PDA

View Full Version : Favorite recipes for the family

Krazykarl
07-06-18, 21:19
I know my place in the house hold. My time is spent either in the shop making saw dust or in the kitchen making meals that excite me and maybe even the children. It also doesn't help that I am a firefighter, and yes we all have to cook. Some are better than others. My kids have a few firehouse dinner favorites as well that I have made for them. What are your favorite meals that are home prepared, satisfying, and consumed by picky eaters? My favorite? Grilled balsamic vinegar and garlic pork loin with seasoned oven roasted red potatoes, carrots, and brussel sprouts. Picky firemen and my kids both eat it. Please share! I need some more variety!

MegademiC
07-06-18, 22:20
My wife came up with a great dish:
Chicken chunks sauted and just before its done, glaze balsamic vinegar on it.
Spinach or herb pasta
Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil chopped over the top as a garnish.

My dish is pork, chops or chunks.
Just before they are done, cover in franks, lime juice, a splash of hienz57 or warchestershire sauce, a splash of honey or apricot jelly, and a generous pinch of sage.

Add vegetable of choice.

elephant
07-07-18, 00:09
Mac and Cheese with brisket.

The cheese sauce is made with Land o Lakes American, Velveeta, Land o Lakes butter with a milk and made separately.

The noodles are elbow shape and pressure steamed instead of boiled.

The brisket is from the same people that make Wolf Brand Chili and Ranch Style Beans.

Put noodles in bowl, place brisket in center of noodles, pour cheese sauce until half of the bowl is full. Stir. Enjoy.

dmd08
07-07-18, 00:29
Teriyaki marinated flank steak and parmesan crusted asparagus grilled and served with garlic mashed potatoes. Our family favorite.

AKDoug
07-07-18, 01:37
I'll preface that I don't cater to picky eaters. Don't have time for that.

I'm a chronic smoker... the standards... pork shoulder, ribs, brisket. I cheat according to my buddies because I use a Traeger, but I also don't have to dick around with lump charcoal and wood. They all agree that I'm better at it than they are..haha..

On hot days I like to make quick meals on the grill. Whip up a cilantro chimichurri sauce, put a couple steaks on the grill along with a bunch of onions, various sweat peppers and a poblano chili. Slice up the steak and put it all in warmed up tortillas.

One of our family favorites that is easy to size up and down for how many people you have is jambalaya. I hate to admit that one of the best jambalaya recipes that everyone seems to like is one I got out of a Better Homes and Gardens cook book. https://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/jambalaya/

Lately I've been messing with Instant Pot recipes. I marinated two pork chops last night in the left over chimichurri sauce for 24hrs. Put two sweet potatoes down in the bottom of the I.P. and a little water. Put the chops on top and cooked them for 15min with a natural depressurization of about 15 minutes. Oddly delicious. We also do country ribs and chili in the IP on a regular basis.

Honu
07-07-18, 01:50
Fried rice I make :)
Lots meat Hawaiian style

Slow cooker chili wife makes

Pizza we make the dough sauce from tomatoes etc.....
We do not make the cheese though but insane good

We cook from basic or scratch a lot sit down family dinners etc...

titsonritz
07-07-18, 04:04
I make a big pot of carnitas, the kids put together whatever they want from there...tacos, nachos, burritos, tortas, chimichangas, goes good scramble eggs the next day, too.

My potato leek soup is always a winner

so is my chicken Thia basil

Krazykarl
07-07-18, 16:31
We should put together a cook book! I knew moving to the Midwest would cause a shift in cuisine. Fresh fish no longer an option. My brother on the west coast has the ocean in his back yard. Fish, crab, clams...

But it is also interesting how my local cuisine now consists of recipes that I never heard of in Oregon. Paprikosh, paczkis, babba cake, and other Polish influenced flavors are here and delicious.

SilverBullet432
07-07-18, 18:11
I’ve been known to cook a mean bowl of cereal �� ;)

JK,

I enjoy cooking ribeyes and shrimp boils.

AndyLate
07-07-18, 21:14
I don't cook my family...

Andy

C-grunt
07-07-18, 21:32
About a year ago my wife found a very easy yet super delicious pot roast recipe called "Mississippi Mud".

