PDA

View Full Version : P320 thoughts?

LibertyTactical
07-07-18, 15:47
What do you guys think about the p320?

RHINOWSO
07-07-18, 17:55
Owned one, carried for about 5-6 months - P320C 9MM. Maybe 1K through mine, give or take.

(1) Accurate and easy to shoot. If you suck with a P320, you REALLY suck.

(2) Odd grip sizes - I have very medium sized hands, but needed a P320C Large grip. Not a big deal, but it does make the gun even bigger.

(3) Longer, Taller, Wider, and heavier than a G19.

(4) Initially NOT drop safe. Glad I had traded mine before that debacle.

Wanted to like it more, but the size / weight were the big killer for me.

I shoot a G19 just fine, aftermarket stuff is far better, and you know Glock will be here in 10-20 years - obviously the P320 should be now, but at the time it hadn't been awarded the MHS contract when I went all G19 and move my P320C on.

556BlackRifle
07-08-18, 00:04
I have one. Liked it and carried it until the AD debacle. Sent mine in for the voluntary upgrade (Recall). Got it back ran a couple hundred rounds through it and it's been sitting in the back of my safe ever since. I just don't have confidence in it.

My EDC is a Gen5 G19. It is everything I need in a CCW. Reliable, Accurate, Compact, plus lots of accessories and holster available.

call_me_ski
07-08-18, 00:53
Overall the newest iteration of the guns seem to be square away. They are accurate, reliable and I have actually started to take advantage of the modular features. Carry grip for winter and Subcompact for summer. 70 dollars for a grip and a mag and away I go.

I have three guns that I rotate through and the P320 is slowly edging out the other two.

The Good:
-very accurate
-Positive and consistent ejection(looking at you Glock 19)
-100 reliable with and without suppressor(Tirant 45m)
-one of the best out of box triggers on an off brand Glock
-modularity and sealable grips
-ergonomic
-the aftermarket is developing quickly

The Bad:
-it is big relative to competition
-it is heavy relative to competition
-having to potentially send it in for the upgrade(it is a recall)
-need to spend money to get small or large grip
-RX models are only compatible with Sig Optics from factory

The Ugly:
-Sig Sauer Inc.

titsonritz
07-08-18, 04:34
I'd bang on one all day if you gave it to me but there's no way I'd pay for the bitch.

sinister
07-08-18, 07:57
I like it. 320 full-size, X-Carry grip.
I own four Glocks, no 19s.

http://i66.tinypic.com/ay2ctf.jpg

panzerr
07-08-18, 08:56
I do not own one, but did shoot a P320 Compact in 9mm at a local event. I only put 50 rounds through it, but I've shot enough pistols to know a decent handgun and the 320 is totally decent. The trigger is very nice. The 320C feels great in the hand, but there is more muzzle flip when compared to the G19 due to the god awful height over bore. I mean, come on, Sig, we're talking about basic physics principles that make pistols more shootable.

MWAG19919
07-08-18, 10:10
My buddy has one. Shoots extremely accurately. Good trigger, decent factory sights, and plenty of aftermarket support but nothing like Glock.

However it is noticeably bulkier in every way than my G19. And they have the worst system for adjusting the size of the grip. Have a medium and it’s too small? You can’t simply change grip inserts; you must buy an entire new frame in large.

Det-Sog
07-08-18, 14:19
I’m passing on the 320. I’m going to stick with my g-19.

Good call, and I'm a Sig guy. I love the P320, but I already own one. I sent it in for the recall and it came back flawless. BUT... If you already have a G19, I don't see any reason to switch. Just keep running the G19 and don't look back.

Slater
07-08-18, 14:28
In the durability/reliability departments, are the P320 and P226 roughly comparable?

Det-Sog
07-08-18, 15:07
In the durability/reliability departments, are the P320 and P226 roughly comparable?

No way to compare something that finished beta testing barely a year ago with a tried and true design thats been running flawlessly for over 30 years. Come back and ask this question in another five years or so. There just aren't enough data points yet. If you forced me to choose today if I could only have one, I'd get a P226.

LibertyTactical
07-08-18, 16:04
No way to compare something that finished beta testing barely a year ago with a tried and true design thats been running flawlessly for over 30 years. Come back and ask this question in another five years or so. There just aren't enough data points yet. If you forced me to choose today if I could only have one, I'd get a P226.

Why didn’t the military choose the 226 then?

LMT Shooter
07-08-18, 17:00

The Sig P226 & the Beretta 92 both passed all testing to meet the standard for acceptance, and the Beretta was cheaper.

Slater
07-08-18, 17:10
Liberty Tactical, if you're referring to the original XM9 trials, that topic has been pretty much beaten to a pulp. If you have some time on your hands, this is the original GAO report:

https://www.gao.gov/assets/210/208564.pdf

Det-Sog
07-08-18, 17:33
The Sig P226 & the Beretta 92 both passed all testing to meet the standard for acceptance, and the Beretta was cheaper.

That. Ahhhh, the memories. Word on the street at the time was that someone tipped off Beretta on what Sig's bid was going to be. Beretta then made their bid at one dollar per firearm less than Sig. That made Beretta's bid come in around 350K less than Sig's. Game over.

Either way, it was a win-win. The M-9 is a solid piece.

Edited: In case LibertyTactical was referring to the "current" run, the neither P226 or Beretta 92 were what the Army was looking for this time around. They wanted a more modern "Glock like" design. I believe being modular was a requirement also.

