PDA

View Full Version : First / Final Build, updated photos

noonesshowmonkey
07-07-18, 16:14
This is the first AR-15 that I have fully assembled on my own. The whole project started almost entirely on accident. I bought an ALG lower parts kit on super sale, and then stumbled into a great deal on an Aero Precision receiver set. Oh shit, I said to myself, it looks like I am building a rifle... For a while, I was waffling on what barrel to get: a Ballistic Advantage CHF CL 14.5" for the durability and their purported accuracy, or a Noveske Afghan 14.5" stainless steel for the reknown precision even over the course of 20,000 rounds. I found the BA barrel on sale, and moved forward.

As it stands, the current upper mounts an Aimpoint T2 on an ADM to go along with the BA CHF CL barrel. The twinned upper, which parts are en route to me now, will mount the Razor 1-6 along with the Noveske Afghan. That configuration should be able to let me take the 556 round out to 500m and beyond. I'll update the thread once that upper is complete.

GENERAL PURPOSE UPPER

Aero Precision Upper + parts kit

I got these on sale, and they work. I don't know what else to say.
Ballistic Advantage Cold Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Hanson Profile 14.5" barrel

The Hanson profile is a little slimmer and moves the weight towards the magazine well, which is where I wanted the balance point to be. The end result feels great in the hand.
Geissele Mk14 handguard, 13"

Geissele leads the pack with their designs, and if you're replacing the stock barrel nut and delta ring, I can't think of a better design on the market than the G/ALG barrel nut. There's just so much material contact, across such a length, that there's no flex whatever. Just a brilliant design. Plus, I got it on sale.
Toolcraft Nitride 9310 BCG

Nitride or die.
Geissele Airborne Charging Handle

I figured that Bill Geissele knew his shit and that the fellas speccing the design were consummate armsmen. It does not disappoint. Beautifully machined, with a great compromise in girth for the well knurled latches, I am very interested to see how this runs.
Vortex Flash Hider

Docsherm and GTF425 both counseled me towards using these, stating that they were the best flash hider in the bidness. Until I get an AAC suppressor mount, this is what I'll be running.
Troy Flip Up BUIS

Bombproof, and they work. What more need be said.
Streamlight Railmount Weaponlight on an Arisaka Offset Mount

I run one of these on a Haley Strategic Dropwing on my other rifle, and it has never failed me (and I don't exactly baby my shit).
BCM Gunfighter VFG

I'm a fan of stubby foregrips. This one was on sale. The end.
Aimpoint T2 on ADM mount

Very light weight, bomb proof optic on a great mount.

RECCE UPPER

Noveske Afghan 14.5" stainless steel barrel

Those in the know have told me time and again that these are the best barrels you can get. A legit 1/2 MOA barrel out to 20,000 rounds. I fully intend on testing this theory.
Geissele Mk14 handguard, 13"

A matching handguard.
VLTOR MUR upper receiver

After some guidance from a few great shooters that I know (Eurodriver, I'm looking at you and your badass precision rifle), I caved in. If my goal was a precision upper, why compromise?
Aero Upper Parts Kit

On sale, in spec, works.
Vortex Razor HD 1-6 w/ JM-1 in Geissele 1.93 Super Precision Mount

Easily one of the finest optics that I've ever laid hands on, and a legit 1x red dot. With the JM-1, I should be able to rapidly engage man-sized targets out to 500m with relative ease, which was indeed the mission statement for this upper. The Geissele 1.93 Super Precision mount is a work of art. I'll eventually be mounting a PEQ onto these uppers, and so the high mount is important to the overall design trajectory.

LOWER

Aero Precision Lower Receiver

See above. On sale, in spec, works. The end.
ALG Lower Parts Kit

The only changes here were the fire control group (detailed below), and the addition of an MOE trigger guard (it was on sale for $4, which is less than I spend on a sammich) and a BCM Mod 1 grip.
Seekins Precision Short Throw Ambidextrous Safety

Rugged, well designed, handsome and toothsome knurling... what's not to like? If there is one control on my rifle that I want fully ambidextrous, it is the safety.
Geissele G2S Trigger

My main rifle runs a G2S, and I honestly couldn't see a reason to run anything else.
BCM A5 Receiver Extension + BCM Gunfighter SOPMOD Stock + BCM QD Endplate

I've always wanted to run an A5 system on my main rifle. The engineering principles at work allow for much better operating conditions with much finer controls over said conditions. Given that I was building from the ground up, there was no reason not to get it. Were I building with a completed lower, I'd get a stock Carbine extension and drive on, but that wasn't the goal here. I was building a lightsaber.

