PDA

View Full Version : FN 509 Tactical RDS-ready pistol

MountainRaven
07-19-18, 15:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMavZXpwvpI

FN 509 Tactical | FN (https://fnamerica.com/products/fn-509-series/fn-509-tactical/)

Looks like the market finally has a good, factory option for mounting an RDS on a pistol. And it's not just a 509 designed to take an MRDS, it's also got some improvements like Vickers Tactical-style slide locks and scalloping around the magazine release. And they come with 24-round magazines.

Now FN just needs to make a G19-sized version.

First Look: FN 509 Tactical Red Dot Ready Pistol | RECOIL (http://www.recoilweb.com/first-look-fn-509-tactical-red-dot-ready-pistol-139610.html)

Waylander
07-19-18, 22:31
At first I was hoping they would release a standard tactical model before this but I like it.

It's a smart move to be Leupold compatible unlike the Sig 320 optics ready models.

I'm not sure if they will make a G19 size. I'm curious to see if they go that route in addition to a sub compact. They do seem to be listening to customer demands more than in the past, though.

Vandal
07-20-18, 00:27
At first I was hoping they would release a standard tactical model before this but I like it.

I think RDS comparability will become the new standard for handguns advertised as "tactical" models.

doodi1
07-20-18, 12:39
I was not in the market for another FN pistol. (already have a FNP45, a FNP45 Tactical and a FNX45 Tactical) but this one has changed my mind. I just wish they would have some cross compatibility with their magazines. It seems like every new pistol they come out with has a different magazine.

WickedWillis
07-20-18, 14:32
Seems to take some inspiration from the ATOM slides. Which is in no way a bad thing. This really gets me interested in the 509. Good on FN.

RAM Engineer
07-20-18, 16:09
I was not in the market for another FN pistol. (already have a FNP45, a FNP45 Tactical and a FNX45 Tactical) but this one has changed my mind. I just wish they would have some cross compatibility with their magazines. It seems like every new pistol they come out with has a different magazine.

IIRC, the 509 uses the same magazine bodies as the FNS, but the difference in frame/baseplate interface means you need to change baseplates if you want to use an FNS mag in a 509 and vice versa

Gary1911A1
07-21-18, 14:22
Rural King sent me an Email today with an offer on one: https://www.rkguns.com/fn-509-tactical-9mm-double-action-pistol-66-100373.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-2018-07-21-fn-509-tactical&utm_campaign=fn-509-tactical&utm_content=email-img-fn-509-tactical&_bta_tid=02017970185476410911416005513647860521291907617217403325581694351429114377111981677306539456849067887209

RHINOWSO
07-22-18, 12:44
Love me some FN rifles - pistols, not so much.

indianalex01
07-22-18, 22:54
That is a steep price. GB you can get them for 820$ I did.

NotDylan
07-28-18, 21:44
Really like this. How does the 509 compare to the M&P 2.0, P10, and gen5 Glocks?

indianalex01
07-28-18, 23:04
Really like this. How does the 509 compare to the M&P 2.0, P10, and gen5 Glocks?

It compares well. It’s such a subjective question. All those pistols you mentioned are great. I have all of the ones you mentioned. Glocks are not my favorite but another person will say they are his favorite. All modern day pistols are great. There is no magical better then the rest pistol. Go to a range and try the verious Guns you mentioned and see what you like. Pick the one for you and stick with it and train with it.

Talon762
07-29-18, 13:45
-snip

Gary1911A1
07-30-18, 11:45
I haven't shot the FN509, but I do think their FNS is a greatly underrated pistol. I like the grip, trigger and out of the box sights. It has been 100% reliable too. The only downside is the cost of magazines. They are more than HK Mags.

doodi1
07-30-18, 17:00
I haven't shot the FN509, but I do think their FNS is a greatly underrated pistol. I like the grip, trigger and out of the box sights. It has been 100% reliable too. The only downside is the cost of magazines. They are more than HK Mags.