LMT Shooter
07-08-18, 17:38
That. Ahhhh, the memories. Word on the street at the time was that someone tipped off Beretta on what Sig's bid was going to be. Beretta then made their bid at one dollar per firearm less than Sig. That made Beretta's bid come in around 350K less than Sig's. Game over.

Either way, it was a win-win. The M-9 is a solid piece.

I recall that Beretta actually removed some spare parts from their proposed package, and adjusted their $ bid accordingly, and nobody told SIG until after Beretta had been awarded the contract.

Det-Sog
07-08-18, 17:46
^^^ Could be. I don't think we'll ever know.

Slater
07-08-18, 17:59
From the GAO report:

"Beretta’s and SACO’s price quotes for each magazine were $9.30 and $11.95, respectively, and for each spare parts set were $209.42 and $221.79, respectively. The cost evaluator simply multiplied each contractor’s magazine unit price by 400 percent of the number of pistols and each contractor’s spare parts set price by 10 percent of the number of pistols. Because of the 400-percent factor used to evaluate magazines, Beretta’s lower magazine price more than any other factor resulted in its having the lowest overall evaluated price."

Slater
07-08-18, 18:18
FWIW, adjusted for inflation Beretta's and SIG's mag prices would be $21.38 and $27.48 respectively in today's dollars (using the .gov's inflation calculator). Seems a little bit pricey for a bulk buy.

Business_Casual
07-08-18, 19:14
.Gov contracting is its own animal. Things don’t make sense out context.

RHINOWSO
07-08-18, 20:12
.Gov contracting is its own animal. Things don’t make sense out context.
Yes indeed.

LibertyTactical
07-09-18, 07:12
Thank you guys for all the great information! I’m sure a moderator will delete this as they don’t like it when I thank you guys for answering my question, as they think I am trying to sell something. But with your info I passed on the opportunity I had to purchase a p320. Thanks again!!!

Helix12
07-09-18, 07:16
I was an early buyer of a Sig P320 compact. It had the original fat trigger and bulky slide release. It shot stupid high at 15 yards so I called Sig customer service. They sent a shipping label with the warning that if it did not show the same behavior for them they would charge me shipping. Okay. I also had them change the slide release to the smaller one.

It also shot stupid high for them so they replace the sights and it was dead on. They paid for the shipping both ways and returned the gun in less than two weeks from the day I sent it. Pretty good CS I thought. I replaced the original fat trigger with an Apex flat trigger which greatly improved it for me.

I kept this gun for about 18 months and ran 1900+ rounds of mixed brands, bullet weights and bullet profile ammo through it. It never had one bobble. The Sig night sights were quite good, the trigger pull very good and the Apex flat trigger profile helped with my trigger control. I liked the gun, but finally sold it just before the hooray about the drop safety failure started.

I have two Gen4 Glock 19s and have owned about every generation of 19 that they had made up to Gen4. As another poster previously mentioned, the P320 is slightly larger than the G19, but only slightly. When in a holster on my hip I could tell little difference between the two. All Sig P series guns I have owned are fat in the slide but it has never been a deal breaker for me. I buy guns to shoot. And as far as actual shooting goes I liked the P320 better than my Glock 19s. And the P320 never, ever hit me with a hot empty which both G19s repeatedly did until I found an aftermarket fix for them.

I pay no attention to the supposed advantage of the huge aftermarket support for the Glock. Other than a sight change I leave my Glock stock. But apparently they are bad enough out of the box that many, many people have to buy other parts to improve their Glock. I don't. Out of the box the new P320s don't need any after market parts.

The only reason that I sold my P320 is that it is like every other Sig that I have owned. They just are not a favored handgun for me. I have never had one to fail to work correctly but I've also never learned to love one either. After a lot of shooting and 18 months I just have other handguns that I like better so I sold the Sig.

OP, I'm not brand loyal to any gun maker. I am pretty hacked at Glock for the BTF debacle, which they refused to acknowledge or fix so any new Glock 19 purchases are off the table for me. And I don't take the side of the haters or the fanboys in the current Sig debate. From my experience with that one 320 I found it to be very accurate, slightly better from both a rest and off-hand than either of my G19s. The trigger was better than any Glock I have owned or shot. The grip angle is a little too vertical for my own tastes whereas the Glock is too much of an angle. The M&P 2.0 compact nails the grip angle for me.

Good luck with your decision. The American shooter is blessed with a large number of handgun choices. The P320 is just one of them.

MistWolf
07-10-18, 07:48

Before Beretta was awarded the contact by the U.S. Government, relations with Italy were in the tank. Things smoothed over quickly right after.

Slater
07-10-18, 09:13
The whole "US-Italian secret agreement" theory has been going around since the contract was awarded. Who knows - it may be true, but the report reads as follows:

We found no evidence of a secret international agreement that may have influenced the selectron of Beretta in this procurement In 1978, the United States and Italy signed a Memorandum of Understanding m whrch they promised to fully consider all qualified mdustrial and/or government sources of conventronal defense equipment m each other’s countrres, SubJect to national procurement policy and criteria In doing so, they promised to ehmmate procurement barriers and use competitive bidding The agreement is a public document and IS srmilar to agreements that the Umted States had negotiated with other NATO allies.

Accordmg to the State Department Italian desk officer, the Italian government takes the agreement very seriously He sard that there was no doubt that the Italmn government was interested in the 9mm sale and had made its Interest known to the U S. government In addition, he pointed out that the Italian ambassador in Washington, D C , was very active on behalf of Italian commercla1 interests Such activities on the part of foreign embassies are routine In contrast to those of U S embassies, which are prohibited from promotmg American mlhtary products overseas.

sundance435
07-10-18, 11:53
Owned one, carried for about 5-6 months - P320C 9MM. Maybe 1K through mine, give or take.

