PDA

View Full Version : 25% off on Ebay purchases via Windows Live promo

Erik Eastman
10-26-08, 14:00
Don't know how many of you have seen this, but it's a great way to find a deal on that item you really wanted that was just a bit out of reach for you.

I just picked up a NIB Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44mm for $495.

I saved $165 off the listed price of $659, which was already among the cheapest prices I found.

It was very easy.

You have to sign up for a Windows Live account. It's a new web browser Microsoft is pushing.

From there you use Live.com to search for whatever you are looking to buy (Zeiss Riflescopes for example)

When the list of search results comes up, click on the Ebay listing for what you are looking for. It should have a little sign that says something about cash back next to it.

Search through the availible ebay listings for the item/price you are interested in.

It only works for items that say "Buy Now" not the auction items. When you click the "Buy Now" button, it will tell you what your cash back amount will be on the next screen. You confirm after that.

Buy the item using Pay Pal.

The cash back money shows up in your Microsoft Live Cash Back account under "Total Pending Cash back" within a day or two.

In 60 days you can have the money put into your Pay Pal account, or sent directly to you by check, or direct deposit into a checking account.

It's basically like a %25, mail- in rebate for anything on ebay. No matter how cheap they have it listed for. I think the limit for cash back on a single purchase is like $200.

I'm doing all my Christmas shopping this way.

I got sick deal on my scope. I found Maxpedition Fatboy Versipacks for $40.

It's legit. I don't know how they can do this, but they are.

Good hunting!

Spooky130
10-26-08, 14:05
I bought an Aimpoint T-1 Micro with LaRue mount for $368 after the rebate. I used a 10% off eBay thing as well (CFALLSAVINGS10P). And it is coming from Grant of G&R Tactical. Over on TOS the guys at SWFA were taking requests from people and putting them on eBay to save folks good money. I feel great because this has to eat at eBay's profits!

Spooky

Erik Eastman
10-26-08, 14:09
Thats a great deal Spooky.

We should get a request thread going here with some of the dealers on this site if there isn't already.

Might help everyone get some stuff on the cheap plus help the dealers move some inventory.

EDIT: just found an IM 3100 Storm case for $140 bucks.

My wife is going to kill me after the dust settles.

NetJunkie
10-26-08, 14:33
We have a pretty good thread going on this in the Optics forum. There is also a 10% off coupon floating around so you can get 35% (or 40% if it goes back up to 30%).

Erik Eastman
10-26-08, 14:35
Thanks netjunkie

krichbaum
10-26-08, 19:18
Thanks a lot Erik. Now I have to go and spend more money that I shouldn't. :)

jchen012
10-26-08, 20:45
Yea this is a good deal. I have basically bought all of my AR accessories off ebay. Just got a Tango Down vertical grip and saved $20.

Jmacken37
10-31-08, 22:49
Is this deal still active? I can't seem to get much and can't link to ebay.

Jake

CrawGator
10-31-08, 23:01
Just tried it. Search for ipod then click on the ebay link. You should see the discount (still 25%). You can change and search for whatever you want once in ebay.

SRG
10-31-08, 23:26
Maxpedition. Made in China. Bad juju.

Erik Eastman
11-01-08, 08:58
Didn't know it was made in China when I bought it but tbh I don't think I care because it's an awesomely well made pack. All my essentials in one little sack, I just grab it and run.

I still eat Chinese food too. I know, I'm awful.

ST911
11-01-08, 16:03
Maxpedition. Made in China. Bad juju.

Didn't know it was made in China when I bought it but tbh I don't think I care because it's an awesomely well made pack. All my essentials in one little sack, I just grab it and run. I still eat Chinese food too. I know, I'm awful.

Admittedly not optimal origin, but the Maxpedition gear is certainly not your typical chicom nylon gear either. They have some great designs that are well executed, with quality construction. Some are particularly good. Customer service/support is excellent.

Credit where credit is due.

Karl in NY
11-02-08, 00:06
This Microsoft Live Search cashback program is relatively new...I just signed-up for an account, and quickly found a killer deal for an Eotech at a 25% cashback via an eBay Buy-it-Now from a seller with 100% feedback rating...the final price being way cheaper than anything I have found anywhere.

