, the former SEAL. I thought that primal scream with the knife at the wolves was not quite in the lawyer's playbook.

thx

that and the "I can ride faster" comment. Also, the ages are more reasonable now.

RioGrandeGreen
07-12-18, 23:08
Yep, it was Kaycee. Former SEAL or always a SEAL?

sundance435
07-13-18, 10:03
I was expecting the mom to be the sweetheart who was the glue of the family. Turns out she was the glue, but it was some horribly toxic glue they brewed up in some off-the-books factory in India. I actually feel bad for the son that's a lawyer. Not sure if I buy the whole "Lone Ranger" thing with the SEAL son (it seems out of place) - that res is turning into the town from "Murder She Wrote", but I guess it could be like that in real life and I wouldn't know.

OT - does anyone know if there's a real-life equivalent to the "Montana Cattle Association" agents? Tried researching it and didn't find much.

Lacos
02-05-22, 18:00
Yellowstone, looks like there will be a season 5

Also Costner producing/directing/acting in his new upcoming western ‘Horizon’

https://deadline.com/2022/02/yellowstone-renewed-season-5-paramount-network-1234925632/

https://deadline.com/2022/01/kevin-costner-horizon-western-movie-direct-star-august-29-start-date-1234921230/

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-05-22, 19:03
Yellowstone, looks like there will be a season 5

Also Costner producing/directing/acting in his new upcoming western ‘Horizon’

https://deadline.com/2022/02/yellowstone-renewed-season-5-paramount-network-1234925632/

https://deadline.com/2022/01/kevin-costner-horizon-western-movie-direct-star-august-29-start-date-1234921230/

Paramount Network has officially handed its crown jewel Yellowstone a fifth season.

Uhm, I bet Paramount was begging for it. THe Yellowstone franchise, and specifically Taylor Sheridan are carrying Paramount+ streaming service. With out his shows, that thing would be useless.

Biggy
02-05-22, 23:53
It was pretty good for a while until I got tired of the corny ass Hollywood BS script and decided to kick it to the curb. I liked the crazy Ozark series more.

AKDoug
02-06-22, 00:37
It was pretty good for a while until I got tired of the corny ass Hollywood BS script and decided to kick it to the curb. I liked the crazy Ozark series more.

I agree. Ozark is WAY better. Grittier, better actors, kinda' funny in some parts. I can't wrap my head around why Yellowstone is so popular.

Honu
02-06-22, 01:02
it started to get soap opera was my take
Did like it overall

Ozark is great :)

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-06-22, 05:09
I agree. Ozark is WAY better. Grittier, better actors, kinda' funny in some parts. I can't wrap my head around why Yellowstone is so popular.

Some of the writing is really good. It's Game of Thrones with cows. No one is really good or evil. I do find it a bit uneven. The whole bunkhouse soap-opera and teh bodies clogging that ravine where no one lives.

I think the key is the characters. Those are pretty engaging. The storyline is just OK.

And of course comparing it to Ozarks is just cruel....

Alpha-17
02-06-22, 08:14
Bit late to this thread, but my wife and I tried to watch it a while back. I couldn't make it through the first episode, and from what she told me (she watched the rest of the series) I didn't miss much. Really came off as a city dweller's views on rural life, with modern rural set dressing, but inner-city gang level crime and murder somehow magically being treated as the norm. Seemed like numerous crimes should have brought down Federal level attention, but nothing much came from them. I was kind of left with the impression that the show was trying to vilify those who owned land by painting them as criminals and leaders of organized crime. The old Marxist "they only are successful and own land because they're crooks and kill to keep it!" argument. If you like the show, cool, but I just don't see the appeal.

HMM
02-06-22, 19:23
Basically Sons of Anarchy on horseback…. But I watch it as I always wanted to go back to the farm and raise cattle again.

m1a_scoutguy
02-06-22, 22:56
I have watched a few episodes through the years and really plan on watching from the start or at least trying! The ones I watched I enjoyed and yea, some pretty sketchy shit goes on, and seems like no one notices, LOL! But with that said I heard about and started watching 1883 which is when the Dutton family 1st goes west and I will say it is amazing, so I will finish this no matter how many seasons it goes and then start Yellowstone.