Put pot roast in slow cooker. Put packet of powder ranch mix on top. Put packet of powder Au Jus mix on top. 1 stick of butter on top. 5 pepperoncinis in the pot. Slow cook for 8 hours.

kwelz
07-07-18, 21:46
Salsa Chicken.

Big Crock pot.
4-6 Chicken breasts.
A couple bottles of the salsa of your choice.
1 can of Corn
1 can of diced tomatoes.
Taco seasoning.
Lime juice.
top off with water.

Let it cook all day.

Serve over rice or as a soup.

Easy and damn good. Plus easy to customise for your preference.

26 Inf
07-07-18, 23:45
About a year ago my wife found a very easy yet super delicious pot roast recipe called "Mississippi Mud".

Put pot roast in slow cooker. Put packet of powder ranch mix on top. Put packet of powder Au Jus mix on top. 1 stick of butter on top. 5 pepperoncinis in the pot. Slow cook for 8 hours.

Sounds good, I'll give it a shot.

26 Inf
07-07-18, 23:51
Salsa Chicken.

Big Crock pot.
4-6 Chicken breasts.
A couple bottles of the salsa of your choice.
1 can of Corn
1 can of diced tomatoes.
Taco seasoning.
Lime juice.
top off with water.

Let it cook all day.

Serve over rice or as a soup.

Easy and damn good. Plus easy to customise for your preference.

We do just about the same thing but add some black beans, peppers and onions to the mix. I believe my wife also uses canned chicken broth. Sometimes we shred or chunk the chicken for soup and sometimes we do it over rice as you noted. Generally no leftovers.

SteyrAUG
07-08-18, 00:14
I have the worlds greatest shrimp scampi recipe.

Krazykarl
07-08-18, 07:43
I have the worlds greatest shrimp scampi recipe.

My daughter loves shrimp. Can you elaborate on this recipe?

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-08-18, 12:57
I make 10pounds (of meat) Italian Meatballs and put them in freezer bag dinner-sized portions for when I'm on the road and the wife is stuck late at work. My son will eat anything (outside of vegetables) that I make.

2/3 80% ground beef
1/3 Italian sausage
Cup of bread crumbs per 3lbs of meat
1/2 container of grated parmesean cheese
1 egg per pound of meat
Container of Italian seasoning per 10 lbs
1/2 McCormicks Montreal Steak seasoning
Salt
Pepper

Mix it all, then put 1/2 bread crumbs/1/2 grated parm in a medium bowl and the rest of the McCormicks steak seasoning.

1 1/2inch meatballs that get rolled in the above. Bake them in the oven till the centers are 170F. (Kids eat cooked meat). I cook them at like 425F in a cake pan with a silicone matt on the bottom that is pyramids. You can also use muffin pans.

Cool them on a rack. Ziploc'em and enjoy for the next 3-4 months.

Cut them in half to nuke them. Add sauce and spaghetti. Even my MIL is a fan.

Not saying they are gourmet, but more that my kids like them, it makes my wife's life easier and it's funny to watch my kids get older and they still call them "Daddy Meatballs".

SteyrAUG
07-08-18, 16:15
My daughter loves shrimp. Can you elaborate on this recipe?

What you will need:

1 Pound FRESH (Peeled and deveined cooked shrip)
1 batch of Green Onion
1 Jar of Chopped Garlic in Oil
2 Sticks of REAL Butter
1 Bag of Parmesian Cheese (No Green Can)
1 Lemon or Lemon Juice
1 Bottle White Zinfandel

First, tail and rinse the shrimp in cold water.

Second, Chop green onions.

Third, in a skillet over low-medium heat (3 of 10) add both sticks of butter, chopped green onions, 1-2 tablespoons of garlic and lemon juice. Let it simmer.

If you want sweet scampi you have it, if you prefer it a bit dry add a shot or two of white zin.

When it begins to simmer, add shrimp and a thin layer of parmesian cheese. Remember, the shrimp is ALREADY cooked, you are only heating it. DO NOT OVERCOOK IT. As soon as the parmesian melts, turn each individual shrimp and recover with more cheese.

When the new cheese layer melts, you are done.

Serve in a pool of butter/garlic sauce.

Another option is to serve over angel hair pasta. A useful trick and will make it seem like more food. Hopefully you know how to boil pasta and have it ready prior to the shrimp. Drain it and stir in a shot of olive oil to keep it from getting sticky.

