PDA

View Full Version : Best Ambi Selector (lightweight)?

joeg26er
07-03-18, 19:41
Building a Lightweight 300BLK pistol

Looking for the Best Ambi Selector (lightweight)?

I've had Seekins and Battle Arms.

Battle Arms Lightweight is nice but pricey. Like the switchlike levers.

The Seekins is actually cheaper but heaver and I don't like the lever's shape, texture and actuation is slightly mushier.

Have an eye on the Radian ambi and want to know any pros/cons and actual use feedback?

Also looking at the Ascend Armory ambi selector.

My primary reason for posting this is to get some good suggestions for other selectors I may not be aware of besides Battle Arms (LW) or Radian
selectors that have a similar actuation / switch design as the Battle Arms and quality

For some context of my LW build- I am spending the $ to build a LW 300BLK pistol that's going to be sub 5 lbs With Optic (sub 6 with suppressor) I don't want to be wasting $ on standard / heavier parts
It is a LW build for hunting hogs on foot in brush etc

To clarify
My intent is not for the lightest possible selector as there are options out there. I think people latched onto that a bit too hard.

My goal for this selector is:

1) selector similar in quality and weight to the Battle Arms LW selector (which I have in two lowers)
2) ambi
3) not mushy like the Seekins ambi I have
4) reliable and compatible with my SDC triggers ( I have heard reports of some selectors not being compatible?)

Iraqgunz
07-03-18, 19:51
Not a technical subject.

titsonritz
07-03-18, 20:11
I've never bought any lightweight components outside of barrels, handguards, optics & mounts so take this for what its worth...

The Talon is pretty slick, the levers are held in place with spring and detents rather than screws (not that it matters just a point) it is also changeable between 45 & 90 degree throws without complete deassembly. The selection of levers is not as numerous as BAD. I went with the medium on my primary side and the mdeium tapered to the off side. The actuation is also slightly mushier than the BAD. I would say check them out if you haven't.

I also have a couple BAD-ASS and a BAD-CASS but nothing LW, I like them all but if I were to standardize on one it would be the BAD-ASS.

TheWambo
07-03-18, 20:36
Just picked up a Radian Talon selector and although I cant speak to the weight vs the Seekins Precision selector I used prior (havent weighed them), but the Radian is significantly nicer in my opinion.

Much more positive engagement, levers offer good purchase but are much sleeker and more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

The Seekins selctor is good, but a little rough texture wise, and wobbly/soft on engagement.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180704/5add1ca7e4971330a742628ce3decf28.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Stickman
07-03-18, 21:03
The minimal weight difference, combined with the located position on the weapon negates any felt difference in terms of being lightweight. If you are looking at quality, there are a variety out on the market, and Radian makes some of the very good ones.

HeruMew
07-03-18, 21:16
I like the Joebob Outfitters Ambi.

It's shaved down on the strong side to make the trigger finger feels better.

100% agree you won't notice any real differences.

alx01
07-03-18, 22:15
Aim Surplus ambi selector is very lightweight (surprisingly so much lighter than USGI) and only $20: https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMLAMBI

I have one, but haven't installed it yet, so I can't comment on function.

Regular USGI: short right side lever - Colt, or both sides long worked fine for me. Not sure if there would be an appreciable weight difference vs a lightweight one.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-03-18, 22:35
Is this a serious thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27
07-03-18, 23:51
Is this a serious thread?

Yeah I think it’s a first.

OP, BAD and Radian are the only two aftermarket selectors worth looking at IMO. I chose the Radian and like it a lot. Convertible from 45 to 90, cheaper than the BAD IIRC, and I don’t have to sort between 3.4 million lever combinations. Typically I like being able to choose stuff, but there were so many BAD options that it turned me off to them.

I’m not even sure what to say about the weight.

26 Inf
07-04-18, 01:19
OP -

I have a couple of V-7 three gun safeties that I really like, I've switched them around to where they are on the two rifles I shoot the most. The levers have a pretty aggressive saw tooth that you may not like, but they are light. The core of the safety is made of titanium (gasp!) so I guess they are high speed. They are essentially 60/90 reversable. They have a nice crisp detent click yet are not overly stiff.

