PDA

View Full Version : I need a new reloading press--FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Uni-Vibe
07-02-18, 18:52
After 40 years, the old RCBS needs replacing. Unfortunately, RCBS presses are made in Red China and I don't want to buy one.

So: I need a new single stage press. I would prefer one with the option to attach a tubular priming unit on it.

What are y'all using? Any Redding users? If Redding is Made in USA, should I get one of them?

Any other suggestions?

Bob Sacamano
07-02-18, 19:00
Only single stage worth considering is a Forster Co-ax. Only negative is that once you use it you will wish you got one 40 years ago.

Lots of options for dedicated priming tools. RCBS makes a decent one :)

rjacobs
07-02-18, 19:08
Yup, 2nd the Co-Ax.

The priming on it is excellent, but its NOT fast, so a dedicated priming setup is needed if you need to prime a ton. For 100 its ok, but for 1000, no.

When I need to prime a lot of brass, I use my Dillon press just to prime.

Krazykarl
07-02-18, 19:13
Get the rcbs bench mounted priming tool. Good speed. Good sensitivity. Once you use it, you will never want to use your over leveraged resizing press again. Oh, by the way I use a Lee classic cast. Oversized for magnum cases, lube points, great leverage, best used primer collection system.

Uni-Vibe
07-02-18, 19:31
Yeow! Co-Ax is $330.00! What's so great about it? Looks hard to use with the handle sticking way up in the air?

shadowrider
07-02-18, 19:48
I wouldn't trade my Redding T7 for anything. I think you could press axle bearings on it if you could rig it up. :cool:

And it's sure nice to have a couple of calibers setup and ready to go. They do have a priming tube setup for it, but I've not used it enough yet to have much of an opinion whether it's better than a hand held but it does work.

Uni-Vibe
07-02-18, 20:53
Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet (!) and get a Forster Co-Ax and a RCBS bench mount priming tool.

Any other ideas?

gunnerblue
07-02-18, 21:19
If I ever replace my RCBS, it’ll be with a Redding T7. All of the strengths of a true single stage with the added speed of progressive die changes.

jack crab
07-02-18, 22:23
I would join the recommendations for the Redding T7. I recently added one to my old RCBS Rockchucker and Dillon 550b. It is like a progressive single stage. I don't think it gives up anything in the way of rigidity and strength for typical sizing and seating operations. You can adjust the dies the way you and not have to remove them for the next operation.

drtywk
07-02-18, 22:46
A Redding T7 will be replacing my RCBS, as soon as I can offload a new in box Rockchucker Supreme that I have. If I wasn't getting a T7, I would get the Co-Ax.

bigedp51
07-02-18, 22:58
After 40 years, the old RCBS needs replacing. Unfortunately, RCBS presses are made in Red China and I don't want to buy one.

So: I need a new single stage press. I would prefer one with the option to attach a tubular priming unit on it.

What are y'all using? Any Redding users? If Redding is Made in USA, should I get one of them?

Any other suggestions?

Don't believe all the rumors and the presses being made in China. They are still made in the USA by people who were tricked into voting for Trump by the Russians.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Reloading Press
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/gun-parts---accessories/reloading-equipment-and-tools---american/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-reloading-press.cfm?gun_id=100453570

https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_23034/gi_100453570/100453570_23034_461331D97759468A.JPG

Technical Information

Press Type: Single Stage
Frame Material: Cast Iron
Frame Design: O-Frame
Frame Offset:
Frame Opening Size:
Handle Location: Bottom Right or Left hand
Die Size Accepted: Standard 7/8"-14 threaded dies and 1-1/4"-12 dies with bushing removed
Die Bushing Accepted: Yes
Die Bushing Brand Used: RCBS
Spent Primer Collection System: Yes
Ram Stroke: 4"
Ram Diameter:
Priming Feature: Priming Arm, will also accept RCBS Ram Priming Unit (sold separately)
Number of Mounting Holes: 2
Mounting Hardware Included: No
Additional Features:
Warranty: Lifetime warranty for home reloaders, warranty does not cover equipment used for commercial purposes
Notes: Dies and Shellholders sold separately

Made In United States of America

drtywk
07-02-18, 23:05
Don't believe all the rumors and the presses being made in China. They are still made in the USA by people who were tricked into voting for Trump by the Russians.

Sorry your girl didn't win...

Uni-Vibe
07-02-18, 23:25
Hm, yeah, if you google it, there are photos of "Made in China" on boxes containing RCBS presses. Unless those photos are faked, Rock Chuckers are made by Xi Jinping.