Business_Casual
07-08-18, 19:17
Look up Heroin Chicken.

Hmac
07-08-18, 19:32
What you will need:

1 Pound FRESH (Peeled and deveined cooked shrip)
1 batch of Green Onion
1 Jar of Chopped Garlic in Oil
2 Sticks of REAL Butter
1 Bag of Parmesian Cheese (No Green Can)
1 Lemon or Lemon Juice
1 Bottle White Zinfandel

First, tail and rinse the shrimp in cold water.

Second, Chop green onions.

Third, in a skillet over low-medium heat (3 of 10) add both sticks of butter, chopped green onions, 1-2 tablespoons of garlic and lemon juice. Let it simmer.

If you want sweet scampi you have it, if you prefer it a bit dry add a shot or two of white zin.

When it begins to simmer, add shrimp and a thin layer of parmesian cheese. Remember, the shrimp is ALREADY cooked, you are only heating it. DO NOT OVERCOOK IT. As soon as the parmesian melts, turn each individual shrimp and recover with more cheese.

When the new cheese layer melts, you are done.

Serve in a pool of butter/garlic sauce.

Another option is to serve over angel hair pasta. A useful trick and will make it seem like more food. Hopefully you know how to boil pasta and have it ready prior to the shrimp. Drain it and stir in a shot of olive oil to keep it from getting sticky.I like that and I’m going to try it, but I’m a true garlic lover and every scampi recipe that I’ve ever tried that I really liked started with marinating uncooked shrimp for an hour in a little olive oil, a little salt, and 3-4 grated garlic cloves. Those are the shrimp I’m going to use for your recipe.

ABNAK
07-08-18, 19:48
Sounds good, I'll give it a shot.

Good recipe, but try adding a can of Campbell's Condensed French Onion Soup and it contributes a little more moisture while it cooks as well as more onion flavor.

Krazykarl
07-09-18, 07:15
Thanks SteyrAUG for typing that all out. I will try it!

Krazykarl
07-09-18, 07:18
I am going to try papusas for the first time today. Any pointers? Not sure how I am going to get the dough thin enough and not fall apart before pan frying.

Honu
07-10-18, 01:23
I am going to try papusas for the first time today. Any pointers? Not sure how I am going to get the dough thin enough and not fall apart before pan frying.

pupusa :) also used to love baleadas a bit dif
used to get them from street vendors when I lived in Honduras all I know is the dough was not that thin compared to say USA style tortilas thin they were always a bit more thick but also very dense but tender seems the ones here are floury and yuck compared to those there
when the ladies would pat them out with the hands so it was being held the whole time it was made or formed then throw down onto the metal so I think that should solved the fall apart making the dough so it holds together :) I know the dough looked quite shiny and lardy and their hands were kinda shiny when working with it
also the one I went to almost daily her cook surface was a old oven door that was at the field where she set up then a burn barrel and she would just throw the old door on it wipe it off but I never saw her season it etc.. kinda why I also think there was a lot of lard in those :) as they never stuck

1_click_off
10-14-19, 17:40
Made this Shrimp stuff a few times. Everyone wants to know when I am making it.

Ingredients
 40 minutes 

• 1 (16 ounce) package linguine pasta
• 8 tablespoons butter
• 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 or 2 shallots, finely diced
• 3 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 pinch red pepper flakes
• 2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
• Diced link of Tasso.
• couple pinches kosher salt and freshly
ground pepper
• 2 cup dry white wine
• 2 lemons, juiced
• bunch of finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
• 2-3 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook linguine in boiling water until nearly tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain. (I do it different, I like to place my linguine in a skillet, fill it with water until it just covers the noodles. Salt the water enough to flavor the noodles, add some olive oil to prevent sticking. Bring to boil and stir a little to keep from sticking or burning to bottom of pan. Boil until almost dry and the noodles should be nearly tender and absorbed the salt. No need to drain.)

Melt 4 tablespoons butter with 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes in the hot butter and oil until shallots are translucent, about 10 minutes.

Dry and then season shrimp with kosher salt and black pepper; add to the skillet and cook until pink, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Remove shrimp from skillet and keep warm.