I have not yet drunk from the bowl of kool-aid, however. Some detectors went off...like my bullshit alarm...maybe (hopefully) just a false-alarm...

What is the buyer's recourse if the retailer doesn't actually transfer the cashback in the 60-90 day post-purchase period? I read the "terms and conditions" from Microsoft, and this is not really addressed.

Has anyone here actually gotten a Cashback transfer to a bank account, or has your status just been "pending" for two months?

NetJunkie
11-02-08, 00:09
The cashback money doesn't come from the reseller. They don't even know you're using this promotion. The money comes from Microsoft. And yes, I have money sitting in my bank account from the cash back deal. It's been going on for more than enough time that people have gotten their money back out of it.

So calm down..check your cashback account in 24 to 48 hours to see that it's counting down from 60 days.

AwaySooner
11-02-08, 01:01
It's a real deal.

Karl in NY
11-02-08, 08:27
I guess I'm just too naive to understand the business model, then.
MS states that the cashback period, typically 60-90 days, is determined by the merchant, which certainly implies that the seller knows that the buyer is enrolled in the program.

Besides, it just doesn't make sense that Microsoft itself would give me a discount of $87 off an Eotech just as a reward for using their LiveSearch search engine once, despite their agenda of killing Google.

I remain skeptical, but will take my first swallow of the cyanide-laced mountain dew...

BTW, I'm still waiting for my Microsoft vs. New York class-action lawsuit settlement check of $107...maybe I'm just impatient, but three years seems like a long time.

mtdawg169
11-02-08, 09:02
It does seem like a crazy way to draw attention to your search engine, but it is definitely for real. The first time they rolled it out, they got nailed by some folks on fatwallet.com who set up multiple accounts and were buying gold pieces, etc. Now, there is a $200 per transaction savings limit and a max number of transactions per user or session, I'm not sure which.

So far I've saved $125 on an aimpoint T-1, $72 on a Bushnell rangefinder and $60 on a set of CT lasergrips. That's on top of the already low Ebay prices. Unfortunately the program has ended for the time being. It will probably return though.

Karl in NY
11-02-08, 09:09
Unfortunately the program has ended for the time being. It will probably return though.

What program has ended?
Cashback itself, or one particular merchant?

Erik Eastman
11-02-08, 09:32
I guess I'm just too naive to understand the business model, then.
MS states that the cashback period, typically 60-90 days, is determined by the merchant, which certainly implies that the seller knows that the buyer is enrolled in the program.

Besides, it just doesn't make sense that Microsoft itself would give me a discount of $87 off an Eotech just as a reward for using their LiveSearch search engine once, despite their agenda of killing Google.

I remain skeptical, but will take my first swallow of the cyanide-laced mountain dew...

BTW, I'm still waiting for my Microsoft vs. New York class-action lawsuit settlement check of $107...maybe I'm just impatient, but three years seems like a long time.

It's just Microsoft's wealth being redistributed. Drink up. Mine tasted like Tropical Punch and I loved it.

I have saved over $300 on my current build.

The only "problem" I see is that I sit there trying to think of things I can buy.

krichbaum
11-02-08, 14:51
It's just Microsoft's wealth being redistributed.
I sit there trying to think of things I can buy.

It's a win-win situation. Get some of that MS money, and get cool stuff for crazy good prices. I've also been trying to think of things I can buy that I might end up buying down the road. Got a couple scopes and several things not gun related already. I just wish I hadn't blown my additional ebay 10% code before thinking it through...could have really knocked the price down on some good glass.

AwaySooner
11-02-08, 22:20
I can explain the model to you, but then my employer wouldn't be too happy about that. Let's just say enjoy it while it last.

SubSolar
11-06-08, 03:49
Got an Eotech 512 for about $280 shipped.

RedOil
11-22-08, 22:36
Just got a Aimpoint M4s for $454.96 from SWFA. It will go great with my new Noveske N4 Recce Low Pro 16. Got the 25% plus 10% more for using the coupon code CHOLIDAYNOV2008.

BDR529
11-23-08, 10:26
I'm an eBay Platinum PowerSeller for an unrelated business, and I'm having trouble figuring this out! I did receive some notifications that eBay was going to bring the program back mid/late November, and that the majority of their holiday marketing budget was going to be for coupons. I have a 10% eBay coupon and all the parts except the optics for a rifle build. I want to combine it with the 25% Live offer.