In closing, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. This was a helluva project. I can't thank the fellas on this forum that helped me out enough. In particular: ContaxShooter, Docsherm, Eurodriver, GTF425, Mr. Goodtimes. You all either provided material support and/or were incredibly patient with your responses to my (too many) questions. With the completion of the second upper, I should be essentially done. I'll have a light weight red dot upper that will reliably fight out to 300m, and a precision upper that will take the effective engagement range out to the very limits of the 5.56x45mm cartridge.

I'll update the thread once I get the Afghan upper put together.

jpmuscle
07-07-18, 16:21
Should have just bought the new Geissele URG Upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Goodtimes
07-07-18, 16:26
Should have just bought a KAC.

docsherm
07-07-18, 16:29
Good build. Don't listen to them.

Outlander Systems
07-07-18, 16:37
With that optic bridging the upper and rail, it will lose zero/fly off the gun the first time you shoot it.

contax_shooter
07-07-18, 16:45
Should have just bought a KAC.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1745/28018862587_f1f720fa19_o.jpg

joffe
07-07-18, 17:00
With that optic bridging the upper and rail, it will lose zero/fly off the gun the first time you shoot it.

Indeed, this build needs a cantilever mount.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-07-18, 17:02
So now that we’re done ruining your exceedingly well put together and informative thread.... Very well thought out and put together rifle dude. This rifle embodies everything a good general purpose rifle should be.

Wake27
07-07-18, 17:07
Yeah I’d recommend extending the stock and moving that optic back. There’s hardly any reason to use an optic mount to bridge the upper and rail, even if it’s a solid rail.

noonesshowmonkey
07-07-18, 17:16
Yeah I’d recommend extending the stock and moving that optic back. There’s hardly any reason to use an optic mount to bridge the upper and rail, even if it’s a solid rail.

Note bene regarding the current photo: the super precision mount was used to time the rail to the upper during installation. The Razor HD 1-6 will be on the Afghan upper, which is yet to be assembled. The current build will use an aimpoint T2, but I do not yet have the mount.

I was just excited after having finished the base rifle.

The final configurations are coming.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-07-18, 17:16
No need for cantilever mount. Problem solved.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180707/569bd618d31f97f332361aea43cd55a9.jpg

jpmuscle
07-07-18, 17:22
No need for cantilever mount. Problem solved.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180707/569bd618d31f97f332361aea43cd55a9.jpg

Must be a SEALs rifle....

Outlander Systems
07-07-18, 17:34
KT Tape or RockTape would help with that mount bridging the upper.

joeg26er
07-07-18, 17:39
KT Tape or RockTape would help with that mount bridging the upper.

Also needs a Sling - what is up with these rifle pics without slings?

noonesshowmonkey
07-07-18, 17:51
Also needs a Sling - what is up with these rifle pics without slings?

Magpul MS4 not pictured.

Outlander Systems
07-07-18, 18:53
I’ve been using a DIY sling that I crafted out of KT Tape and some spare QD mounts.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-07-18, 19:03
I’ve been using a DIY sling that I crafted out of KT Tape and some spare QD mounts.

How’s that working out for you?

Outlander Systems
07-07-18, 19:51
Pretty good.

The side benefit is that where the KT Tape crosses over on my shoulder and my back there is a decrease in the accumulation of lymphatic fluids by decompressing the layers of fascia, in addition to supporting the weapon.

How’s that working out for you?

jpmuscle
07-07-18, 20:14
Pretty good.

The side benefit is that where the KT Tape crosses over on my shoulder and my back there is a decrease in the accumulation of lymphatic fluids by decompressing the layers of fascia, in addition to supporting the weapon.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180708/5aaa09b94cca0f34e8563f731996e82c.png

Wake27
07-07-18, 20:48
Note bene regarding the current photo: the super precision mount was used to time the rail to the upper during installation. The Razor HD 1-6 will be on the Afghan upper, which is yet to be assembled. The current build will use an aimpoint T2, but I do not yet have the mount.

I was just excited after having finished the base rifle.

The final configurations are coming.

That makes sense.

Also I feel like I missed an inside joke around here.

grizzman
07-07-18, 21:33
I laughed out loud at that one.

noonesshowmonkey
07-13-18, 16:18
I finally got the ADM mount in the mail, and put the T2 on. I scored the T2 via Mile High Shooting with their sales of unused LE Trade Ins. All in, the T2+mount cost $570. I'll live. The photos on the main post have been updated to reflect what is the current condition of the general purpose upper, fully assembled.

