PDA

View Full Version : Colt half circle carrier, how bad?

packinheavy
10-26-08, 11:08
I just ordered a BCM carrier to replace the one I had in one of my rifles. Reading one of Grants threads prompted me to change it out as this rifle is the one I built to be pretty much a clone of my issued M4 and would be the one I would chose for serious use.

Just how bad are these Colt carriers?

They have so much material removed on them I almost don't want to use it in another rifle. I can live with the material removed on the rear, but why did they take off the metal around the firing pin? Is that going to tear up the pin and hammer?

I guess it will fine in a toy. Most of my rifles fall into that category.

Robb Jensen
10-26-08, 11:22
They're great carriers. You can make up the weight that they don't have using a heavier buffer.

Ideally if buying a new carrier and you don't own one I'd say buy a M16 carrier. I prefer carriers that have shrouded firing pins. But there is nothing wrong with a Colt 1/2 carrier. By no means should you ever replace a 1/2 circle carrier just because.

packinheavy
10-26-08, 11:37
Ok, that's good to know.

The BCM I ordered is a M16 carrier. Most of my guns have full auto carriers for the slightly extra weight.

I have used this one for several years in this rifle but never gave it much thought until I started to read on the finer points of making a rifle ready for duty use.

I had previously really only worried about the bolt and barrel. All of my barrels are either Colt or USGI chrome lined and the bolts are MPC. I do need to check the staking on all of my carriers.

I will use it in another rifle and not worry. I always need more parts so it isn't like the new one coming will just sit around.

Thanks again. :)

JBnTX
10-26-08, 12:07
...Just how bad are these Colt carriers? ...

What makes you think they are bad?

They were designed to prevent automatic fire.

Unless you're firing automatic, they're perfectly good carriers.

packinheavy
10-26-08, 12:14
What makes you think they are bad?

They were designed to prevent automatic fire.

Unless you're firing automatic, they're perfectly good carriers.

Mainly how much metal was removed from them. That was my only concern.

I didn't know if the firing pin or hammer would be battered by the rearward motion of the carrier as well since the firing pin cocks the hammer vs. the carrier itself.

I know more about the full auto carriers since I use them at work and home. The Colt half circle looks like it is anorexic. ;)