I go to live.com, click in the upper right on "cashback" and search for "ACOG". No eBay results.

Then, I go to eBay and search with the preference of "Show Only: Eligible for Microsoft Cashback". I bunch of results come up, but I can not find any of these on the Live Cashback site.

I'm concerned that if I do not click through from the Live Cashback site, then I will not get the 25% off.

Am I doing something wrong?

DWood
11-23-08, 10:56
..... I go to live.com, click in the upper right on "cashback" and search for "ACOG". No eBay results.............. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes you are. Don't click on CashBack. Use the Live Search window on the first page that opens up. Type in aimpoint. The first listing at the top of the page will have the Cash Back logo. Open it which will take you to EBay. Now, search EBay for anything you are looking for.

BDR529
11-23-08, 11:38
Yes you are. Don't click on CashBack. Use the Live Search window on the first page that opens up. Type in aimpoint. The first listing at the top of the page will have the Cash Back logo. Open it which will take you to EBay. Now, search EBay for anything you are looking for.

Gotcha. The 1st result is a paid advertisement from eBay. Looking at the terms for eBay/MS Cashback, I think that once it is clicked a 60 minute session is started where a cashback purchase can be made. Thanks!

AwaySooner
11-23-08, 13:22
BDR529, as long as when you are on ebay, and see the Microsoft Cashback 25% icon on top, you are good to go, otherwise, no. Do a search on Aimpoint, to get the icon from live search, click to go to Ebay, then search acog, as long as the cashback icon still on ebay, you are fine to buy acog instead. Remember, the program go in and out, some day it's not on for some keywords.

BDR529
11-23-08, 18:25
Thanks for all your help. I just got a ACOG TA31TRD for under $1K!

XxMerlinxX
11-23-08, 22:20
Oh... I wish I hadn't seen this thread.

R Lewis
11-28-08, 01:34
Guys,

I just purchased an Aimpoint 3X Magnifier tonight using the cashback program. Also used a 10% Ebay coupon and got it for $297. But guess what? No waiting on the cash back. Live.com immediately put the cash in my Paypal account. Something must have changed because there is a 60 day wait on my past purchases. Thought I would get the word out.

allenst65
11-28-08, 08:31
Had heard something good may happen with the Live search deal today. Used the Live search to find my item and saw the amount was bouncing up from 25 to 30%. The problem was this discount was not carrying over to Ebay and I ended up missing an auction that finished since the banner never showed up on Ebay's pages. Of course, 30 mins after the auction closed, Ebay started working again and showed the Live search cashback banner.

I ended up making two purchases and likewise saw that both immediately were deposited to my PP funds, no 60 day wait. Previous purchases made a few weeks ago are still sitting at 'pending' status, so maybe this immediate PP deposit is today's perk.

Heavy Metal
11-28-08, 10:43
Didn't know it was made in China when I bought it but tbh I don't think I care because it's an awesomely well made pack. All my essentials in one little sack, I just grab it and run.

I still eat Chinese food too. I know, I'm awful.

Don't worry, the cat was American!:D

AwaySooner
11-28-08, 14:25
Cashback only work on buyitnow, not auction. Yes, it's 30% today immediately to your paypal account, no 60 days wait on some item, not sure what the logic is for 60 days wait.

RedOil
11-28-08, 16:32
Just picked up a Aimpoint 3x with all discounts for 268.00.

dewatters
11-28-08, 16:40
...not sure what the logic is for 60 days wait.

They don't want folks buying items, returning them for refunds, and still pocketing the cashback percentage.

AwaySooner
11-28-08, 16:51
Yeah but I just bought a Aimpoint CompM4s and they deposit immediately into my paypal. And I bought another SKD case that then required 60 days. Seem random to me.

Charlie Golf
11-28-08, 20:37
This is an awesome tip!

A few questions:

1. eBay says you have to have a Microsoft cashback account. I assume since I have a Live.com login and it is showing the logo at the top of the eBay page I am good to go?

2. I have linked my PayPal account to my eBay account (first time to use my PayPal in 4 years of having it) and assume I just click the PayPal link on eBay to pay?