(3) Longer, Taller, Wider, and heavier than a G19.

Wanted to like it more, but the size / weight were the big killer for me.

I shoot a G19 just fine, aftermarket stuff is far better, and you know Glock will be here in 10-20 years - obviously the P320 should be now, but at the time it hadn't been awarded the MHS contract when I went all G19 and move my P320C on.

I want to justify buying an X-Carry, but the larger size of it compared to a G19, considering both have 4"-ish barrels is a turnoff for me. They should've figured out a way to cram a little longer barrel in that slide. I know mag capacity is 17 on the X, but I have no problem shooting G17 mags with my 19 and I'd rather have the gun smaller than being able to accept flush 17 round mags. I really like the whole package of the X-Carry, though.

Pappabear
07-10-18, 13:05
If you want to like the P320, there is plenty to like. I bought the APEX trigger day 1 but never cared about the drop test. If you want to hate any gun, you can always justify it. I bought an FDE COMPACT and really liked it. Shot it better than the Tactical, but I finally bit the bullet and bought X5 frame and now I love it.

Guns are decent guns, I still love my HK’s , but have no issues with these guns. I have no real hate to any of the top end weapons. Lotta good kit available

m4brian
07-10-18, 13:47
Then there is the AK of the 9mm world...

The SIGPRO 2022. Get one.

Slater
07-10-18, 14:23
Then there is the AK of the 9mm world...

The SIGPRO 2022. Get one.

Haven't heard that one mentioned in a while. Didn't realize they were still being made.

CPM
07-10-18, 15:38
The AK of the 9mm world is either the G17 if referencing reliability or the P7 if referring to operating systems.

m4brian
07-10-18, 15:54
While this is a SIG thread and polymer at that, I would still hold to the SP 2022 as the AK of the polymer hammer gun world. Yes, the Glock would beat it out, but only cuz it is not as accurate as the SP 2022 in the AK analogy. The SP 2022 is overbuilt, likely more durable than its Al frame counterpart, reliable as anything out there, and accurate beyond expectation - and cheap to boot. It also has no known 'issues' that I have found in production since it was developed in the late 90s. I can remember people here in the 2000s bemoaning the QC at SIG - not so the SP 2009/2022

Just an alternative to the P320, which once the drop safe kinks are worked out, is a fine gun.

Slater
07-10-18, 16:25
The only knocks against the 2022 that I can recall are the occasional remarks about premature finish wear. Other than that, not much.

m4brian
07-10-18, 16:50
The only knocks against the 2022 that I can recall are the occasional remarks about premature finish wear. Other than that, not much. Currently not the case. Slide is Nitron - standard SIG stuff and much better than the older finish. The barrels are DLC - you can put 1000 rounds in it and it will look new. It is a reliable tack driver, and the trigger is smoother than a Legion OTB.

hile
07-10-18, 17:14
I've shot one, and I wasn't a fan of it. When the safety issues came to light, I was glad that I had not chosen to buy one. The way that Sig handled the entire situation soured me on the P320 in particular, and really on any new Sig purchases for a long time.

Wake27
07-10-18, 17:43
Mrgunsngear posted an article about another LEO discharge. That article counted five total incidents. I didn’t really care much when it was one or two, but at this point it’s beyond ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m4brian
07-10-18, 19:03
When they first came out I found some triggers had a wierd tendency not to reset. Others felt great. I avoided the model.

awmp
07-11-18, 09:06
Can you post that link? I can't seem to find it.

I thought Sig fixed the P320 issue with a new trigger?

Mrgunsngear posted an article about another LEO discharge. That article counted five total incidents. I didn’t really care much when it was one or two, but at this point it’s beyond ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07-11-18, 10:28
I say get the M11A1. It is a fantastic pistol! The P320 won't be available for a while. I would also wait for any bugs to be worked out before you purchased a brand new design. The P series pistols are proven designs.

07-12-18, 10:17

They (Army) chose the P228 as the M11, and it was in use for some purposes for ~30 years, perhaps longer. The P226 (and other Sigs) saw use by everyone’s favorite Sailors.

Wake27
07-12-18, 23:58
I say get the M11A1. It is a fantastic pistol! The P320 won't be available for a while. I would also wait for any bugs to be worked out before you purchased a brand new design. The P series pistols are proven designs.

The P320 has been available for years.

bobbytucson
07-14-18, 23:33
i love my 320. its got its drawbacks, height and mag prices being my biggest peeves, but other than that, its not perceivably "heavier" than other gats while shooting imo. its recoil impulse is sharp and predictable. the modularity is really something to take advantage of, mix n match for different occasions is really cool. the trigger is by far better stock than most imo, a trigger that doesnt need to instantly be upgraded like some others. its accurate and reliable, in the 5k rounds or so that ive put through it. if you are wondering about purchasing one, do it, you probably wont regret it

m4brian
07-15-18, 20:16
But drop safe problems are a show stopper. Hmmm... The SP and P series are the most drop safe pistols made.

RHINOWSO
07-15-18, 20:18
its not perceivably "heavier" than other gats while shooting imo.
There aren't many mainstream duty / compact sized handguns that I feel are heavy while shooting them.

It's when they are on your belt, IWB 18 hours a day that little things like size, width, and weight add up.

bobbytucson
07-16-18, 18:00
There aren't many mainstream duty / compact sized handguns that I feel are heavy while shooting them.

