PDA

View Full Version : Favorite suppressor / silencer / can cover?!

Stickman
07-14-18, 16:09
http://soldiersystems.net/…/F886A54F-203B-4DC0-8E8D-365052E…

Here is a question for Can and wannabe can owners... Do you have need or interest in a $100 can cover that makes your can 2.5" thick and adds .6lbs to the front of your weapon?

http://www.bowersgroup.com/…/griptasticsupcov-high-temp-si…/

Or would you rather go with something like the Bowers group cover which adds little girth or weight and costs $35 or so.

It isn't a trick question, but more along the lines of how much technology and new products are worth, thought it may be worth pointing out that neither of these can covers are using "new" technology in a general sense.

The above is a question I just threw up on social media, but was more interested in the thoughts and feedback from people who spend time on a dedicated weapon forum. I put up the link to SolidierSystems to show what one of the new can covers on the market looks like. For people who don't click the link, the newest offering from Magpul is using a stainless steel cover which uses stand off pieces to give airflow topped by a heat resistant polymer cover. The Bowers Group model is lighter weight and much lower profile, but there is an assumption that it may retain the heat inside the can longer, however persons are reporting they can pick the can up after three magazines fired quickly, so there isn't much question it works.

Do you have a favorite suppressor / silencer / can cover that you use, or have used? What did you like or not like about it? Have you used either of the above? If so, what are your thoughts?

Furbyballer
07-14-18, 16:17
I use bowers suppressor covers on all my cans and they have yet to let me down or not handle the mirage. I have no interest in magpuls suppressor cover due to the extra weight and added diameter. I run accessories past the locking collar of my rc2s and the magpul cover would make me change several configurations i am currently very happy with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

joeg26er
07-14-18, 16:58
The magpul cover Sounds like the idea I proposed earlier
It’s pretty logical design

Stickman
07-14-18, 17:32
I use bowers suppressor covers on all my cans and they have yet to let me down or not handle the mirage. I have no interest in magpuls suppressor cover due to the extra weight and added diameter. I run accessories past the locking collar of my rc2s and the magpul cover would make me change several configurations i am currently very happy with.

I stick lights out in front of my muzzle as well.

Stickman
07-14-18, 17:35

It is, the idea of using a stand off to cool things isn't new. Most hot plates have them in use on our dinner tables.

I wouldn't be stunned if Magpul was aiming this idea at the military as more troops start using cans on a regular basis. Then again, any company like Magpul would be crazy if they didn't have Military applications in mind on many of their products.

Renegade
07-14-18, 17:37
http://soldiersystems.net/…/F886A54F-203B-4DC0-8E8D-365052E…
Here is a question for Can and wannabe can owners... Do you have need or interest in a $100 can cover that makes your can 2.5" thick and adds .6lbs to the front of your weapon?

None whatsoever.

That behemoth is a just a litmus test to see how far fanbois will go.

gunnerblue
07-14-18, 17:49

I’m sure it is and I’m sure it works, being a Magpul product. Personally I have no interest in adding or trying to balance another half pound on the end of my carbine.

Kenneth
07-15-18, 08:25
Bowers group is what I use.

Being able to grab the can after shooting is it’s main perk to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stickman
07-15-18, 13:18
Bowers group is what I use.

Being able to grab the can after shooting is it’s main perk to me.

Put it on and leave it on? One of the issues I've seen is the covers that come and and off easily end up getting shot off. Covers that lock on tight stay on the can and don't get swapped around.

Stickman
07-15-18, 13:20
I’m sure it is and I’m sure it works, being a Magpul product.

I have little doubt it will work at least as well as what is currently on the market. I wonder what the clone/ copiers will come up with as the Magpul cover is knocked off?

Furbyballer
07-15-18, 13:50
Put it on and leave it on? One of the issues I've seen is the covers that come and and off easily end up getting shot off. Covers that lock on tight stay on the can and don't get swapped around.I undersize my covers and never take them off. I have thousands of rounds on them and they move slightly, but none have fallen off or moved significantly enough for me to consider replacing them. I buy the 1.375 diameter sleeves for my surefire cans which have 1.5 diameter.

Kenneth
07-15-18, 20:49
Put it on and leave it on? One of the issues I've seen is the covers that come and and off easily end up getting shot off. Covers that lock on tight stay on the can and don't get swapped around.

Yea mine on the Omega went in with a little soap and water. Now it’s stuck pretty well on. I have no use to remove it but could if needed.

