PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Comp M4 Red Dot Sight

Killer Angel
10-26-08, 01:46
At the moment,I am using an Aimpoint Comp M3 with my Colt M4 carbine and I am thinking of upgrading to to the Aimpoint Comp M4 red dot sight.Anyway,what are the advantages of the Aimpoint Comp M4 over the Comp M3 and would it be worth the upgrade?Also,I understand that the Aimpoint Comp M4 comes in the S version.What is the difference between the S version and the Non-S version ?What are the advantages of each over the other?And lastly,which do you personally prefer?
Thanks.

MisterWilson
10-26-08, 02:02
I'm as much of a flag-waving Aimpoint fan as anyone, but I cannot see the advantage to upgrading to the M4 from your situation.

Between the Aimpoint, an additional battery compartment on the switch, and perhaps one more in a LaRue mount, your children are already going to inherit that thing with juice to spare. You'd be taking a hit selling your used one and could likely buy another Aimpoint with the difference.

Now the T-1 micro on the other hand, that's a worthwhile upgrade. IIRC, you'd be losing almost a pound of weight and it uses regular watch batteries that are available at any grocery store or Walgreens.

ETA: The "S" version drops the brightness knob a little more out of the way to the lower right corner, whereas the original M4 is at the 1:30 position.

SMGLee
10-26-08, 02:29
I absolutely agree with Mr. wilson on the M4...I made the upgrade from my M2 to the M4S, it is bigger, and heavier, and for a weekend shooter like me, my old M2 was more than enough....

AS far as the T1...I love it...!!

MisterWilson
10-26-08, 02:42
Another thing about the T-1, rifles may come & go but that thing is so versatile you'll ALWAYS have something to put it on.

Also, while I've seen a used M4 here & there, I have yet to see a used T-1 for sale. Ever.

Some folks might call that a clue.

FJB
10-27-08, 15:32
I absolutely agree with Mr. wilson on the M4...I made the upgrade from my M2 to the M4S, it is bigger, and heavier, and for a weekend shooter like me, my old M2 was more than enough....

AS far as the T1...I love it...!!

Chin,
You are wrong. The CompM2 or CompM3 with mount weighs 11.7 ounces. The CompM4 or CompM4S weigh 11.8 ounces. Dimensionally they are the same. The CompM4 looks bigger only because the battery box gives it that appearance. The CompM4S with the battery box at the 5 O'Clock position gives the appearance that the sight is smaller.

FYI EO's w/AA batteries weigh 12.5 ounces and the Micro T-1 w/LT mount weighs 5.7 ounces.

Killer,
With regards to the whether to upgrade from a CompM3 to a CompM4 or CompM4S depends upon if you want an optic that uses an AA Battery, an improved switch knob, and has the mount bolted to the body of the sight. However, the CompM3 with a LaRue Tactical Mount is an excellent sight and will continue to provide years, if not decades of service.

If you haven't already make sure you watch the video clips "Aimpoint: The Red Dot Solution" at www.downrange.tv/show2

S/F

lanceriley
10-27-08, 19:57
im still looking on purhcasing my first eotech. looking at ML3 best buy? Planning to get it @larue tactical. can be had for $520 mount and RDS

austinN4
10-27-08, 20:24
im still looking on purhcasing my first eotech. looking at ML3 best buy? Planning to get it @larue tactical. can be had for $520 mount and RDS
Just curious - why go with a ML3 and mount for $520, when you could go with an H-1 and ADM mount for $522? http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=APH1ADMICRO

BushmasterFanBoy
10-27-08, 20:39
Just curious - why go with a ML3 and mount for $520, when you could go with an H-1 and ADM mount for $522? http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=APH1ADMICRO

The ML3 gives the user a preferred 30mm lens.
You get a choice of 2 MOA or 4 MOA dot.
Both have same battery life (around 50,000 hours).
The ML3 is rated to operate in a wider temperature range (-50F-160F) compared to (-20F-140F).
The ML3 also is water proof to a greater depth; 135ft compared to 15ft.
Not to mention the easier to actuate brightness knob.
The ML3 appears to be more rugged, though the H-1 is arguably "rugged enough", but when have members here ever stopped at "merely enough" :D.

AlanD
10-27-08, 22:15
I have M2, M3 and M4 on different rifles. Although I prefer the M4 to the others, I agree it is not worthwhile to purchase one to replace a M2 or M3 if that optic is working fine for you.

The M4’s integrated mount does make it much easier to mount and zero since there is no issue with mounting the scope perpendicular to the base within the rings of the mounting device (as with the M2 & M3), so that wind and elevation adjustments are true to axis.

lanceriley
10-27-08, 23:24
I know H1 is lighter

as for the rugedness all of us know we're just weekend shooters. and there's no way we're going to bang around our expensive toys. as for # of hours. we just turn on and off. we don't have long patrols and stuffs like that.

I chose the ML3 due to it's 50k hours and of course bigger 30mm tube. ML2 would probably still work for my purpose but ML3 is just a few dollars more.

as for temp and water resistance. there's no way im shooting in those conditions =)

I have to agree on the M4 that it is easier to mount. compared to the ML series.

msap
10-27-08, 23:50
There's a good article in this months issue of SWAT magazine on the M4s. It might answer some of your questions.

lanceriley
10-28-08, 00:05
id love to read that issue of swat magazine... unfortunately in this part of the world even magazines (reading materials) are hard to come by! :(

austinN4
10-28-08, 06:53
The ML3 gives the user a preferred 30mm lens.
You get a choice of 2 MOA or 4 MOA dot.
Both have same battery life (around 50,000 hours).
The ML3 is rated to operate in a wider temperature range (-50F-160F) compared to (-20F-140F).
The ML3 also is water proof to a greater depth; 135ft compared to 15ft.
Not to mention the easier to actuate brightness knob.
The ML3 appears to be more rugged, though the H-1 is arguably "rugged enough", but when have members here ever stopped at "merely enough" :D.
Thank you, but I already know the differences between the 2. I was asking lanceriley what his reasons were.

Robb Jensen
10-28-08, 07:25
At the moment,I am using an Aimpoint Comp M3 with my Colt M4 carbine and I am thinking of upgrading to to the Aimpoint Comp M4 red dot sight.Anyway,what are the advantages of the Aimpoint Comp M4 over the Comp M3 and would it be worth the upgrade?Also,I understand that the Aimpoint Comp M4 comes in the S version.What is the difference between the S version and the Non-S version ?What are the advantages of each over the other?And lastly,which do you personally prefer?
Thanks.

My favorite Aimpoints are my T1 and M4S.

The M4 series is very likely more durable than anything else Aimpoint makes. Watch the FJB videos. I know Aimpoint also has a M4 that survived after having a flash bang taped detonated that was out on a T&E.

If replacing a M3 with a M4 for no reason other than you want a M4 might not be feasible. But if buying new I'd say start with a M4. Battery life and better durability would be the best benefits.

My Aimpoint M4 on my Colt and my Aimpoint M4S on my 12" SBR both in Bobro mounts. Truly fantastic optics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/pwscolt.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/125SBR.jpg