PDA

View Full Version : Geissele MK 16 rail stanndalone

Skeeter98
07-08-18, 23:02
Will this rail ever be sold by itself or is Giessele trying to make the URGI like the Daniel Defense MK18 upper with their RIS 2?

VIP3R 237
07-09-18, 00:50
According to geissele there is no plans to offer it separately at this time. However talking to some of the booth guys at SHOT they said that hopefully it will be available one day as a stand-alone item.

WTF?Shane
07-10-18, 01:51
At the moment, only offered as part of URG-I package.

rpoL98
07-10-18, 17:44
somebody should ask this question at the next Bill Geissele livestream.
- will it ever be offered separately?
- how many years from now before it's offered separately?

Press Check
07-10-18, 17:50
As long as folks are buying URG-I uppers, that rail will never come to market as a stand-alone item.

elephantrider
07-10-18, 18:05
somebody should ask this question at the next Bill Geissele livestream.
- will it ever be offered separately?
- how many years from now before it's offered separately?

It's been asked, and answered with the same sort of info. that you see in this thread. No plans, or determined date for seperate Mk16 sales as of yet.
Common sense tells you that GA is clearly more interested in selling URGIs than selling stand alone Mk16 rails, and that stand alone Mk16 sales are more likely to occur once URGI sales drop significantly.

Skeeter98
07-11-18, 23:06
I think you're 100% right. I was hoping someone else had maybe a little more info. I think this rail would make all of his other rails obsolete. Maybe once this one drops the other will go on sale? So I guess maybe a year or more from now. I can't justify spending $930 on an upper that I can build with similar quality if not better components for cheaper. I wonder what BCG's come with the $1400 package. Ill just save up for the mk14 then.

Stickman
07-12-18, 00:03
I would imagine the last few years of the RIS II and DD have been an interesting business model, and that plenty of companies have been watching. No matter how much a company is loved or hated, they are still there to make money.

Why sell a part when you can sell a system?

jpmuscle
07-12-18, 09:17
I would imagine the last few years of the RIS II and DD have been an interesting business model, and that plenty of companies have been watching. No matter how much a company is loved or hated, they are still there to make money.

Why sell a part when you can sell a system?

And a terrible business model at that. All DD had to do was make RIS rails instead of wasting time make bougie nonsense.

That said the cult of geissele is strong but in the last live web release they said the SF 4 prong would never be available and now they dropped a preorder for complete URGs with 4 prongs. So, they’ll drop the mk16 rails at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03scgt
07-12-18, 09:55
I love Geissele but I really don't see spending $1250 on an upper that you can literally put together(short of the rail) for far less.

Upper $80
dd barrel $250
dd bcg $160
charging handle $90
gas tube/block $60
warcomp $130

total $770 and that's just grabbing the parts from Brownells and not waiting for sales.It seems to me that they roughly value that mk16 rail at $500 which is way high for a 556 rifle. I think we'll eventually see it when the clone guys stop buying the urg

07-12-18, 10:30
I wanted a URGI but the cost killed it for me.

I had a Colt BCG already and everything else ran me less than $700 and I went 16” instead of 14.5 p&w.

rpoL98
07-12-18, 17:06
I love Geissele but I really don't see spending $1250 on an upper that you can literally put together(short of the rail) for far less.

Upper $80
dd barrel $250
dd bcg $160
charging handle $90
gas tube/block $60
warcomp $130

total $770 and that's just grabbing the parts from Brownells and not waiting for sales.It seems to me that they roughly value that mk16 rail at $500 which is way high for a 556 rifle. I think we'll eventually see it when the clone guys stop buying the urg

I did a similar breakdown, using the Brownells catalog, and some substitution:

Colt M4 upper assy $178.99
DD 14.5" mid-gas govt profile barrel $275
Colt BCG (Shark Arms, not listed in Brownells catalog) $125
Geissele ACH DDC $99
equiv: Surefire 3-prong FH $129
equiv: Geissele Mk 14 13" rail DDC $275
Geissele gas block SS nitride $69 (ETA: included w/ Mk 14 rail)
gas tube (nominal) $10
pin & weld service for muzzle device $40
shipping to/from pin & weld service $35 (that's what it actually costs me whenever I do it)
single cross-pin service for gas block $20

I come out to $1,255 using those substitutions (3P vs 4P, Mk14 vs Mk16, etc). FWIW. YMMV, your shipping costs are probably different than mine, also.

-------------------------
ETA: when deleting the Geissele GB, the revised number is $1,187.

07-12-18, 22:26
You wouldn’t need to buy a gas block. The barrel and the rail would come with one so you’d have a $25 has block to sell on the EE.

rpoL98
07-12-18, 22:31
You wouldn’t need to buy a gas block. The barrel and the rail would come with one so you’d have a $25 gas block to sell on the EE.

you're absolutely right, the Mk 14 rail includes the super gas block, so I should subtract $69 from the total, revised to $1,187.

everready73
07-13-18, 08:00
you're absolutely right, the Mk 14 rail includes the super gas block, so I should subtract $69 from the total, revised to $1,187.

Shark arms has the colt uppers for $125 so thats another $50 off. They also have colt upper/bcg/ charging handle for $225. You could sell the ch to make the combo like $200. Just ideas for anyone that does want to build one instead.

I have ordered from Chris at Shark Arms several times. He is great and they are GTG. I was a little skeptical the first time because of the outdated website and ordering process, but call him and he will take care of you