They have to do something about their magazine cost if they want to be more popular with the masses. They are always coming out with new pistols that take totally different magazines. I have the FNP-9 and the FNP-40 (the FNX line takes a different magazine and then the FNS line comes out and takes yet another magazine), the FNP-45 and the FNP-45 Tactical, Then bought an FNX-45 Tactical which has different magazines than the FNP-45. No continuity at all. At least CZ, SIG and even H&K has some compatibility between different pistol lines. FN comes out with new lines and forgets their legacy models. FN has to be better about this.

I usually buy up to 10 magazines for every pistol i own. It gets to be expensive when you buy the magazines and then a couple of years later the manufacturer comes out with a very similar pistol which takes a totally different magazine. Of course their magazine prices don't help at all either.

MountainRaven
07-30-18, 19:05
LAV just uploaded a video on the new 509:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCPFGjcwso

ETA: Actually, it was uploaded a couple of days ago, but I somehow missed it until now.

07-30-18, 21:21
seems really nice and good price, could be a nice EDC for my wife.

HD1911
07-31-18, 07:41
Love me some FN rifles - pistols, not so much.

This.

ShipWreck
08-02-18, 09:25
I love FN rifles. I have a PS90 , and previously owned two other PS90s and a FN SCAR 16. And, I have read that the 509 is made better than the FNS... But.... After this thread, I would not buy an FN handgun again (I owned an FNP years ago) : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24700-So-I-broke-my-FNS-9L

Granted, the thread is 24 pages, but worth reading in its entirety...

There seems to be an issue on the FNS series on what the lifespan of the gun is, and the maintenance schedule (which FN won't release). And, they denied a warranty repair because the guy didn't follow a schedule of having the gun checked BY FN every 2k rounds. That is ridiculous!

As someone on that thread said:
I realize this is not an actual maintenance schedule, but the FNS manual does say the gun should be checked by FN or a gunsmith every 2,000 rounds. Yeah, I know. That's what it says, though.

Don't do that, and they can deny a warranty claim it seems. I don't know if this new Fn pistol is treated the same as the FNS series, but this is just pure ridiculous...

Another comment on the thread:

As I read that manual, with its horrible grammar and lack of punctuation, your pistol needs to be inspected by a certified armorer every 2,000 rounds OR every year. It does not say "whichever comes first." The BS about how your pistol is such a finely tuned machine that your neanderthal mind can't possibly comprehend the complexity, leading to its certain destruction if you do more than field strip pisses me off so badly that I would NEVER buy any FN product, EVER. Sure, you're not a certified armorer, and I'm sure it's more complex than a GLOCK, but, sure as a bear shits in the woods, I wouldn't own a pistol that I have to ship off to the mothership ON MY DIME every couple of weeks/months.

Gunnar da Wolf
08-02-18, 10:30
I got a chance to fondle one of these at a gun store last week. The grip is nice, the sights were good, the trigger felt good, all the controls were placed where they needed to be. I’d rather it came with three 17 round magazines with the option to buy the 24 rounders. FN mags are in the HK level of expensive but I wonder what percentage of gun owners consider mags as a wear/loss item and actually buy more than a couple extra if any?

Luckily for my marital bliss the store was not in my home state. After seeing FN’s lack of CS I’m doubly lucky.

Waylander
08-02-18, 17:16
I love FN rifles. I have a PS90 , and previously owned two other PS90s and a FN SCAR 16. And, I have read that the 509 is made better than the FNS... But.... After this thread, I would not buy an FN handgun again (I owned an FNP years ago) : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24700-So-I-broke-my-FNS-9L

There seems to be an issue on the FNS series on what the lifespan of the gun is, and the maintenance schedule (which FN won't release). And, they denied a warranty repair because the guy didn't follow a schedule of having the gun checked BY FN every 2k rounds. That is ridiculous!

Don't do that, and they can deny a warranty claim it seems. I don't know if this new Fn pistol is treated the same as the FNS series, but this is just pure ridiculous...

No offense intended, but I think you and several other people in that thread are assuming a lot based on third and fourth hand information from what seems an admitted temperamental jerk.

He had fired the gun for over 16k rounds and the thing was filthy when he sent it in.

To get technical, you stating it has to be inspected by FN isn't true. They *suggest* you have it inspected by a qualified gunsmith or if you don't want to do that, send it in. Basic maintenance is common sense. If you abuse something by not taking care of it and demand free repairs, be prepared for a shock.