Pour white wine and lemon juice into skillet and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet, stir 4 tablespoons olive oil into butter mixture, and bring to a simmer. Toss linguine, shrimp, and parsley in the butter mixture until coated; season with salt and black pepper. Drizzle with 1-3 teaspoon olive oil to serve.

All the quantities above are approximates, I just add ingredients to it until it feels right. Usually ends up with more butter and spice. I have made it with up to 8lbs of shrimp. Have never tossed any of it, it always gets eaten.

Straight Shooter
10-14-19, 17:57
GLAD to see this thread renewed..its a nice change from the crap of late.
Im looking for an AWESOME chili recipe for a crock pot...one I can throw together in the pot before work, and come home 9 hours later and start eating.
I like a THICK chili..not soupy. I like a medium or slightly more hot chili..nothing with freakin Ghost peppers or the like.
WITH beans. Meat can be beef, bison, deer or any proper chili meat.
If youve got a great recipe..but dont wanna share it with the world...PM me, itll go no further.
Unusual ingredients are fine. Hit me up!

1_click_off
10-14-19, 18:31
My kids call these tootie beans.

Bush’s baked beans, not the huge can, but not the small almost personal size.
Bacon
Bell peppers (any color you like)
KC masterpiece
Brown sugar
Honey
Cayenne pepper.

Start with Bush’s baked beans on low and heating up.

Dust the beans with cayenne pepper. I like them with a kick.

Fry some bacon and dice up the bell peppers. I like going until crispy.

Once bacon is done set to the side.

Take the diced bell peppers and blacken them in the bacon grease. While these are getting blackened, break up the bacon to the size you want.

Once peppers are blackened, toss in the pot with the beans. I put a little bacon grease in also.

Now take the top of a bag of brown sugar and pinch about an inch off the top of the bag and dump that out. I would guess 3/4 cup for those that measure.

Give it about a 10 second shot of honey. Get your local honey, not the high fructose corn syrup crap the chain store calls honey.

Squeeze about 1/2 bottle of KC masterpiece in it.

Stir frequently until mixed up and all the sugar you just added gets dissolved.

Some folks like ground meat in it, I do not.

These are so much better on the second heat cycle the next day.

ABNAK
10-14-19, 18:46
Cut up one or two Hillshire Farms Polska Kielbasas into 1 1/2" sections. Put in roaster pan. Add one pound of boneless pork ribs, cut into maybe 2" sections. Throw in one big jar of Ragu and one big jar of sauerkraut. Cook on 300F for 3 hours or so (no less). Stir occasionally. Serve with mashed potatoes, over egg noodles, or with pierogies.

The kielbasa swells and you can cut it and the ribs with a fork.

flenna
10-14-19, 19:02
Here is a super easy way to cook a cheap pork roast:

1. Place pork roast in large crock pot.
2. Fill up pot with apple cider vinegar.
3. Add 10 cloves of garlic.

Cook until the roast is falling off the bone. It can then be shredded and eaten as a barbeque sandwich with BBQ sauce, eaten in a tortilla with pico de gallo or just as is.

armtx77
10-14-19, 19:53
Red beans and Rice

1_click_off
10-14-19, 20:11
Apples
Carrots
Pork chops
Cinnamon
Apple juice

Slice apples and cut carrots up.

Heat a cast iron skillet without adding any oil.

Salt and pepper pork chop, put cinnamon on it as well.
Place in skillet and let that pig squeal for 2-3 minutes. Do not lift it to check it. Let is cook.

Salt, pepper, and cinnamon the top side. Flip and let that side cook for about 1-2 minutes.

Take off and set to the side.

Pour the apple juice in the skillet to lift the debris.

Toss in the carrots and cook for about 2 minutes covered.

Toss in the apples and cook.

The apple juice should be starting to caramelize at this point.

Scoop out the carrots and apples into a large bowl and hit the skillet with just a little apple juice to lift the debris again. When this juice starts to caramelize, toss the chops in it and get them coated and finish cooking.

Throw everything back in the skillet, stir and then bring the skillet to the table to chow down.