And shopping I noticed that the very similar Redding Big Boss, definitely Made in USA, is quite a bit more expensive than the Rock Chucker.

I ordered a Big Boss 2 on sale from Sinclair just now. And a Forster bench priming tool. I've never been totally satisfied with priming on the press ram, although I never previously looked into any alternative. Bench priming tool looks more tactile and sensitive than the press ram priming method.

Bob Sacamano
07-03-18, 07:41
The Forster primer looks interesting. Should have stuck with the COax

390ish
07-03-18, 08:20
Forster is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
07-03-18, 08:34
I love my Big Boss 2. I have yet to try the Co-Ax. I wore out a LNL single stage due to the alloy body and small main shaft. The big boss 2 has a much beefier main shaft, and is cast iron.

Uni-Vibe
07-03-18, 17:13
Went ahead and ordered Big Boss 2, and also a RCBS bench priming tool.

markm
07-03-18, 17:51
I added the LNL conversion kit to my Big Boss 2. I do prime 300 WM, 308 WIN, and all my pistol brass with the Big Boss's priming system just so I don't have to convert my Sinclair hand primer from .223 shell holder/small primer.

mgrs
07-03-18, 18:41
I love my Big Boss 2. I have yet to try the Co-Ax. I wore out a LNL single stage due to the alloy body and small main shaft. The big boss 2 has a much beefier main shaft, and is cast iron.

You should. The shell plate mechanism and easy snap in/out die system alone are worth it.

markm
07-03-18, 18:45
You should. The shell plate mechanism and easy snap in/out die system alone are worth it.

That's kind of what the LNL conversion does for me on the Big Boss 2. If I had more room, I'd be tempted to grab one.

68ar15
07-10-18, 19:46

Any other suggestions?

Just get a Dillon 550. You can use it like a single stage. It’s versatile and robust. I got mine in 1991. It’s still like new

Rockzilla
07-11-18, 10:23
Been reloading a tad bit longer, have several of the ole Rock Chuckers still working great.
several ole Pro 7's, Projector's (pre LNL-AP) each still run good.and a LNL-AP
Dillon's, Big Boss II, each has their uses. Looking at another Co-ax but...
As far as priming use the old style Lee Auto-primes with the round trays
the ones that get the yellowing effect on the trays after many years of use.

-Rock

Uni-Vibe
07-12-18, 20:49
Sinclair sent me my press but the Post Office can't find it. They think it's in the building, but have no idea who did what with it. They admit that they have no idea of how to begin searching the building for it. Really. Easier to find 13 Wild Boars in a water filled cave than it is a package in a post office.

markm
07-13-18, 10:16
I'm rarely more disappointed in humanity than when I observe the imbeciles who work at the post office.

Uni-Vibe
07-13-18, 12:01
I'm rarely more disappointed in humanity than when I observe the imbeciles who work at the post office.

It really is astonishing. I'm used to interacting with .gov workers, which is an endless source of frustration, but USPS has to be the bottom of the barrel. I'm thinking I'm in a catch-22. Seller says they delivered it to the PO, PO says they have no record of recieving it, seller says . . . .

Post offices in general are hostile places.

(1) RKBA is prohibited.
(2) no place to take a leak.
(3) five places at the counter, one or two workers present.
(4) no place to sit, even for old folks or pregnant women.
(5) Workers move in slow motion, as if swimming in molasses.

markm
07-13-18, 12:21
I love it when the line is 12 deep, and the pea brain behind the counter wants to let the moron they're servicing pick through a bunch of different stamp designs.

Bob Sacamano
07-13-18, 12:27
They might have done you a favor. Better order a Co-ax in case they never find this one.

pinzgauer
07-14-18, 06:46
You should. The shell plate mechanism and easy snap in/out die system alone are worth it.Until you try the coax it makes no sense. Once you do, all the others seem crude and ineffecient.

markm
07-14-18, 08:50
I just watched a video of the Co-Ax. It looks pretty nice, but my main concern is the ergo of the press. I'm used to running a LOT of brass on my Big Boss 2, and like that the press arm is off to the right of the operating area. I just picture the Coax arm being too centered up for high volume de-cap or resize batches. I might be wrong though.

Quick change is no gain over the LNL conversion. Both are instant. I don't like to use those lock rings on my dies. I prefer mine wrenched into the LNL bushing, but that could just be that I started on a Dillon, and that's how I grew up setting dies.