Biggy
02-11-22, 12:42
Yellowstone, Ozark, The Punisher, and currently watching my favorite, Breaking Bad. Next up is "Better call Saul"

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-11-22, 14:37
1883 is OK, the daughter just ends up being a whore it seems. I really would of rather had it from the Dad’s viewpoint, the mom’s viewpoint, or even the little kid/son.

Lacos
02-11-22, 14:41
If you haven’t watched Mayor of Kingstown, I highly recommend it. A+

m1a_scoutguy
02-11-22, 16:15
1883 is OK, the daughter just ends up being a whore it seems. I really would of rather had it from the Dad’s viewpoint, the mom’s viewpoint, or even the little kid/son.

LOL,, well said! Even I thought to myself WTF when she hit on Sam the Indian dude !:confused: I like her voice and how she tells the story but yea it's TV and somehow someway there gonna f#*k it up !! I'll keep watching and see where it goes but we all know they're not making it to Oregon/Montana this season!

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-11-22, 19:26
If you haven’t watched Mayor of Kingstown, I highly recommend it. A+

\WORD

Great character study. Really enjoyed it. Too many bodies, but that leads to great action.

SteyrAUG
11-24-22, 02:49
So watching this on Peacock (commercials are killing me), but it really is a great show.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-24-22, 08:58
It’s been pretty good so far. I want to see Beth and the dark haired lawyer….. go at ‘it’.

My wife likes it for the scenery. Being in urban Colorado now, but she grew up here, she misses more cows, less people. It really doesn’t resonate with her that she would be the people that the Dutton’s hate…

Spoiler guess: Why does no one see Kaycee’s half Indian kid as the solution to how to bring the Cowboy-Indian coalition together?

Inkslinger
11-24-22, 09:05
It’s been pretty good so far. I want to see Beth and the dark haired lawyer….. go at ‘it’.

My wife likes it for the scenery. Being in urban Colorado now, but she grew up here, she misses more cows, less people. It really doesn’t resonate with her that she would be the people that the Dutton’s hate…

Spoiler guess: Why does no one see Kaycee’s half Indian kid as the solution to how to bring the Cowboy-Indian coalition together?

I want to see them “go at it too”! [emoji6]

3 AE
11-24-22, 12:11
I watched pretty much all of the first four seasons in reruns and came away with the feeling I've seen this all before. Oh yeah, now I remember. They should call it "The Sopranos on Horseback"!

AKDoug
11-24-22, 14:39
I still can't see how this show was so popular, then 14 million people tried to buy Taylor Swift tickets on one day and I knew the answer.

SteyrAUG
11-24-22, 16:21
I watched pretty much all of the first four seasons in reruns and came away with the feeling I've seen this all before. Oh yeah, now I remember. They should call it "The Sopranos on Horseback"!

Yeah...not really.

gaijin
11-24-22, 17:33
I still can't see how this show was so popular, then 14 million people tried to buy Taylor Swift tickets on one day and I knew the answer.

Indeed.
My wife loves it. I watched 2 episodes and it felt like a Soap Opera. Have any number of things I’d prefer to do.

SteyrAUG
11-24-22, 19:53
I'm digging the Americana aspects.

I used to not fully get why hardcore libertarians saw Montana as some kind of promised land, but many would rather live in a hut made out of tires and freeze their ass off in the winter than live anywhere else.

The summer camp episodes really made me kind of understand. I was never an "old west" kind of guy. Hot, dirty and to me zero quality of life. But Montana ranch is like old world civilization. If I was younger, I could do it, but no place to be older. I also love the values and honor codes they attempt to live by.

As for the show, the corporate level of politics and violence isn't that much different from what was shown in The Terminal List. I also think the parallel story lines of the ranchers and the indians trying to retain or regain what was once theirs is interesting.