I am on the fence when I do this to use my cast iron or my Swiss Diamond. Swiss Diamond is awesome for the caramelizing, cast is awesome for the pork debris

rero360
10-14-19, 21:22
My wife is Filipino and I’ve mastered a chicken adobo in the instant pot that she and her mom loves. I found a recipe online but modified it; a packet of chicken breasts from Costco, 3/8 cup of Filipino vinegar, 1/4 cup of light soy sauce, 1/4 cup of Filipino soy sauce plus a splash, mounded teaspoon of minced garlic and a bit of fresh ground black pepper. We actually had it for dinner tonight and saved a little bit for my MIL, my little boy loves it too which makes me happy.

I used to make a killer venison chili, and a Mac and cheese with bacon and green chili’s in a cast iron Dutch oven

1_click_off
11-27-19, 17:45
Hamburger French Bread.

Brown some hamburger meat in a skillet.

While that is browning cut the top out of a loaf of French bread.

Pick out some of the inside of the loaf and pick bread off the top you just cut off. Save for later.

Open a couple cans of cream of mushroom and pour on the meat in the skillet.

Once hot, add about 3/4 or more of the bread you picked out of the loaf into the skillet with the meat and cream of mushroom.

Place the hollowed out bottom of the bread on some tin foil on a cookie sheet.

Place a layer of shedded cheese in the loaf, layer of skillet contents, layer of cheese and repeat until it is full. (I like to place some jalapeños in it as well)

Place the top back on and wrap up with tin foil.

Place in oven at 350F for 20min.

Pull out and slice up. Good camp food.

Diamondback
11-27-19, 20:38
I like to do "Restaurant Crawl" themed dinners based on Todd Wilbur's "Top Secret Recipes" cookbooks. So essentially it's like getting your appetizer at Outback, your soup-and-salad at Olive Garden, your entree at a third restaurant and dessert from a fourth, with signature drinks from a fifth, without having to rack up a ton of restaurant bills and fight with going from place to place and getting tables four different times.

Last time I did one was before my grandmother went into hospice, though--they're a lot of work, and I only put in that kind of effort when I have a larger and appreciative crowd. Other than that... well, I have a killer recipe from a long-closed local Russian restaurant for piroshky.

https://recipegoldmine.com/cck/kaleenka-piroshky.html -- my source was a different cookbook, run by a local TV station as a charity fundraiser, that the Old Lady donated the recipe to. (OHNOES RUSSIAN COLLUSION!*snort*)
Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 packages yeast
4-5 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 tablespoons additional vegetable oil
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups milk
1 pound cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Instructions
In a skillet, brown the onion in oil, about 7 minutes; remove and set aside.
Brown the ground beef in the skillet, drain the grease, then add in the cooked onion, garlic, salt, and pepper; set aside.
In a small ceramic or glass bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let stand for 11 minutes.
In a large bowl or using a large stand mixer, place 4 cups of the flour, sugar, salt, egg, the remaining oil, water/yeast mixture, and the milk; mix together (use a dough hook attachment if you have one), adding additional flour as needed to make the dough soft but not sticky.
Knead, either for about 10 minutes by turning out onto a floured board and doing it by hand or by using a dough hook in a mixer on slow speed for about 6 to 7 minutes.
Place in a large bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour; punch down.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
To fill the piroshky, pinch off a piece of dough about the size of an egg and roll it out to 1/8-inch thick, then place a cube of cube of cheese and 2 tablespoons of meat filling in the center.
Lift up the edges of the dough and bring it up to the top, pinching together tightly to completely enclose the filling and so that the dough knits together.
Place the piroshky on a microwave-safe dish or tray, seam-side down, and microwave for 10 seconds; set aside and let rise for 10 minutes.
Repeat the piroshky construction, microwaving, and rising with remaining ingredients.
Place risen piroshky (all of them) on a non-stick baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes depending on your oven; alternately, you can deep fry them at 300 degrees F until golden.
4-6 servings

AndyLate
11-28-19, 11:04
This is a great side dish for lots of events, but I made it today. Modify as desired. I like to serve with blue corn chips or tortilla scoops. If you want it "drier" use 1/3 cup each of oil and lime juice.

Cowboy Caviar or Oklahoma Caviar

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE DRESSING:
1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil (or avacado oil)
1/2 c. lime juice
3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp. hot sauce (such as Cholula)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. kosher salt

FOR THE SALAD:
1 can black beans
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 or 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped fine
1 can sweet corn
1 c. cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 can black-eyed peas
2 orange, red or green bell peppers, chopped
2 avocados, chopped

Tortilla chips, for serving

Make the dressing, then cut up the avacados and put them in the same bowl to keep them from browning.