It's when they are on your belt, IWB 18 hours a day that little things like size, width, and weight add up.

true, ive never had to wear kit nor ever been on duty but i know the saying onces equals pounds is true so perhaps yah if i was in the position of carrying id opt for lighter weight aslong as its not at the trade off of reliability, but i think the p320 for competition or leo stuff in terms of weight

C4IGrant
07-20-18, 11:56
Grabbed this post from a SOCOM guy. Thought it was pretty telling as to why the USA chose the 320.

"SOCOM went and bought a bunch of glock 19s. They bought them with the expectation that DOD would pick up the 19, as many of us did. This would allow SOCOM to access DOD program funds directly. They figured they could lead DOD/big army on guiding procurement. Or at least some in DOD felt that way. So a small part (rumor but very strong) of the SIG selection was to put SOCOM in its place by making them pay for a now SOCOM specific program, glock 19."

C4

sinister
07-20-18, 12:43
SOCOM didn't buy 9mm Glocks -- they were transferred for free under The Economy Act from Justice and DHS via the General Services Administration (as surplus).

The Services provide whatever is service-common to its SOCOM components for free -- by law. If the Army's pistol is a 320 then the Army buys 320s for every Soldier in USASOC. Every USASOC Soldier will also get a 9mm Glock (paid for by SOCOM) if that's on their SOCOM-unique equipment list.

Slater
07-20-18, 18:25
So….SOCOM prefers the G19? Would it raise a shitstorm if SOCOM went out and bought a bunch of G19X's on their dime?

sinister
07-20-18, 21:25
SOCOM has service-like purchasing powers under DOD Military Funding Program-11. SOCOM can buy whatever they want with the money budgeted to them from DOD by Congress. Every SOCOM program competes for SOCOM dollars between components (ARSOF, AFSOF, NAVSOF, MARSOF).

When you can get surplus Glocks for free from GSA, why buy 'em?

556BlackRifle
07-22-18, 12:11
SOCOM didn't buy 9mm Glocks -- they were transferred for free under The Economy Act from Justice and DHS via the General Services Administration (as surplus).

The Services provide whatever is service-common to its SOCOM components for free -- by law. If the Army's pistol is a 320 then the Army buys 320s for every Soldier in USASOC. Every USASOC Soldier will also get a 9mm Glock (paid for by SOCOM) if that's on their SOCOM-unique equipment list.

SOCOM has service-like purchasing powers under DOD Military Funding Program-11. SOCOM can buy whatever they want with the money budgeted to them from DOD by Congress. Every SOCOM program competes for SOCOM dollars between components (ARSOF, AFSOF, NAVSOF, MARSOF).

When you can get surplus Glocks for free from GSA, why buy 'em?

Great posts - Thanks!!

Mrgunsngear
07-22-18, 14:40
https://youtu.be/5fZfjuBC2wM

My updated thoughts I suppose. Mine's still running well post-recall.

Pappabear
07-22-18, 18:59
Very well done review. I still like my 320's just fine. I have a Compact FDE 320 and a tactical black P320. I put the nice orange dot NS on both front's like your XS's and I put the new X5 frame on my full size. I didn't expect to love the X5 frame as much as I thought but I really dig it. Huge upgrade at a Painful $95 clams.

I put the APEX triggers in mine at time of purchase, they both break at just over 4lbs and Im fine with that all day long. Great guns, Sig is doing good stuff even though any time you win huge gobernment contract the haters will come out in force. There are a lot of great guns on the market and these are just a couple more.

PB

Fordtough25
07-24-18, 04:53
I guess I'm finally going to give a p320 a try, tacops carry model. I've been waiting for the newness to wear off and they seem to be doing ok now, we will see! High hopes here!

mark5pt56
07-24-18, 05:45
I'm a Glock guy but also have a few 320's. The RX compact is my favorite, nice balance, extremely accurate.

panzerr
07-24-18, 06:05
I'm a Glock guy but also have a few 320's. The RX compact is my favorite, nice balance, extremely accurate.

Does the RX frame change the angle of the trigger finger significantly or make the interface with the trigger feel much different?

I want to like the 320, but I'm having a tough time getting over the height over bore issue. It also doesn't help that the guys at one of the local ranges are die hard 320 guys and are douches about it.

MountainRaven
07-24-18, 14:20
Does the RX frame change the angle of the trigger finger significantly or make the interface with the trigger feel much different?

I want to like the 320, but I'm having a tough time getting over the height over bore issue. It also doesn't help that the guys at one of the local ranges are die hard 320 guys and are douches about it.

'RX' refers to the pistol shipping from the factory with a SiG MRDS.

panzerr
07-24-18, 14:23
'RX' refers to the pistol shipping from the factory with a SiG MRDS.

Yes, indeed. But doesn’t the RX have a modified frame which allows for a higher grip relative to the Bore axis? It was that a different model?

Sam
07-24-18, 14:43
Doing a little research on holster compatibility for the 320 compact. What other gun's holsters that I could use on a short term basis to try? Will a holster for a Glock or M&P or CZ P07 fit it?

MountainRaven
07-24-18, 15:03
Yes, indeed. But doesn’t the RX have a modified frame which allows for a higher grip relative to the Bore axis? It was that a different model?

I think you're thinking of the X models (X-VTAC, X-Carry, X-Five, &c.).

mark5pt56
07-25-18, 05:22
Correct, RX is just the standard 320 with the Romeo sight. I just added a gen 5 34 and Vortex Venom, nice as well.

Mrgunsngear
07-26-18, 14:25
Doing a little research on holster compatibility for the 320 compact. What other gun's holsters that I could use on a short term basis to try? Will a holster for a Glock or M&P or CZ P07 fit it?