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/v-seven-hybrid-3-gun-sport-rh-selectors/

I don't remember where I got them, they were on sale, I want to say I paid less than 40.00.

GH41
07-04-18, 07:38
I have had a Talon (Before AXTS changed their name to Radian) If your not sure about the fit spend the extra 20 bucks and get the 4 levor set. It can be installed as a 90 or 45 degree throw. Best feature is no screws.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-04-18, 07:44
OP, I’m not sure if you’re aware but, in reference to your light weight build..

When an area of the body is injured through impact or over-use, the lymphatic fluid builds up causing inflammation and swelling. This accumulation of lymphatic fluids may cause increased pressure on muscles and tissue which can cause significant discomfort or pain*.

It is believed that when applied correctly, KT Tape lifts the skin, decompressing the layers of fascia, allowing for greater movement of lymphatic fluid which transports white blood cells throughout the body and removes waste products, cellular debris, and bacteria.

joeg26er
07-04-18, 08:06
OP, I’m not sure if you’re aware but, in reference to your light weight build..

When an area of the body is injured through impact or over-use, the lymphatic fluid builds up causing inflammation and swelling. This accumulation of lymphatic fluids may cause increased pressure on muscles and tissue which can cause significant discomfort or pain*.

It is believed that when applied correctly, KT Tape lifts the skin, decompressing the layers of fascia, allowing for greater movement of lymphatic fluid which transports white blood cells throughout the body and removes waste products, cellular debris, and bacteria.

I think you pasted something you did not mean to?

joeg26er
07-04-18, 08:08
OP -

I have a couple of V-7 three gun safeties that I really like, I've switched them around to where they are on the two rifles I shoot the most. The levers have a pretty aggressive saw tooth that you may not like, but they are light. The core of the safety is made of titanium (gasp!) so I guess they are high speed. They are essentially 60/90 reversable. They have a nice crisp detent click yet are not overly stiff.

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/v-seven-hybrid-3-gun-sport-rh-selectors/

I don't remember where I got them, they were on sale, I want to say I paid less than 40.00.

Wow- that is a good deal. Those have been on my radar but not my purchase list as they are a bit more than the BAD LW levers...and not much lighter AFAIK

jpmuscle
07-04-18, 08:14
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180704/417b22f52280643c786f44b572f4a0bf.png

Outlander Systems
07-04-18, 08:18
KT Tape has allowed me to carry heavier weapons when the layers of my fascia are properly compressed.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-04-18, 09:05
KT Tape has allowed me to carry heavier weapons when the layers of my fascia are properly compressed.

Acute distal detached fascia can be exceedingly painful, especially in the shoulders, elbows and Falange’s.

Outlander Systems
07-04-18, 09:24
Mr Goodtimes, once I’ve cut the weight down using ultralight components, and supporting my fascia with KT Tape, if I need to take it further I’ve been using one of these:

https://youtu.be/ueNjFzFpb_Q

contax_shooter
07-04-18, 09:29
Is there a specific brand of KT tape that Larry Vickers endorses?

Inkslinger
07-04-18, 09:37
Is there a specific brand of KT tape that Larry Vickers endorses?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180704/41b616fe35d826c8b42b94e8a96e4834.jpg

Outlander Systems
07-04-18, 09:47
This guy knows...

jpmuscle
07-04-18, 09:52

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180704/920cc5349c9e1a1a768fa1354d5294c8.jpg

joeg26er
07-04-18, 09:57
very funny guys

LOL

anyway- my primary reason for posting this is to get some good suggestions for other selectors I may not be aware of besides Battle Arms (LW) or Radian
selectors that have a similar actuation / switch design as the Battle Arms and quality

For some context of my LW build- I am spending the $ to build a LW 300BLK pistol that's going to be sub 5 lbs With Optic (sub 6 with suppressor) I don't want to be wasting $ on standard / heavier parts
It is a LW build for hunting hogs on foot in brush etc :)

Mr. Goodtimes
07-04-18, 09:58
Mr Goodtimes, once I’ve cut the weight down using ultralight components, and supporting my fascia with KT Tape, if I need to take it further I’ve been using one of these:

https://youtu.be/ueNjFzFpb_Q

So not to derail the OP’s thread too much but I saw this on Instagram a couple months back and thought it was pretty cool and am very interested to see how it takes off. I’ve also recently found a smoking deal on a like new Pacesaver Fusion 250 mobility scooter and I’m wondering, do you think it would somehow be possible to integrate this device with my pace saver?