Chop all the other veggies and then toss them with the dressing, avacados, corn and beans.

Refrigerate before serving. It tastes better to me if you refrigerate overnight.

Healthy and tasty...

Arik
11-29-19, 12:46
Pork belly.

Precut in long thick slices is better than one large chunk. Precut you can see how much meat vs fat you have throughout the whole piece. Also saves time on cutting

This takes a long time to do but very little work.
1. Season to your liking. Wrap in parchment paper twice, then heavy duty foil. Let sit in fridge overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 180°. Place in oven and let sit for 7 hours.
3. Take out, let cool to room temp and place in fridge overnight.
4. Take out of fridge. Unwrap and scrape all the fat that gathered inside the foil into a skillet and heat up. Meanwhile, score the fat side and cut into slightly smaller than palm size squares (however big/small you want them). Throw into skillet and sear all sides!

Eat!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191129/f5897f2901cc76d50142a86749d66368.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191129/93ae78b4a5639f6b1fc6fcf135f3bad5.jpg

BoringGuy45
11-29-19, 15:06
My Chili Con Carne.

2 to 3 pounds lean ground beef, ground turkey, or a combo
1 or 2 large chopped onions
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried ground cumin or to taste
1 tablespoon dried oregano or to taste
2 tablespoons chili powder or to taste (fresh chile peppers may be substituted)
1/2 tablespoon chipotle or to taste
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 to 4 cups tomato puree, tomato sauce, or fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped (or a combination of all three)
2 to 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
1 cup of red wine or cooking sherry
1 to 2 tablespoons molasses**
1 (14 oz) can of pinto beans
1 can of black beans
1 can of red beans
1 can of pink beans
Grated sharp cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Chopped green onions

In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, saute meat, onion, and garlic until the meat becomes gray in color. Add cumin, oregano, chili powder, chipotle, salt, pepper, tomatoes, beef broth, and wine. Mix ingredients and bring to a boil. Add molasses. I often also put in a carrot to further cut down the acidity of the tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, approximately 2 to 3 hours hours, stirring often. Note: Additional beef broth, water, or wine may be added as needed.

Rinse and drain beans. Add beans and continue to simmer another 30 minutes. NOTE: During the last 30 minutes of cooking, do a lot of tasting and adjust seasoning to taste. I'll often add a few tablespoons of Frank's Hot Sauce to taste at this point if I want a little more heat.

For maximum flavor, cool chili and refrigerate overnight

1_click_off
02-09-21, 07:01
Pandemic of 2020 with many home and NOBODY came up with a new recipe during this time???

AndyLate
02-09-21, 10:51
Its super lame, but my boys clean it up every time-

1 package "Shells and Cheese"
1 6.4 oz tuna pouch (in water)
1 can of peas, drained

Cook the shells al dente, add the cheese, tuna, and peas and heat. Tuna and peas are cooked, so you just have to warm them.

Serves 2-3, just double for 4-6.

Salt and pepper to taste. You can use mixed vegatables instead of peas, or use cooked fresh/frozen veggies instead of canned. You can use any pasta and cheese, but the shells are a family favorite.

apb2772
02-09-21, 15:41
I don't post much but I've got two recipes that have won a couple of awards (Friendly/Work competitions). I've actually had people fight over the food and offer me $$ for the recipes.

One is for Chili and the other is for a Macaroni and cheese dish.

They are a weee bit long to post here directly - unless you guys request it. I'd be more than happy to PM/Email them directly to anybody who would like them.

Diamondback
02-09-21, 16:59
This one comes from former White House Executive Chef Henry Haller and his 1987 White House Family Cookbook, a tome of as much interest for the looks behind-the-scenes at the five Presidents he served and their families as people as it is for the recipes. For example, while President Reagan was recovering at Bethesda after Hinckley’s shooting, Chef Haller arranged to have this and several other favorite meals catered to his hospital room.