3. Am looking at an item for the wife for Christmas (not firearm related) and it is showing me what the savings would be but before I click on the "Commit to Buy" am curious if any items are ineligible for the cashback savings?

TIA

ETA

Answered my own questions:
1. YES

2. YES

3. Some items are not eligible. It will tell you on the Purchase Review before you click Commit to Buy.

Thank you to the OP...you made a future EOTech owner VERY happy!!!

Verbal Kint
11-28-08, 21:01
Just a head's up... the cashback refund has been increased again. It's 30% now.

Just snagged a Harris SLM Bipod (normally $99) for $69, to use with my SPR build.

EDIT: Guess I should have read the newer posts in the thread. It's obviously already been mentioned. D'oh!

28_days
11-28-08, 23:03
I just snagged an Aimpoint CompC3 w/ QRP mount for $250 shipped (SWFA). Fantastic.

SoDak
11-28-08, 23:38
I just snagged an Aimpoint CompC3 w/ QRP mount for $250 shipped (SWFA). Fantastic.

Ugh, and here I spent about the same amount of money a few months back for an inferior setup using a 9000sc(it work good, but I have no room for a magnfier and it limits my buis choices.) I might have to give this live promo a chance.

1911pro
11-29-08, 14:09
I just got a T-1 with AMD mount for $399.00 out the door ( 30% live search and 10% ebay off the price). Amazing deal!

dewatters
12-01-08, 15:00
eBay is running another 10% coupon just for today (Dec. 1). So with the 30% Live Cashback, you can get 40% off of any one item bought today.

XxMerlinxX
12-05-08, 13:54
Is this not going on anymore?

dewatters
12-05-08, 15:56
Is this not going on anymore?

I checked today, and Live Cashback was down to only 15% for eBay.

XxMerlinxX
12-05-08, 16:53
Hmmm... I searched for Bushnell Powerview earlier and came up with zip. If I search for Bushnell, then yes, I do see the 15%. That's too bad.

BVickery
12-05-08, 17:09
Got the wife her FDE Magpul MOE stock and FDE MIAD basic grip kit. Tried to get the MIAD from Grant and other stores that advertise here but they were all out.

buckshot1220
12-05-08, 17:19
I just checked and there is no cashback through MS Live for Ebay right now. Good thing I got my Aimpoint M4 when it was at 30%:D There are a few things I want to get for myself, but nothing that can't wait until the cashback goes up again.

dewatters
12-05-08, 17:26
Hmmm... I searched for Bushnell Powerview earlier and came up with zip. If I search for Bushnell, then yes, I do see the 15%. That's too bad.

Unfortunately, the Cashback banner now no longer appears for eBay, even for other products. However, if it does return, use this strategy.

Do a generic search on Live for Bushnell to get the Cashback link to eBay. Once you've linked to eBay, then you can do a more specific search there to find the exact product you want. In most cases, the Cashback percentage will still apply to other "Buy Me Now" items, even those completely unrelated to the original product search.

SHIVAN
12-05-08, 20:51
Ok, I am trying to find a Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder using this cashback system, but I must be doing something wrong. Can someone tell me what I might be missing?

The only cashback items I see are in the 4-7% range.

Mark71
12-05-08, 21:45
Ok, I am trying to find a Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder using this cashback system, but I must be doing something wrong. Can someone tell me what I might be missing?

The only cashback items I see are in the 4-7% range.

The promo is currently down to the 4-7% range. It seems to fluctuate and does go down to single digits every so often. About 2 weekends ago it went down to this range with it jumping back up to 30% a few days later. Hopefully it will go back up as I need to buy some more things as well.

zippygaloo
12-06-08, 02:15
I have an available cashback amount but was wondering if Paypal will ding me for receiving my cashback refund right back into my Paypal account instead of a bank account or check by mail. Anyone know?

Mark71
12-19-08, 00:43
I have an available cashback amount but was wondering if Paypal will ding me for receiving my cashback refund right back into my Paypal account instead of a bank account or check by mail. Anyone know?

If anyone was still wondering, I just received my cashback and paypal did not deduct anything. I got the full amount and it took 2 days to go into my paypal account.

zippygaloo
12-29-08, 00:43
Is the whole Live.com cashback thing done for good?