Here’s a picture for reference....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180704/efd09896e1eb08ddcee59cd544ee9584.jpg

joeg26er
07-04-18, 10:12
Aim Surplus ambi selector is very lightweight (surprisingly so much lighter than USGI) and only $20: https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMLAMBI

I have one, but haven't installed it yet, so I can't comment on function.

Regular USGI: short right side lever - Colt, or both sides long worked fine for me. Not sure if there would be an appreciable weight difference vs a lightweight one.

@alx01 - thanks for this suggestion. Please LMK your thoughts when you have it installed. It looks very much like the BAD selectors shape. It could be a viable option

TheWambo
07-04-18, 10:18

What kind of weight margin are you dealing with for this part in reference to the rest of your build (or simply whats your top weight budget for this part?)

Unless you're going titanium construction most of these selectors are only fractions of an ounce different in weight. Pretty much all of them are a steel cylinder with aluminum levers. Not trying to dig your build just trying to get a idea of how light you need this part to be to meet your goal.

To echo some other people, the location of this part directly over the firing hand places the weight in an ideal position, to the hand the weight difference will not be perceivable (you'll only see it on the scale).

Additionally this is a component that you can't afford to have fail, and you'll probably get a lot more enjoyment using a marginally heavier but more ergonomic option.

I understand the quest for a superlight build but this is a part where you're gonna spend a whole lot of money for a few grains of weight savings and a potentially less reliable fire control component.

jpmuscle
07-04-18, 10:20
very funny guys

LOL

anyway- my primary reason for posting this is to get some good suggestions for other selectors I may not be aware of besides Battle Arms (LW) or Radian

Lol it’s all in fun bro but seriously LW selector is so far outside the bounds of rational discussion I’m surprised the cosmos didn’t explode.

It’s not important

joeg26er
07-04-18, 10:24
What kind of weight margin are you dealing with for this part in reference to the rest of your build (or simply whats your top weight budget for this part?)

Unless you're going titanium construction most of these selectors are only fractions of an ounce different in weight. Pretty much all of them are a steel cylinder with aluminum levers. Not trying to dig your build just trying to get a idea of how light you need this part to be to meet your goal.

To echo some other people, the location of this part directly over the firing hand places the weight in an ideal position, to the hand the weight difference will not be perceivable (you'll only see it on the scale).

Additionally this is a component that you can't afford to have fail, and you'll probably get a lot more enjoyment using a marginally heavier but more ergonomic option.

I understand the quest for a superlight build but this is a part where you're gonna spend a whole lot of money for a few grains of weight savings and a potentially less reliable fire control component.

@thewambo

Thanks I appreciate the intelligent conversation and info. My intent is not for the lightest possible as there are options out there. I think people latched onto that a bit too hard.

1) selector similar in quality and weight to the Battle Arms LW selector (which I have in two lowers)
2) ambi
4) reliable and compatible with my SDC triggers ( I have heard reports of some selectors not being compatible?)

It appears that nobody has a better suggestion other than that AIM surplus selector which looks suprisingly similar to the Battle Arms LW ambi at less than half the price
but since I have heard no reports about how nicely it actuates nor it's reliability I'm hesitant to settle on that

Dionysusigma
07-04-18, 10:33
1) Install unpolished USGI FCG
2) Ask the local gunsmith for stiffer springs that earlier customers and install, optimally resulting in a 12lb+ trigger pull
3) Skip the installation of the safety selector altogether, saving even more weight on the selector, detent, spring, and the material initially removed from the lower receiver for their installation
4) Follow Rule 2 ("Keep your finger off the trigger")

Seriously, save weight by running the skinniest barrel, lightest grain bullet, and Magpul MBUS sights with no optic. If it still runs reliably and is still too heavy, look into lower-mass BCGs paired with lighter buffers and/or heavier buffer springs. If it's still too heavy, get a quality, padded, wide sling.