Ingredients – serves 4 as entree or 6-8 as side dish

1/2 lb. macaroni
1 tbsp. butter
1 egg, beaten
3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup warm milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
pinch of paprika

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Butter a 2-qt. casserole dish.
2. Add macaroni to 2 cups of boiling salted water and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Drain well in a colander. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
4. Stir in butter and beaten egg.Add 2-1/2 cups of the grated cheese.
5. In a small bowl, combine milk with salt, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
6. Spoon macaroni and cheese into the prepared casserole. Pour milk mixture over and sprinkle top with the remaining cheese.
7. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until macaroni is firm to the touch and the top is crusty and browned.
8. Serve at once, either as a light entree accompanied by a hot green vegetable and a crisp salad, or as a side dish with hamburgers or meatloaf.

apb2772
02-10-21, 09:47
Heck why not...

APB Chilli:

Chili ingredient list:
¼ cup and 4 tablespoons Olive oil
**1 cup water **OPTIONAL**
1 ½ - 2 tablespoons Lowery’s Season salt
½ - ¾ lb Lean Ground pork
About 2 lbs “Carne Picada” style, thin sliced beef steak
½ tablespoon celery salt
¼ teaspoon White pepper
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
1 – 7oz can “Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce”
1 - 7oz can diced Green Chilies
1 ½ tablespoons Garlic salt
2 tablespoon(s) ground Cumin (To taste)
4-5 tablespoon(s) crushed Red Pepper flakes
2 ½ tablespoons dried crushed Cilantro.
4 tablespoons diced dehydrated onions
2-½ cups diced purple onion
** ½ - ¾ cup diced white onion **OPTIONAL**
1-¼ cups diced green bell pepper
3 large jalapeño peppers
2 large Anaheim peppers
1 large or 2 small Serrano pepper(s)
½ - ¾ cup and 2 table spoons of diced “Wet” “Great Value” (Wal-Mart) diced garlic
2 - 14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
1-28 oz can of Del Monte “Petite” cut diced tomatoes
3 packets Goya “Sazon” with coriander and annatto
3 tablespoons dried beef bouillon powder
2 - 9.5 oz cans of Swanson Light/dark meat chicken
1 tablespoon regular chili powder
1 tablespoon hot/extra hot chili powder
¾ teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
¾ teaspoon “El Guapo” brand, California Molido - California chili powder
1 - 15.5 oz can Goya Premium Pinto beans
1 – 15.5 oz can Goya Premium Red kidney beans

Cook ground pork by itself, and also cook the 2 lbs of “Carne Picada” thinly sliced beef by itself also.

Ground Pork instructions:
Heat pan to medium high, and add:

3 Table spoons of olive oil to medium frying pan.

Once pan is heated add the ½-3/4 lbs of lean ground pork. Break the ground pork up into medium fine pieces and cook through. Reduce heat to medium low. Once cooked through reduce heat and add:

½ tablespoon of celery salt, and both ¼ teaspoon of white pepper – and also fine ground black pepper.

Next add:

2 peppers from the 7 oz can of Goya “Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce”. Dice them extremely fine (Almost like a puree). Also add about 2 tablespoons worth of sauce from can to the ground pork.

Stir and cook until the ground pork is thoroughly covered and there is very little “Sauce” or residual wetness in the pan. Place cooked pork to the side and add to recipe later.

“Carne Picada” cooking instructions:
Place all of the beef into a medium large frying pan (Heat set at medium high) and add 4 tablespoons of olive oil, and 4 tablespoons diced dehydrated onions, 2 table spoons of diced “Wet” “Great Value” (Wal-Mart) diced garlic. Cook beef completely through, once most of the moisture has been cooked out of the pan (very little water left in the pan) reduce heat to medium low and add the following:

Add 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons of Lowery’s seasoning salt to beef once most of the moisture has been cooked out of the pan.
Add 1 ½ tablespoons garlic salt.
Add 1 tablespoon ground cumin.
Add 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes.

Stir spices into beef thoroughly.
Once the spices have been stirred and blended in thoroughly remove from heat and set aside to add to recipe later.

