PDA

View Full Version : Proper torque for picatinny.

Mr McSimon
07-16-18, 21:35
I was just wondering, is there a rule of thumb as to the proper amount of torque to use for picatinny mounted accessories? Optic mounts, light mounts, etc. I've just been careful not to over tighten and use blue Locktight, but I've been curios if there's a standard?

titsonritz
07-16-18, 21:49
I tightened to the German spec, gutentight.

elephantrider
07-16-18, 22:36
I was just wondering, is there a rule of thumb as to the proper amount of torque to use for picatinny mounted accessories? Optic mounts, light mounts, etc. I've just been careful not to over tighten and use blue Locktight, but I've been curios if there's a standard?

It depends on what is being bolted onto the picatinny, not on the picatinny itself. The 'correct' torque depends on several factors: thread pitch, threaded material (steel?, aluminum? what grade/alloy?), bolt diameter, bolt material, thread locker etc. Optic mounts using cross bolt/nut arrangements like Geissele, Nightforce, Badger take roughly 60-75 inch-lbs. Smaller light mounts might be only 15-30 inch-lbs. They both mount to picatinny, but torque all depends on the bolt arrangement that is used. If you know the materials used, you can get an estimate from a torque calculator from a fastener mfg. website (if you like to split hairs).

Mr McSimon
07-16-18, 23:41
It depends on what is being bolted onto the picatinny, not on the picatinny itself. The 'correct' torque depends on several factors: thread pitch, threaded material (steel?, aluminum? what grade/alloy?), bolt diameter, bolt material, thread locker etc. Optic mounts using cross bolt/nut arrangements like Geissele, Nightforce, Badger take roughly 60-75 inch-lbs. Smaller light mounts might be only 15-30 inch-lbs. They both mount to picatinny, but torque all depends on the bolt arrangement that is used. If you know the materials used, you can get an estimate from a torque calculator from a fastener mfg. website (if you like to split hairs).

Now that's an answer I can sink my teeth into, and makes perfect sense.

I tightened to the German spec, gutentight.

And that's pretty much the spec I've been following.