The bowers silicone will get hot if shooting a lot but you can remove the can from the rifle way before you could without a cover.

When running a suppressor it never fails that it will find your leg/hand or some other bare skin. They get too damn hot not to be covered.

Stickman
07-18-18, 11:26
It looks like the Magpul can covers are already selling for $85, and by the time they go on sale, or get mainstream, they will probably be even cheaper. I think there is a mental block at $100, and had the cover been released with a MSRP of $89 it would not have met with the backlash that it did. However, that is just an assumption on my part based on watching people and the market. Either way, it is $85 and in stock at the below link.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Magpul-5-5-Suppressor-Cover-Heat-Mirage-Mitigation-p/mag781.htm

markm
07-18-18, 11:55
I can't even stand the weight of the can on my ARs. On a bolt gun, however, I wouldn't be bothered by some weight/size.

joeg26er
07-18-18, 12:30
It looks like the Magpul can covers are already selling for $85, and by the time they go on sale, or get mainstream, they will probably be even cheaper. I think there is a mental block at $100, and had the cover been released with a MSRP of $89 it would not have met with the backlash that it did. However, that is just an assumption on my part based on watching people and the market. Either way, it is $85 and in stock at the below link.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Magpul-5-5-Suppressor-Cover-Heat-Mirage-Mitigation-p/mag781.htm

I was interested until I saw how short and heavy they are
Almost 10oz and only 5.5 inches long
They are leaving the market wide open for a cover that’s half the weight and longer

Metallic silicone tubes/fins and a layer of carbon fiber felt with a thin high temperature weave

26 Inf
07-18-18, 19:51
I'm probably the odd guy out but I like my MANTA. I cut an inch off mine to fit my Omega, so I guess it weighs about 6 ounces.

I don't do mag dumps, generally don't fire a whole bunch of rounds without letting the rifle hang, or putting it down for a couple of minutes while I paint, paste, or set up targets.

I solved my light problems by putting a short piece of pic rail on my ALG tube and using this mount: https://www.magpul.com/products/rail-light-mount-left-or-right

Works for me.

recchavo
08-22-19, 18:23
Love my Surefire SOCOMShttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190822/51f5286d7314f8330d3013892bfbb9e9.jpg

elephant
03-29-20, 23:50
Do you have need or interest in a $100 can cover that makes your can 2.5" thick and adds .6lbs to the front of your weapon?

Short answer....yes! If you ever get a chance, take a laser thermometer to the range and get a temp check after 30 rounds. You should get a reading around 750-850 degrees. You probably wouldn't grab it bare handed or at least if you did, you would only do it once.

Stickman
03-31-20, 22:54
Short answer....yes! If you ever get a chance, take a laser thermometer to the range and get a temp check after 30 rounds. You should get a reading around 750-850 degrees. You probably wouldn't grab it bare handed or at least if you did, you would only do it once.

Lol, I had a buddy lean up his weapon with can against the rear plastic bumper of his Tahoe. It did a nice quick melt job.

zombiescometh
03-31-20, 23:52
I went with the bowers group cover as first cover to try out and used some camo form tape to prevent the cover from slipping off.

My suppressor is a sandman k and decided to test out the suppressor cover on my 10 inch AR.

I shot 90 rounds mostly slow fire with some double taps here and there.

It held up well through 60 rounds ok to touch and still a good sight picture but during the last 30 shots it started to smoke and when I took it off it left a little of the suppressor material on the can which my dumb ass touched trying to wipe it off.

Even though it started smoking it didn’t slip off the can, I was still able to touch it without burning myself and once it cooled down a bit it allowed me to remove the can without gloves. Just don’t go over 60 continuous rounds. Plus with the cost I don’t mind if I wreck it.

LOBO
08-19-22, 17:55
Waiting for my can to get out of jail. What is the preferred cover now a days?

1_click_off
08-20-22, 22:40
I run a rifles only HAD. Works great, but it adds weight. I like the thinner profile of it. I don’t run covers on AR’s due to added weight, so it only comes out when I am shooting my bolt rifles.

LOBO
08-21-22, 14:59
Thank you! I'll check it out.

LOBO
05-28-23, 19:42
Been a bit, but this is what I went with

https://www.cole-tac.com/product/htp-suppressor-cover/

Full disclosure: I haven't used it yet. The gun shop where I got my suppressor put me on to them. The store owner has them on all of his suppressors and swears by them.