People basing buying decisions on an anecdotal case like this is silly but that's just me.

indianalex01
08-03-18, 23:31
This.
Aren’t we past the point of vague answers with no explanation???? Come on man. How about not posting if this is the diarrhea that you are going to spray out.

Talon762
08-04-18, 13:17

Considering my dealings with FN CS has been nothing but great im sure there's alot more to the story than what that guy is saying

ShipWreck
08-04-18, 14:52
Considering my dealings with FN CS has been nothing but great im sure there's alot more to the story than what that guy is saying

Maybe.... Anything is possible....

But, you are the only I have seen in over a year who claimed FN customer service was good.

I ran the FN Forum for a few years. They USED to have good customer service around a decade ago, but they got rid of the 1 guy everyone loved many years back. I have seen probably 6 complaints of their customer service on various gun forums in just the past week alone. And my own contact with their customer service 2 years ago left much to be desired.

Now, I love some of their products, so I am not a hater. And, its been a while since I read that 24 page thread, but my recollection of that thread differs from the other guy.

Anyway, if you are happy, that is great. Just thought some people may be interested.

indianalex01
08-04-18, 21:28
Maybe.... Anything is possible....

But, you are the only I have seen in over a year who claimed FN customer service was good.

I ran the FN Forum for a few years. They USED to have good customer service around a decade ago, but they got rid of the 1 guy everyone loved many years back. I have seen probably 6 complaints of their customer service on various gun forums in just the past week alone. And my own contact with their customer service 2 years ago left much to be desired.

Now, I love some of their products, so I am not a hater. And, its been a while since I read that 24 page thread, but my recollection of that thread differs from the other guy.

Anyway, if you are happy, that is great. Just thought some people may be interested.

FN has terrible customer service. I own 4 different weapons from them. I sent in my FN SPR for Warrentee service and they scraped up the barrel. I sent them pic and they gave me excuse after excuse and I just got tired and worn down and gave up. I am still pissed about it. I still got me an FN 509 and a 509 Tactical.

Waylander
08-06-18, 18:39
So......anyway.

Does somebody have the gun to give some actual feedback?

everready73
08-06-18, 20:27
MAC just put up a video on it in YouTube. I didn't watch the whole thing but he was having trouble running subs with a suppressor. Ejection feeding, and not locking back issues.

Other than that it looked good. He was banging away on a steel plate at 50 yards with his rmr

everready73
08-06-18, 20:28
He did say it came with a reduced power spring but that wasn't working either so probably need to run with full pressure ammo. It was only a sample of 1 though

MountainRaven
08-08-18, 00:08
MAC posted on Facebook that it appears to be an issue with the light and suppressor combination: Remove the light and it works. Swap the can for a different can with the same light and it works.

Nightstalker865
08-08-18, 19:55
MAC posted on Facebook that it appears to be an issue with the light and suppressor combination: Remove the light and it works. Swap the can for a different can with the same light and it works.

Sounds like a garbage can...

Really hoping this gun catches on and holds up to abuse. We need a solid OEM mounting solution for RDS’s. This is the first one that really shows promise and Ingenuity in design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadAngler1
08-08-18, 20:39
Not to flame MAC, but he always runs odd ball ammo. Why didn’t he run subsonic ammo from Remington or Winchester? Why not NATO spec ammo? How about a military issue 9 mm can?

Regardless, I already have a Glock 17 with an Aimpoint T1 six second mount. Not sure why I need the FN, but I’ll try one out whenever my local shop gets one to rent.

Waylander
08-11-18, 15:19
Not to flame MAC, but he always runs odd ball ammo. Why didn’t he run subsonic ammo from Remington or Winchester? Why not NATO spec ammo?

Normally I see him shoot either Freedom Munitions questionable quality or Fiocchi. I'm not sure why he chose this other questionable quality ammo. It seemed the gun was fresh out of the box so maybe there was some packing grease he didn't clean out.

Now he's saying the light and Blackhawk/Silencerco can won't work together but the can by itself will. He also says other cans will work with the light. Weird.

ETA
I see the can issue has already been addressed.