None of my kydex rigs fit. My Galco G19 leather holster fits it but.... leather.

hile
07-26-18, 14:35
None of my kydex rigs fit. My Galco G19 leather holster fits it but.... leather.

Looks like the various Safariland 7TS holsters will work FWIW. They're not actually kydex, but the ALS holsters are my go-to OWB.

El_Chingon
07-26-18, 23:00
I have had 3 p320c's. first one B had, was having double feeds and failure to eject. sent it in to SIG to correct the issue and had the same issue once i got it back, so I sold it. Bought another one ran great but sold it then I started to missed it. Bought a full size 320 did not like the way the full size felt so I bought an exchange kit for a compact, ran great and then sent it in for the "voluntary upgrade" and now trigger feels a little better. My overall, eval, it is a good gun.

BudMan5
07-27-18, 20:53
I was a very long time Glock fanboy. By long time I mean I retired as a cop in 1987 and had. 1st gen G17 as a duty gun then and then over the years bought a bunch more.
When the P320 first came out, I shot a friends P320 and the Glock worship ended right there. Sold all my Glocks now except the one I retired with and it’s in a display case with a set of cuffs and my retired badge. I have four P320s now and what seems like drawers full of modular grips and the o caliber kits (slides, barrels, magazines)

I have an X-Carry on me every day and a full sized TACOPs with a gun belt and two extra mags. (The TACOPs has 21 round magazines).
If you give the P320 a fair evaluation you might be surprised.
But having been a police firearms instructor for 40+ years, I know there is no one size fits all pistol made. There are a lot of great pistol manufacturers right now. we are truly living in the golden age of firearms.

Devereaux
07-27-18, 22:56
The really amazing thing I found about the P320 is that in .45 ACP it is one of the lightest recoiling handgun I have shot. It reminds me of my old Glock 17 1st gen, which I used to teach any number of young people to shoot. The P320 in .45 shoots about like a 9mm. Try that with any 1911.

Sam
07-30-18, 09:56

Thanks for the confirmation. I tried the 320C in holsters for S&W M&P, G19, CZ P07 and none accepted the fat slide/rail configuration of the 320. But I shot it enough to confirm that I like the pistol for further testing, so I ordered a 320C specific holster for it.

BTW, the plastic holster that came with the gun is a joke. It's awkward to draw from, offer zero concealment and uncomfortable. It is a piece of junk that's similar to the holster that Springfield Armory throw in with their various pistols. These companies can just remove the holster and lower the price $10-20, that would be the better deal.

ST911
07-30-18, 11:29
BTW, the plastic holster that came with the gun is a joke. It's awkward to draw from, offer zero concealment and uncomfortable. It is a piece of junk that's similar to the holster that Springfield Armory throw in with their various pistols. These companies can just remove the holster and lower the price $10-20, that would be the better deal.

Are they still leftover P250 holsters? Last batch of 320s I opened came with same.

Fordtough25
07-30-18, 11:58
Thanks for the confirmation. I tried the 320C in holsters for S&W M&P, G19, CZ P07 and none accepted the fat slide/rail configuration of the 320. But I shot it enough to confirm that I like the pistol for further testing, so I ordered a 320C specific holster for it.

I agree about the factory holster being crap, what did you go with if you don't mind me asking? I need to get one for my P320 with threaded barrel that actually works!

Sam
07-30-18, 13:43
Are they still leftover P250 holsters? Last batch of 320s I opened came with same.

This is what they put in the box:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/holster-lvl1-p250-p320-carry-compact.html

It's a paddle. When worn on the belt, the grip is angled in toward the rib cage and the muzzle end points away from the body. It is the weirdest thing. I couldn't get the gun out unless I tilt my torso to the left (I'm right handed). It is really junk.

Sam
07-30-18, 13:49
I agree about the factory holster being crap, what did you go with if you don't mind me asking? I need to get one for my P320 with threaded barrel that actually works!

After several considerations, I chose this due to price point and style, I do not have a threaded barrel:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZYGRDB/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since that brand of holster has an open ended muzzle, I don't see why it won't work with your barrel.

Many well known companies make great holsters for the 320C, such as Blade Tech, JM Custom kydex, Bravo Concealment, etc.

Fordtough25
07-30-18, 14:33
After several considerations, I chose this due to price point and style, I do not have a threaded barrel:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZYGRDB/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since that brand of holster has an open ended muzzle, I don't see why it won't work with your barrel.

Many well known companies make great holsters for the 320C, such as Blade Tech, JM Custom kydex, Bravo Concealment, etc.

That's a good price for sure! After some time if I fall in love with it I will most likely grab a couple nicer holsters from JM, those are superb!

JaegerOne
07-30-18, 23:32
I've had my P320 Compact for over three years. I had Ameriglo Hack sights installed on it. JM Custom holster is what it rides in.

I did not send it back to Sig for the recall or whatever they call it. I'm completely happy with it the way it is.

ST911
07-31-18, 08:50
This is what they put in the box: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/holster-lvl1-p250-p320-carry-compact.html

It's a paddle. When worn on the belt, the grip is angled in toward the rib cage and the muzzle end points away from the body. It is the weirdest thing. I couldn't get the gun out unless I tilt my torso to the left (I'm right handed). It is really junk.

Yup, those are junk. Looks like it may have been updated though. The ones I saw were marked exclusively for the 250, and were bad fits.

I've had my P320 Compact for over three years. I had Ameriglo Hack sights installed on it. JM Custom holster is what it rides in. I did not send it back to Sig for the recall or whatever they call it. I'm completely happy with it the way it is.

Good luck.

