PDA

View Full Version : US Army purchase of various SIG weapons...

Slater
07-10-18, 15:40
Do any .gov agencies currently use the SP 2022?

"The contemplated effort will be a Firm Fixed Priced (FFP) Purchase Order to be completed once the kits are delivered 14 days after award. Sig Sauer was the only company identified through market research that could provide the necessary various Sig Sauer Systems (firearms), namely the SP2022, MPX, and the MCX along with silencers and associated accessories to include magazines and spare parts which met the Government’s requirements for a Commercial off the Shelf (COTS). The acquisition of production items from sources other than Sig Sauer will not meet schedule requirements."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/07/09/us-army-awards-sig-sauer-contract-for-sp2022-mpx-and-the-mcx/

C-grunt
07-10-18, 17:53
From what Ive read elsewhere this is likely "military aid" to another nation.

ggammell
07-10-18, 18:46
The number of people flipping out (on other forums/comment sections) over this is ridiculous.

Slater
07-10-18, 20:06
Seems like it would be free publicity for SIG.

RetroRevolver77
07-10-18, 21:17
They could also be wanting to field test these for a larger contract. Noticed they cancelled the subgun contract a few days ago. Maybe they decided to give the MPX a serious look. Not to mention the SP2022 from all accounts is a very solid design. While I'm not a fan of SIG USA's business practices, they are attempting to design some more modern weaponry.

SteyrAUG
07-10-18, 21:26
They could also be wanting to field test these for a larger contract. Noticed they cancelled the subgun contract a few days ago. Maybe they decided to give the MPX a serious look. Not to mention the SP2022 from all accounts is a very solid design. While I'm not a fan of SIG USA's business practices, they are attempting to design some more modern weaponry.

Pretty sure my SP2022 is actually made in Germany. And it has been "old Sig" reliable.

Slater
07-10-18, 21:45
SIG seems to be doing well with the US Army as of late. The M17/M18 contract, their TANGO6 1-6×24 scope has been selected as the new SDMR optic, and now this.

Apparently the Army ordered around 5,000 2022's back in 2004 (IIRC) for some reason.

Arik
07-11-18, 09:02
Pretty sure my SP2022 is actually made in Germany. And it has been "old Sig" reliable.I believe mine says "frame made in Switzerland"

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-11-18, 10:35
The number of people flipping out (on other forums/comment sections) over this is ridiculous.

For what reason?

Is the sub gun contract you mention the one where they got a sample of every sub ever made?

RetroRevolver77
07-11-18, 12:34
Is the sub gun contract you mention the one where they got a sample of every sub ever made?

Yes, TFB stated the Army cancelled that contract then three days later stated they bought a bunch of different SIG carbines, subguns, and handguns.

MAC torture tests the MCX- which performs miserably. All the SIG hyped tests I've seen show the MCX running perfectly from dust tests, sand tests, mud tests, to over the beach tests. I was impressed honestly until watching this video where MAC just dunks the MCX in a pond or in a little mud and the MCX shuts down. Overall I don't think the MCX performs any better than an M4. Someone needs to come up with an entirely new rifle system, a weapon designed to function in extreme environments, has room for debris around the components especially the carrier group, and be able to pass some basic torture tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LFCQVLsrnk

Averageman
07-13-18, 04:32
I have an honest and well deserved hatred for any carbine made in America that someone had the nerve to place the name Sig on.
Honestly, I've owned two and they were both shoddy pieces of crap, one went back to Sig, the next one I traded off before I hit 200 rounds down range.
I cannot express my total disdain for my experience without my blood pressure raising a bit. I ranted here and on other boards about my experience with them until I finally got to talk to a VP. This didn't fix the problem, they simply sent me another crappy carbine with different issues after six months of waiting.

RetroRevolver77
07-13-18, 13:13
I have an honest and well deserved hatred for any carbine made in America that someone had the nerve to place the name Sig on.
Honestly, I've owned two and they were both shoddy pieces of crap, one went back to Sig, the next one I traded off before I hit 200 rounds down range.
I cannot express my total disdain for my experience without my blood pressure raising a bit. I ranted here and on other boards about my experience with them until I finally got to talk to a VP. This didn't fix the problem, they simply sent me another crappy carbine with different issues after six months of waiting.

I had a similar experience with two SIG 556's. They weren't reliable at all.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-13-18, 13:19
Yes, TFB stated the Army cancelled that contract then three days later stated they bought a bunch of different SIG carbines, subguns, and handguns.

MAC torture tests the MCX- which performs miserably. All the SIG hyped tests I've seen show the MCX running perfectly from dust tests, sand tests, mud tests, to over the beach tests. I was impressed honestly until watching this video where MAC just dunks the MCX in a pond or in a little mud and the MCX shuts down. Overall I don't think the MCX performs any better than an M4. Someone needs to come up with an entirely new rifle system, a weapon designed to function in extreme environments, has room for debris around the components especially the carrier group, and be able to pass some basic torture tests.

You mean an AK? So we are going to buy PKMs? ;)

RetroRevolver77
07-13-18, 14:04
You mean an AK? So we are going to buy PKMs? ;)

They just need to come up with something better overall, something purposely designed to function in less than ideal conditions. Mainly having room around the components to account for sand and debris. I do like the way the MCX is developing but there needs to be sand cuts or reliefs on the carrier group for mud in case it gets dirty along with an adverse setting for the gas piston.