The floating system looks nice, but the Big Boss is such a beast with a big main shaft/ram, that I've never felt the need for floating except for my neck expander die. And I just run that mandrel loose in the die for the same result.

The spent primer system is nice assuming you could remove that jar and run the hose into a bucket. I dump way too many primers to be emptying that little jar all the time.

Good looking press, but again, my main concern is ergo. Sitting on a stool punching hundreds of primers, I worry that the operating arm might slow down an already tedious task.

Uni-Vibe
07-14-18, 20:31
I quite agree with markm. That's why I ended up with the big boss 2. Now, if I can just get USPS to deliver it.

kwg020
07-15-18, 21:46
This press from Hornady is my next one. (if I live long enough to wear out my RCBS)
kwg

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-iron-press#!/

07-16-18, 16:49
I have a RCBS Reloader Special that I purchased in 1980 in excellent condition. My plan is to purchase either a Neil Jones FL Resizing Die or Redding Competition Resizing Die and a Wilson Stainless Steel Chamber Type Micrometer Seater Hand Die or Redding Competition Micrometer Bullet Seater. The reloading press will be used at home on a sturdy work bench. So any suggestions on a reloading press or presses I should purchase?

Keep the RCBS Reloader Special. Go with your choice of the Neil Jones FL Resizing Die if it has bushing capability and the Wilson Micrometer Seater. Purchase a new or used arbor press that you'll need for the Wilson Seater. ;)

ubet
07-17-18, 07:13
Have to say, after using my 650, even for precision rifle ammo, I couldn't go back to doing more than load development on a single stage. To hell with that nonsense!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

markm
07-17-18, 10:47
Have to say, after using my 650, even for precision rifle ammo, I couldn't go back to doing more than load development on a single stage. To hell with that nonsense!

I too load some of your precision .223 on my Dillon. But I couldn't do without a nice single stage to go with it.

mgrs
07-18-18, 21:44

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Load development or anything with powder that has to be individually measured. A Co-Ax and 650 or 1050 is a good combo.

Uni-Vibe
07-26-18, 00:46
Redding Big Boss 2, and RCBS bench primer seating tool, are to arrive tomorrow.

If y'all want, I can give an impression.

markm
07-26-18, 09:51
Redding Big Boss 2, and RCBS bench primer seating tool, are to arrive tomorrow.

If y'all want, I can give an impression.

For sure.

Uni-Vibe
07-26-18, 22:49
YAY! After three weeks of farting around, it turns out that USPS found the package in the post office, and instead of giving it to me, sent it back to the seller. Seller credited me. I re-ordered and the Big Boss 2 and RCBS bench priming tool arrived this evening (this time via UPS brown truck).

I didn't have time or 5/16" bolts to set it up, but this thing looks massive. Makes my old 1978 RCBS Jr. Press look small. It has a long handle with a large smooth ball on the end. It has an insert which you can remove, I presume to put very large dies in for very large cartridges. It has a hollow ram and a fitting for a hose at the bottom, to take away spent primers during the sizing/decapping cycle. I'm interested to see how well that works. It also has a primitive manual priming arm, but I'm going to pull that off and use the RCBS bench priming tool. I used to prime on the old JR press so a separate tool is something I have to figure out.

This thing looks like it's super strong. It's all made in USA. The casting is massive and the steel fittings such as the handle are heavy gauge. Looks like you could do tougher jobs like case forming if you wanted to.

I'd post photos if I knew how, but I don't.

I'm going to get fired up this weekend; first thing I'm going to do is load some fairly heavy .357 158 grain loads for my new Smith 686.

I'll let y'all know how she runs.

shadowrider
07-27-18, 00:07
YAY! After three weeks of farting around, it turns out that USPS found the package in the post office, and instead of giving it to me, sent it back to the seller. Seller credited me. I re-ordered and the Big Boss 2 and RCBS bench priming tool arrived this evening (this time via UPS brown truck).

I didn't have time or 5/16" bolts to set it up, but this thing looks massive. Makes my old 1978 RCBS Jr. Press look small. It has a long handle with a large smooth ball on the end. It has an insert which you can remove, I presume to put very large dies in for very large cartridges. It has a hollow ram and a fitting for a hose at the bottom, to take away spent primers during the sizing/decapping cycle. I'm interested to see how well that works. It also has a primitive manual priming arm, but I'm going to pull that off and use the RCBS bench priming tool. I used to prime on the old JR press so a separate tool is something I have to figure out.

This thing looks like it's super strong. It's all made in USA. The casting is massive and the steel fittings such as the handle are heavy gauge. Looks like you could do tougher jobs like case forming if you wanted to.