RHINOWSO
07-31-18, 08:59
P320 is a nice pistol, just get it upgraded or don't drop it on it's a$$.

Easy to shoot, especially compared to a Glock - if you don't shoot well with a 320, you need help.

If it works for you, go for it.

556BlackRifle
07-31-18, 13:36
This is what they put in the box:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/holster-lvl1-p250-p320-carry-compact.html

I can't remember for sure but I believe that's the one that came with mine. It is a POS and went straight into the trash can, where it belongs.

SomeOtherGuy
07-31-18, 22:45
For those who use the P320, do you ever get used to the nearly vertical grip angle? I have a P250 compact and that grip angle is a downside to me. If I try to point the pistol with my eyes closed (in a safe dry-fire area), I end up having it pointing well below the intended target.

The X-frame appears to have a more conventional grip angle and shape. Can anyone put the two side by side and photograph them?

Also, have any companies (**cough** Magpul?) announced that they will be making an aftermarket grip frame for the P320 chassis?

Sam
08-01-18, 13:54
For those who use the P320, do you ever get used to the nearly vertical grip angle? I have a P250 compact and that grip angle is a downside to me. If I try to point the pistol with my eyes closed (in a safe dry-fire area), I end up having it pointing well below the intended target.

Also, have any companies (**cough** Magpul?) announced that they will be making an aftermarket grip frame for the P320 chassis?

Interesting question. I'm new to the 320, the first few times I handled them at the gun store, I had no problem in getting a natural grip and sight picture, it did not feel awkward at all. I told a friend that I couldn't get use to the nearly vertical (your words) grip angle of the P365. He said if I didn't like the 365 grip angle, then I shouldn't like the 320. But that's not the case. I think the bigger 320 doesn't magnify the straight up grip as much as the little 365.

When I got a 320C, I dry fired it at home probably around 100 times and it was pretty natural. Taking it to the range and shooting for accuracy and testing reliability, the gun went easily to the point of aim with no too high or too low pointing issue.

As for an aftermarket grip/frame, it's only natural that the same company that make the P80 glock frames should be able to roll out 320 frames.

dwhitehorne
08-01-18, 15:55
Wow straight grip angle. You can see how Glock has really impacted pistols. It use to be all other pistol shooters complain about the Glock angle being different. My understanding is the X carry is just flat sided and your hand goes deeper under the beaver tail. I’m issued a Carry model and have shot the Xcarry. I don’t see a difference in the grip angle. David

Pappabear
08-01-18, 19:56
Only reason I dont run at least a few Glocks is the grip angle. Only Reason. Ive never noticed any issues with grips on the Sigs. They all feel natural to me.

PB

Pappabear
08-01-18, 19:59
Wow straight grip angle. You can see how Glock has really impacted pistols. It use to be all other pistol shooters complain about the Glock angle being different. My understanding is the X carry is just flat sided and your hand goes deeper under the beaver tail. I’m issued a Carry model and have shot the Xcarry. I don’t see a difference in the grip angle. David

It would be goofy to make a improved grip with different grip angle. I was considering buying a X carry frame but just today I realized I would have to buy the 17 round mags, which killed that great idea.

David, thanks for there feedback

PB

SomeOtherGuy
08-01-18, 20:29
Wow straight grip angle. You can see how Glock has really impacted pistols.

The Luger pistol has a much steeper grip angle than the Glock and was introduced in 1898. Old is new again, I guess. Also, the supposedly severe Glock grip angle is only 1-2 degrees more raked than the supposedly ideal 1911 grip angle. Here's one example, though I have seen slightly different angle measurements by others:

http://www.joeglock.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Angles.png

If that measurement is accurate, the P320 is the outlier, since most people consider the 1911 very ergonomic and roughly middle of the road.

Here's another comparison that lacks the P320 but has others:

http://www.glovesandclover.com/1911/pistol-angles.jpg

Again the 1911 and Glock are very close (2 degrees here, 110 for the 1911 vs. 112 for Glock) with the CZ-75 being another 2 degrees more upright at 108, and then an older Sig along with the M&P and Hi-Power at 105. None of them close to the 100 measured for the P320 grip.

I shoot just fine with a Sig P226 but it appears that the P320 frame is a lot more upright, which puzzles me.
For me, the 1911 and CZ-75 point perfectly, the Glock is raked more than ideal but fine if I use the sights, and the P250 I own works OK if I am very deliberate with grip and the sights, but it doesn't point naturally. I like the other features of the P320 - the modularity and trigger - so I'm really just focused on whether the X-frame or any aftermarket grip module will have a more standard (closer to 1911 & CZ) grip angle than the standard grip module. Like many of you, I've rotated through a dozen or more popular handgun types in trying to find what I like best. The 1911 is the best fit to my hand, but I realize that a 40oz pistol with 8rds and sometimes finicky reliability is not ideal for all-around.

Texaspoff
08-02-18, 08:32
The Luger pistol has a much steeper grip angle than the Glock and was introduced in 1898. Old is new again, I guess. Also, the supposedly severe Glock grip angle is only 1-2 degrees more raked than the supposedly ideal 1911 grip angle. Here's one example, though I have seen slightly different angle measurements by others:

If that measurement is accurate, the P320 is the outlier, since most people consider the 1911 very ergonomic and roughly middle of the road.

Again the 1911 and Glock are very close (2 degrees here, 110 for the 1911 vs. 112 for Glock) with the CZ-75 being another 2 degrees more upright at 108, and then an older Sig along with the M&P and Hi-Power at 105. None of them close to the 100 measured for the P320 grip.