Vegetable base for Chili:
Add the following to a 6-8 quart cooking pot:
¼ cup and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (+/- 1 tablespoon or two).
2-½ cups diced purple onion.
1-¼ cups diced green bell pepper.
2-½ large jalapeño peppers, Split in half (Cut off ends and discard) thoroughly de-seed the halves and add to pot.
2 large Anaheim peppers, Split in half (Cut off ends and discard) thoroughly de-seed the halves and add to pot.
1 large or 2 small Serrano pepper(s), Split in half (Cut off ends and discard) thoroughly de-seed the halves and add to pot.
½ - ¾ cup of diced “Wet” “Great Value” (Wal-Mart) diced garlic.
(Note for a sharper flavor you can also add ½ - ¾ cup diced white onion also)

Cook this mixture in the pot for 8-10 minutes on medium high stirring as needed– basically cook until the contents are soft.
Once mixture is “soft” add the following:

1 cup water (**OPTIONAL**)
1 - 7oz can “Great Value” (Wal-Mart) diced green chilies.
2 - 14.5 oz cans “Great Value” (Wal-Mart) fire roasted diced tomatoes.
1-28 oz can of Del Monte “Petite” cut diced tomatoes.
Add the rest of the 7oz can of Goya “Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce”.
3 packets Goya “Sazon” with coriander and annatto.
2 ½ tablespoons dried crushed cilantro.
3 tablespoons dried beef bouillon powder.
2 or 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes.

Stir until blended nicely.
Next add:

2 - 9.5 oz cans of Swanson Light/dark meat chicken. (Do not drain)
The seasoned ground pork prepared earlier.
The seasoned “Carne Picada” style beef prepared earlier.
1 tablespoon regular chili powder.
1 tablespoon hot/extra hot chili powder.
¾ teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper.
¾ teaspoon “El Guapo” brand, California Molido - California chili powder.

Stir the mixture thoroughly as to break up the canned chicken into fine strands – no chunks.
Once this is accomplished add the following:

1 - 15.5 oz can Goya Premium Pinto beans. (Do not drain)
1 – 15.5 oz can Goya Premium Red kidney beans. (Do not drain)
(Note more beans can be added to taste (you may have to add additional spices to augment/balance the flavor) traditionally in the western U.S there would be no beans, while in the eastern U.S beans are a prerequisite. Whatever path you choose please don’t bastardize this recipe with noodles of any kind! Also note that more of anything = more volume it might not all fit into your crock pot.)

Stir in beans and cook on stove for just over an hour. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally. Once an hour and change has passed, pour mixture into a 6 quart crock pot and refrigerate overnight (helps break things down in the chili building a more homogeneous flavor). Set appropriate heat setting on crock pot for needed serving time. It is suggested that the chili slow cook for at least 4 hours + prior to serving to attain its proper rich flavor.

APB Mac & Cheese:

Ingredients:
~ 13ozs small macaroni shells
1 lb Velveeta or Wall mart “Great value” equivalent, Cubed into ~ 1” cubes
1/6 lb super/extra sharp cheddar cheese (Cubed 1/2” on a side)
1/6 lb white Vermont cheddar cheese
1/8 cup shredded cheese (Your favorite)
4 table spoons salted butter
1/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 ~ 9.75 oz canned “Lite/dark meat Chicken”
64 ozs of chicken broth
Rinse the macaroni shells in warm water and set aside.
Bring the chicken broth to a boil and then add the shells. Boil until the macaroni is not quite done (al dente).
Drain the macaroni and save the leftover chicken broth for making soup later.
* NOTE – do not “Over drain the macaroni as you want to retain some of the chicken broth in the mixture.
With the macaroni still in the strainer quickly place the butter and both cheddar cheeses into the pot that the macaroni was boiled in and stir with a silicone spatula over medium heat. Once the butter is half melted and the cheese’s corners and edges are melted/rounded off add the macaroni back in and stir well.
Now slowly add the milk, cream, canned chicken, and black pepper stir well until the canned chicken is broken down completely (no chunks). Once everything is well incorporated, add the Velveeta and stir until it is thoroughly melted.
Next, transfer the mixture into a lightly greased and floured 3-4quart baking dish. Once transferred into the dish sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover the dish. Place the covered dish into the oven for ~ 20 min at 325.
All done!

* Extra notes…
In large batches 1 lb of shells needs ~ 1-1.5 lbs of Velveeta, and 1/4 lb each of the cheddar cheeses, the milk, cream and canned chicken stays the same – you can use bigger cans of chicken and add to taste.