I'd post photos if I knew how, but I don't.

I'm going to get fired up this weekend; first thing I'm going to do is load some fairly heavy .357 158 grain loads for my new Smith 686.

I'll let y'all know how she runs.

It’s always frustrating when USPS screws the pooch because it's always something like this.

As to the primer tube. That's the "cheesiest" looking part of my T7 turret press. I keep expecting it to fall off needing replacement. But I'm past 5 years now and it's still hanging on and the little cap is still working to hold the spent ones in, so I guess it's not real "cheesy" after all. Good choice on going with Redding.

Fun Fact: When I bought my T7 I was looking at it, along with the Big Boss and Ultimag I think. I emailed them telling them I really wanted the T7 and was wondering how it would hold up to running high quantities of .40SW brass the their GRX die since they can be pretty tough. I was shooting USPSA Limited then and the plan was to shoot a lot. They replied that the T7 would have no issues and told me that they had sent one to Sierra Bullets years ago. Sierra called them up wanting a couple of replacement parts for it. They told them they would send a new press and that they wanted the old one back to evaluate. Why? Sierra told them they had loaded over 2 million rounds on it...

markm
07-27-18, 09:59
It also has a primitive manual priming arm, but I'm going to pull that off and use the RCBS bench priming tool.

The priming thing just swings out of the way. No need to remove it. When it's mounted you simply flip it towards you and it just hangs.

Uni-Vibe
07-27-18, 17:24
REDDING BIG BOSS 2
RCBS BENCH PRIMING TOOL

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: both these work well.

I just loaded up fifty .357 magnums on the new Redding Boss 2 press. (13.0 of AA9 under 158 grain JSP, in case anybody cares. Not mega-hot, but not .38+p either).

This press has a compound-arm system that generates more force than the simple RCBS Jr. press I had. But it still has the "feel" you need when setting up a roll crimp die. It seems very well made. It's a bit stiff to operate, but I figure it'll wear in with a bit of use. I had to reset my dies because the dimensions are different from the old press. Once done, this need not be changed. My RCBS shellholder snapped in and out perfectly.

I set it up for .38 spl and then used the spacer ring that you can get from RCBS to create the additional distance required for the longer .357 case. You can do this with .44 spl /magnum as well. The sizing die doesn't need this, but the flaring, seating and crimping dies do. Beats having two die sets, or having to reset your die when switching back and forth.

Overall impression is positive. The handle is long enough for leverage, and there is a big smooth ball on the end so your hand doesn't get tired. The spent primers fall through the hollow ram. There is a metal fitting on the bottom of the ram for a plastic tube (supplied) but I didn't hook up the tube. I just put a trash can under the press and the primers are deposited neatly in the trash can.

This feature has two benefits over my old RCBS press. (1) Spent-primer dooke does not pollute the press and the work bench. (2) No chance of what used to occasionally happen with the RCBS, which used a plastic tray to catch the spent primers, namely, bumping the tray and spilling a hundred old primers and spent-primer dookie on the floor. Very nice feature.

RCBS bench priming tool: This is what's really cool. All this time I've been priming on the press, when the ram comes down from the expand/flare cycle. But with the new press I got the RCBS bench priming tool. It works very well. You can feel the seating action much better than when using a press. Everybody should get one of these. True, it is one more step in the process, and takes more time. But I guess I don't mind, because I already use a four die set for all handgun calibers, and that's an additional step as well.

markm
07-27-18, 18:21
It's a bit stiff to operate, but I figure it'll wear in with a bit of use.

I usually use grease on my press shafts. When I subbed oil on the Big Boss, it made a big difference in the stiff feel.

Uni-Vibe
08-03-18, 18:02
Big Boss is broken in now. Oiled the guts with a drop of CLP. Works smoothly. This is a good strong press.

markm
08-04-18, 13:16
Mine is crusty looking and has a lot of miles on it, but it's still as solid as it was new.

Uni-Vibe
08-21-18, 00:53
I can't overstress how cool the off-press RCBS Bench Priming Tool is. I should have gotten into this years ago. It is an extra step, but you get so much more fine control and sensitivity out of it as opposed to the press priming arm. I recommend it for everybody.l

Krazykarl
08-21-18, 06:20
Glad you like it! Good speed and sensitivity.

markm
08-21-18, 10:06
I can't overstress how cool the off-press RCBS Bench Priming Tool is.

Wow. I just watched a video of this. I'm going to have to clear some bench space.