I shoot just fine with a Sig P226 but it appears that the P320 frame is a lot more upright, which puzzles me.
For me, the 1911 and CZ-75 point perfectly, the Glock is raked more than ideal but fine if I use the sights, and the P250 I own works OK if I am very deliberate with grip and the sights, but it doesn't point naturally. I like the other features of the P320 - the modularity and trigger - so I'm really just focused on whether the X-frame or any aftermarket grip module will have a more standard (closer to 1911 & CZ) grip angle than the standard grip module. Like many of you, I've rotated through a dozen or more popular handgun types in trying to find what I like best. The 1911 is the best fit to my hand, but I realize that a 40oz pistol with 8rds and sometimes finicky reliability is not ideal for all-around.

Despite the common consensus that the grip angle is what gives people fits, is not correct. The issue with Glocks is the front strap and back strap are not in alignment like other pistols. The large hump on the back throws the hands natural geometry out of whack. When A glock has a reduction done, it brings the backstrap and front strap back into a better alignment. It doesn't change the grip angle, it changes the angle in which your hand contacts and grips the frame.

This is why a lot of people like the 4th and 5th Gen guns, the hump is reduced slightly, which translates into better hand geometry on the grip. Most shooters learn to work around the Glock grip idiosyncrasies, but there is a learning curve with them that almost all other pistol don't have.

The best thing Glock could do is to simply remove the hump on the backstrap. It would give the Glock a completely different feel, and I suspect a lot of the complaints about the Grip angle would stop, just like they do when shooting a Glock with a reduction.

I do find the 320 frames grip to be quite vertical, but I have no issues with them, just like I have no issues with Glocks, factory or reduced.

TXPO

Sam
08-02-18, 08:59
Despite the common consensus that the grip angle is what gives people fits, is not correct. The issue with Glocks is the front strap and back strap are not in alignment like other pistols. The large hump on the back throws the hands natural geometry out of whack. When A glock has a reduction done, it brings the backstrap and front strap back into a better alignment. It doesn't change the grip angle, it changes the angle in which your hand contacts and grips the frame.

The best thing Glock could do is to simply remove the hump on the backstrap. It would give the Glock a completely different feel, and I suspect a lot of the complaints about the Grip angle would stop, just like they do when shooting a Glock with a reduction.

To do that would show the admission that they were wrong all these years. The Austrian wouldn't admit that.

Arik
08-02-18, 09:23

This is why a lot of people like the 4th and 5th Gen guns, the hump is reduced slightly, which translates into better hand geometry on the grip. Most shooters learn to work around the Glock grip idiosyncrasies, but there is a learning curve with them that almost all other pistol don't have.

I do find the 320 frames grip to be quite vertical, but I have no issues with them, just like I have no issues with Glocks, factory or reduced.

TXPO

Im probably weird but I hate straight grips. On some guns the combination of grip and thickness work but usually not. Even my old S&W 3rd gens Id switch out the flat straight grips for the palm swell ones. Same with any other gun that offers a palm swell/hump pannel that mirrors Glock. Shot a few Glocks with the reduced hump and always felt like I'm fighting the gun. Always the feeling that I have to jack my wrist up otherwise the gun is pointing down

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
08-02-18, 12:41

TXPO

The front and back straps are not in "alignment" on most of the pistols I can think of.

"Aligned":
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Colt_1911_01.jpg
(On further review, I noticed that the Luger appears to taper toward the bottom of the grip, making it "fat" near the trigger and "skinny" near the magwell. While this does mean that the back strap and front strap of the pistol are parallel to each other near the magwell, the entire grip is not, "in alignment.")
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Elite1A.jpg

"Non-aligned":
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/M1911A1.png/640px-M1911A1.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/Luger_04_Marinepistole.JPG/640px-Luger_04_Marinepistole.JPG
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/High_power_Inglis_%286971784217%29.jpg/640px-High_power_Inglis_%286971784217%29.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Walther_P38_%286971798779%29.jpg/640px-Walther_P38_%286971798779%29.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/SIG_210-2_%286825677804%29.jpg/640px-SIG_210-2_%286825677804%29.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/SIG220-Morges_two_sides.jpg/480px-SIG220-Morges_two_sides.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/SIG_P226_img_1624.jpg/640px-SIG_P226_img_1624.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Beretta_92FS_left.jpg/640px-Beretta_92FS_left.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/S%26W_M%26P_.40_left_side.JPG/640px-S%26W_M%26P_.40_left_side.JPG
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Koalorka_H%26K_P30L.jpg/640px-Koalorka_H%26K_P30L.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/HK-SFP9_LSH.JPG/640px-HK-SFP9_LSH.JPG
(List continues)

Pappabear
08-02-18, 15:33

Non of this makes sense to me. The pictures don't even make sense. It looks like the Glock on one set of pics is pointing up. I just dont believe the Glock is more like the 1911 grip than the Sig. Pictures and graphs dont explain years of people hating Glock grip angles. Or my son shooting other guns for shit because all he shoots is Glocks and a is new shooter. Cant remember if he shoots high or low, but does it every time he tries to shoot another gun. Glock grip angles are in world of their own. Even if graphs and pics and smoke and mirrors show otherwise. YMMV

Not trying to be a PITA but come on. Weird Glock grip angle can be trained past with a little effort, but it takes a little effort.