With the T2 on, instead of the Razor 1-6, the rifle is incredibly agile. Really digging it.

Also, the MS4 sling was attached when the photographs were put up, which should calm the nerves of several forum users.

Once I get the barrel in hand, I'll put together the recce upper, and the project will be done. Pics when that's finished, clearly.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-13-18, 16:29
I finally got the ADM mount in the mail, and put the T2 on. I scored the T2 via Mile High Shooting with their sales of unused LE Trade Ins. All in, the T2+mount cost $570. I'll live.

With the T2 on, instead of the Razor 1-6, the rifle is incredibly agile. Really digging it.

Also, the MS4 sling was attached when the photographs were put up, which should calm the nerves of several forum users.

The Razor is really versatile and a definite battlefield multiplier but there is something sort of refreshing about a rifle with a T2.

jpmuscle
07-13-18, 21:07
The Razor is really versatile and a definite battlefield multiplier but there is something sort of refreshing about a rifle with a T2.

That’s because you don’t even lift, Linda

[emoji41]

Mr. Goodtimes
07-13-18, 21:32
That’s because you don’t even lift, Linda

[emoji41]

I only LARP. Brb can’t drive muh 9lb rifle.

Eurodriver
07-16-18, 03:57
Sitting in airport drunk af bec I missed the last flight last night cuz I had too many margaritas with this gorgeous rthot hot shot in Hell’s Kitchen (wtf name) while the obviously male gay waiter kept calling me “beh-bee” has me reminisce for simple times.

This rifle is great for that of the times.

Mood.

Eurodriver
07-16-18, 04:02
PA mer I didn’t give no support in no way been too busy you did it on ya own broken

Hey real talk lol

Eurodriver
07-16-18, 04:04
Wtf why do PMs look not like PMs.

Hey I miss her she’s so pretty tho real talked

sig1473
07-16-18, 04:12
Wow.................

jpmuscle
07-16-18, 08:24
Haha classic Euro is classic

I love it

noonesshowmonkey
07-16-18, 13:21
Thus far, there's Linda jokes, KT tape memes, and Drunk Euro. Plus some guy bugging me about a sling, and of course the obligatory "OMG YOU BRIDGED THE UPPER RECEIVER GAP! YOUR RIFLE WILL SELF DESTRUCT AND THE OPTIC WILL GO INTO LOW ORBIT WHEN YOU SHOOT IT!" M4C shitposting.

This thread is... well... it wasn't what I expected.

Once I get the Noveske Afghan in, I'll be assembling the other upper. Depending on Length of Pull, I may actually mount the Razor 1-6 with the front mounting bolt on the first handguard slot! OH MY!

I tried to zero the GP upper today, but my agency range master had already left the facility. Womp womp. The only 100y range within an hour drive in my AO is a bubba ranch, and they don't let you do anything fun. So, it'll have to wait for my next off day.

Eurodriver
07-16-18, 13:25
Thus far, there's Linda jokes, KT tape memes, and Drunk Euro. Plus some guy bugging me about a sling, and of course the obligatory "OMG YOU BRIDGED THE UPPER RECEIVER GAP! YOUR RIFLE WILL SELF DESTRUCT AND THE OPTIC WILL GO INTO LOW ORBIT WHEN YOU SHOOT IT!" M4C shitposting.

This thread is... well... it wasn't what I expected.

Once I get the Noveske Afghan in, I'll be assembling the other upper. Depending on Length of Pull, I may actually mount the Razor 1-6 with the front mounting bolt on the first handguard slot! OH MY!

I tried to zero the GP upper today, but my agency range master had already left the facility. Womp womp. The only 100y range within an hour drive in my AO is a bubba ranch, and they don't let you do anything fun. So, it'll have to wait for my next off day.

Bro what do you expect. This is the internet. Dudes just wanna like pics on IG and drool over neat staged photos rather than go stand in a swamp in the rain and shoot and run and dive and transition. Just go shoot that shit and laugh when they’re like omg you did X wrong.

Btw I legit do not have any idea what that second post is even attempting to say. I hope drunk euro isn’t a prob.

docsherm
07-16-18, 13:45
Btw I legit do not have any idea what that second post is even attempting to say. I hope drunk euro isn’t a prob.

I was laughing for about 3 hours............. :jester:

jpmuscle
07-16-18, 14:48
I was laughing for about 3 hours............. :jester:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180716/4f0ee9a43d2e4747b157f27a211fb635.jpg

docsherm
07-16-18, 15:15
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180716/4f0ee9a43d2e4747b157f27a211fb635.jpg

WTF? Is that for?

noonesshowmonkey