TheWambo
07-04-18, 10:33
My intent is not for the lightest possible as there are options out there. I think people latched onto that a bit too hard.

2) ambi

Gotcha thanks for the clarification.

Eurodriver
07-04-18, 10:58
I don’t wear condoms because they’re too heavy.

And they don’t fit.

Ask jpmuscle.

jpmuscle
07-04-18, 11:24

And they don’t fit.

Ask jpmuscle.

Pringles Can

26 Inf
07-04-18, 12:06
Pringles Can

One day over lunch we were discussing the fact that the cleaning ladies had found a used condom on the floor in one of the rooms. Since our dorm was not co-ed a big big big investigation, similar to the Lindberg kidnapping case was ensuing.

One of the guys jokingly said one of the other guys at the table was in there banging a student. Jason (made up name) was trying to think up a response when a third guy said 'I've seen Jason in the shower, and I've seen the condom, it wasn't Jason, the condom was unrolled all the way.'

Hilarity ensued, food was spewed.

GH41
07-04-18, 12:54

And they don’t fit.

Ask jpmuscle.

You could cut the fingers off a surgical glove for improvised rubbers that fit.

TomMcC
07-04-18, 14:06
So not to derail the OP’s thread too much but I saw this on Instagram a couple months back and thought it was pretty cool and am very interested to see how it takes off. I’ve also recently found a smoking deal on a like new Pacesaver Fusion 250 mobility scooter and I’m wondering, do you think it would somehow be possible to integrate this device with my pace saver?

Here’s a picture for reference....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180704/efd09896e1eb08ddcee59cd544ee9584.jpg

I need both of these for 3gun. Old and weak with blown wheels.

TomMcC
07-04-18, 14:11
This has turned into a similar thread over at Enos about the best deodorant, socks, battery etc etc for 3gun.

joeg26er
07-04-18, 15:01
Wow that escalated quickly
This thread sure got thoroughly hi jacked and derailed
And to think I got an infraction for simply posting “tagged for interest “ on some other threads

/ thread

TomMcC
07-04-18, 15:08
Wow that escalated quickly
This thread sure got thoroughly hi jacked and derailed
And to think I got an infraction for simply posting “tagged for interest “ on some other threads

/ thread

Just guys having fun on a holiday.

You got to admit that trying to save milligrams on a selector is maybe, just maybe asking for some good natured ribbing.

Iraqgunz
07-04-18, 18:12
OP- I think the point some are trying to make is that there are 99 problems to worry about and the lightweight selector ain't one.

titsonritz
07-04-18, 23:54
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?169707-Project-%DCberlight-sub-4lb-SBR-sub-5lb-suppressed-SBR&p=2129663&highlight=manimal#post2129663

bobbytucson
07-05-18, 00:28
Troy amd radian, i love both, if i had to pick between the 2, troy for tactile positivity, radians for smoothness and quietness

RHINOWSO
07-06-18, 11:54

26 Inf
07-06-18, 13:19

Aww, come on, that was good.

Moose-Knuckle
07-06-18, 14:21
You could cut the fingers off a surgical glove for improvised rubbers that fit.

Anyone ever get the sense that they’ve witnessed something truly incredible on the internet?

Yea

556BlackRifle
07-07-18, 13:26
I have BAD, Talon, V-Seven on several rifles. My last few builds have been all been done with milspec selectors. They all get the job done but some do it cheaper.

Morpheus171
07-11-18, 19:42
I've got Talons and a BAD-ASS. Both are very good. If I had to choose one it would be the Radian Talon. Just seems smoother and more positive and no screw on the off side to worry about getting lost.

07-12-18, 10:01
I am a big fan if the seekins ambi selectors. Most of my rifles have one. They don't break the bank either at under 40.00