PB

Arik
08-02-18, 16:51
Non of this makes sense to me. The pictures don't even make sense. It looks like the Glock on one set of pics is pointing up. I just dont believe the Glock is more like the 1911 grip than the Sig. Pictures and graphs dont explain years of people hating Glock grip angles. Or my son shooting other guns for shit because all he shoots is Glocks and a is new shooter. Cant remember if he shoots high or low, but does it every time he tries to shoot another gun. Glock grip angles are in world of their own. Even if graphs and pics and smoke and mirrors show otherwise. YMMV

Not trying to be a PITA but come on. Weird Glock grip angle can be trained past with a little effort, but it takes a little effort.

PB

I think many people confuse ergonomics and fit

It doesn't matter if the Glock is pointing up or down in that pic because the grip angle is measued to the slide. The gun could be upside down and the grip angle doesn't change

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

LibertyTactical
08-02-18, 21:46
So many mixed reviews. I’m on the fence again, as I’ve found a deal on a knee P320! It’s either the 320 or a 92fs with a cussommlangdon triiver job. Not sure which one to get!

Pappabear
08-03-18, 00:06
So many mixed reviews. I’m on the fence again, as I’ve found a deal on a knee P320! It’s either the 320 or a 92fs with a cussommlangdon triiver job. Not sure which one to get!

just buy one and shoot it

PB

mark5pt56
08-03-18, 06:21
Get the 320 and shoot it! I have both Glocks and Sig 320's, both good guns. You can train through the whole grip angle excuse. Look-they both have triggers and sights! I tend to track my front sight out and ends up where it needs to on both guns. In my opinion, the 320 are like the Glock trigger-all different. But other than the Gen 5 Glocks, the 320 trigger is more consistent across the board. My 320c rx is the best one-other than the 35-5 with Venom.

Both kids(adults) have grown up on Glocks, still have them but shoot the 320 better. So, what does that mean? my son is getting ready to "steal" my FDE 320c and more than likely the other to my daughter.

Sam
08-06-18, 18:32

Received the holster on Friday, the shipping was reasonably quick. The holster fits the gun, comfortable and draw fairly smoothly. I think it should make a good range holster. It is concealable under a light and loose outer garment.

The muzzle on my compact sticks out the bottom by about 1/4". I did order for the compact. For those who are picky, they probably would be upset. But for $30, I'm not going to bother.

Slater
08-12-18, 21:10
Just put a P320 on layaway. This is the full size version (in black) with the third mag and SIGLITE night sights. For anyone that's used them, how have these particular night sights been working out for you?

Slater
08-12-18, 21:14
Looks like Brazil bought a batch. Haven't they got the word that FDE is all the rage?:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/08/08/major-foreign-guns-purchase-by-brazilian-le-market/

awmp
08-12-18, 22:15
I just put some Trijicon HDs XCRs with yellow fronts on yesterday. Much easier to see and pick up faster but hitting 3-4 inches low, I may have to go back to the factory night sights.
Sigs night sights are not bad but the HDs are quicker to pick up.
Time will tell.

Just put a P320 on layaway. This is the full size version (in black) with the third mag and SIGLITE night sights. For anyone that's used them, how have these particular night sights been working out for you?

RHINOWSO
08-12-18, 23:42
Meh, they are fine but just typical 3 dots tritium with small white outlines.

In todays day and age of dual FO/Tritium front sights, they are kind of dated. Personally I try to buy without night sights (all handguns) because odds are I’m going to dump them for Ameriglo Agents or Trijicon XDs of some variety.

But still they are decent usable night sights.

wanderson
08-13-18, 19:52
I took my new P320 full size .45 to the range this weekend, other than the POI being a little low for my taste, no complaints. No malfunctions, good groups for my first outing, very soft shooter, excellent factory trigger. The medium grip is surprisingly small for 10 rounds of .45, doesn’t feel much wider than my .45 Shield. Feels like it would be a good fit with light or medium gloves.

Fordtough25
08-13-18, 20:29

They're working great on my tacops 9mm, shoots point of aim !!

jesuvuah
08-25-18, 09:26
I finally got a chance to shoot one yesterday. I went to a range about an hour away that does rentals. I rented a Sig 226 and a 320. The 226 went like it has for me in the past....it is not the gun for me. I always ride the slide lock and never shoot it that great. In truth, the p07 is the only DA/SA I have liked.

The 320 on the other hand shot like a laser for me. I honestly shot it better then I do my glocks....accuracy wise. The high bore axis made it a little snappier though, and slowed down my follow up shots

Would I trade in my Glocks for 320s? That is a big no. Even if I wanted too, with all the mags, accessories, and parts I own for glocks, they will probably always be my go too.

Would I buy a 320? Maybe? It shoots straight and feels natural in my hand. The modularity is cool, even though I feel it is gimmicky. I only say that because by the time you buy all of the parts to convert it around, I would just assume spend a little more and get a 2nd gun.

I still don't love the idea of having a fully cocked striker, with no safety, and no trigger safety. I understand that you can get them with The trigger safety or a manual safety though.

I think my wife would really like the gun. She hates my Glocks. She also feels insecure about not having a manual safety, and since that is an option, it could work good for her.
I do see why people like them though. And if I were just getting in the game, I would consider one.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

1986s4
08-25-18, 16:46
My thoughts on the 320:
I handled one at my LGS and thought it felt cheaply put together. I don't own a Glock or any other poly SF pistol. I have some time with a Glock, it just didn't work for me. I do like HK P30 so I am considering a LEM version.
It is unfathomable to me that SIG put together and sold a pistol that was not 100% drop proof in this day and age. I mean lawsuits and all? Come 'on SIG ! But they did fix it. I will not be getting one although they seem popular with the competition folks.

Rattler5
08-31-18, 12:49
I rented one a few months back. I liked the weight and I shot it better than the glock 17 I was renting at the same time.